Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Reviews WWE Weeklies

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: Jim Reviews WWE Weeklies

jim, everybody knows that annoying ass Bret Hart commercial because WWE have shown it non stop for the last 5 years every time bret is back, they do a history package, or now in the last year with NXT i think i've seen it four thousand times or so. GODDAMMIT

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

That commercial is DOPE still.

I'm having a hard time remembering any other "New Generation" commercials. Were there others?
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

Yeah, i have no idea about the others

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Talent View Post
    Download an emulator and that ROM and have some fun. I just did that recently.
    Eh, I've done that before, but it's not the same. Maybe it'd be different if I bought a regular controller for the PC rather than use the keyboard though.

For New Generation commercials, the main other one I remember is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfwPKhG1yfw

I seem to recall that receiving a ton of airplay during the summer '94.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Eh, I've done that before, but it's not the same. Maybe it'd be different if I bought a regular controller for the PC rather than use the keyboard though.

For New Generation commercials, the main other one I remember is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfwPKhG1yfw

I seem to recall that receiving a ton of airplay during the summer '94.
    Jesus, that one is so much better than the Bret one, and I love the Bret one.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

WCW Main Event
    August 17, 1992

Main Event hosts, Eric Bischoff and Teddy Long open up the show with a run down of some of the action we'll see tonight. The big news is that we'll see the entire Ron Simmons/Vader WCW World Title match!

Barry Windham vs Tracy Smothers
    I really dig Windham's old theme song. It's a simple theme, but it's pretty damn catchy. A short, but swell match with a lot of wrestling on the mat in the early going. Erik Watts is shown in the crowd. The commentators hype the fact that Watts will soon be making his WCW debut. We may have the beginning of a new wrestling family legacy! Yeah, a legacy of bookers pushing their untalented sons. Windham controls most of the match, but Smothers get in enough spots to keep the match from ending up being a squash. As the match goes on, we get some actual bumps with Windham hitting his nice looking snap suplex. Windham finishes Smothers off with his running lariat. A fine little match to help Windham stay strong as he and Dustin Rhodes kill some time until they can win the Unified Tag Titles again. ** 1/4

Jushin Liger vs Jimmy Garvin
    Despite this episode being taped six days prior to Great American Bash '92, the New Freebirds are now practically done with Garvin doing some jobbing in the singles division and teaming a bit with Tom Zenk. Meanwhile, Liger's tour with WCW ended at Great American Bash and he's back in New Japan until he came back to WCW for another tour at the end of the year. To say Liger left WCW at a good time would be an understatement. Bill Watts completely destroyed the WCW Light Heavyweight division especially due to the fact that he put a ban on all top rope moves. So not only can Liger not go to the top rope, but he's having to work with the useless sack of shit, Garvin. Garvin gets in too much offense for my liking, but Liger keeps me sorta interested thanks to his awesome rolling Koppo kick. Liger wins after a middle rope moonsault. Ugh. Thank god they were quick to remove that stupid rule. **

In the WCW Magazine Control Center, Eric Bischoff shows highlights of a recent WCW Saturday Night TV Title match between Steve Austin and Ricky Steamboat. While distracting the referee, Paul E. Dangerously threw a pair of brass knuckles into the ring. Instead of Austin using them, Steamboat is the first to reach them. He knocks Austin out and apparently wins the TV Title. After the match, the referee found the foreign object on Steamboat and reversed his decision. Austin survives another day as WCW TV Champion, but the feud with Steamboat must continue.

Miracle Violence Connection vs Marcus Alexander Bagwell and Big Josh
    Gordy and Death are the current Unified Tag Team Champions. Big Josh is Matt Borne, during an underrated period from his career. I'm fairly sure this is Big Josh's final televised match for WCW. Borne would resurface in the WWE as Doink by late December '92. Death and Big Josh had an even contest with Gordy trying to get in some shots whenever Big Josh came near him. Big Josh made the mistake of going after Gordy, which allowed the champions to double team Big Josh to gain the advantage. We get some Big Josh face-in-peril work before he tags out to Bagwell. Big mistake as it doesn't take much effort for MVC to double team Bagwell while the referee is trying to get Big Josh out of the ring. Death lifts Bagwell up and helps place him on Gordy's shoulders. Gordy dives off of the middle rope, giving Bagwell a Davey Boy Smith style power slam. That gives the champions the win. Good match even if it was fairly one sided. ** 3/4

In the WCW Magazine Control Center, Eric Bischoff describes the recent happening in the WCW tag team division. MVC has paid off the Dangerous Alliance's Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton to injure the Steiner Brothers so that they don't have to defend the belts against the Steiners. In an interview with Paul E. Dangerous, Anderson and Eaton, the angle becomes even more interesting. Anderson talks about how they're going to get paid first (By WCW) because they're wrestling the Steiners. Then they're going to get paid again (By MVC) when they injure the Steiners. But, once they injure the Steiners, there will be no one else standing in their way from getting a title shot of their own. Unfortunately, I don't believe any of those MVC vs Dangerous Alliance matches aired on television. Shame, it sounds great.

In the studio, Bischoff and Long describes the events that led to the Simmons/Vader match. It was originally scheduled to be Sting vs Vader, but Sting was injured by the debuting Jake Roberts after a scramble following a recent Rick Rude vs Nikita Koloff match. To find a new challenger for Vader, Bill Watts held a random drawing with eight different WCW wrestlers. The only other name I'm aware of that was in the drawing was Rude. Naturally, Simmons won.

Vader (c) w/Harley Race vs Ron Simmons - WCW World Title
    The atmosphere for this match was great. It's as if the fans could tell that they were about to witness history. The crowd is loud and they react to all of the new fans. Vader controlled the majority of the match, completely pummeling Simmons with punches or using his weight. For Simmons, he keeps kicking out of everything Vader throws at him and manages to get in a few nearfalls of his own. While I'm not a fan of Simmons' work post-Doom, this was a rare good match from him. Finally, Simmons counters a Vader power bomb attempt by slipping behind Vader. Vader hit the ropes, but it surprised with a power slam. One three count later and Ron Simmons is your NEW WCW World Champion. The fans are going crazy and fellow babyfaces Barry Windham, Dustin Rhodes, Brian Pillman, Tom Zenk and Van Hammer all come out to the ring to celebrate with Simmons. Not only is it the biggest WCW moment of 1992, it's the defining moment of Ron Simmons' entire wrestling career. Sadly, his subsequent title reign did not live up to expectations and was a pretty massive let down. The start of the reign was great though. *** 1/4

Van Hammer vs Eric Davidson
    This totally feels like the final match of an old episode of Saturday Night's Main Event where you'd book one lowcarder against someone of equal or lesser value in a super short match that no one cares about. Davidson looks a bit like Curtis Axel if Axel completely let himself go. Van Hammer botches a back body drop so badly that it looked closer to a spinebuster than a back body drop. Luckily, before Davidson can be injured by Van Hammer, he's pinned following a slingshot suplex. SQUASH.

Back in the WCW Magazine Control Center, Eric Bischoff shows a music video featuring highlights of Johnny B. Badd in action.

Overall
    Man, I love WCW in 1992. Even with Bill Watts now booking and slowly killing off everything that made WCW great during the amazing Kip Frey era, there was still enough great things to love about the company. Obviously, the appeal of watching this episode is to see the historic WCW World Title change with Simmons creating one of the biggest moments in black wrestling history. The rest of the show isn't bad though. I really dug the MVC tag match, it's always fun seeing Liger in action and tag team titles angle was the most interesting thing going on in WCW at this moment in time. If you have the WWE Network, check out this edition of the Main Event, however; stop the show after the WCW World Title match. There's no need to subject yourself to a Van Hammer squash.

Mid-Atlantic Wrestling
    July 13, 1983

We open up the show with the first match already in action.

Mike Rotundo vs Golden Boy Grey
    Jerry Grey was an old territories wrestler that found some mild success in Florida and Portland. Rotundo is just a few months off of being NWA TV Champion. The match is mostly just a ground based affair with a long headlock spot with Rotundo in easy control. Grey doesn't get enough time on offense to leave much of an impression on me. Rotundo wins after his airplane spin finisher. With the match being fairly short and joined in action, it's too tough to give it a star rating. The action looked fine though. Not Rated.

We're shown highlights of a recent Briscos match where the one Brisco had a wrestler in a Figure Four and the other dived off of the top rope and knee dropped the leg of the opponent, in an attempt to break his leg. Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood rushed out to make the save for the young opponents.

The NWA Tag Team Champions, the Briscos, come out for their match, but are quickly confronted by Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood. Randomly, Bob Orton Jr. joins the commentary to explain that Steamboat and Youngblood have bought out the contracts of the jobbers that were originally scheduled for the tag match. With that, Orton leaves. Thanks for the info, Random Orton.

The Briscos (c) vs Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood - NWA Tag Titles
    If you enjoyed their Starrcade '83 match, this one is worth watching as well. The crowd is super hot for the match as the babyfaces get the best of the champions in the early going. With all four men wearing red trunks, the only difference is that the faces are wearing red knee pads and white boots while the champions aren't wearing knee pads and are rocking black boots. The champions finally take over and it's time for a long face-in-peril sequence with what Steamboat does best. There's a lot of emotion every time Steamboat fires back. Once he does get the hot tag, the crowd explodes and things only get better from there. Youngblood locks one of the Briscos in the Indian Death Lock, but while the referee is trying to get Steamboat out of the ring, the other Brisco (Jack I believe), jumps off of the top rope and lands a knee drop on Youngblood's exposed mid section. Youngblood howls in pain as Steamboat rushes in to check on his partner and the champions bail. The match ends without a clear ruling of the official result. Maybe it's referee stoppage due to the injury, a draw or the champions were counted out. I don't know, but it doesn't matter. The match was great and there were a ton of emotion. This may be over thirty years old, but once it was over, I wanted to re-watch the Starrcade '83 match to see Youngblood and Steamboat get their revenge. Awesome free TV match. ***

Greg Valentine vs Bret Hart
    Valentine is the current NWA US Champion. Bret Hart is actually the name of a young Barry Horowitz, before he grew his beard and began going by his real name. Total squash with Valentine working over the arm some. Horowitz got in a brief flurry of offense with a series of European Uppercuts. Valentine won with an elbow smash off of the ropes. SQUASH.

