Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Indy Match/Show Review Thread

Tommy Got Hacked

The Indy Match/Show Review Thread

This one should be obvious from the title. Post the last wrestling match you watched and write a review of it. The review can be as long or short as you want, but try to add some detail rather than just one line saying 'it was good' or whatever. Obviously you can take issue with the reviews of others and discussion will develop from that. If you like, give a star rating at the end of your review, but it is not compulsory.

Bryan Danielson vs Nigel McGuinness, ROH World Title and Pure Title Unification Match - Unified

Just finished watching this a few minutes ago, and it was the inspiration for this thread. I watched their match at Weekend of Champions yesterday and Generation Now earlier today, both of which provided good build to this one due to the finishes, with Danielson losing the first match on a countout to Nigel after he used a steel chair to block Dragon's dive. The second match saw Danielson pick up the win after he crawled under the ring, came out the other side and surprised Nigel with a small package for the 3 count. Obviously these finishes did little to determine who the better man is, so we are left with a title unification match at Unified in England, with Dragon's World Title and Nigel's Pure title on the line. The first two matches were good but I was expecting this one to be a lot better than those, simply because they were designed to build the feud, and this one would surely feature a more definitive finish.

I wasn't disappointed, as I found it to be a great back and forth match with a lot of great wrestling throughout. Some typically good heel work from Danielson, and although the feud is based on wrestling, it got pretty personal early on with both men delivering slaps to the face. A lot of scientific wrestling at the start with Dragon getting the better of Nigel, eventually forcing him to use all 3 of his rope breaks. Danielson himself had to use one to escape a Tower of London pin attempt. After that the match eventually become more violent, with a lot of Nigel lariats (of course). I especially like his lariat when his opponent is on the ropes and he comes off the 2nd rope to hit them with it. It was cool seeing him use the cattle mutilation on Dragon too. The match really picked up when Dragon tried to win by countout by trapping Nigel under a table on the outside. Nigel made it back in and we had an epic exchange of right hands. The finishing stretch was incredibly dramatic, after they fought on the outside once again and Dragon pulled Nigel's head into the ringpost repeatedly. Nigel was busted open, and Dragon kicked him into the crowd before executing his signature dive from the top rope to the crowd to take out Nigel. This exchange ended with Nigel narrowly beating the count to make it back to the ring, throwing himself in with milliseconds to spare, and the sight of Nigel firing himself up covered in blood, when it looked like he had lost seconds earlier, was great. Nigel was incredibly intense in this match and we saw a dramatic exchange of headbutts, with Nigel getting the better of Danielson. He then kicked out of one of Nigel's epic lariats before Nigel found himself locked in the Cattle Mutilation for the 2nd time in the match, with no rope breaks remaining. Nigel managed to struggle out and almost stole a win by countering another Cattle Mutilation attempt into a pin attempt. Nigel refused to tap so instead Dragon started attacking Nigel with the brutal elbows to the side of the head, and considering the amount of blows to the head Nigel had already taken during the match, including those against the ring post which originally busted him open, it wasn't long before the ref had to stop it. Bryan Danielson wins the pure title and unifies the championships. I found this match to be extremely dramatic and it had amazing psychology with Nigel refusing to quit but being put away by the elbows at the end. I would give it ****1/2
    Last edited by Jim; 05-23-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Review the last wrestling match you watched

ANNIVERSARIO DOS - CHIKARA - JUNE 2009 - F.I.S.T (Icarus and Chuck Taylor w/Gran Akuma) vs. The Colony (Fire Ant and Soldier Ant w/ Worker Ant) - Mask vs. Hair Match

This match-up showed where you can find great tag team wrestling with the match form missing on television. Four brilliant, young competitors of the future clashed in a feud that has long strained in CHIKARA. First off, the people who call Chuck Taylor untalented and overrated are completely wrong. Taylor dominated Fire Ant throughout most of this match, including an incredible move in which he bounce Fire off the ropes from the outside with a back body drop, spin him around, threw him on the barricade, and connected with a kick.

Icarus may be one of the best heels in indepedent wrestling. His refusal to draw and do flashy moves draws a wide hatred from the fans, alng with Chuck Taylor hating kids, this is a perfect stable.

