Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Shock Reviews The Worst Of Pro Wrestling

WAKE UP

Status

Re: Shock Reviews The Worst Of Pro Wrestling

I'm with Shock on this one. Rock is normally a really selfless worker, and he has a TONNE of goodwill for that, but if anyone else gave that performance you'd think they were sand-bagging their opponent. The match should have been like 6 minutes of Goldberg splattering Rock around the ring with a brief Rock comeback before getting killed. The match reeked of Rock trying to hold on to his spot and not let a new guy overshadow him. There's no way you can watch that finish with Rock taking forever to get to his feet and not think he was purposely goofing around.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    The best thing about this match is The Rock’s crazy coked up promo earlier in the night.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4kk3r

“You could wipe a cockatoo’s ass with what you think! The only animal The Rock could think of!”

“Goldberg...you whisker-biscuit, baldheaded bitch!”
    This is outstanding. If Rock wasn't off his tits, then this might be the best acting of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I'm with Shock on this one. Rock is normally a really selfless worker, and he has a TONNE of goodwill for that, but if anyone else gave that performance you'd think they were sand-bagging their opponent. The match should have been like 6 minutes of Goldberg splattering Rock around the ring with a brief Rock comeback before getting killed. The match reeked of Rock trying to hold on to his spot and not let a new guy overshadow him. There's no way you can watch that finish with Rock taking forever to get to his feet and not think he was purposely goofing around.
    Isn't that the thing though? Rock is known for not being selfish. Isn't it a little weird to assume that he's suddenly decided to be selfish here when he also knows he's about to leave? He went out of his way to make the likes of Jeff Hardy and The Hurricane look good around this time period, yet he's supposedly not trying to do the same favor for Bill?

Re-watching the finish, Rocky did nothing wrong. The entire finish is meant to be Goldberg firmly in control and rather than try to quickly beat Rock, he's instead choosing to play with his food. The idea is that the fans are supposed to be cheering for Goldberg, building that anticipation of that final spear, but the fans had already made up their minds that they weren't going to cheer a WCW guy over The Rock. Especially a Rock who had found a way to be entertaining again like Hollywood Rock had.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Isn't that the thing though? Rock is known for not being selfish. Isn't it a little weird to assume that he's suddenly decided to be selfish here when he also knows he's about to leave? He went out of his way to make the likes of Jeff Hardy and The Hurricane look good around this time period, yet he's supposedly not trying to do the same favor for Bill?

Re-watching the finish, Rocky did nothing wrong. The entire finish is meant to be Goldberg firmly in control and rather than try to quickly beat Rock, he's instead choosing to play with his food. The idea is that the fans are supposed to be cheering for Goldberg, building that anticipation of that final spear, but the fans had already made up their minds that they weren't going to cheer a WCW guy over The Rock. Especially a Rock who had found a way to be entertaining again like Hollywood Rock had.
    Well obviously I don't know what goes on in someone else's mind. Maybe he had no problem putting over WWE guys but didn't want to put over a WCW guy? I can only speculate, but the performance was not the type you'd give to get people to cheer for your opponent. He was playing the cool heel. The finish puts the focus on Rock, not Goldberg, that's the problem with the whole match. Even if you love the Rock and think Goldberg sucks, that's not how you carry a guy or make him look good. Goldberg was over on his first few nights on RAW so fans were into him. Putting him against Rock straight away was a bad move I think in hindsight.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNUBWe3j9zA

Lita vs Victoria - Backlash 2004

In my pursuit of the worst Backlash matches I scoured some others’ reviews of shows, including WC’s own Jim, and found that consistently saw people talking about this match. I thought how bad could this possibly be?

What’s interesting is that if you asked any random fan to name the best female wrestlers from the early 00s in WWE, I would imagine that these two would be on several people’s lists. For that reason, I don’t think I’m going after low-hanging fruit here by targeting a women’s match before women were considered people by WWE.

I always liked Victoria as a worker, although Lita was always terrible. She’s also incredibly rusty at this point considering that she had barely wrestled for 12 months.

The best way to describe this match is to think of the worst attempt at a technical match you can think of. Then slow that match down to about 50%. This is one of the clunkiest, most miserable matches I have seen in a long time. They attempt to do some wrestling sequences and it’s incredibly slow. Not only is it slow and uncoordinated, but they completely mess them up. They’re clearly rattled by it too because as the match goes on they aren’t recovering. They just keep messing up more and more. There’s zero flow and that’s only heightened by the botches. During a pinning reversal sequence, they have so little flow that at one point Victoria is kneeling waiting to be rolled up for a very noticeable second before Lita finally gets in position to do the next move. Lita sucks.

They aren’t just botches either, they’re the most basic botches you’ll ever see. On more than one occasion, one of the women doesn’t kick out of a pinning situation, causing the referee to stop his count so as to not prematurely end the match. That’s awful in the best of times, but to do it multiple times in a match is really fucking bad.

One other note is that the commentary for the women matches around this time is horrible and has aged like milk. Between this and the Wrestlemania match with Victoria and Molly, it has Jerry Lawler paying absolutely zero attention to the match and more interested in the women's attire. Even though these women weren't presented as the eye candy women, they were the actual ones that were considered "wrestlers".

Go spend 7 minutes to watch this and be thankful for women’s wrestling in 2020, because this is some miserable stuff. I'll keep my rating low just due to length and low expectations.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

I remember being on forums around this time and dudes would be like "lItA iS tHe bEsT wOmEnS wReStLeR oF aLL tImE" but couldn't actually give good matches or actual facts to support the claims

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Definitely a good call here. Two highly rated women's wrestlers at the time putting on a stinker. I agree with the fact that Lita sucks, although I've always thought Victoria was pretty good.

