Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Discussion Thread

The Dude Abides

Status

Re: Boxing Discussion Thread

Yeah, if he loses that could pretty well be it for Cotto as a bankable commodity in any sense of the word, but I think a lot more of him than that and happen to think he's a lot better than the level of competition he's facing. He should be down at Welterweight still taking out the trash that's floating around. Word on the wire is that Cotto wants a rematch with Mayweather. I'd love to see that personally because I think Cotto was more successful against him than anyone in recent years. Maybe having another crack at it is all he needs.

Also don't forget Wladimir Klitschko is fighting Alexander Povetkin Saturday. Klitschko is the heavy favorite obviously but Povetkin is a legit challenger who's been working his way up the ranks, currently holds the WBA title, and is a perfect 26-0. It should actually be a pretty good fight. Povetkin has the head movement to make Wladimir miss with his heavy load of jabs, and that's going to be KEY in trying to get inside against Klitschko. Povetkin is giving up considerable height, weight, and reach so getting inside to shorten Klitschko's punches will be very important, and he has to try and avoid the Klitschko Clinch by getting in and out quickly. If Povetkin can do that and keep Klitschko at an uncomfortable pace, he has a very good shot, even though he isn't a big power puncher.

I'll be posting later with some of the latest news from the world of boxing, there's plenty of stuff to report on.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

Shuyaku

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by The Game Rage View Post
    Yeah, if he loses that could pretty well be it for Cotto as a bankable commodity in any sense of the word, but I think a lot more of him than that and happen to think he's a lot better than the level of competition he's facing. He should be down at Welterweight still taking out the trash that's floating around. Word on the wire is that Cotto wants a rematch with Mayweather. I'd love to see that personally because I think Cotto was more successful against him than anyone in recent years. Maybe having another crack at it is all he needs.

Also don't forget Wladimir Klitschko is fighting Alexander Povetkin Saturday. Klitschko is the heavy favorite obviously but Povetkin is a legit challenger who's been working his way up the ranks, currently holds the WBA title, and is a perfect 26-0. It should actually be a pretty good fight. Povetkin has the head movement to make Wladimir miss with his heavy load of jabs, and that's going to be KEY in trying to get inside against Klitschko. Povetkin is giving up considerable height, weight, and reach so getting inside to shorten Klitschko's punches will be very important, and he has to try and avoid the Klitschko Clinch by getting in and out quickly. If Povetkin can do that and keep Klitschko at an uncomfortable pace, he has a very good shot, even though he isn't a big power puncher.

I'll be posting later with some of the latest news from the world of boxing, there's plenty of stuff to report on.
    Were bringing sexy back Rage, Boxing style.As for a rematch with Mayweather with Cotto yeah, I never saw Mayweather take a beating like that since, a rematch would be awesome.Also with the Chavez thing, Andre Ward wants to face him?

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

The Dude Abides

Status

BREAKING NEWS!!! THE HOTTEST NEWS OFF THE WIRE!!!!

Floyd Mayweather Jr has set his next fight for May 3rd against none other than Amir "King" Khan!

Khan was supposed to fight welterweight contender Devon Alexander on Dec. 7th but pulled out of the fight to ensure the payday with Mayweather. Let the banter begin!

I personally felt that Timothy Bradley would be the best choice from a Boxing fans perspective if a fight with Pacquiao couldn't be made, and this sentiment was also shared by some of the boxing press, thinking the natural fight would be the winner of Marquez-Bradley.

However, this is yet another smart move on the part of Floyd Mayweather Jr, Amir Khan has a large British fan following which will help to make the fight a financial success. The one peculiarity of this choice is that Mayweather generally likes to pick opponents coming off of impressive wins, where Khan has failed to impress in any of his last four fights, two of which were losses. Still, money talks and this fight is expected to generate $200 mill and you can't argue with that.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

In other news revolving around Floyd Mayweather, apparently his father Floyd Mayweather Sr was in favor of making the Pacquiao fight happen, seeing it as the biggest money fight they could make right now. Danny Garcia was also being a considered for Floyd's next fight until this latest development with Amir Khan.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Recently defeated Floyd Mayweather opponent Canelo Alvarez is said to be interested in fighting Miguel Cotto for his next fight. Cotto in the mean time is scheduled to fight low ranked Devlin Rodriguez in a Super Welterweight/ Junior Middleweight bout soon and is seeking a rematch with Mayweather himself if he beats Rodriquez.