Icarus and Chuck show a great amount of technical skill mixed with great chemistry and team work. Enough about FIST, though

The Colony played the card of the struggling face who ave to fight back. Soldier Ant was taken out of the match after getting an Omega Driver from Chuckie T onto a table. This leaves Fire Ant, who for a good portion of the match, rebounded with acrobatics and great chemistry with his opponents. Near the end of the match, Soldier Ant comes back, and the Colony defeats FIST

What I liked about this match up apart from how this shows two teams working together with their partners and their enemies, but it also showed a good, fast paced, winded match-up with technical prowess and high flying spots. Not to mention, several near falls.

****1/4 Stars out of Five.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

Jerry Lynn vs Bryan Danielson vs Tyler Black vs Austin Aries - ROH on HDNet

A lot of these ROH fourways are really avarege and padestrian to me. Didn't care for either PPV one, and I don't really find myself liking the HDnet matches, but this was good. The first half was as average and padestrian as I thought it would be... it just feels like they are killing time before they go into the big finishing stretch. I literally can't think of anything stand-out that happend in the first 10 minutes and I watched this a few minutes ago. Actaully, no, I remember them doing some chain link chinlock spot which felt really out of place, its the sort of spot that belongs in a "fun" undercard match not a big title match.

Once they hit their stride however and started with the finishing stretch it was fun stuff. I really liked the focus on Aries throughout, from him taking a beating from the 3 faces in sucession to him trying to get them counted out, to the general sense that he was going to win throughout the match. This made for some nice nearfalls with him going for sneaky rollups and the like. There were some nutty spots like the sunset flip>german suplex and the big dives. Tyler was fine here up until he did the bucklebomb>superkick spot complete with girly scream, which may be my least favourite spot in wrestling. Loved the double submision attempt, highlight of the match. Aries and Danielson looked good as always, Black was rock solid outside the bucklebomb and Lynn did his best. Couldn't help but laugh at the "fuck you Lynn" chants though, and Hogs reaction to them. Wasn't a fan of the finish, and the crowd were pissed at Lynn retaining.

I think MOTYC is a stretch, but it was good for sure. Definately the best HDNet match I've seen so far.

Sweet Meat

Status

You need to start giving snow flakes or a 1/10 rating imo.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Internet Favorite

Status

Cheech and Cloudy vs. Rhett Titus and Kenny King - ROH on HDNET, 8/14/09

Good little tv match. Crowd was pretty funny, chanting "You're a Virgin!" at Addicted to Love. Anyways, this one was a tad bit restholdy at the beginning, especially for a C & C match. Once the real action got going, though, both teams looked good. Cloudy got the shit beat out of him for 3/4 of the match, including a very painful looking bump at the end, when he hit the barricade head first. Rhett Titus looked good, a bit below what I expect from him though. I was very impressed by King and Cloudy however, hitting some really big moves (of course, a lot of credit has to be given to Cloudy for selling them) like a Knee Trembler, and a big clothesline on Cloudy that made him flip over. Cheech looked good, but mostly in his double team maneuvers with Cloudy, including a double 619. All in all, not a great match, but it was pretty good in my book.

**3/4.

Indy Talent

Status

Ric Blade versus Trent Acid 3PW A Funkin Classic
    Started off kind of slow, but it picked up once Acid DDT'd Blade on the ring apron and Blade got cut open hard way. Blade showed in this contest that he can spring around the ring and has some great balance. It's too bad that 3PW were holding shows at the Electric Factory as not a lot of people were their and werent able to see a solid contest between two young workers. Acid picked up the win after finally connecting with a yakuza kick.

Eddie Edwards vs Brent Albright
    This match felt as if it lasted far longer than it really did. Some good mat wrestling early on before kicking it into second drive. Edwards is starting to really impress me. He's still a ways away before being one of the better men on the roster, but he's getting there. The finish hurt it some as I just wanted something clean. Meh. Better than it would have been a year ago. 2 3/4 Stars.

