Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: The Indy Match/Show Review Thread

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: The Indy Match/Show Review Thread

Chuck O'Neil's a wrestler too? what the fuck, are all the TUF/UFC jobbers just becoming pro wrestlers now? Or was he always a pro wrestler? or am I just confused as fuck and they are two separate people?

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    Chuck O'Neil's a wrestler too? what the fuck, are all the TUF/UFC jobbers just becoming pro wrestlers now? Or was he always a pro wrestler? or am I just confused as fuck and they are two separate people?
    He's been wrestling/training for at least 3 years now. Another MMA guy is with him too but I think he had even less of a name.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    What Dook said but he doesn't seem to be booked anywhere near as nicely as Riddle (a 90 second beatdown of Dan Barry aside).

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cage View Post
    What Dook said but he doesn't seem to be booked anywhere near as nicely as Riddle (a 90 second beatdown of Dan Barry aside).
    He isn't nearly as good, but that isn't a diss at him. Riddle has the Angle effect of rapid growth. Dijak had a similar quick ascension. Some guys just take awhile.

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Gresham's been in evolve, he worked a six man against Catchpoint in the summer. He's someone I can see Gabe booking more often in the future. I like him a lot, probably most underrated indie worker, had some bangers with Lio Rush in ROH.

Starr's doing really well in wXw and was announced for the 16 carat this week so I think he's one to keep an eye on in 2017.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dook The Dumpster Droese View Post
    He's been wrestling/training for at least 3 years now. Another MMA guy is with him too but I think he had even less of a name.
    saw the name Eric Spicely pop up?

Another TUF loser ... admittedly someone currently in the UFC who has some sign of promise though.

Pretty surprising.

Nice review Jon. Deonna is coming to Stardom in January iirc. Hopefully you get to see more of her before then but eh, i doubt it. Disappointing showing here from the looks of it but she's been ok from what I've seen. Would have been pretty nice to see Kimber Lee do a tour of Japan with a Joshi promotion (probably Stardom since the others aren't massive on gaijin it seems) but alas, hasn't happened. She's solid.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

There we go, yeah, its Eric Spicely.

Spoiler:

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Going to watch the wXw 16th Anniversary show now but I unfortunately already know two of the results, oh well. Should still be a fun show, I think.

Gresham is perfect for EVOLVE, dude should definitely be a regular fixture and

Spoiler:

Would make way more sense as a Catch Point member than Jaka & Dickinson who don't at all wrestle with the Catch Point philosophy, at least not Dickenson. Hopefully there's an evolution of there's styles now that they're in Catch Point.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

wXw 16th Anniversary Show - Review:

First wXw show I've watched or even match(es). I know two of the results, that being the Shotgun title match (because the winner pops up on Beyond's Over-nite Sensation event which happened the day after) and the main event.

There's a nice intro where some guy reflects on wXw, the first show where I'm presuming Cesaro was because he gets a mention, and how they put on more shows each year. This is all in German so just inferring of course. There's a hype video that follows for the main event triple threat, the tag sub-main and then another for the opener Alpha Kevin vs. Marius van Beethoven. They were partners until Marius turned on Alpha, so now Alpha finally gets a match with Marius.

Alpha Kevin vs. Marius van Beethoven:
    First time hearing and seeing these two guys. The entrances don't get shown fully so it looks like its still part of the opening video package But the hype picture in the background tells me this is the actual event. "Pussy" chant when Marius refuses to go in, I can at least understand that e_e I think there's also a "Power Ranger" chant for Marius's outfit but I could be mishearing Commentary starts when the bell rings and its an english. The start of this is fun with Kevin not letting himself get outsmarted instead of being typically blind & angry, when Marius runs around the ring and slides in to take advantage of Kevin's chase, Kevin slides right back out before Marius can take advantage. And when Marius goes to the ropes so ref can break it up, Kevin takes the ref aside then wails at him. Marius has enough and goes up the ramp, fans start counting him out but the ref just tries to keep Kevin at bay while Marius talks. Marius says hes not finishing the match, Kevin runs after him, ref runs after Kevin and they disappear backstage... until Kevin brings him back. Marius really buys into his own arrogance and anytime he gains leverage, has to gloat or talk while Kevin, despite being the agitated brawler, is patient, and clever in terms of baiting Marius. The finish is a bit off, Kevin goes for a Package Piledriver but Marius breaks out of it, he goes for an Eat Defeat that Kevin blocks/no sells, and then gets powerslammed... and it's over. In a world where moves like Piledrivers get no sold, to see a match end with a powerslam is odd. **1/2 I did like Alpha Kevin subverting expectations and not getting blinded by his anger. Marius gets his just desserts but feels like Kevin should've just won with the Package Piledriver, that would've looked like more fitting vengeance.

Marius comes back after the match to take out Alpha Kevin with a chair (including an unprotected chair shot to the head). Mella, Kevin's girlfriend or wife, tries to stop him, but she gets knocked out. He wraps the chair around his leg and hits a top rope double stomp on it. The commentator stumbles over himself first saying he shatter his ankle, then noticing Kevin is holding his knee, corrects himself. Marius locks in a leg lock, which the announce first calls a knee bar after correcting himself (tbh I wouldn't know the difference so I can't judge). Security gets Marius off him. If Marius took the pinfall of the powerslam to do this, then the finish makes a lot more sense. Marius gets nice heat as he heads to the back.

Chris Colen vs. Emil Sitoci:
    Heard of Sitoci before thanks to Natty's Greater Europe and his presence in TEW Real World mods. This match was largely boring to start with neither man being too exciting in control. Though Chris Colen's deadlifting Sitoci over the ropes for a suplex looked nice. The last two minutes ramped up with Sitoci hitting his Brokeback Mountain move (fireman's carry tossed on his kneeling leg) and following it up with a split-legged moonsault. Colen kicks out. Sitoci goes for a springboard but gets caught mid-flight and german suplexed. Colin climbs the ropes but Sitoci meets him there and in the best spot of the match, hits the Spanish Fly (C4). Now, a regular Spanish Fly looks insane but it looks fucking great from the top rope. Deserved 'holy shit' chant follows. Still, Colen kicks out, he manages to hit a Sambo Suplex and then follow it up with a Double Underhook Facebuster. **1/2 I liked the last minute but boring aside from that.

John Klinger vs. Ilja Dragunov - Street Fight: There's a hype video for this one but I couldn't follow the story aside from Ilja and his crew terrorizing John Klinger. Never heard of or seen either man. This is a street fight so I expect some shenanigans with Dragunov's crew, Cerberus. Commentator clarifies the story. John hates the people Ilja hangs around with, pill poppers and he doesn't want that in his locker room but since Ilja won't listen, he'll beat some sense into him. This is a pretty hard hitting hardcore match with a pair of tables (only one gets used), a ton of chairs, and a couple of kendo sticks in action. When it comes to this sort of stuff, it usually gets down to what unique spots you can do with them. The best spot here comes when Ilja goes for a coast to coast and John Klinger jumps up to him with a Codebreaker and busts open Ilja though the announcer doesnt notice or doesnt comment on being busted open till Ilja gets tossed into the table. Ilja tries about two-three times to put John Klinger through the table but the table wont break so the commentator does his job and puts over the table Klinger ultimately wins with a Sitout Pumphandle Powerbomb to finally put down a super resilient Ilja Dragunov. *** Solid street fight. Pleasantly surprised to not see any interference.

Ilja, still struggling on the mat, tells Klinger to come on but Klinger hands him a chair and Ilja struggles to his feet using the chair. Klinger offers him a fist and Ilja pounds it. Klinger is satisfied and leaves. Ilja had some crowd level throughout the match and even now after the fact as he has a hard time staying on his feet. Adam Pollock (is that how you spell it, leader of Cerberus) comes out with a Cerberus crony to yell at Ilja. Ilja knocks down the crony and Julian Nero, Ilja's tag partner and another Cerberus member, comes out, Pollock has to stop Julian from getting into a brawl. Robert Dreissker, a big HOSS, makes his return to wXw, Ilja and Adam/Julian don't know what he'll do... and he takes out Ilja to reveal a Cerberus shirt. Guess thats Ilja turning face. Ilja gets back up to exchange forearms with Robert, he takes out the crony again, keeps fighting through the numbers game but Robert eventually subdues him. My question is, Bad Bones John Klinger wanted Ilja out of it, the fuck did he not come back to help out for?

