Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ring Of Honor General Discussion Thread

Last Real Man Hype

Status

ROH Ring Of Honor General Discussion Thread

This week on "Ring of Honor Wrestling" the main event features Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander challenging Mark & Jay Briscoe for the ROH World Tag Team Championship! In Addition, the 2013 Top Prospect Tournament kicks off with "God's Gift" QT Marshall vs. Mike Sydal and Nigel McGuinness confronts Jay Lethal in the middle of the ring. Plus Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish face Alabama Attitude in the opening match!

It's a new year and now it's time for new episodes, new graphics and a new thread. Now I'm back to try this thread again properly, but until I can actually view this episode I can't comment, so there's the preview.
    Last edited by Tennessee Nicky; 12-30-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Re: Ring Of Honor Wrestling 2013 Discussion Thread

So... It's the first time I've watched any ROH in a while so there's a couple of questions that I have and I'd very much appreciate the answers if anyone out there has them.

Who the hell is Caleb Seltzer and why is Nigel McGuiness no longer on the commentary team?

Where is Jim Cornette?

Why can't Jay Lethal face Kevin Steen for the World title if he has a legitimate claim to the number one contendership?

Other than that, I'm about half way through the show and I have to admit I wasn't overly impressed with the opening tag match; it was a little bit all over the place and the psychology in particular was a problem for me. It felt like they were just doing moves for something to do, rather than to make any kind of story in the match and work towards a logical finish.

The confrontation between Lethal and McGuinness was highly enjoyable; nice bubbling tension between the pair, and it just makes me a little sad that Nigel isn't going to be getting back in the ring any time soon.

QT Marshall vs. Mike Sydal is ok, but it's not really holding my attention. It does have me thinking that Evan Bourne getting dropped from the 'E may be the best thing to ever happen for his little brother though, as a tag team rub from Matt would do Mike the world of good and help hide his weaknesses until he's better.

Time Lord Death Machine

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Who the hell is Caleb Seltzer and why is Nigel McGuiness no longer on the commentary team?
    Nigel got promoted to Jim Cornette's position, and Caleb Seltzer is his replacement. He's from some New England indy affiliated with QT Marshall and Antonio Thomas among others.

Where is Jim Cornette?
    Jim Cornette has been written on television because Jay Lethal threw him over a table and hurt his knee. This is because a lot of ROH talent have been very vocal about their distaste of Cornette backstage. A lot of people point to him as the reason why Kenny King left the company while being tag team champion to go to TNA. Kevin Steen stated in his shoot interview that all of the heat between him and Cornette on screen has been very genuine.

Why can't Jay Lethal face Kevin Steen for the World title if he has a legitimate claim to the number one contendership?
    This is because Lethal faced Steen for the title in his home state of New Jersey where Steen spit on Lethal's mother. Lethal went berserk and the match got thrown out which led to the aforementioned backstage incident where Lethal put Cornette on the shelf. Kevin Steen said after he got attacked by Lethal, he wasn't going to show up at Glory By Honor to face Michael Elgin unless he didn't have to face Jay Lethal ever again. ROH hesitantly agreed.

Credit for this lovely sig goes to The EC, who is beautiful no matter what they say.

I have such sights to show you.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    de=Germany

Real talk:

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    Because the last time he main evented against Steen in his hometown (!), he only got 200 visitors.

Seriously, noone gives a crap about Lethal. Not even his neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Pop View Post
    Because the last time he main evented against Steen in his hometown (!), he only got 200 visitors.

Seriously, noone gives a crap about Lethal. Not even his neighborhood.
    It was a house show days before the next iPPV. No one believed Lethal had a chance to win the belt. Having an iPPV in New Jersey with Lethal challenging for the belt would be a much more accurate way to determine if anyone cares about Lethal or not.

On Vacation

Status

Seriously Jim, Lethal shouldn't be anywhere near the ROH title. He shouldn't even be in the same building as the ROH title.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Smart talk
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post

Caleb is the supposed temporary replacement for Nigel who was named the new ROH "match maker". Rumours are Adam Pearce is the new colour guy but for unknown reasons, apparently personal, he hasn't appeared yet. It's not clear whether Caleb is here to stay, but I should hope not.

Where is Jim Cornette?

In Lethal's title shot, Steen spat on his mother and started a brawl, ending the match in a No Contest. Then this happened:

The kayfabe is Lethal injured Cornette's back, but the reality is Cornette is to take a leave of absence and give full creative control to Delirious.

Following that incident, Steen threatened to drop the belt unless some demands were met, including Lethal being denied title shots as long as Steen was champ. ROH didn't want to have their first vacating of the belt, so they complied.

Just got through the episode and found it really enjoyable, though nothing special. The new intro and graphics, however, rule.

- Team Amfishin' (amazed that name got dropped on commentary) vs Alabama Attitude was ok, but suffered from a couple sloppy spots from AA and Amfishin' just not being that interesting in the heat segment. The finishing stretch was fun, though.