Yes, Andre Ward has expressed a great deal of interest in fighting Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. This is a fight that couldn't take place anytime soon however because Chavez is set to have a rematch with Brian Vera in December, while Ward with be fighting No.7 ranked Super Middleweight Edwin Rodriguez.

Few think Chavez would be interested because it's a fight he would likely lose, it's a mismatch for him with no real upside. Ward likely sees it as a route to a nice PPV payday as well as a way to gain more mainstream appeal by beating a name with more marquee value than his own. That is Wards whole issue; he's beat everyone there is to beat but still isn't a big time attraction. He needs someone to make him a star but there's no one out there with the star power to do so.

Carl Froch is Wards most immediate challenger, ranked #1, but Froch doesn't want that fight because he knows he can't win it having been easily bested in the final of the Super Six World Boxing Classic held by Showtime. Ward doesn't want it because he's already beat him and they couldn't make any serious money together. That opportunity has already past which is why Ward is fighting Rodriguez.

Carl Froch's promoter Eddie Hearn wants to set up a fight between Froch and Gennady Golovkin, but Golovkin has no interest in a fight with Froch either. It's the same story as with Ward; there's no money there in PPV or otherwise because neither is a big enough Star.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Golovkin-Ward is the fight that needs to happen in the middleweight division but once again PPV numbers and drawing power are a major blockade to the fight happening.

Golovkin-Ward is the fight that boxing fans deserve, Ward-Chavez is the fight that we need.

Chavez may be damaged goods after the bad decision win over Vera, but he has the opportunity to restore enough credibility in the upcoming rematch that is in the works. He's the most bankable opponent for Andre Ward right now and that could serve as a catalyst to the fight we deserve by making Ward capable of drawing stronger after a win against someone with at least marginal marquee value.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

Shuyaku

Status

Hmm Mayweather vs Khan, I'll watch the fight..but come on Mayweather at least put guys who's been through wars and have experience.As much as I love Garcia too from Phila, Mayweather should wiped the floor with both men.I think the general fan doesn't even know who is Khan, they better sell him like the greatest Boxer ever, to make people buy this PPV.

Real Women of Genius

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Shuyaku

Status

Real Women of Genius

Shuyaku

Status

Legendary Nights - The Tale of Gatti Ward, this was recently shown on HBO, new too bad Gatti isn't alive, would of loved to hear from now, speaking about the battles with Ward many moons ago.

Real Women of Genius

Shuyaku

Status

Face Off: Pacquiao/Rios, I can't wait for this fight.Pacman get that win you need it badly!

Real Women of Genius

Shuyaku

Status

Pacman returns..

Real Women of Genius

Shuyaku

Status

Sad to see all those lives lost from the tragedy, go get that win for your country Pacman!

Real Women of Genius

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

You missed a great night of fights last night if you weren't tuned into Showtime last night. The 147-154 division looks SO strong right now, obviously with Mayweather up top, and guys like Maidana, Canelo, Broner, Keith Thurman, Lara and Porter all up-and-coming and some are on the verge of greatness, and even stalwarts like Pac, Bradley, Ortiz, Lopez, Trout, and Paulie all being formidable and dangerous. I think 2014 is going to be not only a great year of fights, but a pivotal year in the foundation of all of boxing. Plus i'm starting to get a feeling Sergio could come down to be Floyd's next opponent this year. I hope that happens but either way, there's going to be great fights, and it should be a great year.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Shuyaku

Status

Yeah I saw the fights and boy this division will be entertaining to see.Let's talk about Broner vs Maidana, Maidana unleashed a fury like I've never seen done on a fighter like that in first two rounds.Broner even went to the extent to dry hump Maidana to try and get into his head, and it didn't work.Now I give Broner some guts because in various rounds he was taking shots like crazy, and got some of his own on Maidana.I felt Maidana started to tire out, and Broner took over a little while till Maidana knocked down Broner once again.I would say one of the best fights of the year, and it fight was crazy with both guys showing their love for each other lol.El Chino vs Broner 2 yes please!

Real Women of Genius

Status

I thought Maidana totally owned the fight besides some late round tiredness and Broner pushing hard the last two rounds. I marked out huge when Maidana returned the favor on the dryhump in the 11th round. It was a great moment and an impressive fight for Maidana. I think Broner has a long way to go to reach the top tier like he was being marketed as the next big thing. He kinda punked out by walking out of the ring after he lost too, not to mention that embarrassing headbutt sell job he put on for the ref. But he clearly has a lot of talent, but i'd rather him become more well rounded before he goes to the Maidana well again tbh.