Gary Hart cuts a promo regarding his client - The Great Kabuki. Hart claims that anyone who ever came to America has become soft due to the luxuries of the American lifestyle. What makes Kabuki so dangerous is that he deprives himself of all of those privileges to keep an edge about himself. It's an interesting concept for a foreign wrestler.

The Great Kabuki w/Gary Hart vs Keith Larson
    The extent of my knowledge of Larson is that I know he worked Starrcade '84. Another squash with Kabuki getting in a lot of kicks. Kabuki kills time with a Cravate. Larson escapes out of it and nails a drop kick for a rare offensive move. Kabuki wins after he dived off of the middle rope and punched Larson in the throat. I always like seeing a little Kabuki. SQUASH.

Interview time. First up is Rufus R. Jones. Jones is psyched about his upcoming $100,000 challenge match against Dory Funk Jr. Jones wants to win because that money means he can hang out with a bunch of women. Jones is loaded with personality and charisma. I've seen very, very little of Jones, but I love him. Up next is Roddy Piper. He's no longer going to wear tape on his ear because it's a clear target for Greg Valentine. Sooner or later, he's going to get to wrestle Valentine again, despite all of Valentine's attempts at ducking him. Finally, NWA World Champion, Harley Race, places a $25,000 bounty on the head of Ric Flair. A crazed Race begs anyone to take the money. He wants Flair out of wrestling. TAKE THE MONEY!!!!

Bob Orton Jr. vs Joel Deaton
    Heh, speaking of the $25,000 bounty, it's one of the two men that would end up collecting it, everyone's favorite explainer of what's going on in matches, Bob Orton Jr. Deaton would eventually become one half of the masked Thunderfoot tag team. He competed as Thunderfoot at Starrcade '85, in a victory over The Italian Stallion. Deaton is pretty thin and lanky. He looks more like a runner than someone who would wrestle. Again, a short squash with Orton eventually winning with his superplex. SQUASH.

Ric Flair comes in for an interview and he knows that Race only placed a bounty on his head because Race is scared of him. Ricky Steamboat bursts in and cuts a passionate promo about how he's never seen Youngblood in so much pain. HE'S LOST HIS PARTNER!!!! Flair interjects and announces that if Steamboat needs a partner, HE'LL be his partner. WOOOO. Watch out Briscos, Flair and Steamboat are coming for you! If this was taped for television, I would love to see the match.

Dory Funk Jr. w/Paul Jones vs Rufus R. Jones - $100,000 Challenge
    Funk, the current NWA Mid-Atlantic Champion, bet $100,000 of his own money that Jones couldn't beat him. As colorful of a personality as Jones has, he's not exactly good in the ring. He kills time by holding the arm for awhile while dancing around and having some fun. Funk looks to have the match won, but after the three, the referee waves off the result due to apparently seeing Paul Jones help Funk with the pin. During the confusion, Rufus is able to get a small package on Funk to win the match and the money. BRING ON THE BITCHES~! Not good, but I do really dig Rufus as a character. * 3/4

After the match, Jake Roberts runs out and attacks Rufus. He's joined by Dory and Paul Jones. Bob Orton Jr., who was apparently a babyface at this time, ran in for the save. We get a big brawl before the heels take over after Dory pulled one of Jake's boots off of his feet and used it to clobber Orton. The post-match angle was so much more entertaining than the actual match. I imagine this set-up an Orton/Rufus vs Jake/Dory match at some point.

The Assassins are out for an interview, but Paul Jones and Jake Roberts interrupt it before the interview can begin. Jones claims Rufus cheated to win, so he won't get Dory's money. Jones rips up the $100,000 check. Once Jones and Roberts leave, The Assassin #1 cuts an awful promo hyping the tag division in the Mid-Atlantic area as being the best and how the Assassins are going to be gunning after the tag titles. There's zero believability in his promo.

Overall
    The entire reason why this episode of Mid-Atlantic Wrestling was added to the WWE Network for Black History Month is because of the Rufus R. Jones match and angle. In reality, the real reason to watch the show is the great Briscos vs Steamboat/Youngblood match and angle. Beyond that, you also have the start of the major Race/Flair angle built around the bounty. That angle would lead directly into Starrcade. In fact, most of Starrcade 1983's big matches were showcased here with Flair/Race, Briscos/Steamboat and Youngblood, Piper/Valentine and even the Paul Jones led team of The Assassins vs Rufus R. Jones and Bugsy McGraw. There are a good deal of squashes, so it's not necessary to watch the full show. That tag match angle though...fantastic.

Going through my burned DVD's, I came across a random disc with a bunch of Shotgun Saturday Nights on it. One folder on the data disc had January 1997, which makes sense since Shotgun in the beginning was a truly unique show. However, I also had May 1998 on the disc. That's...random. Why I would download and burn Shotgun from May 1998? Who knows. Anyways, if you're not familiar with Shotgun Saturday Night, it began at the start of 1997 as an attempt to do something completely different while giving it a far greater edge to it than any of the other shows had at the time. To some extent, it was an Attitude Era show before the Attitude Era officially began. While Shotgun did get promoted heavily that first month, it didn't take long before the WWE emphasized it less and less. Raw going to two hours and changing it's name to Raw is War forced Shotgun to lose it's edge and become just a normal B show. They stopped running shows in unique places like bars and were now being taped before Raw is War. At some point, the name was shortened to just Shotgun. It's worth noting that with the exception of Smackdown, every new B WWE show since the 90's ended up with a similar fate. Whether it's Shotgun, HEAT, Action Zone, Velocity, the return of Superstars or Main Event, the WWE will care about it for a few weeks and then they stop abruptly.

So, let's see what the insignificant show of Shotgun was doing back in May 1998, a couple of months before it became further insignificant thanks to the creation of Sunday Night Heat.

WWE Shotgun
    May 2, 1998

Marc Mero vs Ricky Morton
    Hey, it's Ricky Morton working a singles match. This is literally the only Morton WWE singles match. In fact, it's his final WWE match too. This was surprisingly decent with Mero putting in a little more effort than usual with a greater amount of fast pace moves similar to his Johnny B. Badd days than heel Mero. Morton is far past his prime, but other than being slower than he used to be, he is still capable of being an entertaining babyface. Morton puts up a far better fight than I imagined he would have before Mero surprised him with a TKO. Clocking in at five and a half minutes, it was actually longer than every match except for the main event on the last edition of Raw. I can dig this. ** 1/4

We head to the WWE studio for an edition of Slam Jam, a short little segment with Dok Hendrix. Hendrix goes over some of the results of last Sunday's Unforgiven. We're shown a clip of Jeff Jarrett singing at the PPV and Steve Blackman coming out to attack him. Tennessee Lee helped out his man which allowed Jarrett to lock in the Figure Four on Blackman. While it's not announced yet, this incident would set up a PPV match between Blackman and Jarrett at Over the Edge '98.

In the back, Kevin Kelly interviews the manager of Club Kamikaze, Yamaguchi-San, Yamaguchi-San berates Kelly and declares that since World War 2 was fifty years ago, Club Kamikaze was a stupid name. From now on, his trio will be known as Kaientai. Yamaguchi-San then slaps Kelly and Kaientai removes their Club Kamikaze hand bands.

Too Much w/Jerry Lawler vs Matt Hardy and Jason Arhndt
    Arhndt is future Mean Street Posse member, Joey Abs. This match completely surprised me as I expected it to be a total squash for the lowcard/jobber dream team of Too Much. Instead, Hardy and Arhndt got in a lot of offense. Hardy, Arhndt and Taylor all put in a lot of effort in hitting a lot of flashy moves. When it comes to an insignificant match like this, there isn't anything wrong with concentrating more on SPOTZ than trying to tell a story. After all, it's all about trying to stand out some. As the match went on, I actually started to believe that Hardy and Arhndt would pick up the minor upset. It wasn't to be after the referee is distracted trying to get Hardy out of the ring, that allowed Christopher to nail the Tennessee Jam on Arhndt during an Arhndt cover on Taylor. Hardy was clearly head and shoulders above the normal WWE jobber at this point. This was even slightly longer than the opening match. Yay. ** 1/2

After the match, Lawler interviews Christopher. The future Grandmaster Sexay talks about how difficult it was to find a partner as good looking as himself, but he finally found one in Scott "Too Hot" Taylor.

Order your copy of Wrestlemania 14 on VHS today! For the low, low price of only $44.99 (Plus $9.99 shipping and handling) you'll also receive a free life size poster of Stone Cold Steve Austin! That's kind of expensive, yo.

We're shown portions of the New Age Outlaws/D.O.A. match from Raw. D.O.A. surprised the world by defeating the champions in a non-title match. D.O.A. then challenges the Outlaws to a rematch for the belts on the next episode of Raw.

