Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Totally Random Movie Discussion Thread

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Re: The Totally Random Movie Discussion Thread

It's overly long, but I thought it was pretty great. They REALLY over-do it after the assassination, I think it was like a 20-minute depressing denouement. But I think that's probably my only big criticism. Two great lead performances, some good supporting ones. Casey Affleck, in particular, was great and I think this is easily one of Brad Pitt's best performances.

It's a real thinker to me, I think my opinion changes each time I see it on who was right, who was wrong, why Ford is considered cowardly for killing Jesse, etc. On the one hand, he was paid for killing a guy he deceived into thinking he was loyal, and he did it in the guy's home with his wife present. Then he also clearly wanted to beat his brother to the shot and take the glory. On the other hand, Jesse was apparently a manic depressive who the film makes clear let it happen, and Ford was under constant threat of Jesse snapping and doing away with him. Why is he branded a coward for killing a public menace? I guess they imply it comes down to simply the newspapers, books and stories romanticising dangerous criminals. So people don't know the truth, or at least the movie's opinion of the truth.

It's also beautifully shot. I always loved the cinematography, and the assassination scene is actually one of my favourite death scenes. I should've included this in the manly tears thread, because that music, all three guys' acting and Jesse's acceptance of his fate just kill me.
    Last edited by Marketh; 04-21-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Oh My Goddess

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Scott Pilgrim vs the World = BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!! I love quotable movies and I can remember almost every line from it.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Rage View Post
    Anyone here got an opinion on The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford?
    It's got a really long title.

Quote Originally Posted by E-weezie View Post
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World = BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!! I love quotable movies and I can remember almost every line from it.
    7.5/10

Good, but the books were much better and there's a ton of movies I'd call better before even getting close to the best movie ever... Which, by the way, is Almost Famous.

Oh My Goddess

Status

Agreed, the books were better but I love the pop culture references and the little inside jokes in the movie. I just felt like the movie was very well put together considering all of the material that was in the book.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I agree to be honest. I read the books before I saw the film, but after the trailers had soured me on the concept. The books made the film make sense for me, but the first time I saw the movie I was pretty much bored for the majority of it. Since then I've actually watched it two or three times and I have to admit that with each viewing it does get better, so you never know, in another couple of years I might be proclaiming it the best movie ever.

On a semi-related note, if you like quotable scripts then you should check out Pitch Perfect. Don't let the Glee comparisons fool you, I just got done watching it and it is excellent. It has some major flaws in the soundtrack itself, but most of the songs performed really work well, and it's both funny and heart-warming to watch. I recommend it to anyone that enjoys comedy of that nature.

After watching Movie 43, I had one sole question: How did get this made? It's not that it's unrealistic that the script was turned into the movie, there's plenty of immature humor movies out there. What I really wonder is how they managed to score a cast of all big names? What are Kate Winslet, Richard Gere, Naomi Watts and Halle Berry doing in a movie with so many childish and unfunny plots/jokes? This was absolute drivle that isn't even funny enough to be a direct-to-video National Lampoon film. When I'm on my deathbed, I will not be looking back at my life, thinking of loved ones or worrying about whether there's an afterlife. No, instead, I'll be wondering how Movie 43 managed to score 40+ stars.

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status
      Country                    United States

Gonna watch Gangs of New York for the first time later today. Gots to my DDL on.

Spoiler:

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    When I'm on my deathbed, I will not be looking back at my life, thinking of loved ones or worrying about whether there's an afterlife. No, instead, I'll be wondering how Movie 43 managed to score 40+ stars.
    Perhaps you'll also be asking yourself why you even watched it in the first place?

Watched The King of Marvin Gardens this morning. Really cool little movie with Jack Nicholson and Bruce Dern from the early 70's that has both great acting and a depressing ending...yay!

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

I am the Outlaw

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    Gonna watch Gangs of New York for the first time later today. Gots to my DDL on.
    What did you think of it? It's not a perfect movie by any means but I thought it was really good. DDL unsurprisingly stole the show. Amazing performance from him.

I watched Cruel Intentions last night for the first time cause some of my friends have been raving about it. Just me who thinks it's just a run of the mill teen flick? I mean sure Sarah Michelle Gellar is really hot in it, rubs up against a guy and kisses another girl (and a lot of horny guys probably like it for that alone) but is it really that good of a movie? Not for me.

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Perhaps you'll also be asking yourself why you even watched it in the first place?
    Eh, with so many big stars in the movie, it's easy to understand why someone would be tempted to watch the movie. That's part of the annoyance with the movie. There's zero chance I would have watched it had it been filmed with a bunch of stars I never heard of before.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status
    So I just saw the Watchmen a few days back.

What a terrific film that is. I'm known as being a total movie dunce, so idgaf about leitmotifs or 'in' graphic novel references - I just really enjoyed the thing. Thought I'd share

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2018 - 20/15/1 - 4th in Regular Season, 2nd Overall

I am the Outlaw

Status

Yeah Watchmen is pretty great. Saw it at the cinema and bought the blu-ray recently. Only criticism is it seemed slightly long when I first watched it. Still really good though. Not really seen anything else like it (cue someone coming in and listing loads of films they perceive to be the same).

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    When you set the bar low enough that How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory are considered entertaining, everything's game.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

On Vacation

Status

Been watching some animated films lately and no matter how many times I watch them, they've been great. Wreck-It Ralph, Up, The Croods, The Incredibles, Megamind, etc. All good films.

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Governor Tommy View Post
    What did you think of it? It's not a perfect movie by any means but I thought it was really good. DDL unsurprisingly stole the show. Amazing performance from him.

I watched Cruel Intentions last night for the first time cause some of my friends have been raving about it. Just me who thinks it's just a run of the mill teen flick? I mean sure Sarah Michelle Gellar is really hot in it, rubs up against a guy and kisses another girl (and a lot of horny guys probably like it for that alone) but is it really that good of a movie? Not for me.
    I loved it, specifically the moment where DDL gets shot and everyone goes quiet just waiting for his reaction and then he's all like: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Spoiler:

Status

Just got done watching Taxi Driver. I really wanted to like it more than I did. I just kept waiting for him to turn heel a lot earlier than he did and to become this raging lunatic and it didn't happen until the last 30-45 minutes of the film. And I wasn't a fan of the same 2 songs playing with seemingly every cutscene. It was good music, but just too repetitive.

Underdog

Status

127 Hours

You wouldn't expect a film where a guy is just stuck in a hole would be good, it's very good and the fact that its a true story makes it even better.

Fighting

Not a bad movie the fighting could have been better though. 4/5 just because of my love for Channing Tatum.

GOAT

Status

Can we just take a moment and discuss how amazing Prometheus is?
    Fate whispers to the warrior
    'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back,

I am the storm.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Vayne View Post
    Can we just take a moment and discuss how amazing Prometheus is?
    We can take more than a moment Vayne, it was my film of the year for 2012. I loved it.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Vayne View Post
    Can we just take a moment and discuss how average Prometheus is?
    Sure... It was okay.

Thread Information