Dark City Fight Club vs The House of Truth
    I love the whole team of Truth. For not being regulars (They're not regulars yet, right?), they ended up leaving a bigger impression on me than other brought in wrestlers of the past. DCFC just kicks ass ala APA. Even though the match was designed to give DCFC a win to get back on track, I was left being more impressed with Raymond and Able. 2 1/2 Stars.

Jimmy Rave vs Grizzly Redwood
    Ugh. I love Grizzly in CHIKARA, but he's so boring in ROH. Rave rarely does anything for me, despite being in some great feuds in the past. To make matters worse, Necro Butcher ran in and brawled with Rave around the building. Necro throws some HORRIBLE punches. I'm I really supposed to be excited to see them in a dog collar match (My favorite match type) the next night? 1 1/2 Stars.

Davey Richards vs Claudio Castagnoli
    Slow start, but the match got better the longer it went. Davey is just unbelievable right now. Claudio got in his no hands airplane spin, but with Davey holding on to Claudio's head, the move isn't as impressive as it is in CHIKARA. Nice arm work by Davey near the end. The Ricola Bomb reversed into the Code Red was awesome. A few issues kept it from being as good as it was capable of being, but yet another stand out match from both men. It did make me want to rewatch their past matches to see how they compare. However, I doubt they could be anywhere near as good as this. 3 3/4 Stars.

Sweet Meat

Status

Kenny King and Austin Amadeus vs. Austin Aries and Delirious - GEAR

Downloaded a few GEAR matches and never got around to watching them. This match was pretty good but not exactly something you should go out of your way to see. Aries/Delirious worked well together and King was very fun. One of the commentators were kind of annoying and Austin Amadeus was.. okay. All around fun match but nothing epic.

***1/4

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

WAKE UP

Status

Can't recall any sloppyness to be honest, if anything the reason the match was so good was because all of the spots were hit seemlessly. Anyway I think you are overating it a bit. It was a good juniors style all action match and the sort of popcorn match the whole family can enjoy, but I don't see how it's really a big MOTYC.

Anyway, I watched ROH "Redemption" off my order last order last night as I had to scrap my plans. Overall a great show and certainly gets the thumbs up for recommendation. Undercard is entertaining with the fourway being a short go-go-go match and Delirious being awesome, Cabana/Spanky is a fun comedy match and BJ/Jimmy vs Nigel/Chad is unspecactular but has some nifty double teams moves, still a solid match.

Everything after that ranges from "really good" to "pretty damn great". Embassy/Gen Next is the weakest match I've seen between the two sides, mostly because Abyss gives Gen Next wayyyy too much, but it's still pretty good. Ki/Lethal has a ridiculously awesome Ki performance and is hell of a match to continue the fued. Hardy/Homicide is a lot better than I remember it being, only downside was Hardy's submission finisher not being over.

Main event was pretty great mostly because of how well layed out it was and because they made the story clear from the start. I get tired of these multiman matches where guys make alliances then inevitably turn on each other in predictable fashion, this was better as everyone's roles were made clear from the start with the 3 faces all wanting to just get Punk. Match was really well paced too, at no point was all 4 guys in running around doing stuff, much slower and more methodical and better for it. Injury angle with Gibson was so well done and the crowd lost their shit when he returned.

Great main event with a big result, rock solid undercard and a bunch of really good matches in the middle, definate thumbs up

