Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Indy Match/Show Review Thread

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Re: Review the last wrestling match you watched

I've been disappointed with Aries workrate as well. I might check that match out at some point because of the hype its gotten.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Widmore View Post
    Austin Aries (c) vs Davey Richards - ROH Title - Aries Vs. Richards
    I heard some MOTYC talk from this after the match happened. While it is a very good match, it's not quite good enough for a MOTYC. Since I am a fan of Richards style, I wouldn't say he was a negative aspect of the match at all unlike others may feel. If there was one negative aspect, it would be Aries. While his character has been improving greatly this year, his workrate has dropped. The main problem with Aries in the match is how weak a lot of his shots are. There's a good amount of time that it looks like he's barely even touching Richards. The highlight of the match would be the near countout near the end. The fans were practically begging Richards to make it back in the ring. The ending was perfect with Aries nearly knocking Richards out and keeping him in the Horns of Aries. It's a standout match from Aries' title reign, but I'd take most of his original ROH title reign defenses to this. 4 Stars.
    I somewhat agree with you're ratings but I can give you ten exact reasons as to why this match had so much psychology in it and why you could actually rate it higher. This match reminds me of Wolves/Black Dragon where there really isn't allot of balls to the wall(Well in the beginning anyway) but it focuses on much more then that. It's a really smart match and usually I would be pissed at somewhat no selling body work so obviously, this match had a reason for that. I end up have a hard time rating it and I pretty much gave it ****-****1/2. It's a really hard match for me to rate.

Oh and I didn't think Aries strikes were that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

I decided to watch one match as I wait to get Kurt Russellmania in the mail.

El Generico vs Jushin Lyger - Kurt Russellmania
    Some guy by the name of Kirby won a raffle to be the guest ring announcer. He's actually pretty good, really emphasizing the names. With some more practice, he could probably become a real ring announcer. Since the download only has the commentator track, it's hard to gauge how into the match the fans are. It's not until near the end that I can really hear the fans getting into the match. Sadly, Lyger is not in top form. Generico looks as if he's working his ass off to make a good match. The basic story of the match was good though. The younger Generico controlling the match, but he just can't figure out a way to beat Lyger. The final 3-5 minutes are pretty good though as both men comes close to picking up the win. Not remembering who won, the excitement was there in hoping Generico could win. Lyger reminds me a lot of Misawa in ROH. He's clearly not as good as what he once was, but that wasn't the draw of the match. The draw was just to see the legend in the small little company for a rare match. In the end, Generico proved to be a good opponent for Lyger. It's not anything to rush out and watch, but it's still enjoyable. 3 1/4 Stars.

Necro Butcher vs Super Dragon - No DQ - BOLA 2006
    A first time match that has a huge feel behind it. It's not quite as big as Joe vs Dragon, but you can tell how psyched the crowd is at seeing these two wrestle for the first time. What also makes it feel special is that it's Dragon's return to PWG after The Dynasty put him out of action at Enchantment Under the Sea.

When it comes to hardcore matches, they're probably best known for their big spots and blood. However, the most important aspect about any hardcore match in my eyes is the selling. Especially with the big spots, if you don't have the selling down, you just have a match of random weapon shots. Right off of the bat, Dragon injures Necro's right hand with a couple of chair shots. This creates both a great story and the biggest flaw of the match. At first, Necro is selling it well by always grabbing his hand. However, half in the match, he begins to forget about selling at times. There's many times he's punching with his right hand, but not selling the hand at all. Then later on, he randomly grabs it after a move that didn't even impact his hand. Ideally, there's two ways to hit punches with a bad hand. Either punch and get the surprise of remembering that you have a bad hand by punching and then instantly grabbing the hand and selling it worse than the one getting punched. The other way is to have your hatred so high that you don't care about the pain and you just keep punching the opponent. The important thing with that is showing the pain on your face by making it clear that you're in so much pain by doing this. It wouldn't hurt to hesitate between some punches, as if the pain is too much and you have to pause for a moment. Necro never does either of these things. What's the point of even having the hand injury angle and selling it early on if you're just going to give up on it?

The match reduces to just being a random weapon shot match without any real drama. They try for some big spots, but it seems as if each one is botched. Some of them are from human error (Dragon not being able to keep Necro lifted up long enough) or tables refusing to break as Dragon/Necro want them to.

I was pretty excited to see this match because much potential it had to be such a classic brawl. However, it fell very flat. The crowd at least enjoyed it. 2 1/4 Stars.