D-Lo Brown vs Steve Blackman
    Hey, a match big enough to deserve to be booked on Raw. Blackman has been feuding with the Nation since the start of the year, but he's recently moved into a new feud against Jeff Jarrett. Brown managed to get in a lot of offense. This was during the extended time period where every WWE commentator loved to claim that D-Lo was the most underrated guy on the roster and a future champion. With all of these constant praises for D-Lo, I have to wonder if McMahon actually thought he'd be a major star or if it was just a cheap way to establish the fact that D-Lo is now a normal midcarder wrestler (Compared to his Nation lackey days in 96 and 97) without giving him many wins. D-Lo is entertaining though. He caught Blackman by surprise with a yet unnamed Sky High. Blackman would make a short comeback and surprise D-Lo by countering a Samoan Drop into a crucifix for the pinfall. Yet another match that went around that five and a half minutes range. I can enjoy that. **

Dok Hendrix is back for another Slam Jam. He talks about the Nation vs Shamrock, Blackman and Faarooq match from Unforgiven. We hear comments from the Rock calling Faarooq and old man. Dok Hendrix would love to see The Rock vs Faarooq at Over the Edge.

We're shown a portion of the Steve Austin/Goldust match from Raw.

LOD 2000 w/Sunny vs Los Boricuas w/Savio Vega
    Representing Los Boricuas are Jose Estrada Jr. (The normal non-hairy one) and Jesús Castillo (The tiny one). The commentators bring up the question of how LOD 2000 must feel knowing that D.O.A. are getting the next tag titles shots on the next episode of Raw while LOD had the controversial match with the Outlaws at Unforgiven '98, this past Sunday. In fact, the LOD/D.O.A. feud was about to begin with the two teams battling at Over the Edge '98. This was slightly shorter than the other matches on this show. The unover Los Boricuas had a short heat sequence on Hawk before LOD decided to get back on offense. The uneventfulness (Is that even a word?) of this match is capped off not with the Doomsday Device, but simply with Animal catching Jose in the air and dropping him with a power bomb. Meh. * 3/4

Overall
    Hey, this was kind of fun. The biggest drawbacks are the lack of star power and the fact that nothing important will ever happen on Shotgun. The biggest happening on the show was the announcement that Club Kamikaze were now to be known as Kaientai. It's hardly a big deal. However, in comparing this episode to the 1998 Raw's I've already reviewed, this show fixes a lot of the issues I had with Raw. Part of the reason why I stopped watching '98 Raws is because the extremely short matches often had fuck finishes. Look at the most recent episode of Raw (April 27th) - you had two no contests, two DQ's and only two actual pinfall results, one of which was just a squash that lasted under a minute. To some extent, I think Shotgun may have aged better than these Raw's because Shotgun was just a stripped down by the numbers wrestling show. You got to see four matches, all of which received a decent amount of time and every single one had a proper finish. It's pretty similar to watching a show like Superstars in 2015. You know the show is meaningless, but the low frills show is free of BS and gives you some simple wrestling and a spotlight on some of the undercarders that do not get that sort of time on Raw. An Attitude Era show without the overwhelming presence of Vince Russo. Sounds good to me.

WWE Shotgun
    May 9, 1998

Scott Taylor w/Brian Christopher vs Papi Chulo
    Like last week's announcement of the Kaientai name change, Shotgun is one again the scene for a big angle development that is ultimately rather insignificant to the rest of the WWE. This is the debut of the Papi Chulo gimmick. Chulo is the maskless Aguila, who had been with the WWE since Nov '97 and is best known for wrestling TAKA at Wrestlemania 14. This gimmick change has Vince Russo written all over it because you remove the mask of a Mexican wrestler (Pfft...like anyone cares about dem foreigners!) and you give him a name that is Spanish for Pimp Daddy. Naturally, the commentators are instructed to bring that up every time Chulo had a match. I'm sure that's the sole reason why the gimmick change even happened. The gimmick would last nearly two years before Chulo would be given a third gimmick of Essa Rios, who I imagine he's best known as. Anyways, this was good. I don't think many people realize how talented of a worker Taylor was before he became a character wrestler. Chulo does his typical flying around including an awesome senton over the turnbuckle to the floor in a spot that you see frequently these days on the indies thanks to guys like Ricochet and Rich Swann. After a failed attempt of Christopher interference, Chulo picked up the surprise pinfall with the victory roll. Good stuff. ** 1/4

A sign of the times, in the previous match, Kevin Kelly noted that he's heard that some people are now ordering their WWE tickets online.

It's time for a Slam Jam segment with the former Freebird. Dok goes over some of the matches already signed for Over the Edge. One such match will be The Rock defending the IC Title against Faarooq. We cut to Faarooq and he completely stumbles over a terrible promo.

D-Lo Brown and Kama w/Mark Henry vs Bob Starr and John Crystal
    With his amazing red mullet, Bob Starr is a pretty memorable jobber. Once you see that magnificent hair, you'll remember him the next time you spot him. It was just a few days ago that I was scanning through a WCW 1995 show to get to a match and I spotted a guy with a red mullet. Once this match came up, I instantly remembered that majestic red mullet. Anyways, this is very early in Kama's transformation into The Godfather. At this point the Godfather is just a nickname of Kama. The commentators spend the match talking about the recent Nation developments with Owen Hart joining the group and being named a co-leader along with The Rock. All of this is designed to transition the Owen/Triple H feud into a bigger Nation vs DX program. Again, the commentators praise D-Lo and talk about how he's the most underrated guy around. The jobbers were easily beaten with D-Lo scoring the pinfall with his Low Down, which the commentators piss themselves due to the fact that D-Lo slightly turned his body in mid air. SQUASH.

We're shown a Sable training montage as she preps for her public confrontation with Marc Mero. Take a shot for every time the montage cuts to Sable's cleavage and you'll be drunk off of your ass.

Taka Michinoku vs David Jericho
    Oh shit, this has some serious potential. Jericho is the jobber name for the future Kid Kash. Taka's the current Light Heavyweight Champion, but the title isn't on the line. Jericho impresses a lot with his willingness to take some risks. While Taka did control the early going, the jobber got in plenty of offense of his own. The moment that really won me over was when Jericho countered a Michinoku Driver into a double underhook piledriver for the nearfall. With this being a non-title match. I legitimately believed Jericho was going to score the upset. That only got Jericho a two count though. Jericho then missed a top rope splash, allowing Taka to finish him off with the Michinoku Driver. Had they been serious about the Light Heavyweight Title, Kid Kash could have fit in very nicely in the WWE for '98. ** 3/4

After the match, Kaientai runs out and attack Taka. Michinoku is eventually saved by Bradshaw to add a little more heat to their upcoming Over the Edge three-on-two handicap match.

In a Slam Jam segment, Dok looks at the upcoming Kane vs Vader match booked for Over the Edge. We're shown clips of the match at No Way Out of Texas. At Over the Edge, the loser will have to unmask!

Purchase your copy of No Way Out of Texas on VHS at your local video tape store.

We're shown clips of the Mick Foley/Terry Funk match from Raw and the attack by Steve Austin afterward. Mick Foley has been named the #1 contender to the WWE World Title and Steve Austin will be defending the title at Over the Edge, but the match has not been signed yet.

We're then shown one of the best Attitude Era ads.

After all of these years, I still think it's one of the best videos the WWE ever put together.

Another sign of the times: they actually advertised the upcoming UFC PPV during a match. Try finding that on a WWE weekly these days.

The New Midnight Express vs The Headbangers
    MX are the NWA Tag Champions, but the belts aren't on the line here. MX had actually defeated the Headbangers for the titles back on the March 30th edition of Raw. There wasn't anything extraordinary here, but it's fine nonetheless. Thrasher played the face-in-peril for awhile while Gunn and Holly did their best to imitate a good heel team. They're not successful, but they try. Headbangers have the match won with the Stage Dive, but Holly gave Thrasher a top rope elbow during a Thrasher pin attempt. While Mosh chased Holly out of the ring, Gunn was able to throw an arm over Thrasher to win. By this point, it's clear that the new MX has been a dud and they wouldn't survive for much longer. A couple of months longer tops. **

After the match, the Headbangers get in a little bit of revenge.

Overall
    Another fun edition of Shotgun. The best aspect of the show had to be the surprise Kid Kash appearance. Unlike the debut of Papi Chulo, Kash would only be brought in for a few Shotgun tapings before he'd vanish again. It was probably for the best though. The WWE made it clear from practically day 1 that they weren't going to put any effort into their Light Heavyweight division. Once Kash became a full time star in ECW in 1999, he received plenty of attention thanks to his Kid Rock based character. Had he scored a contract with the WWE, he likely would have been wasted on these meaningless shows serving the role of a jobber. As last week had the Kaientai name change, this week had an extremely minor event happen with the debut of Papi Chulo. Prove that Kash lucked out when he wasn't signed by the WWE, Papi Chulo wouldn't do a single thing as that character. I wonder if Essa Rios would have fared better in WCW. WCW were overloaded with luchadores at the time, but Chulo probably could have got on PPV a few times in the lucha spotfests. The other two matches weren't bad, but it's becoming clear that Shotgun was all about the floundering Light Heavyweight division.
    Last edited by Jim; 03-09-2015 at 10:08 PM.

Superstars
    August 29, 1992

We open up with highlights from the Randy Savage/Ultimate Warrior vs The Nasty Boys match from Primetime Wrestling. Warrior and Savage couldn't get along as they head into their Summerslam '92 World Title match.

Vince McMahon welcomes us to the show with more talk of the Warrior/Savage match that will be taking place tomorrow night. Since this is a Sky Sports version of Superstars, McMahon mentions that since there will not be a live telecast of the show in England, instead, anyone in England without tickets, can stay home and watch the Summerslam Spectacular, an event where you will see the entire Savage/Warrior vs Nasty Boys match.

Ric Flair w/Mr. Perfect vs Joey Maggs
    Seems like the sort of match you'd see on WCW Pro back in 1996. Short squash with Flair dominating with Perfect getting in some shots and distraction Maggs simply to help his man beat Maggs in an even quicker fashion. Flair forces Maggs to submit to the Figure Four. All during the match, McMahon continued to discuss the big Summerslam main event with Savage/Warrior. During Flair's entrance, I spotted a kid sporting a Flair t-shirt. I never knew the WWF made any Flair shirts during his first run with the company. SQUASH.