Da Mack vs. Chris Brookes (c) vs. David Starr vs. Pete Dunne for the wXw Shotgun title:
    I believe I've seen Da Mack's name before. Never heard of Chris Brookes. Pete Dunne's name is gaining traffic here, and I saw him back at High Stakes for RevPro earlier in the year. David Starr wins this match, I know that because he shows on Beyond Over-nite sensation the next day IRL to defend against AR Fox. He won me over so I'll be happy to see him and Dunne in action here. Chris Brookes gets a triangle choke on David Starr at some point, Mack shrugs and gets a triangle choke on Brookes, Dunne knows he has to continue the trend and we've got the Human Centipede of Triangle Chokes. Starr squirms out and turns the human centipede over to put Brookes in a Boston Crab. And in a moment more disgusting than anything from the Street Fight earlier, Brookes and Dunne bite Starr's hands and then give him double wet willy. Filthy. Dunne & Brookes are pairing up throughout so Starr & Mack start pairing up to including Starr acting as a trampoline so Mack can fly over the rope and take out Dunne. I was expecting standard clash of common goals between Dunne/Brookes but Dunne is more than willing to help Brookes retain his belt. David Starr's chop/elbow is great to watch and his flurry of suicide dives are awesome. A lot of the 2 v 1 situations here are just fun in general but I think David Starr's easily the... star of this match. His Cherry Mint DDT, the rolling elbow, and the Product Placement (which is sort of an arm trapped German Suplex) all look good. He wins after hitting the latter two on Chris Brookes. ***3/4

Starr is going to have a great 2017. He's got the look (he must maintain the beard), moveset, crowd appreciation, and charisma. The crowd and David are singing after the match and they break out into a "DAVID" chant. He gets a random "what" from a fan and replies with "don't what me, come on, you can hear me, I'm a great speaker" doesn't come across condescending at all too. They reply with a "yes you are" chant. Smarky fan says "what" again after he starts so the rest of the fans start a "shut the fuck up" chant. He promises to win 16 Carat Gold <3 I would love it if you did. "16 Carat" chant. They love him. I love him, too.

A4 (Absolute Andy & Marius Al-Ani) (c) vs. Ringkampf (Axel Dieter Jr. & WALTER) for the wXw World Tag Team titles - Two Out Of Three Falls: I haven't heard of anyone here but Big Van Walter and Ed tells me I'll love WALTER. Carson Beck (may be typing the name wrong), the Director of Sports at wXw also loses his job if Ringkampf win. Christian Jakobi is the guy trying to get Carson outed, he did the intro for the show earlier. Sitoci joins commentary but you cant hear him so commentator is having a one sided conversation. Between all four men, Axel Dieter Jr. actually impresses me the most. I love his confident demeanor, his uppercuts are great, and they really play up his resiliency surviving two Sharpshooters. The second Sharpshooter in particular, he has to wait for WALTER to save him but Marius Al-Ani runs lookout and gets WALTER into a crossface so WALTER has to break out of that crossface, lift Al-Ani up and slam him into Absolute Andy to finally break up the submission. WALTER still looks good, particularly when he's swatting people in mid-air or tossing them around but he does not have as intimidating a feel as I would've liked. Interesting first fall where both teams are down after Al-Ani gets tossed into Absolute Andy so the referee gives both teams one fall for it. Never seen that before, and not a bad way to do it. Both teams look good so now it becomes first team to a fall to get the win. WALTER doesn't feel like a very intimidating man, he gets lifted up pretty easily by Andy & Al-Ani, though he struggles at first, manages to do the same as well. The second fall sort of loses me because the ref stops really caring about keeping any order and lets the illegal man stick around for lengthy periods of time and just sits back and watches. Feels like he forgot he's even the ref when he starts bouncing his head to the rhythm of Absolute Andy's Sweet Chin Music prep. Christian Jakobi comes in and Carson Beck follows to knock him out. WALTER gets hit with Al-Ani's death valley driver and then a frog splash and A4 wins to retain the belt and keep Carson's job. ***1/4 I'm disappointed in the way WALTER looks because I was expecting a dominant HOSS which he wasn't really made to look like. And after the first fall, the excitement faded for me with lengthy set ups for the tag moves and A4 just having no impact on me. The commentator's one sided convo with Emil Sitoci and his overrating the match did not help. Axel Dieter Jr. is cool though, I'd like to see more of him. WALTER needs to be protected more.

Jurn Simmons (c) vs. Adam Cole vs. Marty Scurll for the wXw Unified World Wrestling title:
    Evidently know Adam Cole (though I can't remember any memorable match I've seen of his ) and that Marty Scurll vs. Will Ospreay match vs. High Stakes is the only Scurll match I've seen and it was great. I've never heard of Jurn Simmons but victories over John Klinger, Jeff Jarrett, ZSJ, Paul London, Mike Bailey, and David Starr <3 give him pedigree. Jurn Simmons gets insta-points for his entrance gyrating dance. They fixed Emil's mic for this. All three of these guys are natural cheaters which adds a fun layer to the match and Adam Cole & Marty Scurll have a few in-ring similarities that they play on throughout. Unfortunately, there are very few instances where all three are in so it's mostly a bunch of singles matches throughout. Scurll gets lightly busted open early headbutting Simmons while trying to superplex him. Superkick party is included as you might expect with Scurll and Cole exchanging superkicks a few times throughout. At one point Simmons gets handed his title but Cole steals it, Scurll gets his umbrella and they beat the shit out of Simmons with it. Simmons gets permanently taken out of the match when Cole superkicks him out of it. Scurll gets hit with three straight superkicks but refuses to sit down and snaps Cole's fingers (everyone, ref included, cringing) and then turns Cole's O'Connor roll into the Crossface Chickenwing, hammering at Cole with his legs to force the tap and win the title. ****

Christian Michael Jakobi comes out to congratulate Scurll and tell him he has to defend the title. And it's against my boy Axel Dieter Jr. who attacks him from behind!

Marty Scurll (c) vs. Axel Dieter Jr. for the wXw Unified World Wrestling title: Kryptonite Krunch! Uppercut! Marty kicks out and snaps Axel's fingers. But instead of capitalizing he tries to get the Crossface Chickenwing on Christian Michael Jakobi. Dieter Jr. recovers and after a 2 count roll-up, hits the Chickenwing on Marty Scurll! Marty tries to fight it but he passes out. We have a new champion! Dieter Jr. is so happy and elated and I'm happy for him <3 ref reluctantly gives Jakobi the title who wraps it around Dieter Jr. I'm actually happy with this finish. The main guy that won me over in the night walks away with the title, what's not to like. SQUASH

Axel Dieter JR. won me over. Jurn Simmons sort of faded in the main event. And the fatal four way title match was really fun. Solid show overall but I can't say any wXw guy won me over aside from Ringkampf (and mostly Dieter Jr. at that).

[Rock Me Amadeus]

Status
      Country                    Germany

Decided to check out my first Cody Indy match last night, the one from EVOLVE against Chris Hero.

Decent enough, but you couldn't help feel Hero was working down to Cody's level rather than bringing Cody up to his. I know there's gonna be a transition period for him so hopefully it improves, but this wasn't the best advert for Cody post WWE. If the best NA wrestler of 2016 can't get you to a great match I'd be concerned.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Sweet Meat

Status

wXw 16th Anniversary Show - Review:

First wXw show I've watched or even match(es). I know two of the results, that being the Shotgun title match (because the winner pops up on Beyond's Over-nite Sensation event which happened the day after) and the main event.

There's a nice intro where some guy reflects on wXw, the first show where I'm presuming Cesaro was because he gets a mention, and how they put on more shows each year. This is all in German so just inferring of course. There's a hype video that follows for the main event triple threat, the tag sub-main and then another for the opener Alpha Kevin vs. Marius van Beethoven. They were partners until Marius turned on Alpha, so now Alpha finally gets a match with Marius.

Alpha Kevin vs. Marius van Beethoven:
    First time hearing and seeing these two guys. The entrances don't get shown fully so it looks like its still part of the opening video package But the hype picture in the background tells me this is the actual event. "Pussy" chant when Marius refuses to go in, I can at least understand that e_e I think there's also a "Power Ranger" chant for Marius's outfit but I could be mishearing Commentary starts when the bell rings and its an english. The start of this is fun with Kevin not letting himself get outsmarted instead of being typically blind & angry, when Marius runs around the ring and slides in to take advantage of Kevin's chase, Kevin slides right back out before Marius can take advantage. And when Marius goes to the ropes so ref can break it up, Kevin takes the ref aside then wails at him. Marius has enough and goes up the ramp, fans start counting him out but the ref just tries to keep Kevin at bay while Marius talks. Marius says hes not finishing the match, Kevin runs after him, ref runs after Kevin and they disappear backstage... until Kevin brings him back. Marius really buys into his own arrogance and anytime he gains leverage, has to gloat or talk while Kevin, despite being the agitated brawler, is patient, and clever in terms of baiting Marius. The finish is a bit off, Kevin goes for a Package Piledriver but Marius breaks out of it, he goes for an Eat Defeat that Kevin blocks/no sells, and then gets powerslammed... and it's over. In a world where moves like Piledrivers get no sold, to see a match end with a powerslam is odd. **1/2 I did like Alpha Kevin subverting expectations and not getting blinded by his anger. Marius gets his just desserts but feels like Kevin should've just won with the Package Piledriver, that would've looked like more fitting vengeance.

