Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Shock Reviews The Worst Of Pro Wrestling

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: Shock Reviews The Worst Of Pro Wrestling

Oh god that Mahal title reign....still can’t believe he was allowed to have a 6 month title reign, you coulda have picked pretty much any match from his main event run for this thread.

Oh and can’t wait for Slaters return and WWE title at Wrestlemania 40.

Comeback King

Status
      Country                    England

I saw WWE post this on their Twitter yesterday. I'm shaking with fear.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    I saw WWE post this on their Twitter yesterday. I'm shaking with fear.

Between this and the prospect of another Edge and Orton match, I may yet have some more 2020 stuff for the thread

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Status
      Country                    United States

If you're gonna run another Mahal title match you may as well do it when you don't have a crowd since the ambiance is pretty much the same either way.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

WC Hall of Famer

You know, prior to Heath Slater's release, the idea of a McIntyre vs Mahal vs Slater WWE World Title match to headline a WWE Network special as one of those one hour version of house shows would have actually been kind of cool.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    You know, prior to Heath Slater's release, the idea of a McIntyre vs Mahal vs Slater WWE World Title match to headline a WWE Network special as one of those one hour version of house shows would have actually been kind of cool.
    And it could have actually been a decent match if Mahal did a 2006 Big Show and just lay outside while the mobile wrestlers wrestle.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5h1viwGnQ

WCW Championship: Hulk Hogan vs Sting - WCW Fall Brawl 1999

At Starrcade 1997, they had one of the worst, stupidest, and outright damaging matches in WCW history. This is nearly two years later, the nWo is now a shell of its former self, and Hulk Hogan is donning the red and yellow once again. But the question is, can Hulk Hogan be trusted? Lex Luger claimed to have irrefutable evidence that Hogan was driving the hummer that got Kevin Nash earlier in the summer in one of WCW’s more infamous storylines. Funny moment as Luger says in the pre-match video package that he’s been friends with Sting for 13 years and never let him down. Sting is of course dumb enough to believe that, if he hadn’t learned his lesson after the first four times Luger betrayed him.

Bret Hart comes out to wish both men luck.

If you’ve seen Starrcade 1997 between these two, this is largely the same. Neither man gives a shit anymore, Sting had checked out of wrestling years earlier and Hogan’s run in WCW is all-time bad. Tony Schiavone bless him is trying his best to get the story of “who trusts who” over, but it clearly isn’t resonating with the fans. Both are faces, and the crowd feels confused watching these two grappling a heatless match. Tenay says “Hogan is using tricks from his arsenal that he hasn’t used recently”, as Hogan applies a headlock. The commentators are so over the top putting over the grappling in this match as they lazily trade hammerlocks. It wouldn’t be so hilarious if there weren’t guys like Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit on the undercard of these shows actually producing good wrestling.

Because of the story they were telling they had zero heat to the match. The only positive these two had to contribute at this point in their career was their personality and charisma, but by having a dull wrestling match they completely killed that.

The problem with a build like this is that the fans don’t care because they know nothing will happen until there’s inevitably some bullshit at the end. They’d foretold it before the match, and after 3 years of nothing but similar shit finishes it’s expected. Of course there is a stupid finish. DDP runs down to the ring after Hogan gets a leg drop - making sure to get his visual pin on Sting. DDP hits the Diamond Cutter on Sting and puts Sting on top, which Hogan kicks out of. Hogan then hulks up as Bret Hart comes out to take out DDP. Sid Vicious comes out for reasons I still don’t know, takes a big boot like a bitch and then rolls to the outside. Then Lex Luger - now the fourth run in of the finish - comes out afterwards with a baseball bat. Hogan takes him out too, because apparently three heels isn’t enough to put down Hogan. That leads to Sting picking up the bat and Hogan saying “I told you it was Luger!”. Hogan proves to be the only babyface as dumb as Sting in the past as he doesn’t see the inevitable heel turn coming.

