Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Jim Reviews WWE Weeklies

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Re: Jim Reviews WWE Weeklies

While I think more highly of a few guys than you, good review. I can assure you that in ring styles certainly aren't limited to high flying with some of the competitors still to come (Gulak, Dar, Gallagher). There is some really good stuff to come.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Status
      Country                    United States

ECW on SportsChannel
    April 6, 1993

We kick off with the opening show intro showing some of ECW’s top talents including The British Bulldog, Jim Neidhart, Nikolai Volkoff, and Ivan Koloff. Man, that’s trippy.

Hosts, Jay Sulli and Stevie Wonderful welcomes us to the first ever ECW television show. They bring out ECW President, Tod Gordon, to announce the creation of the ECW Television Championship. We’re shown the belt and it looks...awful. You do not realize how important the side plates are until you see a title without any. Anyways, Gordon then announces the third man of the ECW commentating team, but Eddie Gilbert rushes out instead. Gilbert is informed that he’s not the third man, but rather Terry Funk is. Gilbert throws a fit and calls Funk an old man. Funk offers to step into the ring with Gilbert at a future date. Once Gilbert leaves, Funk stumbles through a promo praising the fans of Philly.

The Super Destroyers © w/Hunter Q. Robbins III vs The Hell Riders - ECW Tag Titles
    The Super Destroyers were a couple of masked big men that are currently in the middle of the first ever ECW Tag Titles reign. Believe it or not, despite being the first ever ECW Tag Champions, their first reign was also the longest in the company’s history. The Hell Riders are a couple of even less impressive looking jobbers. EZ Rider would end up becoming Chubby Dudley a few years later. Anyways, this was rather terrible looking squash match. Despite the Hell Riders jumping the champions before the bell, they were never able to get in any real offense. While it did take the entire match, we did finally see a couple of good spots with the finish being a power bomb/running senton combo. Super Destroyers win and ECW officially has their first bad TV match. SQUASH.

Next up is a music video featuring the ECW Champion, The Sandman. The appeal of this is that the Sandman was still working his surfer gimmick (Which certainly allows his name to make more sense), which is such a contrast to the look that everyone is far more common with. The music video features The Sandman working matches against the likes of Jerry Lawler, Jeff Jarrett, and Jeff Gaylord. I believe all footage is from USWA TV.

Tommy Cairo vs Wildman Bellomo w/Cosmic Commander - ECW TV Title Tournament - First Round
    Cairo was a fairly important wrestler in ECW during their Eastern days. His feud against the Sandman being one of the bigger early feuds in the company’s history. Bellomo is probably best known as Sal Bellomo, one of the bigger jobbers for the WWE in the mid 80’s. You can actually a match of his against Paul Orndorff on the WWE: The Greatest Wrestling Stars of the '80s DVD released a decade ago. Terry Funk is already an awful commentator. When the other commentators praise the fact that the babyface, Cairo, is currently undefeated in ECW, Funk, who is also a babyface, announces that doesn’t know what that means because he doesn’t know who Cairo has wrestled. After all, Funk’s mother has never wrestled, but she’s technically undefeated in wrestling too. There’s a lot of random arm work that went nowhere. Cairo came across as a guy who could probably work a fairly good match with a great talent, but against Bellomo he’s useless. There’s a lot of work to be done with the camera crew though. The commentators were talking about Johnny Hotbody running out to ringside, but it took forever before the cameraman showed him on the top rope, attempting to hit Cairo (While he’s being held by Bellomo) as the referee is distracted by Commander. Cairo moves out of the way causing Hotbody to strike Bellomo. That’s enough to send Bellomo to the outside where he is counted out. I suppose the match served a purpose for storyline advancement, but it’s just another bad match. ľ *

After the match, Hotbody jumped Cairo, but missed a top rope elbow drop. Hotbody bailed before Cairo could get some revenge.

Rockin' Rebel vs Tony Stetson
    It’s the battle of the #1 contenders. Rockin’ Rebel is the #1 contender to the ECW Title while Stetson is one half of the #1 contenders to the ECW Tag Titles (Along with partner Larry Winters). As it’s likely true with most of the roster, both of these wrestlers were stars of the Tri-State Wrestling Alliance, the Philly based wrestling promotion that more or less became ECW. Stetson looks awful. I’ve seen WWE 80’s jobbers that has a better look for him. As for Rockin’ Rebel, he looks a bit like Stevie Richards while also having a bit of a body. The way I’d describe Rebel is he looks like what you’d imagine a former WWE talent would look like six months after being released. Stetson proves you can judge a book by it’s cover as he’s terrible. It’s not even so much that he’s bad, but that I’m legitimately concerned that he’s either going to injure himself or Rebel with every spot. In one of the first spots of the match, Stetson gives Rebel a hip toss right into the ropes. Like in the previous match, there’s some arm work that doesn’t mean anything. Rebel puts me out of my misery by stealing the pinfall with his feet on the ropes. While I won’t say the heel Rebl was good, he at least resembled a wrestler. Stetson? Ugh. *

Before the next match, Jimmy Snuka comes out with some girl that is never mentioned, referred to, or even zoomed in on. Okay then. He announces that he just signed a contract. That brings out Eddie Gilbert to announce the launching of Hot Stuff International with Jimmy Snuka as his first client. Fine by me since Gilbert is one of the few acts that I’m completely cool with here.

Jimmy Snuka w/Eddie Gilbert vs Larry Winters - ECW TV Title Tournament - First Round
    Winters has the lovely look of working with only boots and a pair of trunks without any pads or wrist tape. Do they not realize how awful of a look that was? Poor Winters doesn’t even get an introduction and it took me half of the match to realize who he was. To think, this is one half of the #1 contenders to the ECW Tag Titles. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I liked Jimmy Snuka here. Okay, sure, he still sucked in his spots (At one point he fell on his ass after giving a back body drop), but he showed personality. Snuka heeled it up, kept showing an arrogant smile, and just generally showing more character in this one match than he did for his entire WWE run 1989-1991. Although the match was resembling a squash, Winters eventually got in some offense and several nearfalls. Predictably, Winters is as lousy as his tag partner, however; at least it’s actually a story! Gilbert trips Winters up to end that hope of a giant upset with Snuka quickly putting Winters away with the Superfly Splash. I’m shocked, but Jimmy f’n Snuka just had the MOTN. * ˝

Terry Funk and Jay Sulli are at ringside. Terry Funk openly admits that with the show just about over, they have improvements to make. Wow. Wildman Bellomo and Cosmic Commander came out to demand a second match for Bellomo. Luckily, there was a jobber already in the ring.