Marius comes back after the match to take out Alpha Kevin with a chair (including an unprotected chair shot to the head). Mella, Kevin's girlfriend or wife, tries to stop him, but she gets knocked out. He wraps the chair around his leg and hits a top rope double stomp on it. The commentator stumbles over himself first saying he shatter his ankle, then noticing Kevin is holding his knee, corrects himself. Marius locks in a leg lock, which the announce first calls a knee bar after correcting himself (tbh I wouldn't know the difference so I can't judge). Security gets Marius off him. If Marius took the pinfall of the powerslam to do this, then the finish makes a lot more sense. Marius gets nice heat as he heads to the back.

Chris Colen vs. Emil Sitoci:
    Heard of Sitoci before thanks to Natty's Greater Europe and his presence in TEW Real World mods. This match was largely boring to start with neither man being too exciting in control. Though Chris Colen's deadlifting Sitoci over the ropes for a suplex looked nice. The last two minutes ramped up with Sitoci hitting his Brokeback Mountain move (fireman's carry tossed on his kneeling leg) and following it up with a split-legged moonsault. Colen kicks out. Sitoci goes for a springboard but gets caught mid-flight and german suplexed. Colin climbs the ropes but Sitoci meets him there and in the best spot of the match, hits the Spanish Fly (C4). Now, a regular Spanish Fly looks insane but it looks fucking great from the top rope. Deserved 'holy shit' chant follows. Still, Colen kicks out, he manages to hit a Sambo Suplex and then follow it up with a Double Underhook Facebuster. **1/2 I liked the last minute but boring aside from that.

John Klinger vs. Ilja Dragunov - Street Fight: There's a hype video for this one but I couldn't follow the story aside from Ilja and his crew terrorizing John Klinger. Never heard of or seen either man. This is a street fight so I expect some shenanigans with Dragunov's crew, Cerberus. Commentator clarifies the story. John hates the people Ilja hangs around with, pill poppers and he doesn't want that in his locker room but since Ilja won't listen, he'll beat some sense into him. This is a pretty hard hitting hardcore match with a pair of tables (only one gets used), a ton of chairs, and a couple of kendo sticks in action. When it comes to this sort of stuff, it usually gets down to what unique spots you can do with them. The best spot here comes when Ilja goes for a coast to coast and John Klinger jumps up to him with a Codebreaker and busts open Ilja though the announcer doesnt notice or doesnt comment on being busted open till Ilja gets tossed into the table. Ilja tries about two-three times to put John Klinger through the table but the table wont break so the commentator does his job and puts over the table Klinger ultimately wins with a Sitout Pumphandle Powerbomb to finally put down a super resilient Ilja Dragunov. *** Solid street fight. Pleasantly surprised to not see any interference.

Ilja, still struggling on the mat, tells Klinger to come on but Klinger hands him a chair and Ilja struggles to his feet using the chair. Klinger offers him a fist and Ilja pounds it. Klinger is satisfied and leaves. Ilja had some crowd level throughout the match and even now after the fact as he has a hard time staying on his feet. Adam Pollock (is that how you spell it, leader of Cerberus) comes out with a Cerberus crony to yell at Ilja. Ilja knocks down the crony and Julian Nero, Ilja's tag partner and another Cerberus member, comes out, Pollock has to stop Julian from getting into a brawl. Robert Dreissker, a big HOSS, makes his return to wXw, Ilja and Adam/Julian don't know what he'll do... and he takes out Ilja to reveal a Cerberus shirt. Guess thats Ilja turning face. Ilja gets back up to exchange forearms with Robert, he takes out the crony again, keeps fighting through the numbers game but Robert eventually subdues him. My question is, Bad Bones John Klinger wanted Ilja out of it, the fuck did he not come back to help out for?

Da Mack vs. Chris Brookes (c) vs. David Starr vs. Pete Dunne for the wXw Shotgun title:
    I believe I've seen Da Mack's name before. Never heard of Chris Brookes. Pete Dunne's name is gaining traffic here, and I saw him back at High Stakes for RevPro earlier in the year. David Starr wins this match, I know that because he shows on Beyond Over-nite sensation the next day IRL to defend against AR Fox. He won me over so I'll be happy to see him and Dunne in action here. Chris Brookes gets a triangle choke on David Starr at some point, Mack shrugs and gets a triangle choke on Brookes, Dunne knows he has to continue the trend and we've got the Human Centipede of Triangle Chokes. Starr squirms out and turns the human centipede over to put Brookes in a Boston Crab. And in a moment more disgusting than anything from the Street Fight earlier, Brookes and Dunne bite Starr's hands and then give him double wet willy. Filthy. Dunne & Brookes are pairing up throughout so Starr & Mack start pairing up to including Starr acting as a trampoline so Mack can fly over the rope and take out Dunne. I was expecting standard clash of common goals between Dunne/Brookes but Dunne is more than willing to help Brookes retain his belt. David Starr's chop/elbow is great to watch and his flurry of suicide dives are awesome. A lot of the 2 v 1 situations here are just fun in general but I think David Starr's easily the... star of this match. His Cherry Mint DDT, the rolling elbow, and the Product Placement (which is sort of an arm trapped German Suplex) all look good. He wins after hitting the latter two on Chris Brookes. ***3/4

Starr is going to have a great 2017. He's got the look (he must maintain the beard), moveset, crowd appreciation, and charisma. The crowd and David are singing after the match and they break out into a "DAVID" chant. He gets a random "what" from a fan and replies with "don't what me, come on, you can hear me, I'm a great speaker" doesn't come across condescending at all too. They reply with a "yes you are" chant. Smarky fan says "what" again after he starts so the rest of the fans start a "shut the fuck up" chant. He promises to win 16 Carat Gold <3 I would love it if you did. "16 Carat" chant. They love him. I love him, too.

A4 (Absolute Andy & Marius Al-Ani) (c) vs. Ringkampf (Axel Dieter Jr. & WALTER) for the wXw World Tag Team titles - Two Out Of Three Falls: I haven't heard of anyone here but Big Van Walter and Ed tells me I'll love WALTER. Carson Beck (may be typing the name wrong), the Director of Sports at wXw also loses his job if Ringkampf win. Christian Jakobi is the guy trying to get Carson outed, he did the intro for the show earlier. Sitoci joins commentary but you cant hear him so commentator is having a one sided conversation. Between all four men, Axel Dieter Jr. actually impresses me the most. I love his confident demeanor, his uppercuts are great, and they really play up his resiliency surviving two Sharpshooters. The second Sharpshooter in particular, he has to wait for WALTER to save him but Marius Al-Ani runs lookout and gets WALTER into a crossface so WALTER has to break out of that crossface, lift Al-Ani up and slam him into Absolute Andy to finally break up the submission. WALTER still looks good, particularly when he's swatting people in mid-air or tossing them around but he does not have as intimidating a feel as I would've liked. Interesting first fall where both teams are down after Al-Ani gets tossed into Absolute Andy so the referee gives both teams one fall for it. Never seen that before, and not a bad way to do it. Both teams look good so now it becomes first team to a fall to get the win. WALTER doesn't feel like a very intimidating man, he gets lifted up pretty easily by Andy & Al-Ani, though he struggles at first, manages to do the same as well. The second fall sort of loses me because the ref stops really caring about keeping any order and lets the illegal man stick around for lengthy periods of time and just sits back and watches. Feels like he forgot he's even the ref when he starts bouncing his head to the rhythm of Absolute Andy's Sweet Chin Music prep. Christian Jakobi comes in and Carson Beck follows to knock him out. WALTER gets hit with Al-Ani's death valley driver and then a frog splash and A4 wins to retain the belt and keep Carson's job. ***1/4 I'm disappointed in the way WALTER looks because I was expecting a dominant HOSS which he wasn't really made to look like. And after the first fall, the excitement faded for me with lengthy set ups for the tag moves and A4 just having no impact on me. The commentator's one sided convo with Emil Sitoci and his overrating the match did not help. Axel Dieter Jr. is cool though, I'd like to see more of him. WALTER needs to be protected more.