Of course, the fans start cheering like mad after Sting turns heel and wins the WCW Title, because Sting is the WCW guy and Hogan is not. It’s no wonder this heel turn never got over. Sting doesn’t really seem like he cares too much, probably because Sting - the guy not the wrestler - doesn’t give a shit. This was really bad, but it feels like the tenth time I’ve seen a WCW main event like this.

It's a sad state of affairs when their best match together was the match they had at TNA Bound for Glory 2011. This isn't quite Starrcade 97 bad, but it's very bad.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

In honour of Money in the Bank this weekend, here’s the worst ladder match in WWE history.

Rob Van Dam vs Sabu - WWE ECW, 15th August 2006

I know what you're thinking, it's a Sabu/RVD match - it seems rather obvious right? Except this is a particularly shit match, even by their standards. They start this ladder match with some extreme headlocks and chain wrestling. Make no mistake, every move in this match looks like complete shit. Things don’t get any better when they try their first big spot. RVD gets crotched on the top turnbuckle and sits there aimlessly for 10-15 seconds while Sabu sets up his spot. He jumps off a chair onto the top turnbuckle, then just kind of falls onto the top rope inexplicably.

What follows is perhaps the most unintentionally funny spot in ladder match history. RVD, on the top rope, decides it’s a good idea to leap from the top rope to the contract hanging above the ring. Inevitably, all he does is faceplant himself on the middle of the ring.

Out of boredom, I worked this out. According to Google, Michael Jordan could leap 3 and half feet vertically from a standing position. He was also 6’6. The contract would be, what, 14 feet in the air? The distance from the corner to the centre of the ring is just over 14 feet away too, so even for Jordan that would be a hell of an effort to get it. If I’m not sure if Michael fucking Jordan could reach it, then what chance does a man half a foot smaller and probably 1/10th as athletic have?

These two felt like they were wrestling different matches because their timing was so wildly off. Sabu would set himself up for a spot, and he’d hang there for a couple of seconds waiting for RVD to get in position, before doing the move. RVD’s bumping in this match is so ridiculously over the top. He takes a DDT and spikes himself on his head in RVD fashion, but he’s up seconds later to do a plancha to the outside onto a ladder. Another hilarious spot of bad timing has Sabu hit RVD over the back of the head weakly with a chair-assisted leg drop. RVD’s selling is delayed by a very noticeable half a second and he once again takes the fucking RVD-style head bump again. Given that this is these two in 2006, they were probably baked off their mind in this match - or at least I hope that's their excuse for this debacle.

I think these guys had an idea of the spots they wanted to do and just managed to fuck up every single one they had. A fan in the crowd shouts “are you retarded!?” at the competitors. Sabu responds by going for his next spot, jumping onto a ladder balanced on its side and then to the ropes. Except he fucks that up, justifying the fan’s questioning. Seconds later, RVD goes for a monkey flip to the ladder onto Sabu. Except Sabu is painfully out of position and literally has to jog into position so that he gets hit by it. Not to be distracted by their third consecutive fuck up, Sabu proceeds to nearly decapitate himself off a lionsault.

I can’t even talk about every fuck up and every messed up spot because there's so many. Perhaps this could have been salvaged if the two were selling the effects of the match, but they’re just meandering from one spot to another. This is backyard buddies pretending to wrestle. Big Show comes out and puts RVD through a table that was inexplicably set up - not by the competitors, it just happened to be at ringside. Big Show calls for the contract to come down so he can claim it for himself, but Sabu jumps onto his back to grab the contract (after Big Show helpfully moved himself to the middle of the ring after initially being out of position).

I rag on the Eddie vs Rey Summerslam ladder match for being a botchfest, but this is like that on steroids. Hideous match. I know Sabu and RVD matches might seem like low hanging fruit, but it takes a special kind of shit for two people to fuck up every major spot in the match, forget to sell, and have all their offence look like complete ass. If any match sums up those first 9 months of ECW, I think this is it.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Goldberg vs The Rock - Backlash 2003

I think this is quite contentious for this thread as I know some don’t mind this match, but in the spirit of the upcoming Backlash show I thought I would go over one of my least favourite Backlash matches ever.