Up next are two different promos from The Ultimate Warrior and Randy Savage. In the promos, they both discuss three separate incidents. The first was an interview segment where Savage granted Warrior a World Title shot that ended with Flair and Perfect calling Savage out to the ring. Perfect and Flair double teamed Savage until Warrior made the save. The second incident was an interview segment with Flair and Warrior with Flair dropping the bombshell that Savage had met up with Flair and Perfect to strike a deal to have Perfect in his corner at Summerslam. The third was the finish to the Warrior/Savage vs Nasty Boys match where Savage was attacked by the Nasty Boys and Warrior by Flair and Perfect. Got it? Good.

In the first promo, Warrior believes the first incident was all a set-up to try and lure Warrior into trusting Savage. Warrior knows Savage allowed himself to get beat up by Perfect and Flair. In the second incident, Warrior trusts Flair in his claim that Savage struck a deal with Mr. Perfect. In the third incident, Warrior was left all by himself with Savage allowing Warrior to be doubled teamed by a chair swinging Perfect and Flair. Warrior is 100% confident that Savage has sold out.

In the second promo, Savage believes Warrior's save came off pretty questionable. Warrior's punch didn't even look like it connected with Flair and despite holding a chair, Perfect was so scared of Warrior that he just ran off? In the second incident, Savage finds it pretty curious that the first news of someone selling out and striking a deal with Perfect was when Warrior was out there. In the third incident, Savage knows Warrior allowed Perfect and Flair to work him order to sell the con that he didn't sell out all while Savage was being pummeled by The Nasty Boys. None of it matters because Savage will retain his World Title at Summerslam! I LOVED this alternate perspectives of the three incidents. The Warrior punch of Flair is particularly great since it works on all levels. Here are the options for what really happened with the punch: A) Warrior didn't fully connect with the punch since he's in cahoots with Flair and Perfect B) The punch is legit and Savage is just paranoid or C) Flair avoided the punch while acting as if he was hit in order to make Savage falsely believe Warrior pulled the punch, which works really well in the whole "Wrestling is fake and Warrior can't even make the punch look good" aspect too. It all works in kayfabe and shoot!

Tatanka vs Pat Rose
    How's this for something random? For Fourth of July 2007, WWE.com posted a "Where Are They Now?" for jobber Pat Rose. In case you're wondering, Rose still has a little radio show/podcast about fishing that's still active to this day. Head over to setthehookwithpatrose.com and tell him Jim sent you! Okay, don't do that. He has no idea who I am. During the squash, McMahon talks about Summerslam and Summerslam Spectacular hyping the fact that at the latter show, Mr. Fuji managed his former client, Kato, against Tatanka. In that match, Tatanka gave Fuji a tomahawk chop to further add head to the Summerslam bout of Tatanka vs Fuji's The Berzerker. We also get a clarification about Summerslam being shown on TV in the UK. It will be shown on Sky Sports, but on a tape delay. So if you don't have tickets to Summerslam, stay home Monday and watch Summerslam Spectacular on Sky Sports and immediately after that show is finished, Summerslam '92 will be shown! Tatanka won with the Papoose To Go. Hopefully Rose has more success fishing than he does wrestling. SQUASH.

It's the Event Center with Sean Mooney. Mooney hypes the upcoming UK leg of the European Tour, taking place in late September and early October. We get comments from two of the wrestlers on the England shows - Rick Martel and Tito Santana. Since neither guy knows who their opponent will be, they just cut a generic promo. Looking at the results of the European shows, the two big matches are Ric Flair defending the WWE World Title against Randy Savage and Bret Hart. Also on the show is the short lived Road Warriors variation of Animal and Crush.

Kamala w/Kim Chee and Harvey Wippleman vs Jeff Daniels
    Daniels is the lesser known brother of Jack. Naturally, commentators McMahon and Mr. Perfect spend the match hyping up the Kamala/Taker match for Summerslam. McMahon again repeats the fact that Summerslam will not be shown live in the UK and instead fans will be able to watch Summerslam Spectacular while they wait for the PPV to be shown. We get an insert promo from Wippleman promising that Taker will be carried out of Wembley Stadium in a bodybag and that Paul Bearer will be able to carry Taker around in his urn. Kamala hits a 747 Splash, but tries to pin Daniels while he's on his stomach. Unlike some of the worst Divas, this is all part of Kamala's gimmick and not a gigantic botch. Kamala eventually figures it out and wins. SQUASH.

Sean Mooney is back with another Event Center special regarding the upcoming European Tour, this time focusing on the shows from Germany. There's a bunch of those shows. Same cards as the English shows though with everyone swapping to come up with a couple of different cards. For the main event, it's Ric Flair vs either Randy Savage or Bret Hart. If you're not wrestling Flair, you're wrestling Papa Shango. There's three tag team matches with one face team (Natural Disasters, Animal/Crush, and Bushwhackers) vs one heel team (Money Inc, Beverly Brothers, and Kato/Skinner). Lastly, there's a couple of opening matches with Rick Martel either facing Tito Santana or Virgil. The one who doesn't face Martel wrestles The Genius. If you were in the US, the touring group had a double main event of British Bulldog defending the IC Title against Shawn Michaels and a six man tag of Ultimate Warrior, Big Boss Man and The Undertaker vs the "Special" team of Razor Ramon, Kamala and Nailz. Jeff Jarrett also worked a series of try-out matches at those US shows, a year before he'd make his WWE debut.

We're shown highlights from last week's episode of Superstars where it appeared as if Papa Shango put a voodoo curse on Bret Hart.

Bret Hart vs Louie Spicolli
    Hey, it's Spicolli. While it wasn't played up at Summerslam, the commentators spend some time talking about the Papa Shango curse and how Mr. Perfect believes Hart will lose the IC Title to the British Bulldog as a result. The rest of the time is spent talking about the family drama caused by booking brother-in-law vs brother-in-law. McMahon claims Bruce Hart believes Bret has always had a big ego and is siding with Bulldog. We get an insert promo from The Hitman where he voices his hope that once this is all over, the family will be reunited again. Hart wins after forcing Spicolli to submit to the Sharpshooter. SQUASH.

It's the Summerslam Report with Mean Gene where he previews the big matches at Summerslam. We hear comments from The Undertaker, Paul Bearer, and The Legion of Doom. Mean Gene thinks it's suspicious that during the entire Warrior/Savage issue of both men claiming the other sold out, neither has denied the fact. Just for sheer lolz, imagine if Warrior and Savage had both worked out a deal with Mr. Perfect.

Rick Martel vs Justin Taylor
    Taylor looks a good deal like early 90's Dustin Rhodes, complete with the rat tail, cowboy boots and being a bit chubby. We get an insert promo from Sherri talking about how both Martel and Shawn Michaels agreed not to punch each other to ensure that both of their beautiful faces remain beautiful. The whole TV time schedule for Summerslam in the UK gets even more confusing as McMahon now claims that Summerslam Spectacular will be airing the next day at the same time Summerslam '92 is taking place and that the PPV will be shown on Sky Sports the NEXT day. I'm so confused. Martel wins with the Boston Crab with Taylor not getting in any offense. SQUASH.

Overall
    This week was all about Summerslam as the main match of Warrior vs Savage gets a bunch of attention while Bret/Bulldog, Taker/Kamala, and Martel/Michaels brings in some attention as well. For me though, this episode will forever be known about the confusion regarding Summerslam. It gets so complicated not just because this Sky Sports telecast hypes the actual show and it's later telecast, but it's the American version of the show with a couple of edits by McMahon to explain things to the UK viewers. This show aired in the US on Aug 29th, but that was the same night that Summerslam '92 actually took place. So I guess the Sky Sports version of the show technically aired the day before on Aug 28th? Then there's all of the confusion regarding Summerslam Spectacular, which sometimes McMahon called the Summerslam Special. In the US, that aired a full week before Summerslam, but in the UK, it aired at the same time as when the PPV was actually taking place. It's a mindfuck trying to keep it all straight especially when you understand it differently every time McMahon hypes the shows. It's all fun though. Even with all of the matches being meaningless squashes, it's always nice to watch some of these old weeklies to be reminded of some of these smaller details that may not be mentioned on the PPV's or SNME's.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

Summerslam didn't air live in the UK, it also aired on the 31st(August Bank Holiday in the UK) here.

Superstars
    September 5, 1992

The show kicks off with a long look at the final three matches from Summerslam. The highlights for Warrior vs Savage lasted six whole minutes! The highlights for Kamala/Taker and Bulldog/Bret was far more brief. You can pick up Summerslam '92 on Coliseum Home Video on September 24th!

The Legion of Doom w/Paul Ellering vs Gary Jackson and Jerry Stevens
    A bit of a newsworthy match. With Hawk leaving the WWE immediately after Summerslam, all the WWE had left of the Road Warriors were the matches taped prior to the PPV. This would be the final Road Warriors match shown on WWE TV until their return in early 1997. Great entrance by the Road Warriors as one of the jobbers made the mistake of hanging out in the corner where Hawk normally does his signature pose. As a result, Hawk pummeled the poor sap and then climbed the ropes to pose as if nothing happened. Quick squash with LOD eating the jobbers alive and winning with the Doomsday Device. Ellering doing the ventriloquist act makes me sad. SQUASH.

Vince McMahon shills ICOPRO. It's totally not steroids and all of our totally clean wrestlers are using it. Want a body like the totally clean British Bulldog or Ultimate Warrior? Get some ICOPRO~!

