Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Totally Random Movie Discussion Thread

Status
      Country                    Djibouti

Re: The Totally Random Movie Discussion Thread

I think The Prestige is my favorite Nolan film, followed by Memento and Batman Begins.

They're all pretty damn good though. Jennifer Lawrence is also awesome.
    20 Years of Hype | The Best Superhero Movie Tournament

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Fractalmatic View Post
    I think The Prestige is my favorite Nolan film.
    I always forget about The Prestige but its also great, probably my second favourite after Memento. Loved David Bowie's appearance in it as well.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Movies of 2017~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Who's scruffy-looking?

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I didn't really like "The Prestige". Well, compared to everyone else. Probably because I wasn't surprised by the twist at the end. I was kind of expecting it. It's a movie about magicians. Of course there is going to be a twist.

Spoiler:

I am the Outlaw

Status

Watched The Woodsman last night. Good film. Great performance by Kevin Bacon (playing a sex offender).

Going to see The Place Beyond The Pines tonight. Hopefully it's as good as it looks. Anybody seen it?

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Rage View Post
    Watched The Woodsman last night. Good film. Great performance by Kevin Bacon (playing a sex offender).
    I saw that back several years ago. They managed to do the impossible and humanize a sex offender and to some degree make him likable.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I'd consider it my favourite Nolan film if it had been entirely his to begin with, but its a remake. Still awesome though, Williams is particularly good as the villain, a role he always seems to play well. I'd say my all-time favourite Nolan film is still Memento, but Following is also pretty damn good.

Watched "Moving" with Richard Pryor this morning. Pryor was a funny guy, but he seems horribly miscast as an engineer trying to move to Idaho. The best part about the movie? King Kong Bundy making an appearance.

Definately have you seen One Hour Photo or the episode of Law and Order SVU that he did??

Underdog

Status

Shank

sex, drugs, and violence. it's worth giving a watch.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Flock U View Post
    Definately have you seen One Hour Photo or the episode of Law and Order SVU that he did??
    Yep, seen them both. The Law and Order episode really stands out, he's beyond creepy in that and, more importantly, a super-intelligent villain.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

I am the Outlaw

Status

The Place Beyond The Pines is such a weird film... like seriously.

It's really original and I loved parts of it but...it left me feeling unsatisfied.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

So... I was watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture yesterday, and I have a question. I was watching a download, because my girlfriend's lost the disc from her DVD boxset of the films and I was just gonna make her a copy; anyway, what I want to know is are the scenes with Klingons and Vulcans talking their own languages supposed to be subtitled? The version I have didn't have subtitles, and it wasn't too bad for the Klingon scene at the start, but I got lost when Spock was going through some ceremony on Vulcan - so I'm assuming it's supposed to have subtitles and my download just didn't have them, but I wanna make sure before I go looking for another one.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    So... I was watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture yesterday, and I have a question. I was watching a download, because my girlfriend's lost the disc from her DVD boxset of the films and I was just gonna make her a copy; anyway, what I want to know is are the scenes with Klingons and Vulcans talking their own languages supposed to be subtitled? The version I have didn't have subtitles, and it wasn't too bad for the Klingon scene at the start, but I got lost when Spock was going through some ceremony on Vulcan - so I'm assuming it's supposed to have subtitles and my download just didn't have them, but I wanna make sure before I go looking for another one.
    Yeah man, the subtitles are definitely supposed to be there.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Dat Boi

Status
      Country                    United States

Just saw Les Miserables tonight. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Yeah man, the subtitles are definitely supposed to be there.
    I thought it was odd.

At first I thought maybe it was because the Klingon's weren't really doing anything you couldn't just work out on your own anyway; scan, shields, fire, explode, etc... but when Spock turned up and their was a five minute scene of Vulcan's nattering in their own tongue I figured something was amiss.

