Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Indy Match/Show Review Thread

Covered in Blood

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Re: Review the last wrestling match you watched

Super Dragon vs Kevin Steen may be the most retarded match I've ever seen, made even worse by that grating fucking crowd. PWG fans are faaaar worse than TNA fans.

What don't you like about the match?

What don't you like about the match?

Covered in Blood

Status

Just to clarify, it's their Guerrilla Warfare match that I'm talking about.

Brawling on the outside goes on for so long with little drama. Steen says "fuck this" and leaves and the camera stays on the locker room doorway for what seemed to be a decade. Steen suddenly reappears and introduces a BARBED WIRE TABLE, DESPITE TELLING THE CAMERA THAT THIS MATCH WASN'T WORTH DYING FOR BEFORE HE LEFT. His return from the locker room went entirely unexplained. Retarded bumps and unprotected chairshots, awful selling from Super Dragon, and a senseless finish. Super Dragon Psycho Drivered the fucker off an apron through a table and decides no, that's not badass enough, the finish needs tacks and barbed wire, even though the former was much more brutal and far more effective in putting an opponent away (the former knocks the guy briefly unconscious, the latter causes the opponent to sit up and do anything to get away from the sharp objects that are currently embedded their fucking skin). Also, what difference would an extra load of thumbtacks have when you just dump it on the same pile? Was the second load extra sharp?

I can't forget about the handcuffs, either. What's the point in using them when your opponent hasn't been blocking any of your weapon shots? It would have worked if Steen had squirmed out of multiple Psycho Driver attempts during the match, causing Dragon to utilize them so he could finally put Steen away with his deadly finishing move, but that obviously wasn't the case. It just resulted in an unprotected chairshot and Steen landing horribly on his head and shoulder.

And the fans. Dear god, the fans.

Only thing that could have made this worse was if the commentary track was on.

WAKE UP

Status

I thought the SD vs Steen matches felt like mindless violence with an emphasis on the mindless. I like plenty of hardcore and stiff matches, but I don't think they had much more going for them other than that. They didn't lend themselves well to the bloated PWG style IMO.

Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher - IWA-MS - Something to Prove
    First off, is this how Dave Prazak sounds in most IWA shows? His voice is so annoying and the full commentating team with Punk and Kingston makes for one of the worst commentating I've ever heard. It sounds like three friends watching the match at home and talking about it. I know if I had the DVD, I would be cursing SMV for not having dual audios for any of their DVD's. Getting that out of the way, the atmosphere was great. The crowd was really into it and it felt like a big deal for the ECW arena. I felt Samoa Joe was his typical great self that he was years ago. I particularly liked how he looked at his hands in disbelief that he couldn't pin Necro. As for Necro (It always looks so weird when I see a match of his where he's wearing boots), he really just reinforced my belief that he's an one trick pony. The guy takes a lot of punishment, bleeds and just keeps going. While I loved Joe's slaps, I though Necro's punches looked like shit. I can see why he'd appeal to some people just as New Jack did in the past, but I think he's pretty horrible. 2 1/2 Stars.

Low-Ki vs Necro Butcher - IWA-MS - We're No Joke
    Once again, horrible commentary, although not as bad as the last match. I LOVED the start with all of the streamers being thrown in. I'm a mark for streamers. A no blood Necro match, that gets some points for me for trying to create a different story. Like in the Danielson PWG match, Necro tries that stupid walking body slam on a chair that results in losing grip of the chair and Ki ends up falling on the ground. Why does Necro even walk with it? Awkward spot in the ring with Ki going for his springboard spinning kick, only to get punched by Necro. It's awkward since Ki didn't even try getting his leg up, he just jumped at Necro. It reminds me of the top rope spot where the wrestler on the mat gets the boot up and the wrestler jumping off of the top rope lands on his feet, taking the boot. At least make it clear you're trying to hit a move instead of setting up your opponent to hit the surprise strike. I had a little laugh at the midget table. I did like how they kept teasing that it was going to be used. Like in the Super Dragon match, Necro isn't strong enough to support Ki in a potential table bump, and it comes off looking very awkward as Ki gets out of it. While the huge table bump at the end was predictable, it was a nice sight. I have to question why they had Necro kick out of it only to pass out a few moments later. It took steam out of the ending. Although, I suppose it sets up a rematch with Necro never submitting or being pinned by Ki. Overall, the match dragged on some and didn't have the feel that some of Necro's other big matches had (It did at first though). It's weak for a Ki match, but one of the better Necro matches I've seen, not that that's saying much. The streamers were awesome though. 3 Stars.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