In the Event Center, Sean Mooney hypes the Boston Garden show that will be taking place on October 3rd. On the show, we'll see The British Bulldog defending his newly won IC Title against Shawn Michaels and a six man match featuring Razor Ramon, Kamala and Nailz vs The Ultimate Warrior, The Undertaker and The Big Boss Man. We hear comments from the heel trio. It's all standard stuff until it's Razor's turn to say a few things about Warrior. As soon as Ramon begins to speak, Kamala starts bellowing and moaning. I can't even hear Razor, but I love it because it's hilarious. Razor, Nailz and Kamala has to be one of the most random trios in WWE history. In addition, the Boston Garden show will also feature Tatanka vs The Mountie. Tatanka cuts a quick promo vowing revenge after the Mountie claimed there were never any great Native American leaders. The Mountie would end up quitting the WWE before the end of October.

Nailz vs Tommy Stevenson
    Nailz loves to choke. The match began with Nailz charging at Stevenson with a choke and ended after Stevenson apparently gave up after locked in another choke. Choke, choke, choke, choke. The commentators hype the Nailz/Boss Man feud. SQUASH.

After the match, Nailz grabs The Big Boss Man's nightstick and...chokes Stevenson. Say what you will about Nailz, but he is consistent.

Back to the Event Center with Sean Mooney to hype the Boston Garden show for October 3rd. Also on the show is High Energy vs The Nasty Boys. We hear comments from High Energy where Owen and Koko calls The Nasty Boys fat boys several times. I don't know if Koko has room to call others fat. We then hear from Jimmy Hart and The Nasty Boys. They promise to clip the wings of Koko and drown Owen. We then hear from the Mountie regarding his match with Tatanka. Mountie: "Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the greatest Indian of them all? *Shrugs* There isn't any~! *Laughs hysterically*

Crush vs Kato
    It's the battle of the former Mr. Fuji clients~! Crush cut an insert promo where he mentions that not many people knows that he's actually from Hawaii. Bitch, that's all we ever knew about the Kona Crush character! There's some fun spots like the tilt-a-whirl backbreaker before Crush finished off the now JTTS with his Cranium Crunch submission hold. This is it for Kato. Paul Diamond originally debuted the character on TV back in December '90. The next time we see Diamond working a TV match, it'll be as Max Moon. SQUASH.

The Mountie w/Jimmy Hart vs Ken Wayne
    During his entrance, The Mountie grabbed the mic to sing along with his theme song. The Mountie mattered so little at this point that the commentators ignored the match so that McMahon can give Mr. Perfect a hard time, acting as if Ric Flair is a failure and will never succeed again. Perfect promises that they always have a Plan B. Mountie wins with a piledriver. After the match, The Mountie grabbed the mic again to continue singing along with his song. SQUASH.

We're shown a backstage promo on the video screen by Razor Ramon. Randy Savage may have retained the World Title at Summerslam, but Razor's going to get Savage. Mr. Perfect seems really impressed with Razor "Plan B" Ramon.

Virgil vs Barry Horowitz
    Did you know the WWE made a Virgil t-shirt and at least one person bought it? Go figure. For a squash match, this was actually really fun. Virgil brought a lot of aggression to the match and even pulled out a slingshot over the top rope to the floor. During the match, McMahon tries to get Perfect to reveal what Plan B is, but Perfect refuses. Virgil wins the squash with a Side Russian Leg Sweep. SQUASH.

Money Inc. w/Jimmy Hart vs Burt Stiles and Warren Quinn
    Again, the commentators ignore the match in order to give McMahon a chance to further get under Perfect's skins with rumors of either Flair firing Heenan and/or Perfect or Heenan/Perfect firing Flair as a client. Perfect gets more and more upset, but keeps hyping Plan B. IRS hits the Write-Off and that allows DiBiase to easily lock in the Million Dollar Dream to get the submission victory. SQUASH.

There's one last Event Center with Mooney. Other matches on the card includes Crush vs The Berzerker and Jim Duggan vs The Repo Man. The Berzerker threatens to use his sword on Crush while Duggan promises to use his 2x4 if Repo Man goes for his rope. Boy, they sure are violent.

McMahon and Perfect closes out the show with Perfect promising to reveal Plan B on the next episode of Superstars.

Overall
    Considering I'm a big fan of geeky stuff like "Important" moments, I obviously liked this episode since it featured the final TV matches of the Legion of Doom and Kato. As far as squash matches go, Virgil vs Barry Horowitz was certainly a standout match. Most of the episode was devoted towards the woes of Ric Flair and the mysterious hype of Plan B. Of course, once Plan B is revealed, McMahon is going to look really stupid for being so over the top in his claims that Flair's done.

Smackdown
    March 21, 2002

Booker T vs Edge
    A rematch from Wrestlemania 18 and a pretty huge upgrade over their massive disappointment. First off, this felt like it actually mattered as Kurt Angle was providing some guest commentary to hype his new feud with Edge, rather than the Mania match that was pure filler. You don’t have a match filled with botches unlike at Mania either. Both guys put in some solid effort with Angle trying to interfere when Edge climbed to the top rope, but Edge kicked him off of the ring apron and connected with a cross body. After Booker T accidentally knocks out the referee with a kick, Angle is able to jump into the ring and give Edge an Angle Slam. Booker gives Edge a scissors kick to win the match once the referee wakes up. It may be 50/50 booking with Edge winning the Mania match, but I’m fine with it as this was actually a good little match. ** ½

In the back, Hulk Hogan arrives and is confronted by Vince McMahon. McMahon offers Hogan the chance to be the #1 pick in the WWE Draft this Monday on Raw. Hogan’s unsure if he wants to be with McMahon.

In the APA Office, the APA are playing cards as they call William Regal over. Regal tries to get under their skin by reminding them that the WWE Draft could split the APA up with one going to Raw and the other to Smackdown. Bradshaw looks at the bright side in that if they are split up, one of them will be on the same show as Regal, so the APA can still kick his ass. Regal leaves, but runs into the European Champion, DDP. Page pokes fun at Regal for losing the IC Title to RVD at Wrestlemania. Regal challenges DDP to a match tonight for the European Title.

Trish Stratus and Lita vs Jazz and Ivory
    Sadly, Ivory wasn’t able to be on offense for the entirety of the match. She looked really good in this and any time she was on offense, the Diva’s division looked dare I say competent? Most of Trish’s offense looked bad and Lita/Jazz had mixed results. Trish played the face-in-peril for a while for the heels before the hot tag to Lita. Lita doesn’t stay in there long before Trish tags herself back in. Finish sees both heels hit the ropes, but Lita trips Ivory and pulls her out of the ring, allowing Trish to hit Jazz with the Chick Kick and the Stratusfaction to score the pinfall victory over the Women’s Champion, thus unofficially ensuring that we’ll see Trish/Jazz at Backlash. For a women’s match in 2002, this was good thanks to Ivory. **

DDP © vs William Regal - WWE European Title
    The treatment of DDP in the WWE really stood out to me in this episode. Here he is working this motivational type gimmick that while it is fun, it’s such a downgrade in star level from where he was at in WCW. Meanwhile, here he is having a competitive match with Regal, a guy he would have likely squashed in WCW between 1998-2000. The WWE sure went out of their way to tear DDP down and build him back up as their own character. Anyways, this was a fine little match. Plenty of nearfalls before Christian ran out and pulled DDP off of Regal to break up a cover. Somehow, that’s not a DQ as the referee instead just yells at Christian. The distraction allowed Regal to pull out the brass knuckles to hit Page with the Power of the Punch. Regal locks in the Regal Stretch and the referee awards the match to him to crown a NEW WWE European Champion just days after Regal lost the IC Title at Wrestlemania 18. For you trivia buffs, this was the seventh and final European Title change to occur on a Smackdown. I enjoyed the match, but the finish was too similar to the opening bout. ** ¼

Up next is the overly long talking segment in the ring. Chris Jericho and Stephanie McMahon comes out to promote the handicap match of Jericho/Stephanie vs Triple H on the next episode of Raw. If the heels win, Jericho wins the Undisputed Title, but if Hunter wins, Stephanie must leave the WWE. Triple H comes out on the apron to show a video promoting Stephanie’s most embarrassing moments. It comes off kind of odd when Jericho was shown performing half of Stephanie’s embarrassing moments. Stephanie gets on the mic to drop the news that the Raw match has been changed from a handicap match to a triple threat. Not only does she plan to remain in the WWE, but it’ll be her winning the Undisputed Title, not Jericho. This segment truly summed up this program. It’s all about Stephanie and Hunter while Jericho is just...there.

In the back, Lillian Garcia catches up with Jericho to get his comments on the announcement that Stephanie made. Jericho isn’t fond of knowing Stephanie could beat him for the title, but then he realizes he can pin her to regain his Undisputed Title.

Tajiri w/Torrie Wilson vs Test
    Don’t like kicks? Well too damn bad because you’re going to get some motherfucking kicks! Tajiri was awesome in this with his series of kicks including one that completely leveled Test and dropped the big man. A lot of nearfalls made the outcome of the match uncertain despite the fact that Test was the obvious winner. Sometimes it’s just nice to have to tease the upset even if it never happens. Torrie got on the ring apron, which doesn’t make much sense as she’s a face, but Test heels it up by shoving her off. Finish sees Test getting in a single great kick of his own as Tajiri bounces off of the ropes, but runs right into a big boot. That gives Test the victory. Great for what it was. Pity the WWE didn’t do more with Tajiri because he was certainly more interesting than Test. ** ½

The Undertaker walks into Ric Flair’s “Office”, which looks more like a loft. Taker asks Flair for a favor of drafting Taker in the WWE Draft so that they can just keep repeating the events of Wrestlemania 18 every week on Raw. This was Taker’s attempt at reverse psychology, hoping to scare Flair into not drafting him with threats of violence. That failed since Flair was a moron in the draft.

