Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Reviews WWE Weeklies

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Re: Reviewing Attitude - Jim Reviews 1998 Raw

Learning to count with Jim:

1 2 3 2 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Truthfully Duke I probably did a boner at times. I took School after I was held back in the 3rd Grade seriously maybe too seriously at times. I wished I would of enjoyed it a bit more. I think my path is still being made to be honest.

Fantrax Premiership \ Fantrax Division 1

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    Learning to count with Jim:

1 2 3 2 5
    Maybe I purposely did it that way to further highlight how difficult it is to distinguish between all of the similar angles. So even though they're all different examples, the average viewer will be all jumbled and mixed up in their head. One man's little typo after copying and pasting that line is really a far deeper statement by Jim.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Maybe I purposely did it that way to further highlight how difficult it is to distinguish between all of the similar angles. So even though they're all different examples, the average viewer will be all jumbled and mixed up in their head. One man's little typo after copying and pasting that line is really a far deeper statement by Jim.
    Mind = Blown.

You truly are a wizard, Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Truthfully Duke I probably did a boner at times. I took School after I was held back in the 3rd Grade seriously maybe too seriously at times. I wished I would of enjoyed it a bit more. I think my path is still being made to be honest.

Fantrax Premiership \ Fantrax Division 1

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall

Status

"Mike Tyson Joins DX"
    March 2, 1998

Degeneration X started the show with an in-ring promo. Typical promo with Hunter repeating the DX Rating at Wrestlemania and insults Owen Hart. Shawn Michaels hints at giving Mike Tyson an offer that he better not refuse. Before the end of the night, Steve Austin will feel Sweet Chin Music. This brought out Steve Austin, however; as soon as Austin got in the ring, the lights went out. Kane music plays and DX leaves through the crowd. On the entrance ramp, Paul Bearer cuts a promo on Austin, hyping the in-ring confrontation between Steve Austin and Kane later tonight. Austin will go to hell~!

In the back, Mike Tyson and his posse has arrived.

The New Age Outlaws made their way out to the ring with neck braces on. It's worth mentioning that the New Age Outlaws' trusty dumpster is at ringside. They claim the Hardcore Legends attack last week (On their car) caused their injury. On the Titantron, Commissioner Slaughter calls BS and orders the Outlaws to defend the titles immediately against the DOA. So I guess beating La Quebecers (I refuse to call them The Quebecers anymore) on Shotgun Saturday Night makes you worthy of a title shot. Man, Slaughter's a pretty unfair authority figure. Just think of the lawsuit if the Outlaws were really hurt!

I'd fake an injury too if I had to wrestle the DOA.

The New Age Outlaws (c) vs The DOA - WWE Tag Titles
    A little brawling on the outside leads to Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie popping out of the dumpster. The Hardcore Legends chase the Outlaws through the crowd. DOA wins the minute long match by count-out. What was even the point of this? So in theory, DOA should be added to the tag titles match at Wrestlemania, right? Thumbs Down.

You just never know where the Hardcore Legends are hiding.

Sable is in the back putting on her makeup. EXCITING~!

A video package is shown for the entire Marc Mero/Sable angle complete with Goldust and Luna's involvement. Actually good stuff that sums everything up nicely.

Marc Mero vs Tom Brandi
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!1! Do we really need yet another match between these two? Before the match, Mero sent Sable back to the back. They have yet another heatless match that only served the purpose of having Luna come out to be in Mero's corner. She ends up tripping Brandi up to set-up a low blow and the TKO to give Mero yet another win over Brandi. After the match, Luna kissed Mero to distract Marvelous long enough for Goldust to jump him. This brings out Sable for the save. With Luna out of the ring, Mero's able to take care of Goldust. Instead of being thankful for Sable's help, Mero's upset that she didn't follow orders and stay in the back. Sable decides to just shove Mero on his ass yet again. Sable was crazy over. Good for an angle, but the match is something I don't want to see again. Thumbs Down.

