Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Discussion Thread

The Dude Abides

Status

Re: Boxing Discussion Thread

I also wanted to post the boxing schedule for the next few months, there's a ton of great fights coming that you won't want to miss.

Next Weekend!

September 14th, Live from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada

Saul "Canello" Alvarez VS Floyd "Money" Mayweather

Undercard: Lucas Mattysse VS Danny Garcia.

This is another mega fight! Garcia is an unbeaten 26-0 and has defeated such names as Zab Judah, Erik Morales (twice), Amir Khan (by tko), Kendall Holt, and Nate Campbell on his way. Mattysse (34-2-0-1 w/32 KO's) is arguably the most dangerous and hard hitting light welterweight in boxing, winning 5 of his last 6 fights by KO. They will be fighting for the WBA, WBC, and The Ring Light Welterweight Titles.

Also on September 14th

Marco Huck vs Firat Arslan

And

Joshua Clottey vs Dashon Johnson

September 20th
    Wilfredo Vazquez Jr vs Guillermo Avila

September 28th
    David Haye vs Tyson Fury

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Brian Vera

Tavoris Cloud vs Adonis Stevenson

All on the same card being aired by HBO!

October 5th
    Wladimir Klitschko vs Alexander Povetkin

October 12th
    Timothy Bradley vs Juan Manuel Marquez
    Mike Alvarado vs Ruslan Provodnikov

October 23rd
    Shane Mosley vs Anthony Mundine

October 26th
    Bernard Hopkins vs Karo Murat

November 2nd
    Gennady Golovkin vs Curtis Stevens

November 16th
    David Tua vs Alexander Ustinov

Also

Demetrius Andrade vs Vanes Martirosyan

and the co-feature

Nonito Donaire vs Vic Darchinyan

November 23rd

Manny Pacquiao vs Brandon Rios

and

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Ladies and Gentleman we have an amazing lineup of fights coming for the remainder of the year after an already eventful 2013 in boxing.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

Moon Vulcan S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

That September 28th card looks CRAZY good. Fury's one of the most promising heavyweights to come about in a long time imo, and if he's able to take out a pro like Haye at this stage he could cement himself as one of the top heavyweights in the world and definitely lay claim to England's king of boxing.

Vera actually has an intriguing underdog story and basically was at the end of his career before his recent 5 fight win streak, including handing Serhiy Dzinziruk his only loss. I can't stand Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and am hoping Vera upsets him.

I like Cloud over Stevenson fairly easily.

For next week's show, Matthysse-Garcia is a main event caliber match on it's own and I couldn't think of two more even guys. My gut says if Garcia can survive Matthysse through the distance he'll win. It won't be easy though.

Rooting for Canelo but...yeah. It'll have to be a KO and has been said, i'm just having a hard time seeing that happening.

The boxing world needs more David Tua.
    Shoot Shoot Punch Punch Kick Break Your Limbs And Your Face

The soul of Billy Robinson lives on~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator LIGER FEVER)

Pain does not lie

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by The Game Rage View Post
    For those interested, Chris Arreola just beat the shit out of Seth Mitchell inside of one round in a heavyweight contest for the modest WBC International title. For those who do not know who either man is......

Chris Arreola has a professional record of 36-3 W/31 KO's after tonight's bout. He's fought twice for major titles against Vitali Klitschko and Tomasz Adamek losing on both occasions as he's struggled with his weight and conditioning. With this win tonight he now stands at #2 on the WBC world heavyweight rankings which puts him directly in the sights of Vitali Klitschko once again. Arreola came into tonight's fight at 234lbs after a rigorous training camp and looked like a different fighter than the Chris Arreola I've seen in past years. If he continues this kind of training regiment and continues to get in better shape, he could very well pose a serious threat to the aging WBC champion, Vitali Klitschko.