The Hurricane vs Mighty Molly
    A match made due to Molly smashing The Hurricane over the head with a frying pan at Wrestlemania when Molly won the WWE Hardcore Title from The Hurricane. This match is more of an angle than a proper match, but it was effective. The Hurricane shows off that he’s truly a babyface now as he doesn’t want to wrestle Molly. Holly, showing that she’s a clear heel keeps going after The Hurricane. After Molly is sent to the outside, Brock Lesnar makes his Smackdown debut by running in and destroying the Hurricane with a F5. Molly makes the mistake of coming into the ring and being ran over with a lariat. ANGLE.

In the back, Billy and Chuck hypes up their new stylist - Rico. Rico makes his WWE TV debut by showing up and making a big deal about how much work he has to bring some style to the tag team champions.
    Elsewhere, The Outsiders are with Mr. McMahon as they hype the main event of tonight’s show being Kevin Nash vs The Rock. McMahon also makes note that all of the members of the nWo will be drafted together on Raw.

Billy and Chuck © w/Rico vs The Hardy Boyz - WWE Tag Titles
    Well this wasn’t good. It’s a short match without anything really happening with some awkward spots thrown in for the hell of it. Hardy Boyz look to win the tag titles after Matt delivers a middle rope leg drop, but Rico threw Jeff into the ring, onto the ref to break up the fall. Rico then drops Matt neck first on the top rope to allow Billy to deliver the Fameasser to win the match. Say...that finish looks very close to both the opening bout and the European Title match. * ½

The Rock vs Kevin Nash w/Scott Hall
    As the commentators have been stating all night, this is a first time ever match. While it is technically true, this is also the first time they’ve ever been in the same company together. Seems a bit obvious that it’s a first time ever match. And oh boy, what a first time ever match this turned out to be. Nash controlled 90% of the match, ensuring that it was going to be a bore. The story is that any time Rock tries to make a comeback, Hall is there to stop it, leading to more riveting acting like a long bearhug by Nash. Once enough time is killed, Rock is allowed to make the real comeback, even disposing of Hall. Before Rock can pin Nash, Hall jumps back into the ring and breaks up the cover to draw the DQ finish. Who doesn’t love having a terribly dull match end in a DQ? This first time ever match was luckily also an one time only match. The nWo in 2002 truly sucked. *

After the match, the Outsiders attack Rock with Nash giving Rock a Jackknife through the commentator’s table. This finally brings out Hulk Hogan to make the save despite the fact that there isn’t anything to actually save. Where were you during all of the interference by Hall? This is such a Hogan-like version of making the save where he’s not actually helping anyone, but he’s just there to steal the spotlight. Hogan beats up the Outsiders on his own and lays them both out with leg drops. X-Pac makes his first appearance in the WWE since October 2001 as he runs out in nWo colors and drops Hogan with a steel chair, busting Hogan open. The Outsiders take their turns hitting Hogan with the chair as well. The nWo is back to being a three men force~! Shouldn’t X-Pac have been called Syxx here? I mean, the nWo is Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, not Razor Ramon and Diesel. It’s not as if the X-Pac name was some big draw or anything.

Overall
    While this episode of Smackdown didn’t have anything in terms of real match quality, it was a fun show that managed to be fairly effective. Despite the brand extension starting in a couple of weeks, they still managed to focus a good amount of angle focus. At this point, the three big angles showcased are Hogan/Rock vs The nWo, the upcoming WWE draft, and the Triple H vs Stephanie McMahon program. Other important aspects included another early promotion of that newcomer, Brock Lesnar, the debut/return of Rico and nWo X-Pac, the end of the Molly Holly/The Hurricane partnership, and a little more build in the new Angle/Edge feud. We even got to see a title change. My pick for the match of the night was the underrated gem of Test vs Tajiri while the worst was Kevin Nash dragging Rock down to having a boring match.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Yeah, more weekly reviews

I'll have to watch this. Been meaning to check out some of the 2002 Smackdowns that they have been putting up lately. You nailed the Jericho/Hunter angle. It was quite unfortunate and a nice sing of things to come for the next few years with Triple H trying to restore all strength like it's 2000 again and the McMahons bracing themselves to be on TV for what felt like all the time until a few years later.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Smackdown
    March 29, 2002

Booker T (Raw) vs DDP (Smackdown)
    Just think, had WCW survived, this would have been a match capable of main eventing any PPV in 2001-2002. Instead, it’s featured here on Smackdown with zero frills and an end result that further highlights how much the WWE dropped the ball on Page. They wrestle long enough for a ticker to go by at the bottom of the page revealing all of the Smackdown draft picks and lottery selections. Biggest dud of McMahon’s ten picks? Boy...there’s a lot to choose from. Mark Henry? In hindsight, Maven? How about only scoring one of the Dudley Boyz? Then there’s wasting a pick on Rikishi rather than a Hardy or even any of the future members of the UnAmericans. Chris Benoit is another great shout out since he was the third pick, yet when he returned, he’d show up on Raw instead. Then again, McMahon’s first pick with The Rock, a guy who would be back in Hollywood before Backlash. The only picks by McMahon that worked out well were Kurt Angle (#2) and Edge (#6). Anyways, once the ticker goes away, Booker is sent to the outside to allow Brock Lesnar to run out and attack DDP. Page is laid out with the F5 and that’s it of the match. ANGLE.

Up next is the overly long talking segment where everyone keeps coming out. Kurt Angle is out first to voice his hatred of the fans for being happy about Stephanie McMahon being forced to leave the company. Mr. McMahon comes out next and tries to direct Angle’s anger at that no good Triple H. Hunter comes out to show everyone the finish to the triple threat where he beat Stephanie. McMahon announced a handicap match tonight with McMahon/Angle vs Triple H. Ric Flair comes out and alters McMahon’s booking by turning it into a tag match (Holla holla) with it now being McMahon/Angle vs Triple H/Flair.

In the back, The Dudley Boyz make a big deal about winning the WWE Tag Titles tonight because that would reverse the fact that they were drafted to separate brands. If they fail tonight, their tag team careers will end here in Philly.

Billy and Chuck © w/Rico (Smackdown) vs Bubba Ray (Raw) and D-Von (Smackdown)- WWE Tag Titles
    While not as bad as last week, this is another underwhelming Billy and Chuck title defense. Looking back, I have no idea why the WWE decided to have the tag titles be a brand exclusive instead of allowing them to appear on both shows like the Undisputed and Women’s Champion. Did the Women’s Title really need to be able to appear on Smackdown? Like last week, Rico is here to interfere when the Dudley Boyz were coming too close to victory. D-Von ends up chasing Rico up the entrance way. Rico has the last laugh as he interferes again, allowing Gunn to run in and hit the Fameasser on Bubba to allow Chuck to gain the pinfall. With that, the Dudley Boyz would never tag again~! * ¾

After the match, the Dudley Boyz attack the tag champions, delivering 3D’s through tables.

In the APA Office, Bradshaw and Faarooq are gloomy after Bradshaw ended up being drafted to Raw while Faarooq to Smackdown. Since they have one last night together, they decide to have some fun. They enlist in the help of Tajiri to let everyone else know about their plans. Meanwhile, they talk Torrie Wilson into playing strip poker.

In the back, Matt Hardy and Lita are all excited that Team Xtreme will stay together on Raw. Nevermind the fact that they were made irrelevant due to the fact that the tag titles are now on Smackdown. Chris Jericho shows up and is in a pissy mood that he failed to win the Undisputed Title on Raw due to Hunter pinning Stephanie. Jericho ends up attacking Matt to wipe that stupid grin off of his face.

Elsewhere, Hulk Hogan stresses how scared he is of Kane to The Rock. The Rock tries to settle Hogan’s nerves with Kane shows up. In one of Kane’s greatest moments of his career, he steals the Rock and Hogan’s own catchphrases as he hypes everyone up for the main event of Rock, Hogan, and Kane vs The nWo. Awesome segment.

The Rock, Hulk Hogan (Smackdown), and Kane (Raw) vs The nWo (Raw)
    This ended up being pretty decent. X-Pac managed to drag the nWo into a fairly fun workrate type of a match-up in the early going. To give credit to Hall and Nash, Hall managed to work the entire match without drinking and hey...Nash didn't tear his quad. Good for you. Hogan played the face-in-peril for awhile before finally getting the hot tag. The finish felt a bit flat due to how suddenly it came up with Kane countering an X-Pac Bronco Buster into a chokeslam for the victory. The match did have a bit of a feel of Rock/Hogan being phased out of the nWo picture with Kane taking a bigger role in it. ** ¼

Chris Jericho (Smackdown) vs Matt Hardy w/Lita (Raw)
    This was the match I was most looking forward to seeing, so it only makes sense for this to be comparable to the opening match as it's just a filler match to have a ticker along the bottom of the screen, showing who the Raw brand drafted and scored in the draft lottery. Flair's ten picks were pretty random, what with Flair selecting guys like Taker and the nWo despite being their rivals. Worst pick by Flair? Easily Lita (#10). Better choices would have been one of the Hardyz, an UnAmerican or Cruiserweight Champion, Tajiri. To Flair's credit, Raw ended up doing far better than Smackdown in hindsight. Best pick by Flair? In hindsight, it's likely RVD (#4). He was a major star on Raw and he never dealt with injuries or jumping to Smackdown before the end of the year. Onto the match, Lita interfered some, hitting a top rope head scissors behind the ref's back. When Lita jumped onto the ring apron again, the referee becomes distracted, allowing Jericho to give Hardy a low blow and trap him in the Walls of Jericho. Hardy taps and Jericho wins. Total length of the match? Two minutes and twelve seconds. JIM'S ULTIMATE DISAPPOINTMENT.