Owen Hart (c) vs Mark Henry - WWE European Title
    During the Nation's entrance, Commisioner Slaughter ordered the rest of the Nation to the back. So I guess Henry beating such acclaimed stars as The Black Phantom on Shotgun is enough to earn an European Title shot. Seriously, Henry had yet to win on PPV or Raw in 1998. Why is he getting a title shot? Not surprisingly, Owen manages to get something decent out of the terrible Henry. Owen spent most of the match working over Henry's legs to set-up the Sharpshooter. Midway in the match, Chyna made her way down to the ring. After two failed attempts at a Sharpshooter, Owen finally succeeded in locking it in. Before Henry can tap, Chyna distracts Owen to force Owen to let it go. When Owen went to the top rope, Chyna shoved him off. Right as Henry looked to have the match won with a killer bearhug, Chyna rolled in the ring and gave Henry a low blow for the DQ. Henry wins, but Owen keeps the title so Hunter's title shot is still a go for Mania. Since Henry beat the champion, that means he should be added to the Wrestlemania match, right? Terrible booking at the end ruined this for me. Should have ended with the Sharpshooter. Thumbs Down.

The Headbangers and Taka Michinoku vs The Rock 'n' Roll Express and Barry Windham w/Jim Cornette
    I really loathe Team NWA. The match lasted a full two minutes with Taka only managing to hit one big spot (Granted, it was his awesome running jump to the top rope dive to the outside). Somehow, the WWE cameramen MISSES the finish. Headbangers win and it's only through a replay that we see Mosh used Cornette's tennis racket on Gibson to pick up the win. Seriously, they couldn't give this three more minutes so it wouldn't have been so rushed? PLEASE GET TAKA AWAY FROM THE NWA! Thumbs Down.

Oh Taka...you always know how to find a way to entertain me. <3

Afterward, Cornette challenges the Headbangers to a NWA tag title rematch the following week. Headbangers vs RnR 3? I'm so excited.

Vince McMahon begins hour #2 in the ring. Despite not being a heel yet, McMahon is already garnering huge heat. McMahon brings out Mike Tyson for his second in ring appearance. Once Tyson is in the ring, DX comes out as well. After an exchange of words, Michaels challenges Tyson to a fight right now. With everyone clearing out of the ring, Tyson and Michaels circle each other before Michaels rips off Tyson's t-shirt. In one of the bigger moments of 1998, Tyson is revealed to have a Degeneration X t-shirt under his ripped one. Tyson is in DX~! Tyson does a series of horrible crotch chops. Jim Ross wonders how Steve Austin feels about this. If nothing else, Tyson looked like he was having the time of his life. Good for him.

The epitome of maturity for 1998 WWF.

Steve Blackman vs Kama
    Once again, Slaughter forced the rest of the Nation to return to their locker room. Yeah, who wants to be entertained by The Rock? They have a fairly fun, yet heatless match with a lot of kicks. It has sort of a realistic feel to it that I dig. Just as Blackman is about to score the victory with his wacky submission that never got over *Goes to Wiki to see if it had a name* Looks like the move was so unover that Wiki doesn't even remember it. Anyways, just as Blackman locked it on, Faarooq and The Rock ran in and attacked Blackman to draw the DQ. Ugh. Why are you protecting Kama? 5 matches in and we've yet to see a clean finish. Anyways, Ken Shamrock runs out to make the save for Blackman. It looks like Blackman and Shamrock are now BFF's. Thumbs Down.

Back from commercial and an unnamed man (WCW's Col. Robert Parker) announces the return of Double J, Jeff Jarrett. Jarrett's back to his 1996 gear complete with the cowboy hat and sunglasses that light up. Jarrett wishes Team NWA the best of luck, but he's on his own now. Jarrett announces that the unnamed man is Tennessee Lee and is his new promoter.

He's baaaaaack.