Seth Mitchell is an up and coming fighter who has only been boxing professionally since 2008. He's fought on many high profile undercards and built up a solid record of 26-2-1 w/19 KO's in his short time as a professional. He hasn't fought any real high caliber heavyweights and tonight was his first test against a seasoned professional with a good record which he lost. Mitchell is still a young 31 years old however, and could still have a bright future in the heavyweight division with some sharpening of his skills.
    We need Arreola to win over Vitali Klitschko, let's be honest the brothers great fighters, they have brought down the whole division with their dominance of Boxers.Hopefully Arreola gets a fight versus Vitali and wins to bring people back in, into the division.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

The Dude Abides

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    That September 28th card looks CRAZY good. Fury's one of the most promising heavyweights to come about in a long time imo, and if he's able to take out a pro like Haye at this stage he could cement himself as one of the top heavyweights in the world and definitely lay claim to England's king of boxing.
    Fury is a solid big man in my estimation. I don't think he's ready for Wladimir or Vitali, but he's well on his way if he steps up the competition and continues to progress at a steady pace. Don't forget about Dereck Chisora either, he's a pretty good British heavyweight. David Price is looking like he's sunk. I'm also curious why we haven't heard more about Richard Towers.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Deontay Wilder in the future as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo View Post
    We need Arreola to win over Vitali Klitschko, let's be honest the brothers great fighters, they have brought down the whole division with their dominance of Boxers.Hopefully Arreola gets a fight versus Vitali and wins to bring people back in, into the division.
    I kind of agree and disagree, not that I don't totally get where you are coming from either. The only reason whatsoever I disagree is because the fact of the matter is that the two of them ARE so head and shoulders, far and away, better than everyone else, they should be where they are and I wouldn't want anything but the best at the top. Other than that I'm completely on the same page. I'd actually rather see Vitali hand it up and Wladimir to get the WBC title so we had an undisputed champion again, then let the rest of the competition come.

There are several promising fighters on their way up in the heavyweight division too.

The Dude Abides

Status

Breaking News: Multiple news outlets are reporting that Oscar De La Hoya has checked himself in an undisclosed drug and alcohol rehabilitation center and will not be present Saturday for the Saul Alvarez - Floyd Mayweather fight being promoted by Golden Boy Promotions.

This comes as rather shocking news considering the magnitude of the fight to come, arguably the biggest fight ever promoted by GBP. De La Hoya has had trouble in the past with drugs and alcohol, spending a stint in rehab back in 2011 for alcohol and cocaine abuse. It appears the demons have crept back to haunt him and got in the way of one of the biggest nights of his out-of-ring career.

Hopefully Oscar can successfully move on from these issues and overcome his personal vices.

Pain does not lie

Status

Yeah I heard about this yesterday, hopefully he fixes up his life.He wanted so badly to be there and cheer on Canelo to defeat Mayweather, I guess he will have to cheer for him in rehab, you know he will try to see it somehow.

Real Women of Genius

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Pain does not lie

Status

Last episode before the fight on Saturday, weight ins are on Friday..can't wait!

Real Women of Genius

Moon Vulcan S-Mod

Status

My God, say what you want about Floyd, but the guy is one of the all time great promos. He's simply on another level from anyone in any ring sport when it comes to selling PPVs. I'm predicting this fight does amazing business for these two, and everyone involved.

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator LIGER FEVER)

Pain does not lie

Status

Yup win or lose, Canelo at 23 he's going to become a better fighter, which is good for his career.I'm still wondering if Canelo loses, who is next in line for Mayweather?

Real Women of Genius

The Dude Abides

Status

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo View Post
    Yup win or lose, Canelo at 23 he's going to become a better fighter, which is good for his career.I'm still wondering if Canelo loses, who is next in line for Mayweather?
    Mayweather has a 6 fight deal with Showtime and this is his 2nd. He has 4 fights left after which he will likely retire for good, until then there are tons of viable options and I will list them.

Timothy Bradley. Assuming he wins against Marquez later this year he would almost be a natural match up since he would have a win over Marquez (as does Mayweather) and a win over Pacquiao. If Mayweather beats Bradley he can then say "Bradley and Marquez both beat Pacquiao, and I beat both of them so there's really no question that I'd beat Pacquiao". What's all the more attractive about Bradley is that he is undefeated as well which would set up another fight like this one should Mayweather beat Alvarez, and Bradley beat Marquez.