After the match, Jericho locks Lita in the Walls of Jericho as payback for her interference. Serves the chick right.

Back in the APA Office, The APA, Tajiri, Torrie, and Christian are playing poker while a bunch of lowcarders and Booker T look on. Tajiri wins, Torrie disappoints humanity by only removing jewelry, and Christian has a huge temper tantrum.

Rob Van Dam © (Raw) vs Test (Smackdown) - WWE IC Title
    I'm guessing the duo's time was cut just before going out because they went through things so quickly. There's never any down time and the moves just keep being thrown out like they're going out of style. The whole story of the match revolves around Test's cheating and the referee's annoyance of this. The first time sees Test having his feet on the ropes during a pin attempt that the referee notices. Later, Test grabs the ropes for an unfair advantage, but the referee kicks them off. Finally, the finish sees Test attempting a power bomb, but RVD counters it into a sunset flip. Earl Hebner jumped to the mat and did a fast count to screw Test for being such a punk. Again, just two minutes long. **

In the back, Coach interviews Raven. Raven cuts a vague promo regarding winning the Hardcore Title.

Maven © (Smackdown) vs Raven (Raw) - WWE Hardcore Title
    This is Raven's first TV match since Survivor Series 2001. To me, Raven is one of the biggest wastes on the Raw brand in that first year. There could have been some legitimate fun there instead of having him win this match solely to bring the Hardcore Title to Raw where he'd drop the belt to Bubba Ray Dudley. After that, Raven spends far more time on HEAT than Raw. It's your typical hardcore match that saw a highlight of a botch by Maven after he's sent over the top rope to the ring apron, but slips and takes a bad fall to the outside. Maven does have a really swank looking missile drop kick though. Tommy Dreamer, who also hasn't been seen on TV since Survivor Series '01, runs out and attacks Maven. The commentators claim Dreamer is looking to win the title with the 24/7 rule, but he didn't even bring out a referee with him. What would have made far more sense to say is that since Raven and Dreamer were drafted to Raw in the draft lottery, Dreamer was trying to help Raven win the title so that he can try winning the Hardcore Title at some point on Raw. Maven is able to dispose of Dreamer, but he gets sent into a chair before then being nailed with a Raven Effect DDT. Raven covers and we have a NEW Hardcore Champion. With that, Raw now has the Hardcore Title, since they clearly didn't have enough midcard titles, already having the European and IC Titles, while McMahon wasted a draft pick on Maven. ** ¼

Back in the APA Office, William Regal shows up to gloat about the APA being forced to break up. A fight breaks out with everyone disappearing while the APA beats up Regal and poor Spike Dudley. The APA then makes a big showing of closing up the APA office and saying goodbye to each other. It's the end of an era~! Man, the WWE sure did screw up their tag division with the draft.

Triple H (Raw/SD) and Ric Flair (Raw) vs Kurt Angle and Mr. McMahon (Smackdown)
    Hey, a match that actually received a decent amount of time, going over nine minutes. The match is fairly enjoyable, it has a good story, a face-in-peril sequence featuring Flair, and some good team work by Flair and Hunter. Yet, for whatever reason, they didn't reach the heights that it could have. Take Hunter's hot tag. The fans didn't react to it despite everyone being over with the crowd tonight. Jerry Lawler comes off as a moron by repeatedly making fun of Flair for not having a tan. Meanwhile...Flair has a tan. Yet, Lawler will have you believing that Flair is looking like Sheamus. Highlight of the match was Flair and Hunter taking turns chopping and then strutting together. With Angle and Hunter fighting on the outside, the referee is distracted (Of course), which allows The Undertaker to run out and give Flair a big boot. That allows McMahon to cover Flair and steal the victory. Best match of the night by far. ** ¾

Overall
    Not as good as last week's episode. This was mostly just a filler episode as the WWE prepares for the brand extension to kick into effect the next week. The biggest development on the entire show was likely just Raven winning the Hardcore Title to bring it to Raw. The Rock/Hogan vs nWo feud is officially over despite the fact that X-Pac had only debuted in the program a week prior. Just as I did in 2002, I find it pretty strange that they wrapped things up so quickly. In hindsight, I think it would have been wise to drag out this holding period just a bit longer. Have the draft go on for a few weeks with the brand extension officially beginning at the conclusion of Backlash. Think about it, you could have had every belt on the line at Backlash, with a bunch of Raw vs Smackdown matches to determine which show received which title. Instead, two weeks removed from Wrestlemania 18, the brand extension is already ready to begin. If nothing else, check out the backstage segment with Hogan, Rock, and Kane on the WWE Network.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

That Kane, Rock, and Hogan segment might be the highlight of Kane's career entertainment wise aside from Team Hell No.
    -------
    Spoiler:

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

Plenty of Kananites were born with that segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

Jim Reviews WWE Weeklies

10 year old Death was a huge Kananite.
    Last edited by Creeping Death; 10-25-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Spoiler:

World Wide Wrestling
    January 5, 1985

Long before monthly PPV's, WCW Monday Nitro or even Ted Turner owning WCW, the former Jim Crockett Promotions' Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling's biggest weekly show was World Wide Wrestling. I downloaded a couple of months from '85, so let's see how the weekly product holds up to today.

The show opens up with a mustache sporting Tony Schiavone bringing out the NWA Tag Team Champions, Dusty Rhodes and Manny Fernandez. They've been champions since October '84 after defeating Ivan Koloff and Don Kernodle. It was after the match that Ivan and his nephew, Nikita, turned on Kernodle to begin a major feud. The big news here though is that the Road Warriors are challenging Rhodes and The Ragin' Bull to a title shot. While it's not stated, the Road Warriors are the current reigning AWA Tag Team Champions. To help hype the match, we're shown a recent squash match featuring The Road Warriors.

The Road Warriors w/Paul Ellering vs Jobbers
    While the Road Warriors have the right hair cuts and are wearing face paint, they're still wearing their old leather chaps. Dusty and Fernandez do not call the action, but rather keep putting the Road Warriors over while still claiming they're the better team. At one point, Dusty claims he can't tell the Road Warriors apart, which sorta makes them out to be faceless monsters like in an old Universal Monster film. Road Warriors easily win with an Animal power slam after not selling a single move or strike by the jobbers. SQUASH.

We then hear from Ricky Steamboat. Steamboat is looking forward at getting another crack at Ric Flair's NWA World Title at some point in 1985. He trains two hours a day, six days a week! I imagine Steamboat already knew that he was on his way out of the company when he cut this promo. Steamboat would end up having a good '85, just not for the NWA's JCP.

Tully Blanchard and the Long Riders vs Jobbers
    Blanchard and the Long Riders (Ron Bass and Black Bart) are all clients of JJ Dillon, who is absent tonight due to his search of hired goons. Blanchard is the current NWA TV Champion (Defeated Mark Youngblood way back in March '84), the Long Riders are the Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Champions (The titles were on it's death bed, having been vacated a few times in recent years and Bart/Bass would be the final champions) and Bass is also the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Champion (The title was once the most important in the Mid-Atlantic region, but was now in it's dying days due to JCP starting to gain more control over the main NWA Titles). Blanchard and the Long Riders had a bit of a Four Horsemen feel about them thanks to their allegiance to JJ Dillon, their title success and the fact that they joined forces to injure their rivals. It's another squash, but there's one great moment where it looked as if the jobbers was going to gain the advantage on Bass, but Blanchard and Bart immediately jumped into the ring to attack the jobbers. This heel trio won't even entertain the idea of the jobbers in control. I'd like to see that spot more in wrestling. Anyways, Blanchard picked up the win with his slingshot suplex. SQUASH.

Schiavone hypes some of the upcoming JCP live events. The big one is tomorrow night in Greensboro. Such key matches include Tully Blanchard defending the TV Title against Dick Slater in a $10,000 death match, Rhodes and Ragin' Bull defending the tag titles against the Road Warriors, Ric Flair defending the NWA Title against Harley Race and a lights out match with Ivan Koloff vs Don Kernodle. Ivan and Nikita Koloff joins Schiavone for a few words. Ivan promises to make Kernodle bleed and he wants that US money.

The Barbarian w/Paul Jones vs Joel Deaton
    The Barbarian had just been brought into the territory by Jones to try and help against Jones' ever increasing number of enemies. Unlike the other squashes on this show, this one lasted awhile. Since Barbarian's gimmick is a bit of a wild savage that only Jones could control, Jones kept preventing Barbarian from finishing the match. Deaton would get in numerous hope spots that wouldn't last long. I found it a little dull since it was too long for a squash and too one sided for a regular match. Finally, Barbarian was allowed to hit his top rope headbutt for the pinfall. SQUASH.

After the match, Barbarian kept attacking Deaton while Jones held the referee back.

Schiavone interviews the NWA TV Champion, Tully Blanchard. The champion is looking for a hot chick. If you think you're a 10, send your picture to Blanchard's address (He does not want postcards). One woman will be picked to be Blanchard's perfect 10, to be seen on national TV on the arm of Blanchard.

Schiavone then talks with The Long Riders. Ron Bass explains that due to the babyfaces having an unfair numbers game advantage over the Long Riders, JJ Dillon is out seeking some new guys to help even the odds. While Bass does stumble over some of his words, he's a good promo otherwise. For the duration of the interview, Black Bart nibbles on his Mid-Atlantic Tag Title.

The Assassin #1 vs Jobber
    The Assassin spending so much time mat wrestling seems so unnatural for a guy his size. The commentators hype his current feud with Paul Jones' gang of wrestlers before The Assassin won by punching his opponent after he whipped him off of the ropes. SQUASH.