Jeff Jarrett w/Tennessee Lee vs Flash Funk
    Flash Funk's actually 2-0 on Raw in 1998. There's a certain logical problem with Jarrett dumping Team NWA. Sure, Jarrett suffered a couple of losses with the NWA, but he was also the NWA North American Champion. So basically, Jarrett gave up a title to find success with a new manager. HELLO...you already had success! This was really fun though as it was given a few minutes with Funk able to hit some of his impressive moves such as that front spinning heel kick that Scott Lost stole from him. With Funk on the top rope and the referee distracted, Tennessee Lee shoves Funk off of the top rope. Jarrett forces Funk to give up to the Figure Four. We're now six matches in and we've yet to see a clean finish. On the plus side, the dirty finish made sense (Establishing Lee being a positive addition to Jarrett). Thumbs Up.

The newest celebrity that will be at Wrestlemania is revealed to be Gennifer Flowers. Basically, she's famous for shagging President Clinton. What's wrong WWE? Monica turned you down?

In the parking lot, Mike Tyson leaves while Michael Cole tries to interview him. Like all Cole interviews in the parking lot, he has zero success and just comes off like a moron.

Somehow I bet this guy is still single.

A video package is shown for the Legion of Doom. After their in-ring fight last week, are the Legion of Doom done forever? You know, maybe I'd be a little more emotionally invested into this angle had the Road Warriors almost been put out of action for good at the end of 1997. This video package is virtually the same one played during the build-up to their match against the Outlaws at Royal Rumble.

To conclude the show, Kane and Paul Bearer makes their way to the ring for the confrontation with Stone Cold. Bearer promises that Austin will wake up tomorrow "Laying side by side with the Undertaker in the pit of hell". As Austin comes out, Triple H distracts him on the entrance ramp. That allows Michaels to sneak up and hit Austin with Sweet Chin Music, thus completing his promise at the start of the show.

With Austin gone, Paul Bearer has Kane drag the timekeeper into the ring. Bearer forces the timekeeper to ring the bell 10 times for the memory of the Undertaker. Once it's done, Kane kills the poor guy with a chokeslam and a Tombstone. Finally, the lights go out and the infamous Undertaker bells rings throughout the arena. The ringside goes dark and the only light is Taker's blue lighting. Bearer reassures Kane that it's a prank and that Taker isn't back. Eventually, the camera picks up on a casket on the entrance ramp. A lightening bolt strikes the casket, breaking it open. There, the Undertaker returns from the rubble of the casket. It's a pretty amazing moment, but it's partially ruined by the Undertaker then cuts a three minute promo that has the acting quality of a high school play. The basics is that while Taker was gone, he was in the afterlife where he had to tell his parents that he's coming back to wrestle Kane. Taker, just stick to the old standby of "Rest in Peace".

---

Match of the night: Flash Funk vs Jeff Jarrett
    MVP of the night: Jeff Jarrett
    Angle of the night: Mike Tyson joining DX

Dangle, Snipe, Celly

Status

As someone who watched little to no WWF between survivor series 97 and SummerSlam 98, I am glad you are posting this thread. It's a delight, and I'm more than happy to go back and watch certain segments and matches from this thread after you have peaked my curiosity.

Keep it up Jim! It is truly a great idea, and I for one appreciate your input and reviews of this era
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=163831
    STL Saint Presents: The Wednesday Night War!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by StLSaint75 View Post
    As someone who watched little to no WWF between survivor series 97 and SummerSlam 98, I am glad you are posting this thread. It's a delight, and I'm more than happy to go back and watch certain segments and matches from this thread after you have peaked my curiosity.
    I'm curious, what caused you to stop watching? Seemed like an odd time to stop watching when everything was changing.

Dangle, Snipe, Celly

Status

I'm curious, what caused you to stop watching? Seemed like an odd time to stop watching when everything was changing.
    I was 8, and a Bret Hart mark. Honestly, this was around the time it became apparent wrestling wasn't real, and I stopped watching for a while all together. Then I was WCW exclusive for a bit, until HHH/Rock's laddermatch at SS for the IC belt. Then I decided I could divide my New found appreciation of wrestling.
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=163831
    STL Saint Presents: The Wednesday Night War!

MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Status

Awesome thread. Too young to remember any of this stuff so this thread is pretty much transporting me back to 1998 where I don't know what happens next.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Vagina Magnet View Post
    Awesome thread. Too young to remember any of this stuff so this thread is pretty much transporting me back to 1998 where I don't know what happens next.
    Between you and me, we you worried that Taker was really dead after Kane lit the casket on fire?

MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Status

Between you and me, we you worried that Taker was really dead after Kane lit the casket on fire?

American Ninja

Status

Haha yeah Jim. I thought that shit was real. The whole Mike Tyson deal, plus having guys like Ken Shamrock run around(Dan Severn too, wearing actual UFC World Title belts) that shit had me convinced it was real. Then on top of that you had shit like Mick Foley falling off of the cell. It was just "HOW DO YOU FAKE THAT!?". I was a pretty big UFC fan back during this time too, so seeing Shamrock and Severn on Raw gave them a lot of credibility in my household. I was pretty young in 1998 though. Gradually through the year I put two and two together, then the "Secrets revealed" show came on in October of that year if I remember correctly. Once it really sank in that it was fake I grew a different appreciation for it, but I just couldn't get interested in WCW or WWF. ECW was all I cared about in 99-00, when they went under I was done for about a decade.

Status

"Technical Difficulties"
    March 9, 1998

Recap of last week with Mike Tyson joining DX and The Undertaker returning.

The Rock and Faarooq w/The Nation vs Ken Shamrock and Steve Blackman
    Despite being hellbent on not allowing any faction members at ringside last week, Commissioner Slaughter doesn't even bother to come out and order the rest of the Nation to the back. Who needs continuity? The commentators bring up how good Faarooq and The Rock looked in a tag match on the last episode of Shotgun Saturday Night. Looking up the result, it looks like the Nation wrestled Tom Brandi and some guy named T. Rantula. Had the Nation not been able to get along for that squash, it would have been pathetic! This was a fine little tag match with a little preview of the Shamrock/Rock showdown at Wrestlemania. For the first time, Kevin Kelly announces that The Rock's big elbow is called the People's Elbow. Just as Shamrock looked to have the match won over Rocky, Nation runs in for the DQ finish. With Blackman taken out by Mark Henry on the outside, Rock shoves Kama and Faarooq back so he can have a piece of Shamrock by himself. The angle is pretty predictable, but it's still rather fun. Shamrock ends up beating Rocky up and locking in the Ankle Lock all while Faarooq orders the Nation not to help the Rock. I hate yet another dirty finish, but the post-match angle made up for it. Thumbs Up.

We're shown an image of the building's door. Steve Austin will be here tonight!

Triple H and Chyna came out to cut a promo in the ring. Same old DX Rating, more Owen Hart insults and boasting about Mike Tyson. Hunter turns his attention to the Titantron where we're shown a taped promo by Shawn Michaels. Shockingly, Michaels cuts a good promo that adds a little interest in the Austin/Michaels match at Mania. Despite a little comedy at the start, Michaels was mostly serious. Michaels brags about fulfilling his promise last week in regards to superkicking Austin. Michaels refuses to lose his spot after he worked so hard to become the top guy.

At various points in the show, the WWE has been having various technical difficulties with the audio and video.

Owen Hart (c) vs Barry Windham w/Jim Cornette - WWE European Title
    Hunter is the guest commentator for the match. So what did Windham do to deserve an European Title shot? Thus far in 1998 TV, the only singles match he's won was against Tom Brandi on Shotgun. Hell, if you want to find the last singles TV win Windham had over someone who wasn't a step above a jobber, you have to go all the way back to the May 15, 1985 edition of Primetime Wrestling when Windham defeated Nikolai Volkoff! Why are these morons getting title shots?! Maybe if this was late 80's Windham vs Owen, it would have been great, but this was just a slow and sluggish match. Owen ended up twisting his ankle badly jumping down from the middle rope, so the match was slowed down even more. With the referee distracted by Windham, Chyna sneaked up behind Owen and gave him a low blow. Owen gets counted out and has now lost his last two Raw matches in this build-up to Wrestlemania. You have to go all the way back to January to find an Owen match that had a clean finish. Thumbs Down.

