Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jim's Wrestling Reviews Archive

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Jim's Wrestling Reviews Archive

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    And even though I'm never as high on TakeOvers as others are, those are always fun shows.

Even if I ignore the WM pre-shows, that's still five damn hours of average wrestling. In the time I could watch the full WM 33 (Including the pre-show), I could watch a couple of PROGRESS shows and the remaining TakeOver I need to watch.

It's a tad bit difficult to try to get interested in watching Wrestlemania when I look at it like that.
    I can't even encourage you with 'but it's worth seeing for this match' because you already watched the shows, you're just watching them a 2nd time for the sake of a review. Nah, not worth it.

I'd sooner you review Wrestle Kingdom 12 if you were mad enough to review a 5 hour wrestling show to get the thoughts on someone who dipped out of watching it right before it exploded in popularity.

Brick Shithouse

Status

That's fair enough Jim.

But I really wanted to see a review of Bray vs Orton from Wrestlemania 33.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    But I really wanted to see a review of Bray vs Orton from Wrestlemania 33.
    He could do House Of Horrors for Fright Fest 2018

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

He should do Jinder’s World Title reign for Fright Fest.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

After years of keeping my geeky star ratings list in a doc on my hard drive and later a thumb drive (While hoping nothing happens to them), I finally got around to moving the list over to Google Docs to make it easier to not only gain access to it, but to also provide a bit of protection to avoid loss.

Since it's just a Google Doc, it also means anyone can have access to checking it out. I don't know if any of you care (Come laugh at some of Jim's questionable ratings?), but it contains every match I've rated three stars or higher, organized by date and company including a handy outline on the side. For matches I've rated multiple times, the most recent rating is in the parenthesis to the right. For example:

Royal Rumble Match - Royal Rumble 2011 - 3 1/4 (3) (2 1/2)

Apparently, each time I watch this damn match, I've been enjoying it less and less with the ** 1/2 rating being the one from my recent Royal Rumble 2011 review I posted earlier in the month while the original 3 1/4 rating is from when the match originally took place.

It's constantly being updated including with ratings from matches that have been reviewed in incomplete reviews that have yet to be posted.

https://goo.gl/5GKBX4

Squash Fodder

Status
      Country                    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaro View Post
    Can you please review these shows: SummerSlam 1994, WrestleMania 12 and SummerSlam 1997.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Night of the Lucha Bear View Post
    I just saw you never reviewed Fully Loaded 2000. (At least I think so)

With Benoit vs. Rock and Triple H vs. Jericho it has two quite high praised main events and the rest of the card is also not looking that shabby... Also one of my most liked moments of the Attitude Era happened at that PPV. I would like to see a review of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Are you going to do the three Wrestlemania's that you're missing (19, 32 and 33)?
    I'll 2nd the request for reviews of Summer Slam 1997, Fully Loaded 2000 and Wrestlemania 19.

They're all good shows you'd enjoy.

I'm surprised you haven't done reviews for SS97 and WM19 yet.

Summer Slam 1997 is easily the most significant WWF event of 1997 for numerous reasons.

The whole event revolves around The Hart Foundation where each member on RAW made their own match stipulations: If Pillman loses he'll wear a dress for a month. If Davey Boy loses he'll eat a can of dog food. If Owen loses he'll kiss Austin's ass and if Bret loses he'll never wrestle on US soil again.

-Mankind has a really good cage match with HHH that culminates with that amazing elbow from (almost) the top of the cage.

-Shamrock has his most memorable meltdown ever where he suplexes all the referees and officials after destroying Davey Boy.

-Bryan Pillman starts what would end up being his last ever program in the WWF before he died with Goldust

-Owen Hart drops Austin on his head nearly paralyzing the WWF's next breakout star.

-Undertaker's title reign comes to an end as Bret captures his 5th and last WWF title which lead to Montreal.

Fully Loaded 2000 is one of the better WWF PPVs from 2000 with one of my favorite HHH matches ever. A very fun and easy to watch event.

Wrestlemania 19 I think is one of the better Wrestlemania's and really underrated in general. The whole show is good top to bottom other than the Taker vs Show/A-Train match and the pillow fight on the stage.

LRH Tech Support Unit

Status

Jim,

Here's a little bit of a switch.

Can you give your thoughts on the following angles from the '80s:

Col. DeBeers face-first piledrives Jimmy Snuka on the concrete

Jim Cornette torches Ronnie Garvin

Dick Murdoch attacking Ted DiBiase twice on an episode of Mid-South once before a title match with Flair and once after

Eddie Gilbert hitting Jerry Lawler with a car

Dusty Rhodes getting assaulted in the parking lot by the Horsemen

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
    I'm surprised you haven't done reviews for SS97 and WM19 yet.
    I don't know if my original post on this topic is still somewhere in this thread, but the main reason why I've either been slow to review or just haven't reviewed some major shows is because I would have already reviewed individual matches with reviews that could likely be found in the Review the last wrestling match you watched thread. Coupled with the fact that I've seen the big shows multiple times before I even began to review wrestling, it meant these shows weren't the most interesting for me to review at that point compared to covering something far more new or much less watched. Both will be covered though. Already this year, I've covered Summerslam 1994, Wrestlemania 12, and Wrestlemania 20, so I am getting around to covering these big events.