Wildman Bellomo w/Cosmic Commander vs ???
    Bellomo quickly puts away the jobber without this nameless hero getting in any offense. I suppose this served the purpose of letting the viewers know that Bellomo matters, even if he lost earlier tonight. SQUASH.

Tod Gordon and Terry Funk are at ringside to wrap up the show. Funk previews next week’s show with the featured matches of the semi-finals and finals of the ECW TV Title tournament. Gordon quickly corrects Funk by informing everyone that next week will just be the other two matches of the first round instead. How is Terry Funk THIS bad at his job? Also in action will be the ECW Champion - The Sandman.

ECW SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT - send in a letter or postcard to see YOUR ECW dream match! Unless the match is Terry Funk vs Eddie Gilbert, I honestly don’t know how anything else can be considered a “Dream match” with this awful roster. I can’t even pick anything with The British Bulldog because by April ‘93, he was already in WCW. Ugh. This sucked.

Overall
    First of all, this episode of ECW featured the absolute worst audio I’ve ever heard on any paid streaming subscription service. There was only audio from my left speaker. It’s not even a problem on my end because I watched the first half of the show on my laptop (Both with and without headphones) and the second half on my Roku. So right away, if you have any desire to watch this disaster of a show, realize the audio is going to suck. As for the show itself, the MOTN was * ˝ and featured Jimmy f’n Snuka. WTF. The problem with this event is that it’s Eastern Championship Wrestling. It’s just a typical indie wrestling company from the early 90’s without any proper identity. Say what you will about Extreme Championship Wrestling, but at least you were getting something different from them. In total, I saw eleven guys wrestle tonight and a grand total of three of them (Cairo, Snuka, and Rebel) looked as if they could be wrestlers. I love Terry Funk, but he was the drizzling shits here as a commentator. Not only was he clueless about what was going on in ECW, but he completely failed to go along with the flow. I can understand getting the matches for next week wrong due to not being told enough times to remember, but why would you downplay Tommy Cairo being undefeated? I don’t care if you’ve never watched a guy wrestle before, if you’re told that a clear babyface is undefeated, you pretend to be impressed if you’re a babyface commentator. The #1 contender’s to the ECW Tag Titles were presented as supreme jokes. What did the show do well? I guess there’s a running story now with the ECW TV Title tournament for the next few weeks. They planted the seeds for a Terry Funk/Eddie Gilbert feud, which I’m actually cool with. Jimmy Snuka’s ECW character had some depth to it. There was even a bit of a feud showcase for Tommy Cairo vs Johnny Hotbody. None of that is worth watching this first ever ECW TV episode though. Only watch this if you’re an ECW completist or if you’re watching it with some buddies while drinking.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Hahaha. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I enjoy it for what it is, and it certainly isn't good.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Status

WWF Championship Wrestling
    January 1, 1983

To give you an idea of the stars at the time, the Championship Wrestling opening shows clips featuring the likes of Bob Backlund (WWE Champion), Andre the Giant, Jimmy Snuka, Tony Atlas, and Mr. Fuji.

Vince McMahon and Pat Patterson open up the show with a run down of what we’re going to be seeing tonight. The youngster, Curt Hennig, looks to upset Ray Stevens. We’ll also see Jimmy Snuka, Mr. Fuji, and the Samoans in action. For context sake, McMahon had only bought the WWE from Vince Sr. in 1982, so he’s barely done anything in his national expansion thus far. Meanwhile, Patterson is still a wrestler, but he’s wrestling less and less and focusing more on other roles in the company.

Before the opening match, the ring announcer goes over all of the staff for the evening which includes the commission, referees, and himself. The name that stood out the most was the physician in attendance - Dr. Zahorian.

Ray Stevens w/Freddie Blassie vs Curt Hennig
    Hennig had joined the WWE in mid 1981 as an underdog who put on good efforts, but failed to have much success. He’d be working his last match with the WWE in February before going to Portland and NJPW before settling into the AWA in 1984, where his stock would continue to go up before returning to the WWE in 1988 as a legitimate star. As for Stevens, he had a couple of short runs with the WWE in 1972 and 1982/1983. Like Hennig, he’s about to leave to go back to the AWA. For a five minute match, this was pretty great. The Crippler mauled Hennig at the beginning of the match, but once Hennig is able to surprise him with a drop kick, Stevens takes a big bump to the outside, landing on the mat-free floor below. The set up a period of time where Hennig looked as if he was going to score the major upset. Any time Stevens does try to get in some offense at this point, it’s cheap tactics like raking the eyes. Finally, Hennig charges at Stevens, but Stevens drops down. That causes Hennig to fly through the ropes, but in doing so, he ends up being hanged between the ropes. Stevens gave a few punches with Hennig still being choked by the top and middle rope before dragging Hennig to the middle of the ring and pinning him. Stevens may have won, but that Hennig kid looked as he had a real chance at winning before the bad luck occurred. ** ˝

Jimmy Snuka w/Buddy Rogers vs Tito Senza
    Snuka came into the WWE just about a year ago as a heel managed by Capt. Lou. After a successful series of WWE Title matches against Bob Backlund, one of which saw a dive off of the top of the cage, Snuka would end up turning face in late ‘82 after Rogers revealed that Capt. Lou had been ripping Snuka off. Even though he was managed by Blassie, it was Ray Stevens that initially feuded with Snuka during Snuka’s first babyface program. The Snuka/Stevens feud is practically finished by this point though. Senza is just a jobber from Montreal. Much to my surprise, Senza destroyed Snuka in the opening minute. Just a lot of pummeling before Snuka made a comeback with his chops and strikes. Snuka quickly finishes Senza off the Superfly Splash for the victory. The Superfly Splash was MEGA over. In a nice touch, officials quickly stretcher Senza off to sell the effects of the splash. SQUASH.