It did make me more interested in the film for a bit though, because oh my God is that first movie dull or what!? From being transported up to the shuttle to boarding the Enterprise, it takes Kirk nearly five minutes, with very little dialogue along the way. After a while it's like; "Ok, we get it, it's the Enterprise and it looks a little bit different to the one we're familiar with, can we please move the fuck along now!?".

As nice as illegal downloads are, you never have any real assurance that they will have the sub-titles you need.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Yeah... It's why I never download foreign films. I always find it weird that subtitles on stuff like Star Trek aren't included though, because it's not like you can turn them off, so why don't they get ripped too?

Underdog

Status

Tom and Jerry Movie The Fast and The Furry :i love Tom & Jerry this is no expection.

Yeah... It's why I never download foreign films. I always find it weird that subtitles on stuff like Star Trek aren't included though, because it's not like you can turn them off, so why don't they get ripped too?
    The problem with something like Star Trek is that the person ripping the movie may not realize there's select sub-titles in the movie. You take some random French movie and the ripper knows to rip the sub-titles too. The other problem is re-uploaders. Some of them may have downloaded the movie with sub-titles, but didn't realize you needed the sub-titles too. So when they uploaded it themselves, they didn't include the sub-titles.

On the plus side, as long as you downloaded a popular copy of the movie, you may be able to find links to sub-titles elsewhere. For example:

Subtitles for Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Subscene

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

It did make me more interested in the film for a bit though, because oh my God is that first movie dull or what!? From being transported up to the shuttle to boarding the Enterprise, it takes Kirk nearly five minutes, with very little dialogue along the way. After a while it's like; "Ok, we get it, it's the Enterprise and it looks a little bit different to the one we're familiar with, can we please move the fuck along now!?".
    Great story, poor execution. Obviously it was released in the Star Wars era so they felt the need to go over the top with the effects, but they just couldn't temper themselves. The scene where Kirk goes to the enterprise is excruciating for sure. I also like the part where Kirk goes to the bridge and the crew run over to meet him, since they all look like idiots in the updated uniforms and Sulu in particular seems stoned. Then Kirk's reaction when Spock comes to the bridge, "Spock......Spock...................Spock" is damn funny as well.

Luckily they'd right the ship with the next movie though.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The problem with something like Star Trek is that the person ripping the movie may not realize there's select sub-titles in the movie. You take some random French movie and the ripper knows to rip the sub-titles too. The other problem is re-uploaders. Some of them may have downloaded the movie with sub-titles, but didn't realize you needed the sub-titles too. So when they uploaded it themselves, they didn't include the sub-titles.

On the plus side, as long as you downloaded a popular copy of the movie, you may be able to find links to sub-titles elsewhere. For example:

Subtitles for Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Subscene
    It's all very techie for me.

If I can't just click play and watch it, I don't wanna have to deal with it.

Great story, poor execution. Obviously it was released in the Star Wars era so they felt the need to go over the top with the effects, but they just couldn't temper themselves. The scene where Kirk goes to the enterprise is excruciating for sure. I also like the part where Kirk goes to the bridge and the crew run over to meet him, since they all look like idiots in the updated uniforms and Sulu in particular seems stoned. Then Kirk's reaction when Spock comes to the bridge, "Spock......Spock...................Spock" is damn funny as well.

Luckily they'd right the ship with the next movie though.
    The potential for something great was right there, within their grasp but they totally Shatner'd the bed (I could not resist that pun) with stretching everything out far too long just show off the models and special effects, and to be quite honest, released two years after Star Wars, the first Star Trek just doesn't hold a candle to A New Hope's spaceships, laser blasts and alien make-up. It's kind of sad really, but also massively surprising; I don't know the whole story, but didn't the series get cancelled only for Paramount to buy the rights to the film and really launch it into the stratosphere? Sort of like what happened with Joss Whedon's Firefly, only way more successful? It baffles me that the first film made enough money to grant them the chance to make Wrath Of Khan, but I'm damn glad it did because that shit is tight, yo!

I am the Outlaw

Status

Anyone here got an opinion on The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford?

Thread Information