Austin Aries (c) vs Petey Williams - ROH World Title - Glory By Honor VIII
    I decided to watch this without the commentary so I have a chance to actually get into this. Aries is an effective heel, putting in a lot of effort into the character instead of just trying to produce a quality match. If there was one main problem of the match, it was that no one believed Petey would win. So, the crowd was either A) Dead or B) Chanting 'Twinkies' every chance they got. And by every chance they got, I mean chanting it even more as the match went on. Here we are, the same event that Samoa Joe debuted at, Bryan Danielson won his ROH title, one of the most highly regarded shows in history in 2006 and a rare Misawa US weekend show. Yet, in the ROH title match, the fans would rather chant for twinkies. Unbelievable. Petey Williams attempts the Sharpshooter a few time and even locks in twice. However, Petey has a horrible sharpshooter. I thought it was Canadian law that to graduate high school, you have to be able to apply the sharpshooter properly. :>_>: It wouldn't be so bad if Petey didn't go for it so many times. Petey hits one Canadian Destroyer, but the two fights on the outside. Aries gets in and they tease Petey not getting in on time. He manages to at the 19 count. This is where another problem comes into play, the fans were actually telling Petey to stay down. That actually wanted the match to just end. So what is the logical thing to do? Do it all over again~! This time, Petey hits the top rope Canadian Destroyer. However, Aries falls out of the ring. Petey tries to pick a dead weight Aries up, but isn't able to get him in the ring. Aries surprises Petey with a brain buster to the floor to roll back in with just a couple of seconds to spare. Aries wins by count-out. There was only 3 times the crowd was into the match. 1) When Petey smartly asked if they wanted twinkies (Punches in the corner) and he even slowed down the punches so they could count '1 Twinkie...2 Twinkie'. 2) After the first Canadian Destroyer when they thought Petey could win. 3) The top rope Canadian Destroyer that got a couple 'Holy Shit' screams. The rest of the match, the fans didn't care about. There may have been some problems with the match (Both Aries and Petey), but the match was actually good. Had the fans actually cared about the match, the rating would be much better. Either stay away from New York for a bit or find a way to make them actually care. This type of thing can not continue if you want to be taken serious. 3 1/4 Stars.

Samoa Joe (c) vs AJ Styles - ROH World Title - War of the Wire
    The very first one-on-one match between Styles and Joe. AJ earned this shot by beating Bryan Danielson for the Number One Contender's Trophy. The previous night, he and Joe were unsuccessful against The Briscoe Brothers. Styles was already ROH tag team champion earlier in the year, so Styles has the chance of being the first ever wrestler to hold both of ROH's titles. The pair goes right at it, skipping any feeling out process. Styles hits a back breaker on his knee, but realizes it's probably not to do that to a guy who weighs 300 pounds. On the outside, Styles avoids an Ole Kick, but walks right into a brutal super kick. Back in, Joe works over Styles with a STF and a Crossface. At this point, Joe feels confident enough that he gets a little cocky. Styles uses his opportunity to surprise Joe with a Pele Kick. Styles catches Joe on the top rope and nails a power bomb followed by a Styles Clash. Joe kicks out though. Joe gets in an Island Driver, but Styles manages to kick out to the shock and dismay of Joe. Styles nails a discus lariat to nearly knock out Joe. AJ heads up to the top rope, but Joe catches him. Muscle Buster followed by the Coquina Clutch. Styles tries crawling to the ropes, so Joe pulls back on the choke. Styles is unable to move anymore and passes out. Joe wins by choke out. This isn't as good as some of the other great Joe matches in ROH as there's little build up to the match. However, the non-stop action makes this a very entertaining match. They managed to create a solid story of AJ being Joe's equal, but Joe makes the mistake of Styles hanging in there for dominance. That cockiness nearly costs Joe the title. I can't say I'm a huge AJ in ROH fan, but this was Styles performing at his TNA level. Ironically, while Styles fails to become the first tag/world champion in ROH, the man doing color commentating does accomplish that achievement. 3 3/4 Stars.

Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles - Time to Man Up
    This would be AJ's final ROH match. By this point, both men are just running on fumes in ROH. Joe was trying to stay busy with a Danielson feud, but there wasn't really anything for him to prove in ROH anymore. Not too surprising is that this is the point where TNA becomes his main focus. Styles attacks Joe right after the handshake. AJ means business. Joe takes a back breaker on the knee of AJ. Unlike in their last match, Styles doesn't show any pain. During most of the match, the commentators are talking about how this is AJ's final match due to having other commitments. Interestingly, they kind of imply that Styles is just too much money in 2006. Joe trips Styles up on the apron, causing him to land face first hard. This is a play off of their first match, but better since the first one occurred in the middle of the ring. Joe manages to hit the Ole Kick this time around. AJ really needs to learn to stay in the ring with Joe, going to the outside never turns out well for him. STF/Crossface/Ropes spot again. AJ is successful in hitting his moonsault turned into a reverse DDT spot that he failed to do in the previous match. Muscle Buster reversed into the Styles Clash gets AJ a 2 count. Joe slaps AJ around before locking in the standing Coquina Clutch. Styles tries fighting it, so Joe just drops him on his head with a suplex. Joe covers and gets the win to send Styles back to TNA. This is more of what I expect with Styles in ROH. He's not bad, but he isn't anything special. The match didn't have the excitement that War of the Wire had. Recycling so many spots hurts the match when you watch the pair back-to-back. By this point, Styles and Joe had wrestled each other so many times that they no longer had to put in too much effort to get a quality match. That's essentially what you have here, paint-by-numbers. AJ's final ROH match ends up being a lot like his ROH career. A lot of potential, but ends up being fairly unmemorable. 3 Stars.