Schiavone's next interview is with Paul Jones. Jones is just awful. Besides cutting a dull interview, he can't even remember the name of Magnum TA, instead resorting to calling him "The new one that came in here, uh what's his name? The new guy. He's so unimportant that I can't even think of his name". We're shown the finish to a recent match of Superstar Billy Graham, one of Jones' clients. Jones got involved with a cane shot to help Graham win.

Magnum TA vs Jobber
    Schiavone hypes Magnum as someone who puts away his opponents quickly. Naturally, Magnum decides to take his time in this match, making Schiavone look foolish. Magnum is pretty quick for his size though. Magnum would win with his belly-to-belly suplex out of nowhere. SQUASH.

Schiavone again hypes upcoming live events for JCP including the big one tomorrow in Greensboro. We're shown a tape promo for Ric Flair. He knew it was only a matter of time before Harley Race would be back in his life. He's ready. Schiavone talks with Don Kernodle about his big lights out cage match against Ivan Koloff. Kernodle is looking forward to scraping Koloff's face against the steel cage. LOTS OF SCREAMING~!

Finally, Schiavone brings out Dusty Rhodes. Rhodes spends the final ten minutes of the show talking about anything and everything. He describes the events of a recent Ivan Koloff/Don Kernodle flag match while we're shown clips from the match. Rhodes goes on and on and on about it. Even Don Kernodle hasn't talked this much about the program. Once Rhodes gets done with that, he shifts his attention to the NWA World Title. He's gunning for the title again. Then Rhodes praises Ricky Steamboat and how 1985 may be his year to win the World Title and Rhodes hopes he does because he knows Steamboat will give him a title shot. From there, Rhodes talks about the upcoming Road Warriors title defense tomorrow night. He gets so fired up that he just starts naming a bunch of other wrestlers including talking about the Assassin/Paul Jones feud. When Rhodes runs out of wrestlers on the roster to name drop, he cuts a promo on Russia! It's one of the most insane interviews I've ever seen.

Overall
    With the WWE Network releasing a bunch of WCW Saturday Night episodes, I figured I might as well post this review of Worldwide I initially reviewed in early 2015. For this episode, it's just a bunch of squashes, but there's plenty of talk about the big angles at the time. I'm a sucker for random info when it comes to explaining old angles to have a better grasp on what was going on during certain time periods. Blanchard's search for a perfect 10 would prompt the debut of Babydoll. Of course she'd end up being a significant player in '85 JCP. I do like the presentation of the show. Shilling the living shit out of the upcoming live events. I do have all of January and February '85 downloaded, so it might be good to check out the rest of those since most of the WCW Saturday Night episodes are from after the Four Horsemen formed.

Smoky Mountain Wrestling
    February 14, 1994

Bob Caudle (YAY~!) opens up the show with Dirty Dutch Mantel. The future Zeb Colter pulls a hat out to draw a name to challenge Robbie Eagle for SMW TV Title. Colter draws the name of Larry Santo. Chris Candido and Santo shows up with Candido betting that Santo will beat Eagle as payback for Eagle beating Candido to originally win the TV Title.

Well Dunn vs Bobby Blaze and Anthony Michaels
    This is Well Dunn’s debut match for SMW. They had been a lowcard tag team in the WWE for several months before being given the opportunity to receive some attention in SMW while still treated as geeks in the WWE. I best remember Blaze as a part-time jobber for WCW in the late 90’s. For some odd reason, I was a big fan of his, even playing as him a lot on WCW Mayhem PS1. Like Well Dunn, in SMW, he’s a star. Anthony Michaels is a rookie who would go on to become Snot Dudley, one of the lesser known Dudleys in ECW. This was mostly just a squash other than Blaze getting in some good offense at the very beginning of the match. Once he tagged out to Michaels, it was all Well Dunn until Michaels was pinned with a combo of a kick in the corner followed by a running forearm. For what it was, it was really fun. I want to see Blaze in some competitive matches. SQUASH.

We get a quick word from Well Dunn. They keep complimenting each other while hyping SMW’s tag team division. They’re here in SMW because they have the best tag team division!

We’re shown clips of yesterday’s big event of Sunday, Bloody Sunday. In a chain match, Dirty White Boy defeated Brian Lee to win the SMW Heavyweight Title thanks to some interference from Ron Wright while the referee was dealing with Tammy Sytch trying to interfere.

Bob Caudle talks with the new champion, Dirty White Boy and the Dirty White Girl. Dirty White Boy is still upset over some of the abuse Dirty White Girl has sustained at the hands of Brian Lee and Tammy Sytch. Dirty White Boy has talked with the people in charge and he’s been granted the match of a mix tag between the four at a future date.

We’re shown more clips of Sunday, Bloody Sunday with Terry Funk vs The Bullet in a Texas Death Match. The commentator mentions a past Texas Death Match that went 80+ falls. Whoa. Anyways, The Bullet wins to allow Bob Armstrong to once again become the SMW commissioner. After the match, Jim Cornette, Terry Funk, and Dory Funk Jr. attacked The Bullet. The Funks tried to force The Bullet to kiss Cornette’s feet, but Tracy Smothers and Anthony Michaels ran out for the save.

In the back, Bob Armstrong kicked the crooked leader of the board of directors out of the building and then announced a future cage match between himself and Jim Cornette. Armstrong doesn’t even care if Cornette brings in Dick Murdoch. He’ll fight them both!

We hear from Jim Cornette. Not only is he upset that Armstrong is the commissioner again in SMW, but he’s even more frustrated that Armstrong weaseled his way into allowing himself to wrestle whenever he pleases. That’s a conflict of interest! The rumors are true though, Dick Murdoch is returning to SMW. Cornette and Murdoch will wrestle Armstrong in a handicap match.

Tracy Smothers and Robbie Eagle comes out with Smothers’ betting Candido $2,500 that Eagle will beat Candido’s buddy, Larry Santo.

In a taped segment, WWE star, Jeff Jarrett hypes a March 10th live event of the Armstrong Family Reunion. He’s looking to humiliate the Armstrongs!

Up next is another episode of Down & Dirty with Dutch Mantel. Dutch shows us footage of the press conference for the signing of some team called the Thrillseekers. We hear from this new team including some Shawn Michaels looking geek named Chris. They’ve arrived in SMW because Smoky Mountain has the best tag team division!

Bob Caudle interviews Primetime Brian Lee and Tammy Sytch about the upcoming mixed tag match. Sytch is hysterical, begging Lee to stop this since she’s not a wrestler and she doesn’t want to do this. It gets to the point where Lee just throws Sytch over his shoulder and carries her away. Fun stuff.

We’re then shown the final two minutes of an hour long time limit draw in a 2 out of 3 falls match between The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express vs The Heavenly Express. Tons of nearfalls at the end.

From there, we’re shown a couple of interviews from first the Rock ‘n’ Roll Express and later Cornette and Heavenly Bodies. RnR challenges Heavenly Bodies to a 60 minute marathon match. Heavenly Bodies are more than willing to accept this iron man match since after all, every woman knows they can last an hour.

Robbie Eagle © w/Tracy Smothers vs Larry Santo w/Chris Candido - SMW TV Title
    From what I can gather, the SMW ‘Beat the Champ’ TV Title was a gimmick. Every week, a new challenger would be drawn out of a hat and the winner of each match receives $1,000. So besides keeping the title, you want to remain TV Champion so you keep having the opportunity to make $1,000 a week. That works for me. It was at the start of the match that Smothers tripped Candido up to allow Eagle to win the title. Speaking of Eagle, he’s best known as The Maestro from ‘99 WCW. At this point, he’s completely unrecognizable though due to his baby face. Santo is best known for being a jobber in WCW during this time period. In fact, it was in this very month that he wrestled some nobody named Terra Ryzing on WCW Saturday Night. Anyways, this sucked. It was like watching two jobbers wrestle a match. Both men take their turns getting in some offense without any real story. Candido tries to grab Santo’s arms when Eagle was attempting a sunset flip, but Smothers rushed in and broke it up to allow Eagle to pin Santo to win the $1,000 and allow Smothers to win the personal bet with Candido. This was more about the angle between the two stars (Candido and Smothers) than the ones actually wrestling in the match. *

WWE’s Lex Luger hypes the March 10th event of the Armstrong Family Reunion.

Chris Candido is irate that he lost the money to Tracey Smothers...not that $2,500 is much money for him. But arrrrggggh...that’s his money!!! Smothers shows up to entertain the idea of setting another another match to give Candido a chance to win his money back. Smothers: “Do you know how you keep an idiot in suspense?” Candido: “How?” Smothers: “I’ll let you know next week…”

Next week we will see The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express and Bobby Blaze vs The Heavenly Bodies and Killer Kyle. In addition, we’ll take a look at the Thrillseekers!

Overall
    First time seeing a full episode of Smoky Mountain Wrestling. I really enjoyed it. It wasn’t much by way of actual wrestling matches, but it’s a nice introduction to the product. In forty-five minutes, I feel as if I have a pretty good grasp of what’s going on in the company. The big feuds are Dirty White Boy vs Brian Lee, Jim Cornette vs Bob Armstrong, and The Heavenly Bodies vs The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express. Other programs include Tracy Smothers vs Chris Candido, the young Robbie Eagle trying to keep his SMW TV Title, and the arrival of a couple of new teams. Since a large portion of the show was dedicated to hyping the tag team division, I’m believing in the idea that they might actually have the best tag team division in the US in 1994. There’s a lot of quality in that tag division, especially now with the Thrillseekers and Well Dunn, and certainly additional teams that might not be very good (IE. Bruise Brothers). Ultimately, one of the main goals of a weekly show is to make you want to tune in next week. This succeeded. Unfortunately, at this moment, the WWE Network doesn’t have next week’s episode. So I suppose that means either I’m going to wait a bit to see if it’s added or I’ll find some other means to securing the episode. Good first exposure to SMW.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information