Jurn Simmons (c) vs. Adam Cole vs. Marty Scurll for the wXw Unified World Wrestling title:
    Evidently know Adam Cole (though I can't remember any memorable match I've seen of his ) and that Marty Scurll vs. Will Ospreay match vs. High Stakes is the only Scurll match I've seen and it was great. I've never heard of Jurn Simmons but victories over John Klinger, Jeff Jarrett, ZSJ, Paul London, Mike Bailey, and David Starr <3 give him pedigree. Jurn Simmons gets insta-points for his entrance gyrating dance. They fixed Emil's mic for this. All three of these guys are natural cheaters which adds a fun layer to the match and Adam Cole & Marty Scurll have a few in-ring similarities that they play on throughout. Unfortunately, there are very few instances where all three are in so it's mostly a bunch of singles matches throughout. Scurll gets lightly busted open early headbutting Simmons while trying to superplex him. Superkick party is included as you might expect with Scurll and Cole exchanging superkicks a few times throughout. At one point Simmons gets handed his title but Cole steals it, Scurll gets his umbrella and they beat the shit out of Simmons with it. Simmons gets permanently taken out of the match when Cole superkicks him out of it. Scurll gets hit with three straight superkicks but refuses to sit down and snaps Cole's fingers (everyone, ref included, cringing) and then turns Cole's O'Connor roll into the Crossface Chickenwing, hammering at Cole with his legs to force the tap and win the title. ****

Christian Michael Jakobi comes out to congratulate Scurll and tell him he has to defend the title. And it's against my boy Axel Dieter Jr. who attacks him from behind!

Marty Scurll (c) vs. Axel Dieter Jr. for the wXw Unified World Wrestling title: Kryptonite Krunch! Uppercut! Marty kicks out and snaps Axel's fingers. But instead of capitalizing he tries to get the Crossface Chickenwing on Christian Michael Jakobi. Dieter Jr. recovers and after a 2 count roll-up, hits the Chickenwing on Marty Scurll! Marty tries to fight it but he passes out. We have a new champion! Dieter Jr. is so happy and elated and I'm happy for him <3 ref reluctantly gives Jakobi the title who wraps it around Dieter Jr. I'm actually happy with this finish. The main guy that won me over in the night walks away with the title, what's not to like. SQUASH

Axel Dieter JR. won me over. Jurn Simmons sort of faded in the main event. And the fatal four way title match was really fun. Solid show overall but I can't say any wXw guy won me over aside from Ringkampf (and mostly Dieter Jr. at that).
    In regards to your spanish fly excitement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n23071-_S1M

oh the SAT and Red, ahead of their time.

Spoiler:

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Admittedly Sitoci's Spanish Fly looked a bit better. Might be because the vid cut into it too fast and it was three men involved but also because S.A.T. are a few inches shorter and it looked rush. Not to take away from it, but the Sitoci Spanish Fly on Chris Colen looked better.

Sweet Meat

Status

Admittedly Sitoci's Spanish Fly looked a bit better. Might be because the vid cut into it too fast and it was three men involved but also because S.A.T. are a few inches shorter and it looked rush. Not to take away from it, but the Sitoci Spanish Fly on Chris Colen looked better.
    Most things done by people these days look better than what the SAT did. It was just far less common then.

Spoiler:

Status

Io's is better

Just messing. It's a sick move. Love when Ospreay does it... I think my favourite Spanish Fly was Fenix's against him at BOLA where they both landed on their feet. Originally misremembered it as Ospreay doing it fucksake.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 12-23-2016 at 06:05 AM.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

IPW:UK Supershow 5

First IPW:UK show I'll be watching (and aside from RevPro's High Stakes 2015, I haven't watched any other UK show, tbf). Like wXw, they should be a permanent addition to FloSlam so hopefully both these companies see all their events broadcasted here.

Tom Dawkins vs. Joseph Conners: Straight in with both men in the ring. I've seen/heard of neither. Dawkins challenged Jimmy Havoc but Havoc told him he wasn't ready yet and gave him a match against his friend Conners. Joseph Conners is one of the 16 man competing in the WWE UK Championship but he's completely unassuming here. Tom Dawkins black belt background plays a part in his style, and his array of kicks and ability to fly and his strength make him fun to watch. Particularly enjoyed his cartwheel off the apron to the floor, his missile dropkick and high kick from the ground. Conners was boring in control and did nothing to excite me. Ultimately average match won by Dawkins to further stake his claim at a shot for Havoc's title (if he retains tonight). **

Pollyanna vs. Tennessee Honey for the IPW:UK Women's title: Originally an interim championship match but Mickie James relinquished the title because of... other commitments. Pollyanna gets points for the Game of Thrones theme song. Took me a second to put my finger on it. Plus Honey's theme song and gimmick are stupid. Black Country Girl is a dumb gimmick. Both of these ladies are relatively even, Pollyanna tries to end the match quickly enough with a Pollinator (Double Underhook Facebuster) and another move we never get to see but Honey gets out of it soon enough. Lots of hard hitting strikes, and mostly a brawl for the duration of this match. When Pollyanna finally gets the Pollinator off, it looks like she might win but Tennessee Honey is able to turn things around with a Sunset Bomb (countering that move she was trying to set up earlier for the second time) and a Discuss Lariat. Pollyanna kicks out so she elevates her to the top rope but gets shoved down and then hit with a double foot stomp (you get the feeling she was going for something else but when Honey slipped into a hanging tree, she just went with that). For a third time, she goes for that earlier finisher, Honey slips out again but Pollyanna drops down on her chest and hooks both legs to prevent the roll up, and herself get the pin. Honey can't get her off and Pollyanna takes the win. **3/4 They hug it out after the match and Pollyanna celebrates with the IPW:UK Women's title.

Amazon, one half of the IPW:UK British Tag Team champions says she was supposed to be the rightful number one contender and that she wants her match now. Pollyanna doesn't disagree and hits a suicide dive to start the match.

Amazon vs. Pollyanna (c) for the IPW:UK Women's title: Amazon is domineering and fresh and so any momentum that Pollyanna tries to gather is pretty much cut off, and Amazon is able to hit her Double Chokebomb to win this. NR.

Zack Gibson vs. Scott Star (c) for the IPW: UK All-England title: They both have pretty great theme songs. Zack Gibson sports a Liverpool shirt for that instant-heat. Gibson does his own introduction but the crowd are booing so hard, you can't hear a thing. "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" chant follows. The crowd are incessant in their boos, goes on for quite a bit, it's great. Like four minutes of straight booing. He finally pauses, tries again, and they're right back at it. He charges through the rest of the boos before giving the mic away to a round of applause. Scott Star wants to defend the belt against best from each county of England and Gibson represents Merseyside. Gibson is a great heel here, he bad mouths and disrespects Star constantly, builds up to his Shankly Gates (spelling may vary) from the get go by targeting Star's left arm, and in general bullies Star. Crowd eats it up, taunting Gibson with an "Beautiful Everton" chant among others. Star is pretty solid here too with a nice Standing Shiranui, and a moonsault running on the apron to the turnbuckle on the outside. He tries to climb the rafters and the commentator says, "what are you doing, this isn't Ultimate X," and he crashes and burns on his Wrecking Ball Senton. Still, he's able to catch Gibson with a roll up after Gibson says "what an idiot" for his high risk, low reward move, in the end, Star wins but you get the feeling he got lucky. Would've liked to see the Shankly Gates executed. *** Gibson tries to demonstrate how he kicked out, but still sells his neck, good heel, good guy.

Will Ospreay vs. Cody Rhodes:
    This is the big hyped match for this event. Cody Rhodes going by his full name and wearing his WCPW Internet title. Will Ospreay is in full heel mode, he takes his time getting into the ring, and refuses to show his usual flair at times, hyping up a feat of acrobatics before dumbing it down to a very simple maneuver. Cody Rhodes plays well to the crowd himself, too sweeting everyone, using an old man's cane, and subbing in for Ospreay's refusal to take high risks. Ospreay manages to hurt Rhodes's leg at some point thanks to a dropkick to it while he was in a hanging tree position but only played off it for a bit. There's a battle of kicks here, with Ospreay having his array of superkicks, roundhouse kicks and pele kicks while Rhodes has his own share of enzuigiris, superkicks and of course the huge Disaster Kick with Ospreay sells with a back flip. I'm curious, have people always been having raging forearm battles and 'hit me' moments or is this more of a trend of recent years? The latter I think has been a thing but I feel like the raging forearm wars might have been derived from Japan. It takes two spaced out Crossrhodes for Cody to put away Ospreay. Significantly better match than against Page ***3/4 And thankfully Cody didn't try to heel it up whilst his opponent was the clear heel, which I think was an issue in that Page match. Played it up to the crowd and let Ospreay really heel it up. Rhodes offers a handshake and the two hug it out but Ospreay low blows him and leaves while Rhodes falls to the mat. Cody doesn't make any effort to sell it but lays there for a second before putting up a too sweet. I enjoyed this match but I'd really like to see Cody in a match where he doesn't try to play up superfluous entertainment factor, where its just a pure "who is better" match. Alas, with him joining Bullet Club, I doubt we'll ever get that.

