Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC 158: St.Pierre vs. Diaz - March 16th 2013 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada

BTB Legend

Status

UFC 158: St.Pierre vs. Diaz - March 16th 2013 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Welterweight Champ: Georges St-Pierre (170) vs. Nick Diaz (169) – for welterweight title (As expected, super reactions for St-Pierre and Diaz, with Diaz booed out of the place. They squared off, Diaz kind of threatened with an elbow over the top and dana White pushed them apart immediately. Nick said nothing of note, just saying he's representing Stockton and Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu, mentioning Jake Shields, Gilbert Melendez and Nate Diaz. GSP said, "I can talk as much as I want, but tomorrow I'm going to walk the walk.")
    Georges St. Pierre by Doctor Stoppage in Round 4
    Welterweight: Carlos Condit (169) vs. Johny Hendricks (171) (Hendricks tried to get cheered wearing a Montreal Canadiens jersey)
    Johny Hendricks by KO in Round 1
    Welterweight: Jake Ellenberger (170) vs. Nate Marquardt (171)
    Jake Ellenberger by Split Decision
    Middleweight: Chris Camozzi (185) vs. Nick Ring (183) (Ring was under and weighed in with shoes on)
    Nick Ring by Unanimous Decision
    Lightweight: Colin Fletcher (155) vs. Mike Ricci (156) (Ricci a big home town favorite from Montreal)
    Colin Fletcher by Unanimous Decision

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)

Welterweight: Patrick Cote (169) vs. Bobby Voelker (169) (Cote got a big reaction of course. Cote is planning, after his fight, to come back and do the French language commentary of the last few fights on the PPV. This is Cote's debut at welterweight)
    Patrick Cote by Unanimous Decision
    Featherweight: Antonio Carvalho (145) vs. Darren Elkins (145)
    Darren Elkins by Unanimous Decision
    Welterweight: Jordan Mein (170) vs. Dan Miller (171) (He's one pound over, tried again with no clothes on and made 171)
    Jordan Mein by TKO in Round 3
    Lightweight: Daron Cruickshank (155) vs. John Makdessi (155) (Cruickshank is out there with his dark tan)
    Daron Cruickshank by TKO in Round 2

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 6:35 p.m. ET)

Welterweight: Quinn Mulhern (168) vs. Rick Story (169)
    Quinn Mulhern by Split Decision
    Bantamweight: TJ Dillashaw (135) vs. Issei Tamura (135)
    TJ Dillashaw by KO in Round 2
    Bantamweight: Reuben Duran (135) vs. George Roop (135) (Something really scary about seeing a 6-foot-2 guy (Roop) at 135 pounds. Roop doesn't exactly look healthy at that weight)
    George Roop by TKO in Round 3

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Re: UFC 158: St.Pierre vs. Diaz - March 16th 2013 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada

As much as I want Nick to win, GSP is going to win via wrestlefuck.

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

I wonder if GSP would want to go for a quick submission on Diaz, I've seen the guy roll out submissions like he was doing the death roll like a Gator.I expect GSP to win but could be a very good fight!

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

i am going to be in a UFC Pool tomorrow
    Beyond GSP
    My UFC knowledge is rather limited
    If someone, anyone could pst some predictions
    That would be great

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

This is the most I've been worried for GSP going into a match. I've not seen him this pissed at a guy before and that can be a distraction and end in mistakes being made. Diaz is always an ass to his opponents and that works in his favour. I'm hoping and praying for Georges to win but I would not be surprised to see Diaz win.

Dat Boi

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm expecting GSP to just devour Diaz. Rip out his arms and consume his soul.