WAKE UP

Status

I've heard good things about WOTW match (which I am now downloading).

And yeah the TTMU match is just an exhibition match if anything. They were just "doing stuff" as opposed to trying to put on a good match.

WAKE UP

Status

Danielson & Joe vs Ballard Bros - PWG Kee_ The _ee Out Of Our _ool

Man, wrestling lacks THIS. Really fun rookie punishment/extended squash match with two gloriously vicious assholes beating the snot out of shitty goobers. Danielson and Joe really didn't give a fuck and pounded and stretched the crap out of them for 10 minutes. Post-match was pretty ass, though.

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Danielson & Joe vs Ballard Bros - PWG Kee_ The _ee Out Of Our _ool

Man, wrestling lacks THIS. Really fun rookie punishment/extended squash match with two gloriously vicious assholes beating the snot out of shitty goobers. Danielson and Joe really didn't give a fuck and pounded and stretched the crap out of them for 10 minutes. Post-match was pretty ass, though.
    The ironic thing is that the Ballards are older, been in the business longer and were in PWG longer than Samoa Joe and Bryan Danielson.

WAKE UP

Status

Haha, they got shown up pretty bad. I'll give them credit, they did a good job being pussies and getting heat.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan_1986 View Post
    The HIAC is one of those matches that I enjoy, but I can easily understand why people hates it. When I reviewed Bad Blood 2004, I gave the match 3 1/2 stars. So I definitely don't feel as if it's a bad match. However, their goal of creating this epic match by making it so long ends up hurting it. Had they cut down the match a good twenty minutes, it would have been a MOTYC in my eyes. Sometimes less is more. For every time a pair of wrestlers decides that their match needs to be long to be great, I just think back to Ricky Steamboat vs Randy Savage. Hailed as a flawless match, yet it under 15 minutes long. I really wish Hunter and Michaels realized this.
    Oh I can easily understand why people dislike this match but it is just a match that I love to watch and can watch with no problem. I agree like hell that less is more but I felt everything served a purpose and entertained in a great way whether it was HHH beating the shit out of HBK or HBK's incredible comeback everything just worked for me. However, matches like Hero/Danielson from PWG find their way in that category where shorter is so much better. I would gladly pick their match in ROH over their long overrated(In My Opinion) match in PWG. Cutting it down is always a good deal but the HIAC between HHH/HBK doesn't find itself in that category for me anyway.

ROH - Roderick Strong vs. Kevin Steen at Clash of the Contenders
    This match was a pleasant surprise and caught me off guard like a muthafucka. Roderick or Steen probably got allot better because these two have had a okay matches in the past but this was great and probably one of the best openers I have seen. I say this is allot better than Roderick/Briscoe but a tad bit under the NRC/Resilience from Driven. The finish was allot different then I had expected but it was good. Reminds me of HHH/Hardy at No Mercy except after a Package Piledriver seems kinda weird. Gonna give it a rewatch but I'll give it ***3/4 for right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

ಠ_ಠ

Status

ROH - Bryan Danielson vs. Mike Quackenbush at Death Before Dishonor
    I have been feeling the urge to watch Danielson beating Quacks ass and this is straight up my alley. This match mostly focuses around Quack & Danielson being gifted as hell technical wrestlers until Quack fucks up and out wrestles the fuck out of Danielson. That pisses him and Danielson just fucks him up with forearm, knees, headbutts, kicks, and everything in the corner. I gotta say that I love Bald Danielson out of the fact he can be the funniest guy on the roster then SUPER PENIS!