The whole point is that Steen didn't really have much left after Dragon kicked out of his Package Piledriver(Which is his ace in the hole) and thought it would be time to call it quits since there was possibly no way to end it after that. He realizes that he HAS to put away Dragon for good because if it doesn't end here, it'll never will. Let's not forget that Steen HATES Dragon and even said that he wanted to kill him. Do you think he is just going to leave when, if there was ever a chance, this is the time to finally put the masked man behind him for good. Steen brings out a fucking BARBWIRE board to make sure this feud comes to a end and plans on killing Dragon just like he said he would. SMART storytelling and gave time for Dragon to recover instead of just making a miraculous unbelievably comeback.

The point of bringing handcuffs is so that Steen will be vulnerable and just free victim to whatever he wanted. Sure he could of pinned him but Super Dragon wanted REVENGE. Not just a win but REVENGE. There was no way Steen was going to come back after that Driver on the floor and Dragon sealed the deal by cuffing his hands which also made Steen his bitch for however long he felt like. It totally went with Dragon's character of being a asshole and something that most people would do if given the chance. He was put through hell the last couple of months with Steen mental(Steen getting his friends to turn on him) and physical attacks and fracturing Steen's skull was just simply not enough. The spot where Dragon is standing over him with a chair, Steen telling him to go fuck himself three ways from sunday by spitting in his face, and for Dragon to fuck his shit up with that chair was some inspiring shit.

Best match in PWG history if you ask me.

By the way Jim, I think your rating on Joe/Necro is criminal but I'd lower my rating on Necro /Ki. Those matches bored the fuck out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

Covered in Blood

Status

If the your first paragraph was what they were aiming for, then it never reached me. Maybe it would have worked if Steen was hesitating while he was going to the back or something, but he just goes up the stairs and comes back as if nothing really happened. I guess it's just a matter of execution because what could have been "Wow, that was a nice idea to have Steen reconsider going through with this" became "OKAY, WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?"

As for your second paragraph, I agree that maybe I went a bit overboard with the stuff involving the Psycho Drivers. Still agree with some of the things I said regarding it, but overall, I made a bigger deal out of it than it actually was.

Also...

The point of bringing handcuffs is so that Steen will be vulnerable and just free victim to whatever he wanted.
    ...I just can't agree with this. If Steen had controlled most of the match, blocked and evaded most of Dragon's offense (and the Psycho Driver in particular), and/or kicked out of everything Dragon threw at him then I could understand it. But that wasn't the way they told the match, at least in my eyes. They were throwing caution to the wind in a knock down, drag out slobberknocker where they decided being on the offensive outweighed losing a handful of braincells.

Since I'm not too big a fan of death matches and stiffness, the storytelling and execution has to be spot on for me or else I'll just roll my eyes which is what I was doing constantly through the match. Just small mistakes here and there like the ones I mentioned completely dragged down the match for me.
    Last edited by Crest Fall; 05-28-2010 at 03:02 AM.

WAKE UP

Status

I give up on ya'll. Necro's matches are often based around his ability to withstand punishment but I wouldn't call him that repetitive.

And Prazak always sounds like a douche on commentary for IWA.

Covered in Blood

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I give up on ya'll. Necro's matches are often based around his ability to withstand punishment but I wouldn't call him that repetitive.