The whole event revolves around The Hart Foundation where each member on RAW made their own match stipulations: If Pillman loses he'll wear a dress for a month. If Davey Boy loses he'll eat a can of dog food. If Owen loses he'll kiss Austin's ass and if Bret loses he'll never wrestle on US soil again.
    And if anyone from the Hart Foundation lost, Jim Neidhart would shave off his iconic goatee. Instead, Neidhart was conveniently off of TV for a couple of months before returning with the goatee still intact.

Quote Originally Posted by vadermania View Post
    Jim,

Here's a little bit of a switch.

Can you give your thoughts on the following angles from the '80s:
    Uhhh...that's going to be really difficult without knowing the dates and which company it took place in.

Col. DeBeers face-first piledrives Jimmy Snuka on the concrete
    1986...AWA?

Jim Cornette torches Ronnie Garvin
    1985/1986 JCP?

Dick Murdoch attacking Ted DiBiase twice on an episode of Mid-South once before a title match with Flair and once after
    Okay, this one is easy since it's the most well known episode of Mid-South TV. Sadly, the WWE Network doesn't have that episode of Mid-South. I'm sure the episode will be easy to get elsewhere though.

Eddie Gilbert hitting Jerry Lawler with a car
    Well, clearly it's Memphis pre-USWA. Maybe 1985ish since the second half of the 80s had Gilbert working off and on with UWF and later JCP/WCW.

Dusty Rhodes getting assaulted in the parking lot by the Horsemen
    I assume it's the "Make it good" attack? In which case, that's 1986.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Jim, review wXw Tag League 2017 please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Jim, review wXw Tag League 2017 please.
    If you have easy access to the shows (Subscription to wXw Now?), I am curious if all three shows feature the same song played for all of the themes or if each show has a different song.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

If you have easy access to the shows (Subscription to wXw Now?), I am curious if all three shows feature the same song played for all of the themes or if each show has a different song.
    yeah, I'm subbed up to wXw Now.

LRH Tech Support Unit

Status

Jim,

It is the attack on Snuka by DeBeers in 1986 at the Showboat.

Here's the video of the assault. The angle starts around the 7:45 mark (one of my fave angles of the '80s):

https://youtu.be/Ghk7Eqe-lqU

The Mid-South angle was the one where Murdoch busted DiBiase open on the post and then later in the show brain busted DiBiase on the concrete. Maybe the best looking brain buster I've ever seen.

The Dusty-Horsemen angle is the one you mentioned where they hire a cameraman to film the assault and break Dusty's arm.

Cornette-Garvin face burning was from World Wide in '87 at the end of that US Tag Title match where Jimmy Garvin was turned.

Not sure of the year of the Lawler-Gilbert car incident. Just remember seeing it on 'Pro Wrestling This Week'.

Here's the vid of the car assault:

https://youtu.be/G27ssw7Np4c
    Last edited by vadermania; 02-21-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vadermania View Post
    Jim,

It is the attack on Snuka by DeBeers in 1986 at the Showboat.

Here's the video of the assault. The angle starts around the 7:45 mark (one of my fave angles of the '80s):

https://youtu.be/Ghk7Eqe-lqU

The Mid-South angle was the one where Murdoch busted DiBiase open on the post and then later in the show brain busted DiBiase on the concrete. Maybe the best looking brain buster I've ever seen.

The Dusty-Horsemen angle is the one you mentioned where they hire a cameraman to film the assault and break Dusty's arm.

Cornette-Garvin face burning was from World Wide in '87 at the end of that US Tag Title match where Jimmy Garvin was turned.

Not sure of the year of the Lawler-Gilbert car incident. Just remember seeing it on 'Pro Wrestling This Week'.

Here's the vid of the car assault:

https://youtu.be/G27ssw7Np4c
    Rather than review these individual angles, if you don't mind, I'm going to aim to review the weekly shows in which these angles took place on. It gives me the full context of how the angle was presented on TV and a bit of background of what else was happening in the company when the angle took place.

LRH Tech Support Unit

Status

Rather than review these individual angles, if you don't mind, I'm going to aim to review the weekly shows in which these angles took place on. It gives me the full context of how the angle was presented on TV and a bit of background of what else was happening in the company when the angle took place.
    No problem. Looking forward to seeing what you have to say on them.

Maybe this is stupid, but for anyone who reads my reviews, are there any issues with me double dipping my reviews like I'm doing currently with the WWE Women's Evolution DVD or with my Coliseum Home Videos? On one hand, I don't want to do it if it just comes across as a cheap way for me to create a new thread without putting in 100% effort, but on the other hand, especially for WWE DVDs, I've found my interest in reviewing them has drastically decreased due to the fact that I've already covered so many of the matches. However, by double dipping, it allows me to push myself to review the full DVD, which typically includes some matches I haven't covered before. Especially for the free TV matches, it's the best way to get me to cover them.