After the match, McMahon gets in an interview with Snuka. McMahon gets Snuka to explain his ‘I love you’ hand signal. The crowd popped big when Snuka said he loved them. Basically, Snuka is super over at this point in time.

Buddy Rose w/The Grand Wizard vs Barry Hart
    Hart is a young Barry Horowitz. He’s near the end of a couple years run with the company. He wouldn’t return until 1987 where he’d be referred to as Barry Horowitz. Tell me if this sounds familiar - Rose is just about done with his one year run with the WWE. Once McMahon Jr. took over in 1982, the talent started changing drastically. Although Rose’s next two runs in the WWE (1984-1985 and 1990) weren’t anything special, Rose was a top contender to Backlund’s WWE Title during this run. Sadly, The Grand Wizard only has about ten months left in his life. Unlike Senza, Hart isn’t allowed much offense. It’s all Rose with Playboy getting a lot of heel heat. Throughout the match, the crowd kept chanting “Fat boy!” much to Rose’s annoyance. Rose would win with a backbreaker. SQUASH.

Tiger Mask vs Mr. Saito
    TIGER MASK! Tiger Mask was the reigning WWE Junior Heavyweight Champion. Although the title was mostly just defended in Japan (If you have NJPW World, seriously check out those matches, they’re awesome), Tiger Mask did come in for a couple of tours in 1982. These WWE matches included the first ever Tiger Mask vs Dynamite Kid match (I rated it *** ˝) and various other matches against the likes of Curt Hennig, Eddie Gilbert, and Jose Estrada. There was some serious potential of having an amazing division in the US, but after the WWE pulled out of the NWA later in 1983, it seemed to nearly kill off the relationship with NJPW. It would continue for a couple of years including seeing Black Tiger vs The Cobra at MSG in December 1984, but most of the interaction between the two sides would occur in New Japan. Even then, that didn’t even last much longer. Since obviously this show was taped in December ‘82, we’re given the gift of one final Tiger Mask WWE bout. As for Saito, his two year run with the WWE, where he held the WWE Tag Titles with Mr. Fuji twice, had already ended by time this match aired. This is an entire show filled with guys that are either gone or just about gone with the company. Although this was mostly just an exhibition of moves since it was a five minute match, it was loads of fun. Much like the Jumping Bomb Angels in 1987-1988, Tiger Mask came into the WWE, impressed with his moveset, and was almost immediately gone. His spots are just amazing for the time period. We saw a dive over the top rope, moonsaulting to avoid a charge into the corner followed up with a kick, and a jumping and twisting his body to hit a sunset flip from the middle rope to score the pinfall. Even though Saito was mostly just there to feed to Tiger, Saito got in a few impressive looking suplexes as well. The pop for Tiger Mask’s dive over the top rope may have even been bigger than any of Snuka’s reactions earlier in the show. It’s such a shame that Tiger Mask’s time in the WWE was so short because he was clearly the most entertaining guy on the entire roster. ***

Superstar Billy Graham w/The Grand Wizard vs Israel Matia
    After losing the WWE Title to Bob Backlund in 1978, Graham quickly left the WWE only to return in mid 1982 with his new bald head, mustache, and karate look. Yet again, Graham is someone who is about to leave the WWE, to head back to the AWA and later JCP/WCW before finally returning to the WWE to end his career in 1987. To say this new gimmick of Graham was a dud would be an understatement. Sure, he was pushed hard when he returned in 1982, working many WWE Title matches against Backlund, but there was absolutely nothing interesting about Graham at this point. This was a short squash with Graham using a karata thrust to beat Matia in a minute. It’s a shame to see a guy, once oozing with personality, now devoid of anything interesting. SQUASH.

Up next is an edition of Rogers’ Corner. This early WWE talk show was hosted by former WWE Champion, Buddy Rogers. His guest on today’s episode is Rocky Johnson. Although Johnson had a brief run with the WWE at the very beginning of his career in 1969, his proper run with the company began in late 1982, where he’d remain one of the top midcarders until his career began to wind down in mid 1985. Not being booked on Wrestlemania 1 was likely a clear sign that McMahon had moved on beyond the need of having Johnson around. Rogers kicks off the interview by crediting Johnson has playing a major role in convincing Jimmy Snuka to ditch Capt. Lou and join Buddy Rogers. Johnson spends the interview interview just kissing Rodgers’ ass, talking about how he’s been learning so much from hanging out with Rogers and Snuka and any time they need him to team with Snuka against Capt. Lou and Ray Stevens, he’ll be there!

Salvatore Bellomo vs Tony Colon
    Sal is best known for being a well known WWE jobber in the mid 80’s. Although, at this point, Bellomo was still treated as a lowcarder. I don’t know how he did it, but in January 1984, Sal recieved WWE World Title and WWE IC Title shots at major house shows. After leaving the WWE around Wrestlemania 3, Bellomo would remain quiet until joining ECW and remaining a fixture in its early Eastern Championship Wrestling days where Bellomo lost to Jimmy Snuka in the finals of the ECW Title tournament to crown the company’s first ever champion. Colon was just a jobber between late 1981-mid 1984. Since Sal was just a lowcarder, Colon got in some offense and it sure wasn’t impressive. Colon LOVED to make huge stomps for every little punch or kick. You really don’t need to lift your leg up as high as it can go just to stomp the ring. Sal would win with a splash after bouncing off of the ropes. **

The Wild Samoans w/Capt. Lou vs Eddie Carson and Tony Rico
    After their initial run with the WWE in 1980 (Where they held the WWE Tag Titles twice), the Wild Samoans left the company at the start of 1981 only to return at the end of 1982. Carson and Rico are just a couple of jobbers with Carson being a former wrestler in Stampede. The Samoans ate up the jobbers and quickly got the pin. Pretty nice tag move with one of the jobbers forced to leap over a Samoan, only to be caught in a Hotshot by the second Samoan. SQUASH.