Ouch.

After the match, Bradshaw ran out to attack Barry Windham to continue their feud. I'm not going to spoil myself and look, but I really hope we finally get to see a singles match between the two. Otherwise, this may be one of the first and only tag team splits (Where there was a turn) where there weren't any matches. Bullshit.

In the back, a referee goes over the rules for the upcoming Marc Mero/Goldust match with Sable. Both Sable and Luna will be handcuffed to a ring post. Mero is delighted at the idea of a handcuffed Sable.

Steve Austin is now expected at any second.

Jerry Lawler interviews Paul Bearer and Kane. Bearer refuses to talk about the Undertaker, instead focusing on what Kane did to Vader at No Way Out of Texas. We're shown an image of Vader from ten days ago. Both eyes have bruises and he's in some bad shape. Randomly, a bench begins opening and shutting causing both Lawler and Bearer to run off. Kane just stares as multiple benches open and shut. Could this be the work of the Undertaker?!

Dramatic moment or one of sheer lulz?

Aguila w/Taka Michinoku vs Brian Christopher w/Jerry Lawler
    While it's not said that this is for a title shot at Taka's title at Wrestlemania, the commentators do announce the Light Heavyweight Title match will be revealed this Sunday on Superstars. Who even watches Superstars in 1998? Poor Aguila is working with a 101 degree fever and the flu. As a result, the match is a bit clunkier than usual. Still, Aguila manages to hit a few awesome dives. During the match, the lights flicker some, continuing the technical difficulties. With Aguila on the top rope for his 450 Splash, Lawler climbs on the apron and shoves him off. The referee catches him and DQ's Christopher. GAH! ANOTHER non-finish?! Why are you protecting Christopher when Aguila is the one who ends up facing Taka at the PPV? Fuck, this is annoying. After the match, Taka dropkicks Christopher from the apron on to Lawler. Below average Light Heavyweight match, but I'm still a mark for the high flyers. Thumbs Up.

Aguila > The Flu

A M&M's Wrestlemania moment shows Andre the Giant throwing Bret Hart out of the ring to win the battle royal at Wrestlemania 2.

Steve Austin finally arrives to the building. Is he upset with Shawn Michaels for superkicking him? What about Mike Tyson joining DX? No, Austin's so upset because Mr. McMahon called Mike Tyson the baddest man on the planet last week. I shit you not. Austin refuses to leave the ring until McMahon comes out. A series of officials come out, but Austin keeps sending them back. McMahon eventually comes out and we get a nice little confrontation. While McMahon doesn't admit or deny it, Austin claims McMahon doesn't want to see Austin win the World Title. The feud hasn't quite started yet, but it's brewing. Austin dares McMahon to hit him. Instead, McMahon just leaves. Austin promises to beat up Triple H later tonight. Funny enough, rather than making the Michaels/Austin match be all about Austin/Tyson, we're now seeing Austin build tension for an Austin/McMahon feud. Seriously, Michaels/Austin comes off as so meaningless!

It's coming...

We're told that Triple H has demanded extra security for his match tonight.

The Hardcore Legends vs La Quebecers
    Jim Ross announces that due to time restraints, the NWA Tag Titles match has been postponed until Superstars this Sunday. Oh yeah. While it's not as hectic as their first match, these two teams have some great chemistry together. Jacques and PCO are willing to brawl a bit to give this more of a Cactus Jack feel to the match. Cactus ends up picking up the win for his team after the double arm DDT PCO. So not only do we get a clean finish, but the challengers for a title match at Mania wins! Raw booking that actually makes sense! I love it. Thumbs Up.

Technical difficulties or something darker?