Any thoughts on this dilemma or is this something that only I'm concerned about?

People's Champion

Status

My only issue with your reviews is you dont pump out enough. Wheres my WWF Oct 16 1988 LA sports Arena review??

I have no issue with double dipping. Its not cheap. Any reviews are welcomed!!! Except current era WWE( last 10 years)

Keep firing away on Coliseum home videos and do more unreleased WWE sets. It also helps with less double dipping
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

Brick Shithouse

Status

If your thoughts are the same as before then there's no reason to change it up. So I don't mind, though I would suggest watching the matches again just in case your opinions have changed.

I've never minded, and that's speaking as someone who has read almost all your reviews.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    My only issue with your reviews is you dont pump out enough. Wheres my WWF Oct 16 1988 LA sports Arena review??
    It must have gotten lost in the mail.

That show will be covered at some point, I promise, but 1988 was such a repetitive time period that I feel as if I've already reviewed most of those matches so many times already, even without covering that specific match. Like Roberts vs Rude or Hart Foundation vs Rougeau Brothers, how many times have I already reviewed that damn match-up at the various shows?

I have no issue with double dipping. Its not cheap. Any reviews are welcomed!!! Except current era WWE( last 10 years)
    The reality of the situation is that there's going to keep being a lot of WWE in the last decade reviews coming out for the rest of the year. I've covered every WWE PPV between 1985-1995, one away from finishing 1996, done with years like 2001 and 2005, and for the rest of those years, I have a majority of the PPVs covered already. Where there's a lot of PPVs still to cover is in the last decade. Take 2011 for example. 13 PPVs, but so far I've only covered 4. There's also the personal interest in the fact that for a lot of these PPVs, I've seen nothing from them. The time period of mostly focusing on really old shows from the 80s or 90s has passed. I'll always keep going back to that time period, but especially PPV wise, which the PPVs are what I feel any readers care about the most, it has to be mostly newer stuff.

Keep firing away on Coliseum home videos and do more unreleased WWE sets. It also helps with less double dipping
    There is also the need of some quality though. If a review is just filled with 2 star matches, it feels pretty repetitive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergej Milinkovic-Shockic View Post
    If your thoughts are the same as before then there's no reason to change it up. So I don't mind, though I would suggest watching the matches again just in case your opinions have changed.
    The thing is, I don't re-watch the matches. So in theory, the opinion could change or it could stay the same. From the few times I've re-reviewed a match, my opinion tends not to change too much. The best example I can find of that is Wrestlemania 7, which I covered in 2008 and then came around to re-review in 2017. The ratings:

The Rockers vs Haku and The Barbarian
    *** 1/4 vs *** 1/4

The Texas Tornado vs Dino Bravo
    * 1/2 vs * 1/4

The British Bulldog vs The Warlord
    ** vs ** 3/4

The Hart Foundation vs The Nasty Boys
    ** 3/4 vs ***

Jake Roberts vs Rick Martel
    *** vs ***

The Undertaker vs Jimmy Snuka
    N/R vs **
    (I still don't know how I missed reviewing this match in my 2008 review)

The Ultimate Warrior vs Randy Savage
    **** vs **** 1/2

Demolition vs Genichiro Tenryu and Kōji Kitao
    * 1/2 vs * 1/2

Mr. Perfect vs The Big Boss Man
    * vs * 3/4

Earthquake w/Jimmy Hart vs Greg Valentine
    * vs **

The Legion of Doom vs Power & Glory
    1/4 * vs **

Ted DiBiase vs Virgil
    * vs * 1/2

The Mountie w/Jimmy Hart vs Tito Santana
    1/2 * vs 1 1/4 *

Sgt. Slaughter © w/Gen. Adnan vs Hulk Hogan
    ** vs ** 3/4
    ---

Considering that's nine years difference, that's pretty consistent.

In theory, I could just always re-watch these matches, but I also know from past experience that if I know I've covered a match before, I'm less likely to re-watch a match just for the sake of a review. It's why big shows like Wrestlemania 19 and 20 only finally got properly reviewed this year.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    United States

Man, that Demolition Squash job really pissed me off. It still does to this day. Especially to two guys who didn't stay around long. I know, I know, Demolition was on their way out, but if you're going to have them Squashed, do it against The Road warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Strife View Post
    Man, that Demolition Squash job really pissed me off. It still does to this day. Especially to two guys who didn't stay around long. I know, I know, Demolition was on their way out, but if you're going to have them Squashed, do it against The Road warriors.
    As a WWE viewer, it comes across as really weird since Tenryu and Kitao aren't WWE guys and you're certainly not going to find them on the weeklies, but I imagine it was just a political move. Since the WWE had gotten into bed with Tenryu's SWS company, WWE gave them a free win on PPV. WWE guys like Haku and The Natural Disasters ended up ruling the SWS company, so the WWE still easily came out ahead when practically all the WWE gave SWS was a win over a tag team that were literally never going to team on TV again.

Thread Information