Mr. Fuji vs Bob Bradley
    With the Wild Samoans back in town to reclaim the spot as the #1 heel tag team from Fuji/Saito and with Saito returning to Japan, Fuji’s beginning to wind down his in ring career. Unless he’s in a six man tag against the likes of Jimmy Snuka or Andre the Giant, Fuji is just a lowcarder who sometimes teams with Tiger Chung Lee. By mid 1984, Fuji would start managing Don Muraco and George Steele to begin a decade+ as a manager. Bradley is a pretty popular jobber that if you watched any WWE weekly shows from around 1990, you had to have seen Bradley get squashed by someone. At this point, he’s really early in his career and looks a bit like Tim Horner. Short squash with Fuji killing time with a nerve hold before finishing Bradley off with a Vader Bomb (Fuji Bomb?) SQUASH.

Vince McMahon quickly wraps up the show by reminding the viewers about some of the winners on tonight’s show while promoting next week’s show, but my copy cuts off before he finishes. Big John Studd will be a part of the show though.

Overall
    Looking back, I find 1983 to be a really interesting year to watch. As I went on and on about, the company was about to undergo a major change with so many talent leaving and many coming in. To give you an idea of the significant talent changes, major January 1984 stars: Hulk Hogan, The Iron Sheik, Sgt. Slaughter, Tito Santana, Paul Orndorff, Roddy Piper, David Schultz, and the Masked Superstar (Demolition Ax), weren’t even in the company in January 1983. At this point, the roster is still very much so Vince Sr. guys, but we’re starting to see Vince Jr. change up the roster. On this card, Hennig vs Stevens and Tiger Mask vs Saito both stood out. For a short match, Hennig/Stevens was great. The story is timeless with the young Hennig getting a major boost in looking as if he could have gotten the win with better luck, but Stevens also gets the rub by showing that he’s a veteran and thus smarter than Hennig. Tiger Mask is someone I wished had wrestled more matches in the WWE because by January 1983 standards, Tiger Mask was INCREDIBLE. Although his match wasn’t anything special, the overness of Jimmy Snuka was very clear. They showed the clip of Snuka’s Superfly Splash multiple times throughout the show. The rest of the show was just a small taste of what the WWE was offering at the time.

Status

Superstars
    February 28, 1987

The commentary team of Vince McMahon, Jesse Ventura, and Bruno Sammartino open up the show with a rundown of the matches for tonight. Included are King Kong Bundy vs Billy Jack Haynes, The Honky Tonk Man will be in action, Tito Santana and The British Bulldogs will be guests on an edition of the Piper’s Pit, a Wrestlemania 3 report, but first, we go back to earlier this week with the special contract signing between Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant for their WM 3 match.

In a small office is a table with WWE President, Jack Tunney, Hulk Hogan, Mean Gene, Andre the Giant and Andre’s new manager - Bobby Heenan. Highlights include Tunney referring to Andre as “Mr. Roussimoff”, which I can’t recall the WWE ever referring to Andre by his last name while he was a life. From there, Bobby Heenan interrupts and demands that when Andre wins, Tunney commissions a new WWE Title to be made so that it can fit Andre’s waist. We wouldn’t see a new title for a year, but this is the very early foreshadowing of the debut of the Winged Eagle WWE Title. Heenan then reminds Hogan that he was such a lousy friend for not giving Andre a single WWE Title shot. That’s when Hogan interrupts and looks as if he’s about to snap. His blood pressure has to be through the roof as Hogan reiterates that all Andre had to do to get a title shot was to ask for it, but instead Andre chose to rip Hogan’s cross off of his neck instead. Andre gets a chance to talk and is a total 180 in personality from Hogan. He’s very cool, calm, and confident. Even smirking at how amped up Hogan is. Just to further get under Hogan’s skin, Andre speaks a bit in French before leaving. It’s funny, this contract signing is rare in that it didn’t include a single bit of physical altercation, but it actually made me want to re-watch their match. It sounds silly to say since it’s so obvious, but this match feels huge

King Kong Bundy w/Bobby Heenan vs Billy Jack Haynes
    A bit of build for Wrestlemania 3 as Haynes takes as a member of the Heenan Family in preparation for his Mania match against Heenan Family member Hercules. The match got to a quick start with Bundy going after Haynes and attempting an early Avalanche Splash, but Haynes moved out of the way. With Bundy back on offense, that allowed the commentators to discuss Bundy’s Wrestlemania 3 match with two midgets vs Hillbilly Jim and two midgets. We’re shown an inset promo with Hillbilly Jim, Little Haiti, and Little Beaver where Jim reassures his partners that he’ll protect them from a Bundy Avalanche. I do like how the WWE is more or less selling the six man tag as a match to witness Bundy squashing a midget. Since this is a Superstars match, it’s quickly wrapped up with Haynes finally getting on offense and attempting to lock in the Full Nelson. That’s Heenan’s cue to jump into the ring and strike Haynes from behind to draw the DQ to ensure that his man isn’t forced to give up on TV. A predictably short TV match, but for a Haynes match, any time where I’m not bored to tears, it’s a good outing. **

After the match, Haynes chases Heenan, but Hercules runs out and attacks Hercules. Bundy and Herc double teams Haynes with Hercules laying Haynes out with a lariat.

Sponsored by WWF Magazine is an edition of Update with Mean Gene. Mean Gene discusses the storyline involving George Steele’s crush on Miss Elizabeth include a recent event where Steele kidnapped her. We get a quick promo from Miss Elizabeth where she states that Steele’s a nice guy and that she isn’t worried that he’ll hurt her. Randy Savage bursts in and that’s all of that promo.

We’re shown a commercial for WWE’s LJN figures with the wrestlers singing. Holy shit, this is the greatest thing ever. Below is the ad with the video including a bonus commercial for WWF Stretch Wrestlers, that was not included in this episode of Superstars.

Sadly, since I became a fan as the WWE was moving away from LJN and were preparing for their deal with Hasbro, I only own a few LJN figures including Roddy Piper and Strike Force.