And Prazak always sounds like a douche on commentary for IWA.
    Don't group me with 'em!

I love me some Necro. I think his "sloppy punches and bumps" are a good thing.

God

Status

Neil Diamond Cutter vs Marcus Crane - IWA-MS Prince of the Deathmatch 2010

This was the match that made the show worth watching. Four very poor first round matches, two average semi final matches and then a really good final with two of the smallest guys on the roster. The fact that the rest of the matches were so bad may have made this seem better than it actually was but I enjoyed it more than any of the other matches on the card (Including Sabu vs Younger which was the only marketable match). Barbed wire ropes and Ultimate X combined here but instead of the red cables TNA use, they used more barbed wire meaning it was technically a ladder match in which you only needed to climb to the second rung to reach the contract. Whoever came up with adding the Ultimate X part obviouslly didnt account for it being unusable bar a big spot at the end. For all those problems and have thought out idea's, the two guys invovled put on a good show in the preview for King of the Deathmatch in June. **
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Brick Shithouse

Status

Takeshi Morishima vs. Bryan Danielson - ROH World Title Match: Manhatten Mayhem II, 2007

Firstly, this has a proper big match feel. Morishima rejects a handshake - and the beginning sees Danielson kicking at Morishima, and it's a very good start. Morishima has great strikes in this match, he clearly just wants to beat the crap out of Danielson - he also works very stiffly. Danielson works a great style in the early goings, using his quickness and just trying to bring Morishima down. Morishima eventually blocks a kick and just beats the holy hell out of Danielson, and ends up legitimately injuring Danielson's eye. And this just adds to the intrigue and makes it much more impressive what Danielson goes through.

Morishima looks like an absolute beast when in control, his strikes look amazing, and Danielson trying to squirm away from Morishima is a great spot, but again Morishima just beats the holy shit out of him again. The amount of shots to the head Danielson takes after the eye injury is just crazy. Morishima hits an ole ole kick and Danielson is visibly crying at this point but still does a springboard cross body into Morishima into the crowd. He's got so much balls to even try that.

Danielson gets in control again and continues to work at the legs of Morishima, but just can't put Morishima down for any substantial amount of time. Even after hitting a missile dropkick, Morishima just stands there and proceeds to kill Danielson with a lariat. It's just great storytelling, with Danielson hitting about seven strikes in a row but Morishima just hits him once and Danielson goes down. Danielson manages a German Suplex, then the elbows but Morishima just powers up - but finally the leg buckles and Morishima goes down after all the leg work. The roar from the crowd tells you that they know that's a big deal and great storytelling, and Danielson locks in Cattle Mutilation. The entire crowd bought that as the finish, but Morishima ends up getting out and DESTROYING Danielson with one of the sickest lariats you'll ever see and the backdrop driver for the win.

Final Thoughts:

This is my 2007 match of the year. An amazing effort from both men. One of the best big man/little man matches I've ever seen, made even more amazing by the injuries that Danielson went through in that match. Fantastic psychology by both men, with Danielson just trying to pluck down Morishima while Morishima just swats him away. Fantastic selling throughout and a fantastic match.

God

Status

Bryan Danielson vs. Alex Shelley - ROH World Title - 2006-03-18

Danielson was just about six months into his title reign while Alex Shelley was next in line for a shot and representing the Embassy (remember when they were a good stable?). The only negative thing I have to say about this match is I have no idea who was supposed to be the babyface and who was supposed to be the heel. To start, Danielson cuts a heel promo, Shelley then tops him but cutting an even more heel-like promo and several small mini-promos before the match gets going properly. Both men do babyface and heel antics throughout the match to make sure you dont figure it out. I hadent seen this match since 2006 and had forgotten how good it was. It's a shame Shelley never got a world title reign but he never had a chance with Danielson on top. I think he simply peaked at the wrong time. A few years later and he would have left with the title imo. ****
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    [B]It's a shame Shelley never got a world title reign but he never had a chance with Danielson on top. I think he simply peaked at the wrong time. A few years later and he would have left with the title imo. ****
    To be honest, I think had Austin Aries not had such amazing matches with Danielson in 2004, Shelley could have easily been the one to defeat Joe for the belt. Both guys were gunning for the title to help legitimize the Generation Next stable.