WAKE UP

Status

I didn't think Necro's selling was spotty at all. He sold the hand a lot, even when he used it for offence it was only brief flurries in a "this'll hurt you as much as me" way, and even then he didn't use it much. I also recall him switching his offence up and using other stuff in place on punches.

They only botched one spot, which was pretty bad and killed the momentum they had at a key point. That brought the match down badly for me and stopped it from being really great.

I still thought it was a great brawl though between two guys who have a "larger than life" presence to them (hence the awesome atmosphere for it). It was full of stiffness and hate and I thought all of the weapons shots were used smartly and were brutal.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

That match bored the shit out of me. The only good spots were Super Dragon double stomping on his face and the Psycho Driver on the chair but other then that, really boring match up. Probably helped if it was down to 9 minutes or so tho.
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

WAKE UP

Status

I think when it comes to Super Dragon I am just the total opposite to you guys. I hated the Steen Guerrilla Warfare match.

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I think when it comes to Super Dragon I am just the total opposite to you guys. I hated the Steen Guerrilla Warfare match.
    So you love Super Dragon in every single match except for the Steen Guerrilla Warfare match?

That's at least the opposite of how I feel.

Personally, I'm just not a big Necro fan. I watched his Giant Sized Annual #4 match against Danielson last night and felt he hurt the match, despite how much Danielson helped it.

WAKE UP

Status

Nah, there are plenty of SD matches I dislike. I am probably 50-50 on him as far as matches of his I like or dislike. Granted a lot of that is because of the PWG style.

What didn't you like about Necro in the Danielson match?

A lot of his shots looked pretty weak. He generally looked awkward at times. For example, the body slam on a chair spot. For some unknown reason, Necro walks around carrying Danielson, which gives him time to lose the chair and Danielson barely even lands on it. Granted, I do think that the story of the match was better in theory than in practice. Dragon's intensity helped it become something that's mildly worth checking out.

I imagine it could be a bit better when you watch it back to back with the Generico/Dragon match though.

WAKE UP

Status

If you're nitpicky about execution you probably won't enjoy Necro much. Saying his shots look weak is weird considering he's an infamously stiff worker, but he is very wreckless. I think it adds to his matches, though. If you will watch Necro vs Joe you will either think "he can't even bump properly, what a crappy wrestler" or you will think "FUCK he just landed on his face, he's insane".

I liked both Danielson matches from that show equally though I think the Necro match has the novelty of Danielson working a match that's more out of his element.

Necro has two types of punches from what I've seen. The "Holy shit, he just punched that guy's head off!" and "Wow, that was so fucking weak."

I'm generally not a fan of garbage wrestling, so his style alone is a strike against him. I will say that I loved his shoot, he sounds like a pretty awesome guy.

WAKE UP

Status

I'd be interested in what you think of his matches against Joe and Low Ki if you ever decide to check them out. The Ki matches are far from garbage wrestling and are more straight-up slugfests.

I do love Ki and indy Joe. If you have the links, I'll check them out.

WAKE UP

Status

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Necro's matches in IGF are usually better than his US stuff the last couple years

ಠ_ಠ

Status

I'm appaled at the fact you didn't like Super Dragon vs. Steen. I'd say it was the best match in both of their career.

It remains my favorite PWG match.

WAKE UP

Status

Thought it was painfully long for the sake of going long with a metric tonne of overkill. I mean I can understand going overboard a bit because it was a feud-ender but it went beyond the realms of believability for me. Also I don't like Steen much from that period as he comes off as an annoying "cool heel" to me who tries to get face responses at times.

I didn't care for their match from the 2nd Anny Show but I thought it was better and had a couple of cool spots and nasty bumps in it.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

To me, the match was brilliant. I loved Steen's reaction to Super Dragon kicking out of the Package Piledriver(It actually gave Dragon time to reasonably recover and you know....sell) and I was huge fan of Dragon deciding to handcuff Steen. One problem I have with hate matches is that the often feel like just epic matches instead of hate but I LOVE(I'd marry it) when Dragon has Steen beaten and can end the match easily after that CRAZY Psycho Driver through the table but decides that Steen has done him to wrong over their feud. Handcuffs the bitch and commences to beating the fuck out of him as well as giving him one more brutal Psycho Driver on some tacks. That's good quality storytelling right there.

Fuck Necro vs. Dragon.

Thread Information