Cuban Heat w/ The Banker & Big T vs. Santa - 10,000 Cuban Peso Challenge: Anyone who can last 10 minutes with Cuban Heat get the 10000 peso but 16 people have already failed. He has an indecipherable promo then Santa is out. Santa hugs some fans, drops a too sweet, is really thin. He pulls out a list and says most everybody has been good, but he's been at Cuban Heat's mother's house and he found that he's been naughty. "You've been naughty!" chant followed by a Santa led "Ho! Ho! Ho!" chant. Santa is unveiled to be PROGRESS's Roy Johnson (who is also in the WWE UK tournament). The moment that unveiling is done, this match becomes mind numbingly boring. Johnson is green as grass and the only unique thing about him is his high pitched scream. Cuban isn't much better. With two men at ringside, shenanigans ensue where Big T lays out Johnson with the 10000 peso briefcase and Cuban Heat locks in his submission. Johnson does a terrible job of selling it and taps out after a bit. Definitely was signed because of his look because he is far too green to produce an even decent match in that tournament. * Big T lays out Roy Johnson post match.

--I really need to start reviewing on a third party document since I always end up having the token expiring and losing a ton of stuff--

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Matt Riddle: First meeting in Europe for the two. Riddle beat him last time they faced. They're very evenly matches with ZSJ being a better mat wrestler and Riddle being far stronger and showcasing that with a ton of suplexes including four straight suplexes, and he goes hard on his strikes too. Both men try to get on each other's levels with Riddle testing his mat wrestling skill and ZSJ trying to outstrike Riddle. At some point, after blocking their respective kicks, they get in a leg lock battle of sorts, trying to push the other man into suffering more by twisting and wrenching. Sabre Jr. looks like he might get Riddle to tap out at numerous instances after wrapping him up in a submission like the triangle choke but Riddle manages to get out. Ultimately, Riddle is able to lock Sabre Jr. into the Bromission and Sabre Jr. has no choice but to quickly tap out. ****1/4 This sort of pure athletic competition is what Rhodes needs. Not these overt displays he has with Page & Ospreay where he's more dedicated to playing to the crowd. Might as well return to the WWE in such a case.

DND (Cieran Donnelly & Danny Duggan) vs. London Riots (James Davis & Rob Lynch) vs. Amazon & Will Ospreay (c) for the IPW:UK British Tag Team titles:
    Will Ospreay comes out after a lengthy build up as to who will be pairing up with Amazon. He says that Scotty Essex is injured and they don't know where Paul Robinson is so he'll be teaming with Amazon who he has met for the first time, they're all part of Swords of Essex. The two stay on the apron for most of the match with DND & London Riots go at it but Ospreay is the star of the match. Both him and Amazon are at the ready to break up any pinfall. Ospreay takes out Donnelly at some point, and commandeers Amazon to toss him into the chairs, shocked afterwards when he musters strength to get on the apron and get a tag. After another pin fall break out, he has to evade DND and leads them into a collision with London Riots. Eventually he gets outright involved in the match, sacking everyone in the balls and then readying to toss one of the Riots into their very own bat held by Amazon but he gets tossed into Amazon who takes out DND and hit with a Catapult into a Spear to give London Riots their third title. *** Will Ospreay made this a fun watch and shows he can do more than be an extremely athletic wrestler. Amazon carries him to the back.

After the match, London Riots praise DND and offer them a TLC match but also bury Swords of Essex, namely Scotty & Paul who weren't here tonight while they put on a show for the fans. Not sure if faux-shoot or not.

Sammy Smooth vs. Jimmy Havoc (c) for the IPW:UK World title - I Quit:
    I hate brutal hardcore matches so I'm already cringing at this one. Smooth botches a high risk maneuver by the bar when he just slips off it, and there's another one where he runs along the apron to hit perhaps a missile dropkick, now Havoc moves out of the way but it looks like Smooth was gonna fuck it up anyways. Havoc superplexes Smooth into chairs and gets tossed it into a table unexpectedly set up at ringside. The match gets next level brutal when the thumbtacks come into play, with Havoc literally driving into Smooth's head, them putting it into each other's mouth or spitting it at each other, and of course Havoc hitting a Death Valley Driver and getting Blue Thunder Bomb'd onto them. Smooth also adds a Blue Thunder Bomb onto chairs and looks like he might win when he locks in the Camel Clutch while having the cheese grater grating Havoc's head. He's about to quit but Joseph Connors comes to Havoc's rescue. Havoc threatens to torture Smooth if he won't quit, and he won't, so he gets staples to his dick. Smooth turns the tables momentarily to the same to Havoc but is back in that position soon after. Havoc bust out a paper and starts giving Smooth paper cuts before putting lemon juice. Goddamn. This is more torturous than Saw. That's it for Smooth's friends: Scott Star and Zack Sabre Jr. who come to his rescue. Havoc gets a mic... and orders ZSJ to take out Star which he does, choking him out. "OH... ZACK SABRE JR!" They threaten to torture Star if Smooth won't quit, Star tells him not to quit and gets his head bashed into the chair. Tennessee Honey comes down to try and grab Smooth but gets into the same position, except they add in a dash of thumbtacks... Smooth finally quits! And... Tennessee Honey hugs Havoc, she was in it all along. **** The match gets bonus points because I enjoyed the shenanigans. I don't like these sort of matches mind you, and would much rather watch ZSJ vs. Riddle from earlier in the night. Still, they manage to rope in FloSlam viewers with that turn of events, and I think everyone wants to see what ZSJ does as Havoc's minion from now on.

I'd argue this is a worthwhile show with the special attraction matches of ZSJ/Riddle and Rhodes/Ospreay being good watches, as well as the triple threat simply for Ospreay's antics and of course Smooth/Havoc for the end. No one really gripped me on the roster like wXw with Dieter Jr./WALTER (and Starr to a degree but that was my second time with him and I was enamored as it was). I'd like to see more Tom Dawkins, I suppose.

Next two shows to watch are OTT Wrestling - Dream Before Christmas and OTT Wrestling Belfast Invasion on the 28th & 29th. I don't watch them live and they could do what they did with this and wXw and upload them after both have aired. If I get the chance I'll probably watch SHINE 39, ACW: Yuletide Beatings and if I get through those two then House of Hardcore 22 & 23.
    Last edited by Evil Jon; 12-23-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Over The Top Wrestling: A Dream Before Christmas Review - One of the newer additions to the FloSlam library is Ireland’s Over The Top Wrestling and they start their time on FloSlam off with two shows: A Dream Before Christmas and Belfast Invasion. I’ve gotten a certain familiarity for a few of the Indy’s current boys so it’ll be good to imitate my IPW:UK & wXw viewing experiences where I get to see some of the big names of the Indy (Ospreay, Ricochet, Riddle) and discover talents I hadn’t heard of yet (Axel Dieter Jr. & David Starr).

The intro does a great job on selling you on the epicness OTT has to offer though seems to put more emphasis on the big Indy names (Ospreay, Scurll, ZSJ, Dunne - but I guess Dunne is just growing) than their own talent though I guess that’s fair if you’re trying to get newcomers in, sell you on the big talent, keep you with the home grown. After another (this time narrator-less) music video, we get a minute and a half hype-up pre-show of the host and commentator (presumptions here) remarking that the world is watching regarding their FloSlam debut (I do wonder how much of a viewership they get from FloSlam).

We go to a pre-recorded clip of a man (didn’t catch his name) by a gated building on the phone until someone pulls up a gun on his head. It’s all a joke of course, the man asks Angel Cruz (gun-toter) if its loaded and it accidentally goes off, pissing him off but Cruz’s security guard comes between them. The man tells him to bring his crew saturday, he’ll bring his crew, and he leaves. Odd little segment.

Charlie Sterling vs. Justin Shape:Charlie Sterling sports the English flag as well as a tea-cup (which he sips from) and a green beret to insta-heat (since everyone around UK & Ireland who isn’t from England seems to hate England). He’s a member of heel stable, the Social Elite and gets a “Social Wanker” chant from the crowd. Justin Shape interrupts him before he can talk for their one on one match-up, ugly Christmas sweater, tongue under colorful, vibrant pants and catchy song in tow. Very standard comedy match. Justin Shape has the love of the crowd who give him a slew of chants like ‘Lock Him Up’ and praise him with ‘Holy Shits’ after he does a ‘suicide dive’ off the bottom-most rope, and furthermore after a bottom rope drop kick. Sterling is mostly the heel for Shape to play his act on, falling for all of his clever ploys. Funny match, not laugh out loud funny but a decent warm-up. Shape wins after a sit-out Alabama Slam though after a one-handed cutter, piledriver & frog splash it did look like Sterling might win. **½

Shape grabs a microphone aftewards to hype his stablemates, the Gymnasties, in their upcoming OTT Tag Team titles match against The Kings of the North.