The Rougeau Brothers vs Dave Wagner and Rick Renslow
    A quick squash with the Rougeaus making quick work of the jobbers. The commentators are given time to bring up Dino Bravo’s hatred of the Rougeaus and we get an inset promo from a dark hair Bravo, talking in French, hyping the Rougeaus vs Dream Team match at Wrestlemania 3. Looking back, if it wasn’t for the fact that there were already two six man tags, I wonder if it would have made more sense to make the Mania 3 match be The Dream Team and Dino Bravo vs the Rougeau Brothers and a partner (Maybe a member of the Islanders or Lanny Poffo?) Rougeaus win with the assisted senton bomb. SQUASH.

To hype up this Monday’s house show in Long Island, Mean Gene bring in Hulk Hogan to discuss his match with Hercules w/Andre the Giant. Hogan announces that Billy Jack Haynes will be in his corner for the match to counter the fact that Andre will be in Herc’s corner. Mean Gene also brings up that Haynes will be wrestling Paul Orndorff at the house show as well. For the hell of it, I looked up the results of the show to see how it was and other than a Hart Foundation vs Rougeau Brothers match, it doesn’t look too good. Orndorff ended up not being a part of the show for whatever reason.

We’re shown a brief clip from the recent happening on an edition of the Snake Pit where Honky Tonk Man nailed Jake Roberts with a guitar.

Speaking of the Honky Tonk Man, as this was before the creation of “Cool, Cocky, Bad” theme song that is best remembered, Honky was still rocking to this original theme:

I...kinda love it? Cool, Cocky, Bad worked better for a heel Honky, but I find this forgotten theme to be much more catchy.

The Honky Tonk Man w/Jimmy Hart vs Jerry Monty
    Another quick squash with Jimmy Hart coming in for an inset promo where he hypes a Honky Tonk Man surprise during the Wrestlemania 3 Report later tonight. Honky, still wearing his original babyface suspenders based ring gear, finishes Monty off with Shake, Rattle, and Roll. SQUASH.

We’re shown a couple of quick Mean Gene interviews. First up is “Mr. Baseball” Bob Uecker. Uecker is pulling for Andre in the big WWE Title match. From there Mean Gene interviews Randy Savage with Savage dismissing any concerns about George Steele being in Ricky Steamboat’s corner at Wrestlemania. Bobby Heenan then interviews Mary Hart from Entertainment Tonight. While Hart loves Heenan’s red sequined jacket, she still thinks Heenan is a weasel.

Kamala w/The Wizard and Kim Chee vs David Stoudemire
    The most dominant squash of the show with Kamala manhandling the jobber. We’re shown an inset promo with newcomer, Jim Duggan. Duggan isn’t impressed with Kamala’s spear as he has his own trusty 2x4. Kamala wins with a top rope splash that sounds more impressive than it was. SQUASH.

Up next is an edition of Piper’s Pit. Before bringing out his guests, Piper cuts a promo on Adrian Adonis regarding their hair vs hair match at Wrestlemania 3. After that, Piper brings out his guests of The British Bulldogs and Tito Santana. If you’d like to play a drinking game, take a shot every time the trio says “Danny Davis”. We’re shown a clip of the recent Superstars match where the Hart Foundation beat the British Bulldogs for the WWE Tag Titles due to Danny Davis’ shoddy refereeing. The babyfaces promises revenge.

Now it’s time for the Wrestlemania 3 report with Mean Gene. We get the first announcement of a NEW WM 3 match being announced with The Honky Tonk Man vs Jake Roberts being the newest one added. Mean Gene adds that Alice Cooper will be in Roberts’ corner. A complete run down of WM 3 thus far:

The Can-Am Connection vs Don Muraco and Bob Orton Jr. w.Mr. Fuji
    Koko B. Ware vs Butch Reed w/Slick
    The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff vs The Killer Bees
    Hercules vs Billy Jack Haynes w/Bobby Heenan
    King Kong Bundy, Lord Littlebrook, and Little Tokyo vs Hillbilly Jim, Little Haiti, and Little Beaver
    The Junkyard Dog vs King Harley Race w/Bobby Heenan - Kneel and Bow Match
    The Rougeau Brothers vs The Dream Team w/Johnny V and Dino Bravo
    Randy Savage © w/Miss Elizabeth vs Ricky Steamboat w/George Steele - WWE IC Title
    The Hart Foundation and Danny Davis vs The British Bulldogs and Tito Santana
    Roddy Piper vs Adrian Adonis - Hair vs Hair - Piper’s Final Match
    Hulk Hogan © vs Andre the Giant w/Bobby Heenan w/WWE World Title
    The Honky Tonk Man w/Jimmy Hart vs Jake Roberts

And that would be the full card. A bit surprised that Honky/Roberts was the last match announced.

The Can-Am Connection and Lanny Poffo vs Adrian Adonis and The Dream Team w/Jimmy Hart, Johnny V, and Dino Bravo
    On paper, it seems odd to have Adonis in this match. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have Bravo, a member of Demolition (Then managed by Johnny V) or even Don Muraco/Bob Orton (Can-Am’s WM 3 opponents) in this match instead? However, it all becomes clear in time. While this match is short, I found it pretty entertaining. There was a fast pace and even Brutus managed to keep up with Zenk and Martel. The finish is where the angle comes into play. With Martel backed into the heel’s corner with Brutus, Adonis turns his back to get a pair of scissors from Hart. Once Adonis turns around, he doesn’t pay attention and proceeds to cut a bit of hair off of the wrestler in the corner. However, it’s when Adonis turned his back that Martel and Brutus switched places. Outraged over having his own hair cut, Brutus gets rolled up by Martel to give the underdogs an upset victory. A fun enough short match. ** ˝

After the match, Brutus has to be held back by Valentine and Bravo while Adonis and Hart bails. While it’s unknown at the time, we have just witnessed the first triggering event that led to the creation of Beefcake becoming “The Barber”. Once Wrestlemania 3 comes, Beefcake will be left by Valentine, Bravo, and Johnny V. Later on in the show, he’d get revenge on Adonis by helping Piper cut Adonis’ hair. That would then lead directly into Beefcake morphing into The Barber post-Mania.