There are several points you can point to for why Goldberg’s run was underwhelming. From doing comedy bits with Goldust, to having 10 minute competitive matches on TV, to failing to win the title at Summerslam. But before all that, there’s this match.

The closest match I can compare this to is Shawn Michaels vs Hulk Hogan. And I’m not saying that The Rock intentionally sabotaged Goldberg, but his performance in this show is so over the top that it is reminiscent of Michaels at Summerslam 2005. A good debut match should showcase the man that you’re going to debut and put over. This is an incredibly selfish performance from The Rock who makes the whole match about him. It doesn’t make Goldberg, legitimately the biggest signing the company has made in years, look good. It makes him the second most important man in his own debut match.

Right from minute one, before the bell even, the Rock is making this all about him and treating it like a joke. He’s stealing all the spotlight for himself. Even for the Rock, his selling is way over the top. I know it’s his style, but this was worse than most times. Every time he gets a spare second he’s shrugging off everything and taunting. I think the other thing is that this match is just completely against what Goldberg is: he’s an ass kicker. Yet he’s selling and being outsmarted at every turn. It doesn’t even make the Rock look that smart, it just makes Goldberg look dumb as fuck. The fans were already a bit cautious about cheering for Goldberg against The Rock, but in these circumstances there was no hope for them to get Goldberg cheered here.

Also you’ve got Goldberg having a decently long competitive match when that’s never been his strength, nevermind after over 2 years out of the ring. Similar to Scott Steiner at the 2003 Royal Rumble, this feels like WWE being intentionally ignorant to the strengths and, more importantly, weaknesses of the talent and sending them out there to die. This was a dumb match, with a dumb opponent, and the complete opposite of what a Goldberg debut should have been.

What this also does is it makes it not even feel like the dream match it should be. Goldberg vs The Rock should be a massive match but this doesn’t feel that special at all because I just feel like it’s a comedy match. Jerry Lawler on commentary treating it like a joke certainly doesn’t help, especially since he does have JR there to bounce off .

Is this entertaining? Yeah it is somewhat, but not for the right reasons. Is it a good match, or good booking? Absolutely and categorically not. This is like how not to put someone over despite them winning.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said regarding the booking of this match, and how it was bad for Goldberg. What stood out to me is the statement that this was a "selfish" performance from The Rock.

I don't necessarily agree with that. The Rock, for me, has always been one of the most giving wrestlers, and whilst this didn't do much for The Berg, I don't think it's Rock's fault. The over selling, turning everything to a joke is basically every 'Hollywood Rock' performance in 2003, so it's not like he turned it on just for this night. This is how he played that gimmick, and to be honest, it would have been weird if he showed up and acted differently just for this match.

Again, I agree with the call on this being bad booking, but I don't think calling Rock selfish in this scenario is right.

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

I certainly don't think the Backlash 2003 match belongs in the worst of pro wrestling thread. I get where you're coming from with a majority of your points. Yeah, this match didn't carry the weight it should have, it wasn't the best thing you could have had Goldberg do in his debut and Rocky could have tried to give a higher level of gravity to the match but at the same time... I don't think this is a disastrous debut. It's not the best you could have had for Berg. It may not be what you hope for when you bring in such a huge signing. But it wasn't like people were walking away going "who's this Goldberg jabroni?" I also don't think Rock was being so over the top to the point where it overshadowed Goldberg. Of course that's a point that is subjective. Clearly if Rock overshadowed Goldberg in this match to you, I can't really argue against that. But when I watched this match, I thought Rock did a great job selling his fear of Goldberg. Goldberg looked like a destructive force to me and The Rock looked outmatched. I think that's a pretty good impression to leave.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Last Real Man Hype

Status

The best thing about this match is The Rock’s crazy coked up promo earlier in the night.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4kk3r

“You could wipe a cockatoo’s ass with what you think! The only animal The Rock could think of!”