Sir Paul Tracey, the leader of the Social Elite comes out, angry that a member of the Social Elite was relegated to an opening match (no mention of his defeat) and angrier yet that the main event is between Ospreay and Ricochet, and threatens the Social Elite sending both on a stretcher. He highlights that he doesn’t even care about the OTT Tag Team title match later because the Social Elite will take the belts at Belfast Invasion anyways and claims Dunne isn’t here because he too, fears the Social Elite. He says he wants a match and he’s getting it in the form of (Darling) Fabulous Nicky.

Fabulous Nicky vs. Sir Paul Tracey:
    Nicky is in pink tights and gets a “Nicky’s gorgeous” chant attributed to his flamboyant behavior. This is far duller than the previous match. Nicky is back from a 6 month OTT hiatus but isn’t in full form, a hurricanna so slow, it look as if Paul Tracy was setting up for a powerbomb counter highlighted a weak match all around. The fans kept this mildly entertaining with ‘wanker’ chants and a ‘Hey Mickey’ chant tailored for the fabulous one. Paul Tracy wins this after a slew of big moves and his own (far-less impactful looking) Rainmaker.

Angel Cruz (our gun-toting bad ass from before) is looking for a crew, and says Tyler Breeze won’t answer his phone (they’ve name-dropped Finn Balor throughout the match too as he was here before the show). His two security guards, Chris and Rick offer themselves up to be his crew and Cruz enthusiastically agrees ‘let’s do this!’ after naming them The Pricks.

Fabian Aichner & Dave Mastiff vs. The Hangovers (Jordan Devlin & Sean Guinness): Fabian Aichner, as the commentators highlight, had to go from his natural 240 pounds to 205 pounds to compete in the CWC earlier in the year. His partner is Dave Mastiff who I’ve been sold on off gifs (and his Steen match) alone. Jordan Devlin is a member of the Social Elite and also one of the WWE UK tournament participants. Devlin forgets he has a partner and grabs the mic but tosses it back to the ring announcer when Jay-Z’s 99 Problems plays to bring out Sean Guinness. They also have an outdated banner for this one with The Hangovers intro clip saying “Sean Maxer” instead of “Sean Guinness”. This is essentially a match between two great thrown-together individuals and an experienced Hangovers team. Jordan Devlin has hype behind him with the UK tourney ahead and seems like OTT might get behind him for a push, I think that’d be an ill-advised decision. It might be some sort of Anti-UK tourney bias but Devlin comes firmly looking the worst of all four men here. He messes up a springboard crossbody (that they sell as him getting brick wall’d by Mastiff but he never came close to hitting him), mistimes both a Stereo Missile Dropkick and Stereo Kicks to the back of Mastiff’s head (that Guinness times and does with precision). At the end of the match, he stirs before Aichner gets ready for his top rope splash, giving away entirely the (already obvious) counter. The finish sees him grab a cane in front of the ref (whether intentional or he forgot the ref needed to be distracted) then takes out the ref after the ref tries to wave him off using it, though the ref nevertheless wakes up in time to give The Hangovers the win after they make use of the cane. I don’t know why he wasn’t disqualified. Mastiff and Aichner look good here however. Mastiff is a strong bastard and his double suplex as well as (although contrived) double german suplex looked great. Aichner is a strong ‘cruiserweight’ with some pretty good athleticism to make a fun, at times theatric combination. But some sloppiness makes this a mediocre match altogether. **½

Angel Cruz & Team Prick vs. Swoggle & The Lads from the Flat (Paddie M & Workie): Paddie M is the man that had the gun to the back of his head in the opening segment. Swoggle shows up as the third man in the Lads from the Flat crew. The face trio have an overly long rave before the match can start. Swoggle gets on the mic and says Cruz looks like a child molester (subsequently gaining a ‘Child Molester’ chant) before praising the crowd for the cheap pop (his words). This one is another comedy match, as you might expect. Team Prick doesn’t know how to wrestle making this essentially a 1 on 2 ½ affair. The fans enjoy themselves with Swoggle, giving him a ‘Hit the Hashtag’ chant to get him to chop the Hashtag on Angel Cruz’s tights (conveniently located at his crotch). Angel Cruz who got a ‘You Touch Dicks’ chant earlier accidentally touches and feels up Paddie M’s dick thinking he was grabbing Swoggle’s head. A ‘Wee-L-C’ chant gets Swoggle to order a (coffee) table whereby he powerbombs Angel Cruz through and wins the match. It’s not a bad match at all but having gone through an underwhelming hour of wrestling, it’s not what I’m necessarily looking for. Really though, the fans chants are at least making this interesting without resorting to WWE-hijacked chants. **½ Swoggle gets a ‘one of us’ chant when he says this feel like home even to a fake irishman.

The OTT Women’s Champion comes down to the ring in a Sexy Santa Claus outfit to set up another rave. She reminds me of ODB. Don’t like her.

Promo for the Kings of the North vs. Gymnasties OTT Tag Team titles follows. Kings of the North have gone through numerous teams over 6 months, beating them all as they waited for their title opportunity to come again. The Gymnasties feel underrated and have a fuckton of Christmas references in a very slick video overall. This feels like their true main event in place of the Indy dream match they’ve got as their legit main event between Ricochet and Will Ospreay.

The Kings of the North (Damien Corvin & Bonesaw) vs. The Gymnasties (B. Cool & Sammy D) for the OTT Tag Team titles: Both teams respective managers are handcuffed together (the other option being to be sent to the back) as per referee orders after they nearly brawled to start the match. Both teams skip any sort of feeling out process, this is an extended 15 minutes of ‘your move, my move’ though neither team has anything original in their arsenal to make them standout. They do play with the two managers, Justin Shape and Drunk n’ Disorderly throughout though. One particularly silly moment though has Sammy D lock in a Nasty-shooter (sharpshooter) and instead of Corvin taking the simple route to taking out the ref, he decides to climb the top turnbuckle (I was thinking he wasn’t gonna take out the ref, he was gonna dropkick Sammy D or something) to stomp onto the referee. Sammy D manages to lock another Nasty-shooter this time on Damien Corvin and thinks he’s won when Corvin taps, knowing well that the ref just got taken out. D n’ D grabs the keys from unconscious ref’s pocket to unlock himself and Shape then clocks Sammy B with the handcuffs. Shape is alive again to hit D n’ D with his Alabama Slam. B. Cool comes back inside so they can take on Corvin & Bonesaw but Shape shocks everyone by hitting Cool with the Alabama Slam. The Kings of the North shocked, decide to take the spoils and become the new OTT Tag Team champions.**¾ Shape is gone before we can get an explanation. Decent match but neither team has the right moveset to make this spamfest anything truly exciting. The commentators stated that the ref wasn’t awake to award any disqualification while D n’ D had the handcuffs unlocked but after the cane incident and Swoggle’s table use, was the ref really going to do anything of that sort?

‘Why Justin, Why?’ chant. Sammy D and B. Cool console each other with a hug.

Will Ospreay vs. Ricochet: 55 minutes left in this video. This will be a long one. In a sort of quasi-fun shot at people remarking their stuff as ‘flippy shit’, they start out with a comedic wrist lock and head lock that earns ‘holy shit’ chants from the fans but it isn’t long before they decided to get serious. They have a duel that brings to mind their NJPW encounter before they pause again for a flip contest that Ricochet quickly ends to truly begin the match. In a match that lasts about thirty minutes, these guys put on a spectacle for the crowd whom for once tonight, don’t seem like they’re entertaining themselves. It’s a pure contest for Ricochet and Ospreay whom have faced off numerous times this year and always try to outdo one another. We get Ospreay climbing the top rope and jumping clear over the barricade to the second level to crash into Ricochet and Ricochet jumping over rows of chairs to splash into Ospreay. They counter and reverse each other’s moves, are shocked and stunned anew when their opponents counter of what should have beaten anyone else and by the end, are barely able to stand as they engage in fisticuffs. It takes 4 straight knees for Ricochet to finish off Ospreay with a spinning tombstone piledriver.****¾

Ospreay & Ricochet have some fond words (and mutual jacking off) exchanged afterwards and engage in a dance off to Uptown Funk. Swoggle comes out to further jack them off (justifiably so). They take shots. Darling Nicky is out with Candy Canes to All I Want For Christmas Is You. Sir Paul Tracey interrupts the rave just as The Lads in the Flat arrived. Ricochet baits him into coming into the ring before Stunning him and getting a “Oh Hell Yeah!” Think the show is over now.