After the match, Road Dogg comes out with his arm in a sling. He challenges Cactus Jack to a fight right now. As Cactus runs up the entrance ramp, Billy Gunn sneaks up behind Chainsaw Charlie and lays him out with a chair strike. It was a set-up~! Hands down, the Outlaws vs Hardcore Legends has the beat build-up for Mania.

Paul Bearer and Kane came out to the ring for a second promo. This time, Bearer promises Kane will send The Undertaker back to the dark side after their Wrestlemania match. The lights go out and the Undertaker appears behind Kane. Once Kane turns around and sees Taker, the lights go out again. Once they come back on, Taker is gone. The mind games have begun.

Next week, Raw will be on Tuesday night for a special St. Patrick's Day edition.

TAFKA Goldust w/Luna vs Marc Mero w/Sable
    So both Luna and Sable are handcuffed to their own ring post. Luna spends the match licking the handcuffs while Sable can't wipe a frown off of her face. The match only lasts three minutes before there's an accidental ref bump. Goldust nailed the Curtain Call on Mero before dropping a leg drop on the referee. Goldust pulled out the handcuff keys out of the pocket of the referee. After faking out Sable, Goldust goes to uncuff Luna. Goldust: "Now you gotta be nice sweetheart." In a great moment, Goldust is acting like a character from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Mockingly screaming like Sable) while Luna smears Sable in make-up. It's yet another BS non-finish, but the angle was so fucking awesome. Thumbs Up.

Sable's makeover.

In the back, Goldust and Luna are interviewed by Jim Ross. Goldust lays out a challenge to Mero and Sable for Wrestlemania.

We're shown a pretty cool recap video for Mike Tyson and everything that has happened to him on his way to Wrestlemania.

We're then shown a taped sit-down interview between Jim Ross and Mike Tyson. Tyson felt disrespected by Steve Austin. Tyson ends up leaving the interview when Ross questions how Tyson can remain fair at Wrestlemania.

Triple H w/Chyna vs Savio Vega w/Los Boricuas
    Supposedly, this match was made because DX failed to pay Los Boricuas for some of their services. There's a ton of referees and officials at ringside. The match barely gets started before Steve Austin runs out. Brisco eats a Stunner. So does a referee. Savio gets on for his trouble. As Austin gets up after the last Stunner, Shawn Michaels (!) nails him with a super kick for the second straight week. Michaels lied! He was here all along~! So that's five out of six matches tonight that ended in a non-finish. That's along with all six matches from last week. Fuck.

I'll say this though, while Austin has done a shit job of adding interest in his Michaels match, Michaels really stepped up this week.
    ---

Match of the night: Hardcore Legends vs La Quebecers
    MVP of the night: Shawn Michaels
    Angle of the night: Austin vs McMahon

American Ninja

Status

Awesome review Jim. I loved that Kane vs Taker storyline, even the goofier shit. The Kane character was at his best during this time imo.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    The Kane character was at his best during this time imo.
    Well, you can easily say he had the most credibility at this point in his career. Adding more human characteristics to Kane made him more fun and freshened him up a bit, but the result is that Kane became just another normal big guy.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    uk=United Kingdom

I thought 99-00 was kanes best time, looking back I connected with him during that era well I'm getting off topic, it didn't seem like there was a lot of interest in terms of Austin and michaels building up the match

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BeastyBoy View Post
    I thought 99-00 was kanes best time, looking back I connected with him during that era well
    By the end of 2000, Kane was already becoming someone one had a problem remembering whether they were a heel or a face. The X-Pac feud didn't go off as well as it could have and the Taker feud in mid 2000 was pretty weird. Once Kane started talking, he did connect with the audience in a new way. It made up for Kane losing that unstoppable monster character he had in 1998.