Amir Khan. Khan has some work to do before he can really substantiate being in the ring with Mayweather but he's been beating down the door trying to get a fight with him for a long time now. Khan went on a bit of a slide losing to Lamont Peterson who tested positive for PED's after the fight and then lost to Danny Garcia. Garcia then went and scored a TKO on Khan. Before these two losses however Khan was thought to be the guy that might dethrone Mayweather due to his speed a foot and fist, having blown out his competition leading up to that point. He's won 2 consecutive fights since those losses, most recently beating Julio Diaz earlier this year. Khan will also be fighting up and coming talent and IBF Welterweight champion Devon Alexander later this year. A victory over Alexander could be just the thing along with his large British fan following to catch the attention of Mayweather prompting a fight at 147, making Khan move up in weight slightly.

Devon Alexander. Alexander would have to beat Khan, and be the 3rd fight of 4 left for Mayweather, winning a couple notable fights before really earning a chance at him. He's older than Canelo, but he only has 26 fights to Canelo's 43 at 23 years of age. This is mostly because Alexander has an extensive and highly successful Amateur background (300-10), while Canelo had a very short amateur career. Alexander has been carefully groomed for success, and so far he's had plenty of it. His one loss was against Timothy Bradley due to a really bad cut caused by a head-butt. Other than that check some of the names on his resume; DeMarcus Corley, Junior Witter, Juan Urango, Lucas Matthysse, Marcos Maidana. He's on his way.

Adrien Broner. Mayweather said it himself, if he needs a challenger he'll sign someone to his promotion, make them a star, and then beat them; enter Adrien Broner: The Protege. If Mayweather really has a hard time finding competition (which he won't) Broner could be an easy in house pick for him. He's a solid Welterweight, he's undefeated with some even calling him a younger Mayweather with his style, and he's being groomed to be a star by noneother than Mayweather himself. After he said what he did, that has to make you wonder if Broner is little more than a failsafe opponent, or a handpicked successor.

Danny Garcia or Lucas Matthysse. You didn't think it was mere coincidence that they are fighting on the undercard of Mayweathers upcoming bout did you? They are welterweights, they are fighting for titles, and whoever wins will have a bid at Mayweather. Whoever wins this one will hold the WBA, WBC, and Ring light welterweight titles, perfect collateral to cash in and move up to fight Mayweather at 147 as I believe that's the lowest weight Mayweather will fight at. Do not forget that Garcia is undefeated as well, so assuming he gets past Matthysse, there's even more incentive for Mayweather.

Manny Pacquiao. This is the granddaddy of them all, the real money fight, the fight everyone wants to see. I'm going to let you in on a little secret; There is nothing wrong with Manny Pacquiao, he isn't washed up by a long shot, he isn't in some kind of rapid decline, he just hasn't been very hungry as of recent and had a lot of distractions. The good news is that after getting caught by Marquez he's decided to stop fucking around and Manny Pacquiao is pissed off and full of fire once again. That's trouble for Mayweather because now he doesn't care what it takes, he wants Mayweather. This November when he faces Brandon Rios, get ready! Pacquiao is going to make a statement and an example out of Rios. After that it's straight for Mayweather. No more excuses.

Here's a continued list of likely and possible fights for Mayweather without going into detail.

Welterweights
    Kell Brook
    Mike Alvarado
    Ruslan Provodnikov
    Brandon Rios
    ------------------

Middleweights

These fights are all possible at 154, remember that Canelo is a natural middleweight coming down to a catchweight of 152 for this fight, and Mayweather has fought up to 154 twice before against De La Hoya and Cotto.

Austin Trout
    Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
    Gennady Golovkin
    Sergio Martinez
    Andre Ward
    Last edited by The Game Rage; 09-13-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Pain does not lie

Status

Wow if Mayweather wins he doesn't have too many guys to fight, looking at the bottom there.Wouldn't mind seeing him face Sergio Martinez, great fighter and very wise in the ring.I had a dream about this yesterday, the winner of this fight, faces off with Bradley vs Marquez's winner and Pac-Man beats his opponent and we get Pacquiao vs Mayweather, because I think Floyd can beat Bradley, Marquez easily.At this point just give the people what they want, Mayweather/Pacquaio, it will be like Leonard vs Hagler all over again.