We wrap up the show with Mean Gene hyping an upcoming Meadowlands live event featuring an one night tag team tournament with the winners challenging the Hart Foundation that very night. The Hart Foundation are brought out and they reveal they hope the British Bulldogs win the tournament so that they can easily show that they are the superior team. This one night tag tournament was done at a few different house shows in 1987 with the winners generally being surprises such as the advertised Meadowlands event being won by The Can-Am Connection. At some post-WM 3 tournaments, the New Dream Team even won a couple of them in an even odder move.

Overall
    While there wasn’t much of interest in match quality, there was a good deal of WM 3 build. The contract signing between Andre and Hogan was pretty darn great. Zero physical interaction between the two, but it made me want to re-watch a match I’ve seen many times already. There’s the announcement of a somewhat memorable Wrestlemania match in Honky Tonk Man vs Jake Roberts. The draw of this show for me was surprisingly Brutus Beefcake. I hadn’t been aware of this Adonis angle which played a big role in explaining why Beefcake cut Adonis’ hair at Wrestlemania 3. The angle came off a little poor due to how much you have to suspend your disbelief that Adonis didn’t realize that he was cutting Beefcake’s hair. Still, I liked that the WWE helped explain why Beefcake got involved in that Piper/Adonis angle. The rest of the show was just a small peak at what was going on in the WWE at the time. It was well worth watching this show just to see that LJN commercial.

Status

Primetime Wrestling
    January 4, 1993

We open up without the discussion panel and instead the show is hosted by Vince McMahon, regular member of the panel Bobby Heenan, and returning to Primetime Wrestling - Gorilla Monsoon. With this being the special final edition of Primetime Wrestling, Monsoon blames Heenan for the demise of the show. As a result, Heenan has not been invited to the premiere edition of a new WWE series, Monday Night Raw, next week.

We’re shown a clip of The Bobby Heenan Show, a very brief show that came about from Primetime Wrestling. In it, Heenan’s co-host, the nerdy Jamison, gets stepped on by a large woman. If you haven’t seen it, The Bobby Heenan Show remains one of the more unusual shows ever presented by the WWE.

The Headshrinkers w/Afa vs Tito Santana and Virgil
    In a nice touch, this final edition of Primetime Wrestling includes Afa and Santana, two men who actually wrestled on the very first episode of Primetime Wrestling way back in 1985. Although he had already left the WWE by time the WWE created Primetime Wrestling, Samu (Then known as Samula) had a couple of matches from ‘84 airing in Primetime’s first year too. This was a surprisingly good match. Perhaps even the best Headshrinkers WWE match that I can remember seeing. The Headshrinkers dominated the match with Virgil playing the face-in-peril for awhile. That built up to a Santana hot tag and while things initially looked good for an upset victory by the heels, Afa tripped Santana up during a flying forearm attempt. That led into a secondary face-in-peril sequence, this time with Santana. Again, there’s a hot tag with Virgil thinking that he has the match in his favor, but he makes the grave mistake of giving a double DDT to both members of the Headshrinkers. As expected, the Samoans no sell it. Virgil tries ramming their heads together, but they no sell that. The Headshrinkers give Virgil a double headbutt, which allowed Fatu to hit a top rope splash for the victory. This was certainly better than anything you’d see on the first episode of Raw. ***

Back in the studio, the hosts hype up the Royal Rumble. In the Royal Rumble match, thirty men will compete with the winner earning himself a shot at the WWE Title at Wrestlemania for the first time ever. Bobby Heenan predicts that Razor Ramon will be the next WWE Champion following his title shot against Bret Hart at the Rumble. McMahon and Monsoon have fun at Heenan’s expense, claiming Heenan cares more about Razor than Flair.

We’re shown another clip from a past edition of Primetime Wrestling where Heenan finds himself in the middle of a western movie shootout.

Terrific Terry Taylor vs Dale Wolfe
    Out of all of the acts that came into the WWE in 1993, one of the most forgettable has to be ‘Terrific’ Terry Taylor. Everyone remembers Taylor’s time in the WWE as the Red Rooster, but his far less memorable run as Terrific lasted an entire year between September 1992 and August 1993, but he didn’t do a single significant thing that entire time. In fact, the only reason why I remember this run is because he was a lumberjack in a Shawn Michaels/Jim Duggan Raw match that was a Coliseum Home Video tape that I owned as a kid. It’s a bit odd hearing Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan call this match, acting as if Taylor is strictly a new talent and doesn’t have his past with Heenan as The Red Rooster. The crowd couldn’t care less, even if everything was technically fine. Wolfe got in a single body slam, which is more offense than I expected. Taylor is looking so much like Ted DiBiase at this point that if he were to grow a beard, the WWE could have swapped him and DiBiase in Money Inc and it’d probably take people time to notice the change. Taylor would win with a Doctor Bomb-style power bomb. Although he’d have one last short run with WCW after this WWE run ended, this was Taylor’s last real chance and it was a failure. SQUASH.

We’re shown a commercial hyping a new WWE show, Mania. Tune in every Saturday morning! Although I’m sure I watched the show on a weekly basis at least in 1993, I can’t say I have any clear memories of the show. I do have a Christmas based memory of the debut of Dink the Clown, which may have been on Mania.

Bobby Heenan cuts a promo on Mr. Perfect, promoting the debut of a mystery man for Royal Rumble ‘93 that is even more perfect than Mr. Perfect. The Narcissist is coming to the WWE…

It’s time for a Royal Rumble Report with Mean Gene. First Mean Gene hypes the WWE Title contest between Bret Hart and Razor Ramon. We get a quick promo from Bret, acknowledging Razor’s recent attack on Owen Hart. Mean Gene then goes over the current entrants for the Royal Rumble match. We hear from Money Inc, the money and the title shot is worth fighting each other. We then hear from Ric Flair, who reminds everyone that he won the Royal Rumble last year. Mean Gene hypes the tag contest between Steiners and Beverly Brothers and we hear a quick and incredibly forgettable promo from the Steiner Brothers.

A WWE Hasbros figures commercial plays and wow, it feels dated. I suppose it’s not super old, but when you have Greg Valentine, a guy who hasn’t wrestled for the company since January 1992, it certainly feels dated. It’s the sort of ad I’d expect to see on WWE TV in late 1991.