I'm getting off topic, it didn't seem like there was a lot of interest in terms of Austin and michaels building up the match
    Once I finish the final Raw before Wrestlemania, I'm going to create an extra post going over the card and how well I felt they built everything up. It seems pretty clear that Wrestlemania 14 was about making Steve Austin the face of the company. Austin vs Michaels was just a means to making that happening.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    uk=United Kingdom

I'll agree 2000 wasn't kanes best period but I just love 99 Kane hell I just love Kane in general, that would be awesome can't wait to read

Team Cyrus T

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Great read here Jim. I was 9 when all this was going down so I vaguely remember some of the key moments. Thanks for the entertaining and insightful reviews.

Show-Off

Status

"McMahon's Real Feelings."
    March 17, 1998

Raw opens up with an in-ring interview with Ken Shamrock by Kevin Kelly. Shamrock cuts a poor promo about how he'll be the new People's Champion at Wrestlemania. The Rock interruppts the interview by cutting a vastly superior promo. Rock offers Shamrock a deal. If he can beat a Nation member in under two minutes, he'll receive an IC Title shot tonight. Rock ends up volunteering a relucant D-Lo.

Ken Shamrock vs D-Lo Brown - 2 Minute Challenge
    For only being two minutes, this was fun. D-Lo managed to remain in control for the majoirt of the match while the Nation made their way down to ringside. With twenty seconds to go, Shamrock hooks D-Lo up in the Ankle Lock. The Rock ends up rolling into the ring and smashing Shamrock in the back with a chair for the DQ. Shamrock dares Rock to hit him again and in one of the more infamous chair shots in history, Shamrock eats a hard looking chair shot. Shamrock's out cold and Faarooq stole the chair from the Rock out of pity for Shamrock. Is Faarooq growing a consicence? Fun match with a better angle. Thumbs Up.

In the back, Shamrock seems to have a concussion, but he refuses to go to the hospital. Makes sense, head injuries are pretty unimportant.

Sable came out to the ring for a quick promo. Such words as "Bitch" and "Ass" are used as Sable challenges Luna to a fight later tonight.

The Suns Gorilla (The Phoenix Suns mascot) repels from the rafter and entertains the crowd before joining Jim Ross to "Commentate" the next match.

Bitches love a guy with a horse with lights...

Jeff Jarrett w/Tennesse Lee vs Tom Brandi
    Jarrett coming out with his horse covered in lights is pretty damn epic. Rematch of Shotgun Saturday Night where Lee helped Jarrett beat Brandi. They work a short match where they try and tease Brandi possibily picking up the huge upset. After Brandi's failed feud against Marc Mero, NO ONE can buy Brandi as and potential star. Jarrett cleanly beats Brandi with the Figure Four. I hate that they still try and claim that Lee can help Jarrett's career when he went from being NWA North American Champion to now a non-champion. Thumbs Down.

In the back, Kevin Kelly announces that Ken Shamrock has been taken to the hospital. The Rock stops by and makes some Shamrock dead jokes. Rock's ready for the WWE to announce a new challenger for him at Wrestlemania 14. I wonder if the WWE was considering turning Faarooq face before Wrestlemania to give us Rock vs Faarooq.

Long video package is shown for Shawn Michaels. While it's enjoyable, it's an eight minute video package.

Later tonight, we will hear from Vince McMahon after his confrontion with Steve Austin last week.

The Headbangers vs The Rock 'n' Roll Express and Jim Cornette
    Handicap non-title match that was set-up after Cornette humilated Headbanger Mosh on Superstars. Common sense would dictate that we'd see the Headbangers get a bit of revenge on Cornette. Instead, Cornette is never tagged in while the Headbangers beat Morton with the Stage Dive. Who booked this shit?! This Headbangers/RnR feud continues to suck the life out of me. Thumbs Down.

After the match, The Headbangers throw Cornette in the ring. Before they can get their hands on him, Bart Gunn and Bob Holly attack the Headbangers. Rocket Launcher to Thrasher. Cornette gets on the mic and announces he's created a new and improved Midnight Express, Bobastic Bob and Bodacious Bart, The NEW Midnight Express. With the New Midnight Express in Team NWA, Cornette sics them on the Rock 'n' Roll Express, officially kicking the old timers out of Team NWA. I actually dig the idea of having Holly and Gunn turn heel and join Team NWA. Neither guy had done anything of value since 1996. With a new look and attitude, it's something different and fun for Gunn and Holly. Yet, it's instantly a fail by making them into the New Midnight Express. What should have been a nice career move for Gunn and Holly was one of their more embarrassing times in wrestling. The NWA angle sucks so much. How is it that it only gets worse?