Heel Champion

Status

George Roop vs Rueben Duran
    Roop by 2nd round TKO - He will win but my god did he look awful at the weigh in
    TJ Dillishaw vs Issie Tamura
    TJ by 1st round submission
    Quinn Mulhern vs Rick Story
    Story by unanimous decision
    Daron Cruickshank vs John Makdessi
    Cruickshank by unanimous decision
    Jordan Mein vs Dan Miller
    Dan Miller by 3rd round submission
    Antonio Carvalho vs Darren Elkins
    Elkins by 1st round submission - I'm calling this right now Darren Elkins should be a top 10 fighter. He is flying under a lot of people's radars but if he wins this fight he as won 5 straight.
    Patrick Cote vs Bobby Voelker
    Voelker by split decision
    Colin Fletcher vs Mike Ricci
    Fletcher by 2nd round submission
    Chris Camozzi vs Nick Ring
    Ring by unanimous decision
    Jake Ellenberger vs Nate Marquardt
    Ellenberger by unanimous decision
    Johnny Hendricks vs Carlos Condit
    Hendricks 1st round KO
    GSP vs Nick Diaz
    Diaz by 4th round submission - I have for a long while been saying this is GSP's fight and that Hendricks is the man to beat him. But honestly Diaz is in his head big time. George is gonna go for this I think and he will fall into Diaz's game. Wolf tickets all the way!

BTB Legend

Status

I don't think Diaz is in GSP's head. I think GSP just doesn't like Diaz and it's got nothing to do with what Diaz is saying and everything to do with Diaz as a person. I don't doubt GSP respects Diaz's ability but as a person, I think GSP has nothing but contempt for the guy. And if that is the case, I think this is going to be a long night for Diaz because that's not a mindset that leads to mistakes being made but rather a very methodical approach being taken with the idea being to wear Diaz down rather than simply neutralizing his abilities. I don't see GSP going for a submission until late in the fight, if at all, because Diaz could very well reverse things and have GSP in trouble and I don't think GSP is going to put himself in that position. I think he'll keep Diaz grounded, batter him throughout, and I've picked a doctor stoppage for the finish because Diaz can be cut and GSP can deliver some nasty elbows from top position and I think that's going to play a factor in the fight. Unless he catches GSP with a perfectly timed punch, Diaz isn't stopping the fight from going to the ground. And I see Diaz having trouble getting the fight back standing, if he can at all, and this fight could easily end up like Henderson/Diaz from last year where Diaz was totally shut down and couldn't do a thing about it.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Watching the build up, and I got to thinking that with all the talk of Diaz getting into the head of GSP, what about Diaz getting into his own head? What if Diaz has got himself so worked up going into this fight that he's the one who ends up throwing his gameplan out the window and getting reckless? Everyone thinks GSP is the one who runs the risk if getting reckless but Diaz isn't know for his impulse control and there seems to be a very real chance that it's Nick who ends up throwing caution to the wind because he has got himself into such a state.

BTB of the Year 2012

BIG KAIJU~

Status

If he control his rage, for everything he thinks people have done to him.Damn Diaz is ready to do an interview and GSP needs his nose to be powered, has he gone corporate lol.It Diaz beats GSP, does he becomes one of the best fighters ever in his division..being a legend in the making GSP?

Real Women of Genius

BTB Legend

Status

A little surprised to see Marquardt finished so early but I can't say I'm sad to see him faceplant into the canvas.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Earlier on, Dana White announced tonight that the TUF 18 coaches will be Ronda Rousey and the winner of Cat Zingano vs. Miesha Tate with the coaches fighting in December presumably. They will also have 135 pound men 135 pound women for the season, so you'll have a mixed house for the first time.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

That was a really good fight. Hendricks has a great reactionary takedown. Depending on what happens with Rory MacDonald, Condit could get that fight next or perhaps Marquardt as they're both coming off losses.

BTB of the Year 2012

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Solid PPV all around, the fight with Condit that was one hell of a battle.Main Event time, Diaz vs GSP!

Real Women of Genius

BTB Legend

Status

A decent fight and a good performance from GSP and although Diaz did give him a little trouble, it wasn't much and GSP was pretty dominant throughout. Diaz showed some good takedown defence and nice strikes, but he couldn't get anything going in what few openings he had.