“Goldberg...you whisker-biscuit, baldheaded bitch!”

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said regarding the booking of this match, and how it was bad for Goldberg. What stood out to me is the statement that this was a "selfish" performance from The Rock.

I don't necessarily agree with that. The Rock, for me, has always been one of the most giving wrestlers, and whilst this didn't do much for The Berg, I don't think it's Rock's fault. The over selling, turning everything to a joke is basically every 'Hollywood Rock' performance in 2003, so it's not like he turned it on just for this night. This is how he played that gimmick, and to be honest, it would have been weird if he showed up and acted differently just for this match.

Again, I agree with the call on this being bad booking, but I don't think calling Rock selfish in this scenario is right.
    I completely agree that the Rock is usually a selfless wrestler, 100%. And I don't think he was necessarily being intentionally selfish. Like you said, he was probably doing what he felt was the right thing to do.

But you can be selfish even if you think you have good intentions. Somewhere along the way he misjudged the circumstances of this match and put in a performance that took all the attention off his opponent. To me they should have played it a lot smarter, maybe have a moment early in the match where the Rock realises how fucked he is if he doesn't take it seriously. Instead he reacts the same all the way till the end and makes the whole match look like a joke.

Plus, I don't think the Rock should just play it as he would any other match. This is Goldberg's debut and a dream match, it's not supposed to be like any other match.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    I certainly don't think the Backlash 2003 match belongs in the worst of pro wrestling thread. I get where you're coming from with a majority of your points. Yeah, this match didn't carry the weight it should have, it wasn't the best thing you could have had Goldberg do in his debut and Rocky could have tried to give a higher level of gravity to the match but at the same time... I don't think this is a disastrous debut. It's not the best you could have had for Berg. It may not be what you hope for when you bring in such a huge signing. But it wasn't like people were walking away going "who's this Goldberg jabroni?" I also don't think Rock was being so over the top to the point where it overshadowed Goldberg. Of course that's a point that is subjective. Clearly if Rock overshadowed Goldberg in this match to you, I can't really argue against that. But when I watched this match, I thought Rock did a great job selling his fear of Goldberg. Goldberg looked like a destructive force to me and The Rock looked outmatched. I think that's a pretty good impression to leave.
    It's a disastrous debut. Goldberg was getting boos at the end, Goldberg sucks chants, he was the second most memorable man in his debut, and he never fully recovered from it. Its about as bad as a debut can get, short of him actually losing the match.

I don't think Rock sold fear at all, or sold well at all. He bumped huge, but as Dolph Ziggler would show you there's a world of difference between bumping and selling. There's a point in this match where Goldberg hits a spear, then shortly afterwards the Rock hits his own spear, kips up, taunts the crowd as if the original spear never happened.

Even towards the end he takes a spear and his reaction is so cartoony that it looks like he's being sarcastic when he's selling.

I completely disagree that Rocky made Goldberg look bad. The Rock worked the match as he did with all of his Hollywood Rock matches including the previous month at Wrestlemania. It's an entire feud/match built around Rock clearly faking being confident and when the actual match came, Goldberg kicked Rock's ass and kicked out of all of Rocky's moves. This isn't like HBK/Hogan Summerslam 2005 where Michaels was acting out of character. This was simply normal Rock. If that overshadows Goldberg, then that sounds like a Goldberg problem to me.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I completely disagree that Rocky made Goldberg look bad. The Rock worked the match as he did with all of his Hollywood Rock matches including the previous month at Wrestlemania. It's an entire feud/match built around Rock clearly faking being confident and when the actual match came, Goldberg kicked Rock's ass and kicked out of all of Rocky's moves. This isn't like HBK/Hogan Summerslam 2005 where Michaels was acting out of character. This was simply normal Rock. If that overshadows Goldberg, then that sounds like a Goldberg problem to me.
    But when a match is booked it should have a clear goal in mind. I think most would agree that Goldberg's debut should be to get him over and make him look good.