Overall thoughts on the show - the finale is a spectacle worth watching on its own but this isn’t a good showcase for OTT. I imagine the sole reason the OTT crowd got through it was because of the main event and the endless cans of beer sprinkled around the arena that gave them self-entertainment powers. They also failed to use their main event to put over their own talent, Ospreay/Ricochet isn’t representative of what we’ll be seeing going forward so I wouldn’t have put it at the top of their first FloSlam show (though to be fair nothing else could have topped that). wXw culminated with a main event featuring a wXw mainstay and also one of their own standing atop, IPW:UK furthered an angle and was a IPW:UK main event with Smooth/Havoc. None of the home OTT guys made me want to stay (and quite a bit were sloppy), and the Justin Shape betrayal isn’t quite gripping, and nowhere near as interesting as ZSJ’s recently. Hopefully Belfast Invasion does better in this regard but with Scurll/Ricochet facing off and Riddle/Mandrews/Kingston appearing on February card I feel like they’ll keep coasting on big Indy names for a good show but hopefully someone rises up from the OTT roster to stand out. I don't think Pete Dunne can be relied on in that regard with his stock sure to rise even higher in 2017.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

OTT Belfast Invasion Review:

I was underwhelmed with A Dream Before Christmas (stellar main event aside) so I'm hoping for OTT to impress me with their last show of 2016, particularly in regards to their homegrown talent. This event is out of Belfast, for their first time ever, so it'll be interesting to see if the crowd here is as self-sustaining as their Dublin crowd. As with the Dublin show, the two announcers open it up, hyping the big main event of Scurll vs. Ricochet, the second announcer gets an ugh worthy 'You're a ******' chant (I hope I misheard it tbh).

Luther Valentine vs. Tucker: Worth noting that Tucker will be one of the 16 competitors in the WWE UK tournament. The more Indy matches I watch, the more I observe that the guys who end up a favorite or keep to memory are those with the more unique movesets, demeanors, looks and behaviors in the ring. Guys like Yehi, or Tom Dawkins, or Dieter Jr. and even WALTER. Luther Valentine and Tucker are about as average as you will find. They have boring movesets and in a world where we see twenty superkicks a match, and three Piledrivers for victories, trying to sell me on a Senton Bomb, or Superman Punch or a Superkick as a straight match ender is a bit less likely. Tucker is an athletic wrestler but again, compared to the truly athletic guys today, he seems a few notches behind. Both are more or less average and forgettable and this match never becomes anything more than a series of moves, nor does it take advantage of the crowd the way the more average matches last show did. Tucker ultimately wins this with a super kick. **1/2

The Wards (Rocky Mac & Pa Ward) vs. B Cool & Kenny Williams w/ Sammy D: If you read my last review then you’ll know that Justin Shape, the Gymnasties manager, betrayed B Cool & Sammy D. B Cool claims that Sammy D suffered a concussion because of that attack and as a result he had to scour facebook for a partner and unveils Kenny Williams. Kenny & Sammy hug it out and Sammy gets Kenny’s coat so he can head to ringside. The Wards look like knock-off MMA fighters. B Cool is predictably the isolated man here, though at some point, the hot tag is subverted when Ward has the wits about him to take Kenny off the apron. Sammy D decides to tag himself in, take out Pa & Rocky then lifts Kenny up to the apron so he can get the tag back in (no idea where the referee went off to in this sequence). Kenny has a good momentum of exciting offense until he’s unceremoniously thrown out. Cool goes to the top for a crossbody but is caught and dropped with a TKO and pinned. Either A) tags don’t need to be made, or B) B Cool was the illegal man and this ref sucks. **¾ Gymnasties are the funnest bunch in OTT while The Wards were just there. The commentators put emphasis on Rocky Mac working out and he’s definitely made to look the better of The Wards pairing, getting the pin to boot here. Expect a big 2017 for him.

Joe Coffey vs. Fabian Aichner: Fabian Aichner and Joe Coffey are both very physically imposing looking men but they subvert expectations by starting the match off technically with wrist locks, arm bars and headlocks. Fabian Aichner, though he doesn’t have incredible aerial moves, still looks stellar when he does a moonsault, or hops on to the top rope and springboards to the outside because he’s such a bulky, muscular wrestler. Joe Coffey isn’t afraid to try some risks himself with a top rope crossbody done without a second hesitation and a near kip up, again both look all the better because of how built these two are. Coffey makes some mistakes here, nearly botching a suplex over the apron to within the ring (perhaps that was a two man botch?) and not quite keeping his balance when he catches a flying Aichner (perhaps he should’ve done the Cena roll through) but he quickly slams Aichner knowing he didn’t quite get it through. Finally, when Aichner builds up to his Frog Splash finish, he rolls onto his back to prepare for the uppercut counter way too soon and it becomes a dead giveaway. And lastly, this on Aichner’s part, when Coffey sets up the Boston Crab, Aichner taps out before it’s been fully locked in (it looks more premature and less like the sudden pain got to him). Despite those instances, this is still the sort of match I was waiting to see out of OTT and I hope both men are or become mainstays here. If anything, I do believe these two need to build more emotion into the match, or have the crowd feel more implicit in it, because it felt like they were living in their own little world. ***¼ Post-match handshake for the competitive affair.

Body Bros (CT Flexor, Brian Abs & Adam Flex) vs. The Lads from the Flats (Paddy M and Workie) : Body Bros are a trio of well-built men, Adam Flex claims to be a celebrity, reality TV star and a man with more followers than the crowd combined. They’re known as the Body Bros and are from around Belfast. Brian Abs isn’t very impressive physically but Flexor and Flex would have me keep my shirt on. There’s a “Chicken legs” chant to bear down on Adam Flex’s mic time. The Lads arrive and bring in Swoggle as their third man. “You suck dick” towards Body Bros starts. More ugh. Another comedy match as to be expected, Paddy M does a headstand on the turnbuckle at some point, kicking anyone who might get close to Body Bros decide to whip each other into the corner to get past those swinging legs. Flex & Flexor get big booted but Abs catches a leg then delivers a superkick to get him off. Body Bros break a two count themselves to ridicule the Lads further but when Swogger gets a hot tag, and a german suplex, the momentum swings back from the Lads. The Lads hits a splash/Inverted DDT combo but break the two count themselves when Swoggle corrects the referee and says he’s the legal man (second time the ref fucks up tonight, goddamn you ref). Swoggle hits the frog splash for the win. **½

The Social Elite (Sir Paul Tracey, Jordan Devlin & Chase Sterling) vs. The Kings of the North (Bonesaw, Damien Corvin & Dunkan Disorderly) (c) for the OTT Tag Team titles: I called Dunkan Disorder “Drunk N’ Disorderly” last show because I thought that was his name and it wasn’t listed being that he was a manager. His name is actually a pun, the more you know. The Kings of the North, being at home in Belfast, are the definite faces against the far heels in the company, The Social Elite. The first part of this match quickly becomes a chaotic brawl on the outside with KotN trio all getting a chance to fly from the ring into the crowd. The second part is Dunkan isolated and taken advantage of by The Social Elite. The third part is a big match spamfest. I’ve come to understand that tags and legal men are absolutely pointless in this match. The referee keeps getting in The Kings of the North’s way when they try to help Dunkan when he’s isolated. But when all three men come in to prevent Dunkan from making the tag, Bonesaw and Corvin just watch as they wait for Dunkan to try and get himself out before making a double tag. Why did they wait since the referee clearly gave up on preventing Social Elite from coming into the ring in proper fashion. And why do they even bother with tags when the next sequence is people coming in, hitting a finisher then going for a pin when they weren’t ever tagged in or before their partner has even left in the ring. Zero sense and the referee is utterly pointless. I was so annoyed by it I stopped caring for the sequence of big moves that followed. Kings of the North retain after Bonesaw and Damien Corvin hit a dropkick into a flapjack finish. **½

Martina The Session Moth © vs. Kay Lee Ray vs. Katey Harvey for the OTT Women’s title - Elimination match:
    Martina’s ODB vibes make her an instant dislike for me. Kay Lee Ray has made a name for her in the women indy circuit but I’ve never heard of Katey before. Martina offers Kay Lee Ray a beer to start but Katey has no shits to give for Martina and tries a roll up to start the match. Kay Lee and Martina have a fun go at hitting suicide dives on Katey before drinking cans of beer and starting off the match with one another. Shockingly enough, eventually Katey pulls the ropes to get Kay Lee over it and then clocks Martina with a beer can. Ref raises his hands like ‘why’d you do that’ then promptly counts the pin (being that it’s an elimination match, shouldn’t DQ be counted, oh well). Martina is out! The match has potential to ramp up from thereon but it never really does, mostly drifting without ever reaching the fever pitch that it should. Katey drops Kay Lee head first into the post and hooks the leg for an easy underwhelming three count to become the new champion. A bit disappointing since Kay Lee looked far smoother in the ring. **¼ The announcers over exaggerate calling this a ‘war’ and a ‘tactical masterclass’ but it was neither, really. Still, I imagine Katey will lead OTT’s women division going forward.