BTB of the Year 2012

Team Cyrus T

Status

Ellenberger looked really good tonight. Any chance he gets Rory next? Maybe Condit?d Condit/Hendricks was the fight of the night for me. I was thoroughly entertained from the start all the way through. Typical GSP match. He looked a bit worse than I thought he would after the fight, but he won all 5 rounds easily in my opinion. I can't tell you how thrilled I am that Diaz lost. Oh and Diaz announced his retirement.....again. By the way. Did anyone else think that Elkins/Carvalho stoppage was way premature?

Show-Off

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

Wow
    Diaz is such an asshole
    Even after he was soundly beaten, he was still running his mouth

Status

I really don't know why I ever watch GSP fights. They're always hyped to hell and never live up to that. I knew that GSP was going to wrestlefuck Diaz but I thought that if Diaz had the chance to strike with GSP he'd be aggressive and go for the KO. I blame it on both guys for having a boring fight but I really don't get why Nick Diaz didn't get aggressive with striking after he started stuffing takedowns.

BTB Legend

Status

Attendance was 20,145 with a live gate of $3.71 million. Bonuses went to Jake Ellenberger, for Knockout of the Night, and Johny Hendricks and Carlos Condit for Fight of the Night.

The main event was not boring, it just the same fight GSP always has; neutralizing his opponents through wrestling and shutting them down. I know people would like him to go more all out but his style wins him fights in a comprehensive manner whilst minimizing risks. And it's not like GSP does nothing when he's on top; the guy is always busy, always working to neutralize his opponents, and if people don't like that, well, complain about the guys who can't stop GSP doing what he wants with them.

If a GSP fight isn't your thing, fine, then don't watch him fight when you know the odds are good you're going to get a fight you're not going to like. And if you watch anyway, don't complain when the fight goes to form; you knew the score going in and have nobody to blame but yourself for watching a fight you didn't like. I like watching GSP fight because it's fascinating watching him shut down good-to-great fighters and stopping them from doing anything.

As to why Diaz didn't press the action when he was stuffing the takedowns, well, the guy isn't exactly a tactical genius. He has the one strategy every time out; to frustrate his opponents and get them to come to him, and when that doesn't happen, like in this fight and the Condit fight, he rarely seems to have a Plan B, and it shows.

BTB of the Year 2012

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Does Diaz retire after every fight he loses? Seriously. I've seen him fight multiple times but only seen him lose twice and he's "retired" after both of them. Last time, against Condit he was bitching that the judges had it wrong, to which my response was; "Don't leave it in the hands of the judges... But also, you lost because Condit was better on that night". This time he at least admitted that he might not be up to it anymore.

Personally I think he's just pissed that Georges proved he was the better, and more importantly the smarter fighter. He kept saying he thought it was funny that Georges knew what he was doing whenever he tried to roll out from under him, as if he felt like someone in his camp had given away the game plan, cos y'know, it's not possible that St. Pierre was able to read his body movements and react and defend? That's not Georges M. O. at all... Oh wait, it actually is. That's what Georges always does. That's what he's know for.

When Diaz wins, I like him and I respect him as a fighter, but he is such a bad loser that it colours my impressions of him as a fighter as well as my impressions of him as a person. He said in his corner mid-fight that win or lose Georges was his bitch, I don't know what fight he was in, but at no point was Georges his bitch. For the first two rounds he was completely dominated, and even when he had an opportunity to get back into it as Georges tired and lost momentum, Diaz had nothing that could stop GSP. His taunting and his continuous attempts to swing for GSP after the round was over were pathetic, and when Yves called him on the post buzzer swing he back off, apologised and seemed to make out like he hadn't heard the buzzer, when he had clearly stopped fighting until Georges started to get back up.

Also, that whole thing after the fight when he hugged GSP and raised his hand felt so forced and insincere. Diaz is his own biggest fan, and got beat by the better man. I well and truly hope that's his last fight because I can't take his miserable fucking face on my screen any more.

Thread Information