I'd be much more interested if Floyd was fighting Maidana instead of Khan next.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Shuyaku

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I thought Maidana totally owned the fight besides some late round tiredness and Broner pushing hard the last two rounds. I marked out huge when Maidana returned the favor on the dryhump in the 11th round. It was a great moment and an impressive fight for Maidana. I think Broner has a long way to go to reach the top tier like he was being marketed as the next big thing. He kinda punked out by walking out of the ring after he lost too, not to mention that embarrassing headbutt sell job he put on for the ref. But he clearly has a lot of talent, but i'd rather him become more well rounded before he goes to the Maidana well again tbh.

I'd be much more interested if Floyd was fighting Maidana instead of Khan next.
    Oh hell Maidana would be on the offensive and do what he likes to do best, which Broner didn't like, maul him.How many times did we see Maidana grab him into the ropes of corner and pound on hips etc.I was legit laughing my ass off seeing the crowd cheer for Maidana returning the dry humping lol.

Real Women of Genius

Shuyaku

Status

Former junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez said Friday he is putting his September defeat against pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. behind him and is anxious for his March 8 ring return against brawling Mexican countryman Alfredo Angulo.

"This is a great fight for me and for the fans and I can't wait to get back in the ring on March 8," said Alvarez, of the fight that will headline a Showtime PPV card at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. "Angulo is a true warrior and I have to be alert every second of every round when I fight him. I expect that we will put on a fight no one will ever forget."

[+] EnlargeAngulo
    Holly Stein/Getty Images
    Alfredo Angulo knocked down Erislandy Lara twice in their June 2013 bout before suffering a late eye injury and losing by TKO.
    Angulo is also coming back from a loss -- a 10th-round TKO against Erislandy Lara on June 8 in a fight in which he suffered a badly damaged orbital bone – and looking to re-establish himself.

"Canelo is a great young fighter who has earned his way to the top," Angulo said. "That being said, I know I'm hungrier than he is right now and I will take him to places he has never been. Our fans in Mexico and around the world will see what we're all about when we fight."

Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer and Alvarez's team talked about various opponents, including junior middleweight titleholder Carlos Molina and interim titlist Lara. But Alvarez (42-1-1, 30 KOs) picked Angulo (22-3, 18 KOs), the opponent Golden Boy was pushing for.

"When we presented opponents to Canelo for his return fight, he immediately took the man who he expected would give him the toughest challenge in the ring and who also would help him give the fans the most exciting fight possible," Schaefer said. "Alfredo Angulo fits the bill on all counts and this will not only be a stern test for Canelo, but I know fight fans are going to see all action from start to finish."

Schaefer is laying it on a bit thick as it relates to Angulo being the toughest challenge because Molina and Lara, with their slick boxing skills, undoubtedly would give Alvarez a hard time. They are mobile boxers, which does not play to Alvarez's strengths. Angulo hits hard, but he is a straight-ahead slugger more made for Alvarez's style.

Where Schaefer is right on is that Alvarez-Angulo is probably a much more fan friendly fight worth the pay-per-view money compared to matches against Molina or Lara.

From ESPN

Happy to see Canelo ready to kick some ass, two native Mexican fighters ready to put it on the line.One man is trying to show he's one of the best fighters in the world, and the other is coming off a Round ten TKO loss to Lara on June 8.Angulo wants to show the world and beat Canelo, should be a very intense fight.

Real Women of Genius

Status

"He picked the fighter that was the toughest challenge" Uh...Didn't Lara beat Angulo not that long ago? That's some logic there.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Shuyaku

Status

Yeah I thought the same thing Zero but I think it wasn't his injury Angulo probably would of won.Also I guess he thinks versus Angulo the chances to make more, because people love Mexican vs Mexican figths, brutal and the fight might be better?

Real Women of Genius

Shuyaku

Status

Chavez vs Vera 2 on March 1st, I had this bout a split decision for Vera but let's see with Chavez now being a Father and motivated if he can showed the world he can be a top fighter in Boxing.

Real Women of Genius

Shuyaku

Status

Pacquaio vs Bradley 2 I so what Pac-man to shut the mouth of Bradley and get some revenge for that bs decision in their last bout.

Real Women of Genius

Shuyaku

Status

All Access episode 1 man Canelo vs. Angulo is going to be a dog fight to the bitter end!

Real Women of Genius

Status

Did any of y'all see that Garcia/Herrera fight tonight? Oh dear was it a robbery...Also there was almost immediate controversy over Wilder's KO. It was one weird night of boxing, i'll say that.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Thread Information