Gennifer Flowers vignette promoting Wrestlemania is shown.

The Suns Gorilla came back into the ring to entertain the crowd. As you can probably expect, this brought out Kane and Paul Bearer. The Gorilla received a chokeslam and a Tombstone for his troubles.

For hour number 2, an injured Owen Hart joins Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler to commentate the full hour.

Chainsaw Charlie vs Billy Gunn w/Road Dogg
    For all of you Billy Gunn fans, this would mark the first TV apperence of his short trunks. It's a historic Raw~! Normally, I can't get enough of Terry Funk, but the match was ruined by Road Dogg remaining on the mic and talking throughout the match. It's rather distracting. To make matters worse, Road Dogg interferred to draw the DQ win for Terry Funk. What bullshit. Thumbs Down.

An "Are You Serious?" moment Road Dogg would like to forget.

After the match, The Hardcore Legends reveal their master plan. Charlie ties Road Dogg's feet while Cactus Jack (Up on the ramp), pulls on the pulley until Road Dogg is a good eight feet in the air while upside down. Good little piece of prank revenge for the Legends after what the Outlaws have been doing.

In the back, Luna accepts Sable's challenge to a fight.

Up next, Kevin Kelly interviewed Vince McMahon over the events of last week. Rather than try and recap it, here it is on Youtube. Personally I LOVED how McMahon slowly went from giving business answers to cocky ones. The Mr. McMahon character is just about there.

A Pete Rose vignette is shown to further promote Wrestlemania.

We're shown a music video for Mike Tyson by Prince (Not THAT Prince) and Lucky Luke. They're the duo that created Tyson's theme music for Wrestlemania 14.

Next, we're shown a seven minute video package for Steve Austin. Just like Shawn Michaels' it's good, but still so long.

Triple H came out to confront Owen Hart. Hunter claims Owen is hiding behind the commentator's table rather than be a man and face him. Eventually, Hunter goads him into defending the title right now.

Owen Hart (c) vs Triple H - WWE European Title
    Some light fighting on the outside until Hunter rolls into the ring to distract the ref. Chyna comes out and hits Owen's already injured ankle with a lead pipe. Back in the ring, Hunter uses a leg submission on Owen's injured ankle. Rather than submitting, Owen loses the title when the referee stops the match. The Owen burying continues. Not only does he get to lose the title before Wrestlemania, but then he gets to go into the next two PPV's and job to Hunter. What bullshit. Thumbs Down.

Up next was the fight between Luna and Sable. Naturally, it's filled with BS. As soon as Sable begins to come down to the ring, ring officials run down and try to break up the fight. If they weren't even allowed to fight, why did they allow Sable to challenge Luna, Luna being allowed to accept it and both ladies able to come to the ring? What BS false advertisment.

During the pull apart, Sable seemed to injure her knee. While she's struggling to stand up with Marc Mero not helping much, the lights go out. Kane and Paul Bearer make their way down to the ringside. Mero, being the ultimate heel boyfriend, runs out of the ring, leaving Sable all alone. Before Kane can get his hands on Sable, The Undertaker is shown at the top of the Titantron. Taker cuts a promo before causing lightning to strike a casket with a Kane figure inside at the top of the ramp. That wraps up the show.

Total length of the episode of Raw? One hour, twenty-four minutes and fifty-one seconds. Total amount of actual wrestling? Eight minutes and thirty-two seconds. Fuck.
    ---

Match of the night: Ken Shamrock vs D-Lo Brown

Feel The Heat

Status

How that didn't get over I'll never know.
    Spoiler:

Thread Information