Vickie's much better a heel though, and I actually can't explain how bad the pinfall botches here. What was going on? At least usually when one wrestler goes blank, the other carries, but this was putrid by both, not just Lita.

A good pick here.

I remembered nothing about this one.

Just on paper, booking Victoria vs Lita on PPV is an odd one. Victoria just scored this big babyface win at Wrestlemania and they're clearly trying to make this new babyface push work, but they book her against Raw's #1 babyface (At least now that Trish Stratus turned heel)? Seems like a good way to risk whatever overness you've already established for Victoria.

WAKE UP

Status

Just watched that 2 minute clip of the match... what was Lita even trying to do with her leg in that submission? Good grief they looked un-trained.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

And we conclude this mini-series with the worst Backlash match of all time.

Roman Reigns vs Samoa Joe - Backlash 2018

The worst Backlash match ever took place just two years ago. After an absolute disasterclass at Wrestlemania 34 in a match that will one day be reviewed here, and another at the Greatest Royal Rumble, Reigns looks to bounce back against Samoa Joe in a match that for some reason is the main event of the show.

What’s annoying is that if this was a five minute match, this would have been alright. The first few minutes were pretty fun and if the match just ended there, I’d have been happy. And technically that happens before the bell rings, so it doesn't even count as being part of this match.

Then the bell rings and they start wrestling in the ring. And all the excitement from the crowd just gets sucked out of the arena. Almost immediately from the start of the match, it’s rest hold, rest hold, rest hold. If you’ve ever watched Big Show vs Kane from King of the Ring 1999, this is that, but 18 minutes long and somehow worse. The holds just go on and on, and the crowd gets impatient. We start to get all sorts of chants for guys not in the match (the usual stuff, CM Punk, Rusev Day, End This Match, Beat the Traffic). You can see fans leaving the arena in their droves, something I haven’t seen this bad since Jericho vs Triple H from Wrestlemania.

Now, you’d think that these two would decide to change it up and put some energy into the match. After all, these two have over 20 years of experience, so you’d think they would improvise a bit to save the match.

Joe’s offence in this match is fucking awful. His strikes look tame, he goes to rest holds constantly, he looks lethargic and lazy. Reigns is just as bad too, but it’s more noticeable with Joe since he controls 90% of the match. It’s made even worse because the commentators are trying so hard to put Joe over as this killer, but it’s not reflected in the actual match. This match should be the front and centre argument against “all heat is good heat”. Cos it’s not. The fans aren’t booing you because you’re a good heel, they’re booing you because this is dogshit. Reigns just lies in those rest holds. No struggling, no trying to wriggle out.

Once they give up on the rest holds, you’d think it picks up. After all the whole point of a rest hold is to build heat and then you can do a hot finish. Except this isn’t a hot finish, it’s still so lazy and lethargic. Just move, sell like death, wonder around. There’s no fire to the match, there’s no energy, just two wrestlers having an absolutely shocking performance.

This is embarrassing. Roman had loads of stinkers in 2018, whether that was due to his condition or not we can only speculate. But you’d think that if a guy isn’t capable of pacing himself for a twenty minute match, maybe don’t book him in a twenty minute match, you fucks. If you're worried about the boos for the guy you're trying to make the big babyface star of the company, maybe don't lay out the most boring match possible, you fucks. Why would you give the fans the opportunity to boo Roman and the match? That criticism is levelled at the agents, and the guys in the match because it boggles my mind that they thought this was going to be a good way of recovering after the disastrous Wrestlemania match.

One of the worst WWE main events of all time. If it wasn’t for Wrestlemania 34, this would have been the worst WWE match of 2018.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

On paper, Reigns vs Joe sounds really fun. They were both part of that banging Summerslam main event in either 2016 or 2017. I caught the second half of the match while it was still airing and it seemed like it was dragging terribly. The crowd reactions weren't good and they weren't mixing things up. My impression was that the show in general was a dud and the fans wanted to go home, but the match refused to stop.

WAKE UP

Status

Match stunk which is a shame because they had a really good match or two on RAW with less importance. I'm inclined to think it's more Joe at this stage who shouldn't be working long matches because he gases so easily (and has done the last 10 years), but Reigns could have ran out of energy too thinking about it now.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

It was a bone headed decision of them to close a show with a long Roman Reigns match, AND THEN lay the match out like they did to make it as boring as possible.

Shit username since day 1

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Yeah, this match fucking sucked. I remember pretty clearly at the time actually expecting it to be a really good match going in, and a chance for Roman to rebound with a hot match after the mess of that WrestleMania match with Lesnar the month prior. Such a bizarrely laid out match to wrestle as such a slow pace and have absolutely nothing happen. IIRC, there wasn't even a decent finishing stretch to the match.

I didn't comment on the Rock/Goldberg match because I don't think I ever watched it again, but it sucked massively too. Given they'd already put Goldberg in a wig and put him on screen with Gillberg, the genie was already halfway out of the bottle, but having him wrestle a long (can't quite remember how competitive it ended up being, but from my memory it felt like it was at least close to being 50/50) match in his debut wasn't a great idea. Given Rock was on his way out anyway, I don't see what the harm would've been in a 5-8 minute match where Goldberg flattened Rock and give the guy a chance at being Goldberg. Ultimately, it probably wouldn't have worked in the end anyway, but the WWE didn't do themselves many favours.

But how can you complete this look back on horrible Backlash matches without revisiting the epic Austin/Taker match from 2002!?

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    Bulgaria

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post

Lita vs Victoria - Backlash 2004

As you talked about how bad that match was, WWE decided to upload It in full for people's enjoyment. Perfect timing

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information