Example of a funny guy is when he starts fucking with the crowd that is expecting him to do his "I have till 5" shit and he just pardons with the ref. "HEY! HEY! I have.....a completey legal wrestling hold" Example of a dick is when he knows he is in control and is being a TOTAL DICK like slapping Quack around while mocking him. I like the fact that they don't try to play Quack as a equal striker because when he does try to comeback with elbows an everything, Danielson just clips his leg and hammers him in the face. That move is so wrong but so right at the same time. Quack then makes a good comeback with completey weird yet effective offense.

The thing about Quack is I find him very overrated and annoying as fuck but this match he rubs off on me a little. Despite this being Chikara Legend vs. ROH Legend it is clear who is better as Danielson seems to prefect the little things in this match. Like when he applies Cattle, his arm has been worked on for a good part of this match and you can slowly see his grip breaking so it fully justifies him moving into a flash pin. Anyway, the match finally ends the right way with Danielson out thinking Quack by using his wrestling skill AND striking ability to finally put him away. Great match
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Player Dos (c) versus Frightmare - Young Lion's Cup Defense Number 2 - Optimistic View Of A Pessimistic World - October 2009

I was highly looking forward to this contest. People know I'm pretty big on the company of CHIKARA. They produced a lot of the best matches in 2009, and produced some of the best wrestlers in 2009, including these two young talents. This was definately Frightmare's best prolonged showing since joining the company. He really pushed the flow on wanting Player Dos to keep up the speed. I thought there may have been more off moments because it seemed like Dos was having somewhat of a difficult time. I loved Frightmare getting some good springboard spots in. The pace should have slowed down maybe just a bit after the first five minutes, because it felt like they were going to just rush everything in their set. But, I expected this from two unorthodox lightweights. Good showing and good respect after the match. Frightmare is such an obvious canidate for this years YLC

***1/2
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

The American Wolves vs Kevin Steen and El Generico - Ladder War II - Glory by Honor 8
    As someone who hated the first Ladder War, I wasn't too sure I would like this, despite my love of the Wolves. For the most part, I enjoyed this though. There was a lot more of a focus on selling, even in brief moments. The first five minutes of the original Ladder War with the two teams battling in the fans while throwing chairs at each other without selling a single one was too much for me. My favorite part of the match was Steen's early attack on Edwards by pulling at his mouth and biting his nose. It's a very simple and primitive attack, but it works. Some of the shots were weak looking and I noticed that both Edwards and Steen sell a chair shot badly. Despite being done so much in 2009, I dug Davey Richards' chained wrap boot kicks to Steen's head. The bumps were well done without being too insane. The finish of Edwards locking Generico in a single leg Boston Crab on the ladder while Richards pulled down the belt was a perfect ending. I have to give Edwards a lot of credit for going into the match with such a bad injury. It seemed appropriate that for one night, Edwards was the star of his team in the biggest match of their feud.

Now, it wasn't some MOTYC that such a major match should be. To be honest, I wouldn't even say it was their best match together. It seemed as if they just never got out of second gear to really make the match legendary. Maybe it's because of the injury to Edwards, but it felt like something was just missing. However, it's yet another good match for the Wolves in their fantastic year. 3 3/4 Stars.

Austin Aries (c) vs Davey Richards - ROH Title - Aries Vs. Richards
    I heard some MOTYC talk from this after the match happened. While it is a very good match, it's not quite good enough for a MOTYC. Since I am a fan of Richards style, I wouldn't say he was a negative aspect of the match at all unlike others may feel. If there was one negative aspect, it would be Aries. While his character has been improving greatly this year, his workrate has dropped. The main problem with Aries in the match is how weak a lot of his shots are. There's a good amount of time that it looks like he's barely even touching Richards. The highlight of the match would be the near countout near the end. The fans were practically begging Richards to make it back in the ring. The ending was perfect with Aries nearly knocking Richards out and keeping him in the Horns of Aries. It's a standout match from Aries' title reign, but I'd take most of his original ROH title reign defenses to this. 4 Stars.

Thread Information