God

Status

Bryan Danielson vs Samoa Joe - ROH World title August 6th 2006

Near the end of Danielson's reign as champion and only a week or so before the unifcation match with Nigel, Danielson went against Joe in a sixty minute time limit draw. Normally, I hate time limit draws as it always seems like a cheap way to keep both men looking good but this one really worked. Joe had the match won and if he had another 60 seconds, he would have left with the title but ran out of time. Joe, and pretty much everyone in the arena, wanted five more minutes, but Danielson took his title and left. Danielson played a great heel throughout the match. At the start when Joe was getting on top, Danielson would continually jump out of the ring and take a break before refusing to break until four when Joe was in the ropes, using a steel chair on Joe's previously injured knee and even using Joe's Ole kick on the outside. I was a little hesistant to watch the match again (first time since 2006/7) because 60 minutes is a long time, but it flies in. ****1/4.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

WAKE UP

Status

Quackenbush/Jigsaw vs The Young Bucks - KOT 2010

Someone should tell the Young Bucks that Petey Williams called and he wants his "most convoluted offence" trophy back. Holy fuck. Superkick/Canadian Destroyer combo and corner powerbomb on the knees can suck my dick. Indy wrestling needs superkicks and leg-slapping like Africa needs AIDs. Quack's chops actually looked pretty good here and he hit a nice dive early on but this was a brain-numbing MOVEZ/spotfest. Number of superkicks and nearfalls =/= match quality.

Eddie Kingston vs Christopher Daniels - KOT 2010

One of the worst Kingston matches I think I have ever seen. King seemed lazy and his chops looked comparable to Fire Ant's (i.e. weak). Daniels was on offence for most of the match and it was 90% choking, stalling and holding Kingston's neck. There was literally nothing about this that I enjoyed. I got love for Eddie, but he shouldn't work matches evenly. He either needs to be an underdog or an overdog (is that a word?).

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Quackenbush/Jigsaw vs The Young Bucks - KOT 2010

Someone should tell the Young Bucks that Petey Williams called and he wants his "most convoluted offence" trophy back. Holy fuck. Superkick/Canadian Destroyer combo and corner powerbomb on the knees can suck my dick. Indy wrestling needs superkicks and leg-slapping like Africa needs AIDs. Quack's chops actually looked pretty good here and he hit a nice dive early on but this was a brain-numbing MOVEZ/spotfest. Number of superkicks and nearfalls =/= match quality.

Eddie Kingston vs Christopher Daniels - KOT 2010

One of the worst Kingston matches I think I have ever seen. King seemed lazy and his chops looked comparable to Fire Ant's (i.e. weak). Daniels was on offence for most of the match and it was 90% choking, stalling and holding Kingston's neck. There was literally nothing about this that I enjoyed. I got love for Eddie, but he shouldn't work matches evenly. He either needs to be an underdog or an overdog (is that a word?).
    I had a gut feeling that this match wouldn't have worked.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

Kingston is still as charismatic as ever, so I can enjoy him on some level, even in mediocre matches. But the last year or so he has stopped putting as much physical and mental effort into his matches as he did. And like I say he is working too evenly with guys when he is really at his best either as an underdog or a bully.

Also Daniels is still bland.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Well, Kingston also isn't that healthy, let alone never had the built to put in a lot of effort unless the situation called for it.

I actually did want to check out some of Daniel's stuff from KoT, but I have a feeling I'd be kind of frustrated.

I actually heard that a lot of KoT matches like Kingston and Daniels, or Ophidian and Cross (these indy "dream matches") were highly anticipated, but provided no chemistry between the competitors.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Thread Information