- The Lethal/Nigel segment was exactly how I expected it to be, but thankfully had a good closing line from Lethal to keep it in my memory for now.
    - QT/Sydal was better than I thought it'd be, but still doesn't raise my expectations of either guy. If QT shaved, he would have a literal baby face.
    - Corino cut a good promo that put across this "Steen's had a change in attitude" angle better than it just being Kevin Kelly and newswires mentioning it.
    - Briscoes/C&C was good but just felt like the same match they've had several times before. They really should be trying to make C&C a bigger deal than this.

- This week "Ring of Honor Wrestling" TV features a big ROH World Television Title contest with BJ Whitmer challenging Adam Cole. In addition Matt Hardy faces Rhett Titus and Silas Young battles Adam Page in a 2013 Top Prospect Tournament First Round Match. Plus, Jay Lethal confronts ROH World Champion Kevin Steen in the middle of the ring!

Cole/Whitmer could be really good and looks it, plus looking forward to Silas Young. Hardy/Titus should be skippable, I imagine.

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Who's scruffy-looking?

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    Just got through the episode and found it really enjoyable, though nothing special. The new intro and graphics, however, rule.
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the episode as well.

Really digging the new graphics. They're cool and slick. I never really cared for the ones they were using last year.

Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

I don't think Caleb is that bad?

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Caleb isn't bad, but it's like having two Kevin Kellys on commentary.

Sweet Meat

Status

haha, that's actually a good point.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Last Real Man Hype

Status

- Opening segment was fine. Lethal says the right things, but his delivery just doesn't fill me with any excitement. Dare I say, it lacks the killer instinct. Steen saying more than two words would've improved this a lot, as I don't think him only saying "I accept" made as much impact as they'd hoped.

- "The Punani Predator, Truth Martini is back!"
    - Silas/Page was solid, and holy fuck at that backdrop to the floor Silas took! His new finisher, a Full-Nelson in a kinda seated Crossface position looks cool. Also, Silas: "Suck my dick, f*****!"

- EVERYONE needs to see the Charlie Haas vs Cheeseburger segment. Fucking hell is Haas over as a heel. He had trash thrown at him throughout the whole promo and he destroyed that kid with that belly-to-belly. Everything Haas does these days is gold.

- Goddamn is Matt Hardy fat. I thought ROH brought him in to show people he was getting back to being a good performer and he looks like a fat stoner in pyjama bottoms that's been startled.

- Cole/Whitmer was good fun and the finish was well-worked with BJ's concussion coming in to play. Sweet series of moves by Cole to finish him off.
    - Next week is the SCUM/Wolves/Team Amfishin'/Bravados gauntlet, which looks great.

On Vacation

Status

Cole taking advantage on Whitmer's injury might be an indicator of a slow turn for him.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

BJ slapped him when Cole went to check on him, so it was more of a "Ok, if you're gonna be like that, I'm just gonna finish you now" type thing. I do think Cole's turning when this Hardy nonsense is over, though.

On Vacation

Status

The thing is that ROH is running out of babyfaces. At the moment, only the Briscoes, Cole and Edwards seem to get good reactions everywhere. And if you take that into account, you shouldn't necessarily turn any of those four.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

This week on "Ring of Honor Wrestling" TV the number 1 contenders for the ROH Tag Team Titles will be decided when 4 teams collide in a Tag Team Gauntlet to earn a golden opportunity at the "11th Anniversary"! It's The American Wolves vs. Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly vs. SCUM (Jimmy Jacobs & Steve Corino) vs. The Bravado Brothers in the main event! In addition, Tadarius Thomas faces Antonio Thomas in a 2013 Top Prospect Tournament First Round Match. Plus, Roderick Strong faces Grizzly Redwood and "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin battles "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett with Maria Kanellis & Brutal Bob. This is the best wrestling on the planet today so don't miss out!

Not sure how they're going to fit so many matches in 50 minutes, but I'm really looking forward to the gauntlet. Hope Roddy all-out squashes Grizzly. I hate how Grizzly somehow gets more offence than way bigger opponents.

On Vacation

Status

The thing with gauntlets is that you just don't have enough time on TV to make each team look decent. In the end, you'll have approximately 15 minutes for 8 people, which just doesn't make sense. On the flipside, it shows that this tag division is something to get into.

BTW: They should skip the "best wrestling on the planet" sentence in their advertisements. Noone believes them after 2012

Dat Boi

Status
      Country                    United States

Well, what're they supposed to say? "Yeah, we're pretty fucking clownshoes"?

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Crippler View Post
    Well, what're they supposed to say? "Yeah, we're pretty fucking clownshoes"?

You tell D Pop to stay in the Indy and Puro section due to his comments and now you come in here with your Nonsensical lame ass comments. What the hell does clownshoes even mean, tunamelt?
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    You tell D Pop to stay in the Indy and Puro section due to his comments and now you come in here with your Nonsensical lame ass comments. What the hell does clownshoes even mean, tunamelt?
    Says the guy still calling him "tunamelt" for some reason...

What's nonsensical about pointing out that no promotion is ever going to say "Tune in for some good wrestling, but maybe not the best, depending on your opinion, because it is all subjective in the end!"?

Thread Information