Real Women of Genius

The Dude Abides

Status

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Uchiha View Post
    Wow if Mayweather wins he doesn't have too many guys to fight, looking at the bottom there.Wouldn't mind seeing him face Sergio Martinez, great fighter and very wise in the ring.I had a dream about this yesterday, the winner of this fight, faces off with Bradley vs Marquez's winner and Pac-Man beats his opponent and we get Pacquiao vs Mayweather, because I think Floyd can beat Bradley, Marquez easily.At this point just give the people what they want, Mayweather/Pacquaio, it will be like Leonard vs Hagler all over again.
    If you look at the list altogether though there are 16 possible fights for Floyd Mayweather, 16 new opponents he's never faced.

Pain does not lie

Status

Yeah their challengers, but theirs a difference between challengers and just Boxers.I know Mayweather doesn't duck anyone but he wants to make money, and your always thinking about that, if I fight this guy, I could make..and so on?

Real Women of Genius

Dangle, Snipe, Celly

Status

I would love to see Floyd lose at some point, and (this predicates on Manny getting back on the right track) having to face Manny to determine a number one contendership to whatever belt floyd lost. I just really think that fight needs to happen because it will be huge for boxing.

Look back at those great heavyweights in the 60s and 70s.... Im pretty sure all of those guys from the late 80s and early 90s got into boxing because of the HUGE matchups those 70's boxers had (Rumble in the Jungle, Thrilla in Manilla etc) and I feel like Pac vs Money would open boxing to a whole new set of eyes. If Floyd beats Canelo is there anyone who would be ready for a super fight in the next 3 years that could generate the press and what not that this fight will? Even if Canelo just has a good showing (going the full 10 rounds or even knocking down Floyd) I think this could make a potential rematch HUGE, but if Floyd dominates like he did Guerrero, I think boxing continues to become more and more of a niche sport.
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=163831
    STL Saint Presents: The Wednesday Night War!

Pain does not lie

Status

This man keeps shocking the world, and he's proving me wrong and I liked to be proved wrong.Still his fight quality isn't grabbing anybody to watch, his hype with his words, is the selling point, I hope he doesn't fight until May at least.These other bouts coming up will be way more competitive, Garcia vs Matthysse was the match of the night for me.

Real Women of Genius

Moon Vulcan S-Mod

Status

You have to give it up for Mayweather. In terms of Comp-u-box, Floyd wiped the floor with Canelo. But really, I thought Canelo won 4 out of the first 5 rounds pretty easy. The way Floyd dominated throughout the mid and later rounds was unbelievable almost and he reaffirmed his place as the best in the game right now. Where he goes from here is gonna be interesting. A scenario TGR didn't mention before was the possibility of a rematch, which I think really we're going to need an underdog challenger or two on Floyd's path to 50. I'm thinking since Ortiz has been off the boxing radar for so long and has a part in The Expendables 3 there may be a chance they capitalize on his story and really, the dusty finish of their first fight deserved a rematch imho. The fight i'd personally want to see is Sergio though. I think Sergio could easily make a claim for the best fighter in the world and is the only one even close to Floyd. Ward would be my #2, too bad they're heavier than Floyd would probably prefer.

Pain does not lie

Status

Bradley vs Marquez face off, and first episode for their fight a few weeks from now.Did anyone see Chavez JR on Saturday, he was way outta shape, and still won the fight.

Real Women of Genius

The Dude Abides

Status

Yeah I watched it, he looked like shit both physically and technically. I'm kind of surprised he won the fight, I didn't think he'd really done enough to do so, but that's what happens when you're daddy is a HOF'er and one of the greatest of all time.

Pain does not lie

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Game Rage View Post
    Yeah I watched it, he looked like shit both physically and technically. I'm kind of surprised he won the fight, I didn't think he'd really done enough to do so, but that's what happens when you're daddy is a HOF'er and one of the greatest of all time.
    Yeah, theirs where spots where he had the chance to finish off his opponent after a nice shot, and failed to do so.I've seen him pounce on guys just like that in the past, but when I saw that, I knew for sure he was out of shape.I wonder who he will face next hmm certainly not Sergio again lol.

Real Women of Genius

Pain does not lie

Status

Cotto needs a win bad this Saturday.

Real Women of Genius

Thread Information