Marty Scurll vs. Ricochet: This is the first match I’ve seen between Scurll & Ricochet, according to Cagematch, they’ve not faced once this year, OTT did an incredible job to cap off 2016 with a match between these two. Ricochet and Marty Scurll can seem to do no wrong in the ring. They’re ridiculously smooth, able to drum up drama easily even for these one-off dream matches, and insanely entertaining. Both of these men had their fun with the crowd, and though this never had the sort of ‘need to prove I’m better than you’ element of Ospreay vs. Ricochet from the night before that made that intense, this is nevertheless a great watch. Marty Scurll manages to get a Crossface Chickenwing off an O’Connor Roll (no one should ever use such a pin against Scurll, I’ve decided), but just about skims the ropes with his legs to survive. Ricochet is able to gather some momentum to go for a handspring but on the comeback gets caught in the Crossface Chickenwing. He resists for a second, going for the rope but Scurll turns him on his side and he has no choice but to tap. **** There’s another slightly more subdued dance party after this one, right after Ricochet and Scurll praise OTT, the Indy scene notable PWG and RevPro on Scurll’s part.

Again, a star-studded Indy dream match holds this card up. That said Joe Coffey vs. Fabian Aichner is still a good match in an underwhelming show. I believe Riddle is coming over in February and of course Pete Dunne should be back seeing as he holds the biggest gold here but you’ve got to think that with Dunne’s name expanding, he’ll be around OTT sparingly. They need to find a couple of quality gems to built OTT around. There’s nothing wrong with The Lads from the Flats, or the Gymnasties providing some fun bits of comedy, but there’s no permanent guy in OTT that I want to watch, and that’s disheartening. Marty Scurll & Ricochet is another must-watch like the Ospreay/Ricochet of the night before.

HOSS MOD

Status

Sup, kids? Your old uncle Cyrus is back, breaking a bit of a silence.

I know, I know, y'all missed me, but things have been moving at a very...strange pace in real like. Also, I've been trying some new things to be more social outside of typing stuff on good old WC. But I do love me a good grapple, and a certain somebody was in town today, so...

Tonight I went to a show run by Wrestling Revolver. If you're not familiar with Revolver, it's basically PWG for the Midwest with a revolving roster. Sami Callihan and the Crist Brothers are big figures in the promotion and considering they practically run Rockstar Pro (the Dayton local wrestling fed), no surprise the Revolver ended up in Dayton.

What wasn't expected?

Yeah, apparently Naito's on a bit of a Midwest loop that's NOT being promoted by ROH. So that's something neat. And as somebody who's watched EXCEEDINGLY little New Japan and considering the odds that I'll ever get a chance to see what the fuss is about with Naito, I decided to go, have a couple Nickyweisers and just have a good old time. And I did!

So, here's some quick thoughts on the event. Spoilers, though: I'm not doing star ratings, because I don't like using star ratings. These are just some random thoughts on what the event had to offer.

Wrestling Revolver: Naito Takes Dayton

Trey Miguel VS Jason Cade: This was a last minute change in the lineup when AR Fox wasn't able to make it. This is my second time seeing Miguel and first seeing Cade (that I recall). Lots of flippy do's, but a fast paced opener that got the crowd fired up and the hometown boy got the win. No real complains about this match, nothing much to say.

Scramble Championship Match
    : So, Revolver's got this championship that's solely defended in open challenge scramble matches. A bunch of random wrestlers who I know and don't know enter this match, but the reigning champion is Michael Palmer and he already earns points by entering in to "White Room" by Cream. It's the kind of mindless fun these types of matches are, but I do have two complaints. One, it was mostly just a series of one-on-one matches that these multimans tend to devolve into. Two, the outcome became READILY obvious in the second half of the match with Michael Palmer being MIA for most of it, and lo and behold he snuck in and stole the win towards the end. Still, there was enough action to keep me entertained.

Jessicka Havok vs Shotzi Blackheart (AAW Women's Championship Match:
    Jessicka Havok killing bitches is fun. Honestly, that's mostly what this match was. Shotzi got her shots in and played a plucky underdog, but the crowd was feeling Havok more and she ended up crushing her. Okay for what it was.

Brian Cage vs Clayton Gainz:
    BIG BOYS FIGHTING! It was a battle of bodyguys who sometimes do flippy do's and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a good story of Gainz wanting to prove himself to be on Cage's level and Cage doing what Cage does best and eating Gainz for lunch. Gainz got some shine and Cage got to get his shit in. A worthwhile showcase of HOSS STYLE if nothing outstanding.

Zero Gravity (c) vs Besties in the World vs Night Ryderz vs The Dirty (Revolver Tag Team Championship): Okay, this match annoyed me from the start. This was supposed to be a standard four corners tag match, but that shit got thrown out the window just a few minutes in and devolved into a tornado match with no tags or anything resembling that. Granted, as a tornado match, it was perfectly fine, but still why not just advertise it as that to begin with? Anyways, NEW CHAMPS crowned as Besties regain the belts in admittedly abrupt fashion. Best part, though? Zero Gravity shake the Besties hands only to dick kick them. Gotta love heels.

Shane Strickland vs Trevor Lee: Now we get to to some of the good shit. The main event was fun, but the obvious awkwardness detracted some from me. This match had no foibles, because Trevor Lee is awesome at being a dick. Seriously, I have never seen Lee live and I am so geeked about him. He's great and Strickland was good too. A great match to bring us back from intermission and get the crowd hyped again.

"Professional Athlete" Jon Murray (c) vs "Manscout" Jake Manning (Rockstar Pro Championship): As much fun as the Strickland/Lee match and the main event was, this match made me smile more than any other on the card. For the uninitiated, Jon Murray is a BIG boy and Jake Manning runs a gimmick of being a Boy Scout who's a man and constantly checks his scout manual in the match. So yeah...comedy match, but a very funny comedy match, at least watching it live. I was smiling all the way through this match, and I'm still smiling thinking about it.

Sami Callihan, Jake Crist, and David Crist vs MJF, Ace Romero, and MOOSE: Well, I enjoyed the parts of this match I could see. That's the problem with live shows in smaller venues: when wrestlers fight in the crowd in just one section, the rest of us can't see it. Frenetic lax-rules matches like this are basically the bread and butter of Callihan and the Crist brothers, so it wasn't bad. I just feel somewhat miffed that I missed around a third of the action.

Tetsuya Naito vs Michael Elgin:
    Oh. Well. Huh. Elgin, eh? Well, this is awkward. So yeah, Michael Elgin's a shithead and the fact that he's a shithead does make me a bit uncomfortable that he's finding regular work, but there is a silver lining to this. EVERYBODY FUCKING HATED ELGIN. The crowd was already ready to cheer the fuck out of Naito, and having Elgin be this heat-sink really brought the noise for the main event. I can understand why people love Naito, as the fucker's talented and everybody was eating up his shtick. Despite the fact that Rockstar Pro Arena is about as far removed from the Tokyo Dome as you can fucking get, Naito seemed to give it his all and played the hero role against dumbfuck scummy Elgin well. Nobody was trolling and everybody wanted Naito to win, so when he did it was a great cap to the night. Still, if Elgin never gets another payday in Dayton, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel bad about it.

So that was Revolver, and if Sami Callihan's comments at the end of the night are anything to go by, Revolver's operations might be moving to Dayton. We'll see what happens. As for me, I enjoyed the show tremendously. Nothing was super fucking outstanding, but live wrestling's very rarely a bad time and the crowd was hot all night, and with almost no dumbshit fan trolling. Yay for that!

Sweet Meat

Status

You've been gone?

The Elgin reaction on Twitter was hilarious, so I bet being there live for it is a delight.

Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

AAW booked Michael Elgin last night in a mystery vortex style show, and again, Elgin got boo'd and the promotion gets bad publicity for it.

Going to be very interesting to see what the reaction will be at Strong Style Evolved where New Japan will obviously book Elgin.

Thread Information