Back in the studio, the hosts discuss the Royal Rumble match and how Yokozuna could possibly be eliminated. Could Earthquake do it? How about Ric Flair and a bunch of lackeys?

Another past Primetime Wrestling clip is shown with Bobby Heenan inviting Gorilla Monsoon to his yacht...that didn’t actually belong to Heenan.

Shawn Michaels © vs Skinner - WWE IC Title
    Although you could argue that Skinner was never truly a star in the WWE, but by this point he was nothing more than a JTTS. He’d be out of the company after WM 9. Personally, I always saw it as a really bad sign whenever there was a face vs face or heel vs heel match from this time period, and it wasn’t made to be some big deal. This was a pretty odd match in that both men wrestled as the heel, but it wasn’t exactly a heel vs heel, who can out cheat the other match. If Skinner was on offense, he’d threaten to hit the ref and ram Michaels into the ring post while Michaels essentially acted like a jobber. If Michaels was in charge, he’d drop Skinner neck first on the top rope with Skinner acting as the jobber. It’s a very weird dynamic as I’m not sure how the crowd was expected to care one way or another. It’s not a bad match though. Michales would win after hitting a surprise Super Kick to get the pinfall. ** ˝

In another Primetime Wrestling clip, Bret Hart paints elegantly to classic music while the Nasty Boys use spray paint elsewhere in the building.

More hype for this upcoming new WWE show, Monday Night Raw, where you can see anything except for Bobby Heenan.

Another past Primetime Wrestling clip is shown with Andre the Giant forcing Bobby Heenan to stomp grapes to make wine.

The Steiner Brothers vs Red Tyler and WT Jones
    Here it is, the final match in Primetime Wrestling history. Since Primetime was all about replaying previously viewed matches, this is the first ever Steiner Brothers televised WWE match, although it previously was shown on Wrestling Challenge yesterday. It’s 100% Steiners with both men hitting their big moves including a Rick power slam and a Scott belly-to-belly suplex. The Steiners would finish off the match with their Doomsday DDT that they did in WCW in the early 90’s. SQUASH.

In the final ever segment for Primetime Wrestling, the hosts hype next week’s debut of Monday Night Raw. Jamison (YES!!!) pops up to present Heenan with a Corny Award...made out of corn. Heenan is forced to run off of the stage before he vomits.

Overall
    On one hand, it’s sad to see the demise of Primetime Wrestling. On the other hand, it was time. The show had went through a few difficult overalls, with each new creation failing to garner many viewers. To me, what really hurt Primetime is the fact that WWE stopped running televised house shows in March 1992 (Although WWE stopped running non-MSG TV aired house shows in 1989) which took away the true value of this show. The appeal of the show, besides the traditional Heenan/Monsoon banter, was seeing house show matches that you couldn’t see unless you lived in the area. I do find it odd that Monday Night Raw ended up working. On paper, replacing one “Failure” of a wrestling show with a new one, shouldn’t bring on many changes. For a variety of reasons, Raw did end up becoming a success. In terms of pure wrestling quality, I do find this episode of Primetime Wrestling to be superior to the first episode of Raw. However, Raw in 1993 would end up producing a good little selection of quality matches. There’s not much value in watching this episode, but it is nice being able to say I have now watched the final ep of Primetime Wrestling.

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

For some reason I can't get over how much the crowd went crazy when tiger mask dived to the outside.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    For some reason I can't get over how much the crowd went crazy when tiger mask dived to the outside.
    You gotta remember that this is 1983 (Technically 1982 when this was taped), seeing a suicide dive to the outside? That was crazy as fuck.
    Last edited by Jim; 08-04-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Status

Monday Night Raw
    January 11, 1993

Sean Mooney opens up the show outside of the Manhattan Center. Just moments ago, this location was filled with fans waiting to get into the show. Bobby Heenan shows up, but it informed by Mooney that he’s not going to be able to get in and there’s not even any tickets left to be sold. What a travesty.

Inside of the Manhattan Center are the original Raw commentating team - Vince McMahon, Randy Savage, and...Rob Bartlett.

Yokozuna w/Mr. Fuji vs Koko B. Ware
    At this point, Fuji still has hair and Koko is still a member of High Energy with Owen Hart. Bartlett is already greatly annoying me by making one joke about Yokozuna after another. Yoko is supposed to be a monster, not someone you laugh about him wearing a diaper. This would be a total squash with Koko trying to knock Yoko back with a series of drop kicks, but Yoko barely even moved. After Yoko tires of just standing around and letting Koko fail, he gets in some offense with a leg drop and then finishes Koko off with a Banzai Drop to win the first ever Raw match. SQUASH.

A quick video is shown promoting the Royal Rumble. It’s going to be Bret Hart defending the WWE Title against Razor Ramon.

Bobby Heenan cuts a taped promo against Mr. Perfect. He knows Perfect is concerned about the upcoming debut of The Narcissist. Heenan can’t wait to debut The Narcissist at the Royal Rumble.

The Steiner Brothers vs The Executioners
    The masked jobber team of The Executioners are Duane “Gillberg” Gill and Barry Hardy. Doink the Clown is shown messing around in the audience throughout this squash. In typical Steiners squash fashion, it’s a manhandling with Rick, in particular, looking like he’s enjoying being able to just hurt someone. One of the Executioners is whipped so hard into the ropes that he falls face (...mask?) first into the ropes. Steiners win with their Doomsday Bulldog. SQUASH.

Back outside of the Manhattan Center, Sean Mooney comes across a woman trying to get into the building. She claims to be Rob Bartlett’s mother before Mooney realizes it’s just Bobby Heenan in drag.

In the ring, Vince McMahon brings out the #1 contender to the WWE Title, Razor Ramon. Ramon laughs at Bret Hart for taking 8 ˝ years to become WWE Champion as Razor will do it in only 8 ˝ months. We’re shown a clip from WWF Mania with Razor attacking Owen Hart. Razor predicts victory at the Royal Rumble. Looking back, Razor was such a weak choice for a Bret PPV Title defense at this point in time. Same thing goes for Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series ‘92. It’s Bret’s first title reign, give him some real stars to beat!