It's then up to the bookers/agents, and the talent in the match to achieve that.

This completely failed to achieve any of its objectives and to me that falls on the The Rock and the agents. They should have either toned down the Rock's mannerisms or changed the match. It may be a "Goldberg problem", but I don't understand why you would put the guy you want to get over in a sub-optimal position instead of booking him to his strengths.

The Rock was the same against Austin the previous month. However the match with Austin's objectives were different to the Goldberg match. In the Austin match they didn't need to get Austin over or establish him as he was already there. The only goal of the Austin match was to go out, put on an entertaining match, and carry Austin to something decent by whatever means.

The Goldberg match is about putting over Goldberg and making people excited for him going forward. It completely failed and therefore I think its a crap match.

I thought it played up Goldberg's strengths. Rocky sold that one big spear as if Goldberg broke his ribs. Goldberg came out of the match looking good, he just didn't have a personality that could match Rock's. Which let's face it, Goldberg never had.

In one night, Goldberg got to dominate one of the biggest WWE stars of the last several years. Sounds good to me.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I thought it played up Goldberg's strengths. Rocky sold that one big spear as if Goldberg broke his ribs. Goldberg came out of the match looking good, he just didn't have a personality that could match Rock's. Which let's face it, Goldberg never had.

In one night, Goldberg got to dominate one of the biggest WWE stars of the last several years. Sounds good to me.
    Goldberg didn't really dominate. Rock was outsmarting him right until the last two minutes of the match, and all that made Goldberg look dumb. Similar to Hogan vs Michaels.

If Goldberg didn't have the personality to match the Rock, then why put him in a position in his debut that would expose that? If it played up to Goldberg's strengths, Goldberg might have gotten over in his debut, as opposed to being jeered and never connecting with the WWE fans.

This might have been a fine match as Goldberg's fourth pay-per-view match after he's killed a few fools and shown why Goldberg is Goldberg. Let people see the positives of Goldberg and how awesome he is, rather than just put him in a terrible position right from the start that exposes him. Even in your replies, you're saying that Goldberg doesn't have the personality of the Rock or that the match is a Goldberg problem - the purpose of a debut match shouldn't emphasise the weaknesses of your talent. That's exactly what happened to Steiner in 2003 too (albeit on a much larger scale). It would be like Asuka debuting against Dana Brooke, having a 13 minute match where Dana gets in a tonne of offence and makes it all about her.
    Last edited by Shock; 05-23-2020 at 02:50 AM.

It was booked because it was the only chance for Goldberg vs Rock to happen. The problems with Goldberg's first run with the WWE has nothing to do with The Rock match. The problems is everything that came after that with the WWE failing to understand what made Goldberg work in the first place.

And to be fair, I'm not saying the match was a problem, but if it was, which as I've been saying all along, I don't have any problem with it, it would be a Goldberg problem.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

If the company is determined to run it because they have to, then it should have been wrestled differently to his usual style. I'd liken it to something like Cena vs RVD or Cena vs Punk from MITB - I think those are good examples from Cena of a guy reading the room and showing different aspects of his personality to get the situation, match and opponent over. As opposed to doing what the Rock did and wrestle the same way and have the same mannerisms, and ultimately make Goldberg look like shit. And the proof that he made him look like shit is in the crowd - the crowd was already tentative going into the match, but by the end they were fully against Goldberg. And Goldberg never recovered from that in his whole WWE run.

It's also a situation where the WWE had told their fans that Goldberg sucked for years. Goldberg was always going to have to be a rebuilding project for the WWE because of their treatment of him long before he came in. That ended up being one of the advantages of Goldberg's second run with the company. Enough time had passed that WWE fans weren't still in the mindset of believing everything that was under the WCW banner as being something bad.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread Information