Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667
Results 1,321 to 1,327 of 1327

Thread: Ring Of Honor General Discussion Thread

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Ring Of Honor General Discussion Thread

Watched this weeks ep, spotlight was on TV Champ Dragon Lee.

Firat match was from All Star Extravaganza 2016 against Kamatachi. Good but sloppy at times, I've seen better between the two from New Japan.

The MSG Jr. Title triple threat would jave been better in any singles combo but totally understand the booking. If there's one thing I took away from this spotlight, it's how much better a wrestler Lee is than Bandido, and I like Bandido (apart from hia finisher).

Lastly, there was the TV Title match from Final Battle against Shane Taylor. Surprisingly my favourite match of the show, as Lee adapted to Taylor's size and kept the strength moves back and wrestled from under instead. If ever you wanted an insight into the dire straights ROH were in at this point though, check out how empty the crowd is here compared to previous Final Battle's. Jarring to say the least, especially as it follows a march from the MSG show.

Then decided to keep up the momentum and watched Lee/Ospreay from Manhatten Mayhem, and that was real good as well. Solid evening of Dragon Lee based graps in all.

His brother is up next week.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

[Run]

Status

Rush-based graps this week. Started with his match with Barbaro Cavernario on Youtube. Solid enough but very exhibitiony and a shit crowd to boot.

Onto the TV episode, starting with his World Title win over Matt Taven. Immediately the presentation looks ten times better BTW. The quick win tease was good and something I'd have been totally down for at the time, loved how protected they kept The Bulls Horns throughout too. Not sure how chucking a portion of the barricade at someone isn't a DQ though. Anyway, I enjoyed this, Taven played his part well, Rush again comes off as a true superstar and a rare moment of sanity from ROH in 2019.

I should note that Rush essentially acts as a heel throughout his matches, so in hindsight the "turn" at the beginning of this year I was critical of isn't entirely unfounded. He's certainly more comfortable in the role, he's just so naturally charismatic why wouldn't you want to cheer him over 90% of the roster?

Finally, his title defence against Jeff Cobb in the UK. Not a lot to this one either, another shit crowd (low numbers hidden by the lighting too), Cobb's a great athlete but there's nothing behind him when you get past the movez.

Stunned that my favourite match of the trio involved Matt Taven, but I guess that's the benefit of having a clear defined character. Still a Rush fan though.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Rush-based graps this week. Started with his match with Barbaro Cavernario on Youtube. Solid enough but very exhibitiony and a shit crowd to boot.

Onto the TV episode, starting with his World Title win over Matt Taven. Immediately the presentation looks ten times better BTW. The quick win tease was good and something I'd have been totally down for at the time, loved how protected they kept The Bulls Horns throughout too. Not sure how chucking a portion of the barricade at someone isn't a DQ though. Anyway, I enjoyed this, Taven played his part well, Rush again comes off as a true superstar and a rare moment of sanity from ROH in 2019.

I should note that Rush essentially acts as a heel throughout his matches, so in hindsight the "turn" at the beginning of this year I was critical of isn't entirely unfounded. He's certainly more comfortable in the role, he's just so naturally charismatic why wouldn't you want to cheer him over 90% of the roster?

Finally, his title defence against Jeff Cobb in the UK. Not a lot to this one either, another shit crowd (low numbers hidden by the lighting too), Cobb's a great athlete but there's nothing behind him when you get past the movez.

Stunned that my favourite match of the trio involved Matt Taven, but I guess that's the benefit of having a clear defined character. Still a Rush fan though.

Taven gets a lot of shit. Hes not nearly as bad as people think he is. He also got a great single match out of PCO. And dare i say it... Rush's title win is actually his best ROH Match.
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

[Run]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Taven gets a lot of shit. Hes not nearly as bad as people think he is. He also got a great single match out of PCO. And dare i say it... Rush's title win is actually his best ROH Match.
    Rush's or Taven's best match? Because it's definitely the best Rush match I've seen so far (although quite a few of those were sub 5 sprints)

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Rush's or Taven's best match? Because it's definitely the best Rush match I've seen so far (although quite a few of those were sub 5 sprints)

Best Rush match in ROH by far
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

[Run]

Status

This weeks Brody King spotlight is pretty good. Made me appreciate him as a talent a lot more. Next week is Silas Young based, dunno if I'll bother with that one, I'll wait for the match listing first (although one is against Kenny King, so that's an instant mark against).

[Run]

Status

The Silas Young spotlight was okay but skippable. Never knew ROH had booked the Last Man Standing match as his specialty. Dude has a nice house too, ROH money clearly ain't nothing to sniff at if that's what you can get with it.

Watched his No DQ match with Steen on Youtube after, and that was easily the best of the 3 matches I watched. Bandido showcase next week, ROH has put a ton of his stuff out there so I'll wait for the match list before commiting to that one in case it's all stuff I've already seen.

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667

Thread Information