A quick plug for WWE’s Headlock on Hunger benefit show coming later in the month at MSG. Top matches for this card included Bret Hart defending the World Title against Bam Bam Bigelow, Shawn Michaels defending the IC Title against Bob Backlund, and Ric Flair vs Mr. Perfect.

Shawn Michaels © vs Max Moon - WWE IC Title
    Max Moon would be the third and final character for Paul Diamond in the WWE. He began as just a jobber named Paul Diamond in 1990, then donned a mask as Kato (Of the Orient Express) in late 1990, and finally swapped masks to become Max Moon in late 1992. Despite being a decent worker, this final character was a bomb, despite all of the money the WWE initially put into it when it was supposed to be for Konnan. The biggest negative for this match is Rob Bartlett. He’s awful. Not quite as bad as Michael Cole 2011, but he spends the entire match telling “Jokes” and not a single one of them were even smirk worthy. Halfway into the match, Bartlett starts his dreadful Mike Tyson imitation and I’m wishing death for myself. The actual match was mostly good though. Max Moon tried to impress with a series of moves including a running Lou Thesz Press from the apron to the outside where he teabagged Michaels. Max Moon would later hit a Finlay style roll, which I can’t remember seeing around this time period. The commentators discuss the fact that if Max Moon can win, the IC Title match for Royal Rumble would be Moon defending against Marty Jannetty, which actually has me curious. The finish is pretty good as Michaels hits the super kick to set-up for the Tear Drop Suplex, but Moon counters out of it. Michaels would then avoid a shot by Moon and immediately hit a successful Tear Drop for the victory. Still, Bartlett’s commentary makes this match a rough match to endure to no fault of Michaels or Moon. ** ˝

Royal Rumble Report time with Mean Gene. Just announced is an IC Title match between Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty. Sherri will be at ringside, but in whose corner?! We hear comments from HBK who is confident that Sherri will be in his corner. Jannetty claims January 24th will be known as Marty Jannetty Day as it will be the day he’ll take Shawn’s title, end his career, and that Michaels doesn’t know Sherri as well as he thinks he does. Mean Gene then hypes up the Royal Rumble match. We hear comments from Mr. Perfect who gloats about being perfect. Then we hear comments from Mr. Fuji and Yokozuna. Fuji knows that no one can move his Yokozuna. Since last week’s final edition of Primetime Wrestling, new entrants have been announced including Jim Duggan, Tito Santana, Genichiro Tenryu, Typhoon, and The Headshrinkers. Hearing comments from Duggan, he can’t guarantee a win, but he’ll give it his all! The fuck? Congrats on being the first guy in Royal Rumble history to not believe that you’re going to win. Have some confidence in yourself, Jim!

Back outside of the Manhattan Center, people are lining up to buy tickets for next week’s edition of Raw. That’s when a Rabbi shows up trying to get into the building. Surprise, surprise, it’s Bobby Heenan in another disguise. That jerk, Sean Mooney, refuses to let The Brain in the building.

We’re shown a clip from the recent edition of Superstars where after a squash victory, Kamala was berated by Harvey Wippleman and Kim Chee when the returning Rev. Slick came out to defend Kamala. Slick is punched out, causing Kamala to turn face, chasing his former managers out of the building.

The Undertaker w/Paul Bearer vs Damien Demento
    Demento was such an odd wrestler in the WWE. He had the look of one of those awful monsters that Taker had feuds with in the early to mid 90’s, but Demento didn’t do a single thing. He had a few matches on TV (This being the most well known), appeared in the Royal Rumble match, and then mostly just jobbed to lowcarders like Bob Backlund, Tito Santana, and Virgil on house shows. Despite being the main event, this was nothing more than a glorified squash. Demento tried punching Taker out at the start of the match, but then Taker quickly began going through his moveset including Old School. After given the sign from Bearer, Taker hits the Tombstone for the victory. Squash was fine, but Bartlett is awful. SQUASH.

Vince McMahon interviews Doink the Clown at ringside regarding Crush’s recent threat about Doink harassing children with his mean, mean pranks. Doink laughs off Crush. That brings out Crush for the official first meeting between the two. Crush again warns Doink about his unfunny pranks. Doink responds by squirting Crush with a squirt gun. Crush chases Doink around thering, but Doink manages to escape. The Crush/Doink program has officially begun!

Back outside of the Manhattan Center and we have some HUGE news. Sean Mooney has gotten word that Bobby Heenan has been allowed in the building finally! An excited Heenan opens the door to enter and...the show ends.

Overall
    For the first episode of a new series, the WWE sure didn’t try too hard. I’ve made mentions of this in the past, but typically when there’s a new wrestling show, the company puts a lot of effort into making the episode far bigger than what a normal episode would end up becoming. Look at some of the matches included in first episodes in WWE history:

Superstars (2009) - The Undertaker vs Matt Hardy
    Main Event (2012) - Sheamus vs CM Punk
    Action Zone (1994) - Bret Hart vs Owen Hart
    Sunday Night Heat (1998) - The Rock and Owen Hart vs Mankind and Kane
    NXT (2010) - Chris Jericho vs Daniel Bryan
    Smackdown (1999) - The Rock vs Triple H
    Primetime Wrestling (1985) - Hulk Hogan vs Big John Studd

Meanwhile, Raw’s biggest match in the debut episode is...I guess Shawn Michaels vs Max Moon? Maybe Yokozuna vs Koko B. Ware? I just watched the final episode of Primetime Wrestling and its matches of Tito Santana vs Samu and Shawn Michaels vs Skinner is on the same level as Raw’s matches. So for a big match feel, this first Raw was a failure. Another massive failure was the debut of Rob Bartlett. For a guy whose job is to be a comedian, he was incredibly unfunny and time after time would undercut meaningful stars by telling silly jokes about them instead of playing them up as the stars that they were. Considering the fact that this first episode was supposed to be a more adult-based program than their other shows, it didn’t come across that way at all. While the WWE would find ways of making Monday Night Raw feel important, this first episode can’t be seen as anything other than a dud. Thankfully, Bobby Heenan and his failed attempts of getting into the building did add some fun in the show.

Thread Information