Thread: WWE's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: September 2012

HOSS MOD

Status

WWE's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: September 2012

*insert fancy GFX here*

Greetings, fellow forum members!

Being a bit of a historian myself and considering how much of our time as pro wrestling fans is spent looking forward, I thought it might be a bit fun to take a look back at the month prior and do a bit of reflecting. After all, those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Shame the WWE has problems learning that lesson, but what are you going to do?

So here I present WWE's "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly," a three-point retrospective on WWE's storylines, characters, and angles from the month prior. Here's how it works:

THE GOOD: This is reserved for the angle, character, or storyline that's just been eight different flavors of AWESOME. The Good is reserved only for that one thing the WWE did right and has you looking forward to how they follow up with it.

THE BAD: This is for that one angle or character that fell flat. It's for that one thing that you felt had potential and may yet turn out well, but for whatever reason didn't resonate with your or left you scratching your head.

THE UGLY: This little designation is for that one thing that left you asking "What in the blue hell were they thinking?" Perhaps it's a character that jumped the shark, or an angle or gimmick that just left you shaking your head wondering just what in God's name was WWE's Creative Team thinking.

If this catches on, I'm thinking of making it a monthly tradition. So go ahead and post what you thought was the WWE's Good, Bad, and Ugly for the month of September and your reasons for why you think that way.

I'll be sharing my own Good, Bad, and Ugly as well.

WWE Mod

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Re: WWE's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: September 2012

Great thread idea.

THE GOOD: Don't even need to weigh up the options, it's Kane and Daniel Bryan. Not only are the segments hilarious but the tag division seems to have benefited since they became champions against the rather bland Kofi/Truth pairing. Not only did they have a whole episode of Smackdown revolving around them and the titles, now we have an exciting tag team tournament to look forward to which will decide their next challengers. I feel a sense of optimism for the tag teams of the WWE which I haven't felt for a long time, and you can't tell me it would've happened without Kane and Bryan. I love it.

THE BAD: Ryback. This fits the category of 'left me scratching my head'. I'm a massive fan of Ryback but I'm really confused and worried about the possibility of Ryback vs Punk. And that's because I really like both guys. I was really excited about the prospect of Ryback vs Miz in an IC title feud. Instead he beat Miz easily and stared Punk down on last weeks Raw. They could still do the IC title feud but I wouldn't have had Ryback make any contact at all with the WWE champion for a long while yet. I want Ryback to be the one who beats Miz for the title but I want him to do it and remain undefeated. (Cheap plug: I wrote about my little idea for this feud in my Book It thread this month) I don't want Ryback to be beaten by Punk but I don't want it the other way around either. I'm still really interested in where they're taking Ryback, but I could see it ending badly.

THE UGLY: The way Dolph Ziggler's being booked. Two PPV losses since he won the briefcase. I know he has a year to cash that in but he's hinting that he'll do it soon and he's hardly looked strong lately. He tapped to Jericho who was on the way out and then lost to Orton clean at NOC. Beating Kofi for the 100th time, while guaranteed a good match, isn't going to make people buy into him as a world champion. If Del Rio and Big Show can go over Randy clean then why not Ziggler? It's the one thing that's annoying me the most currently because I don't want his title reign to be instantly forgettable but they're not filling me with a lot of hope. And I do remember how Bryan was booked before winning it but I wasn't a fan of that booking either. I think it's about time they gave Ziggler some big wins before they even think about doing the cash-in.
    Last edited by Davey Boy; 10-01-2012 at 01:19 PM.

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

I concur, good thread idea Mr T.

THE GOOD:
    I'll say the same answer most people will give, Team Friendship. Fuck September, this is the best thing they've done creatively all year, it's the best WWE Comedy writing in years and best of all, it's not just benefiting Kane and Daniel Bryan, it's rejuvenating the tag division itself. Whoever's writing this stuff, give them a raise.

THE BAD: The Trio of Heath Slater, Drew McIntyre and Jinder Mahal teaming up to be the new job squad. When I watched the attack on big Brodus Clay I was confused because I hadn't read the spoilers and couldn't work the fuck out what's going on seeing as though they hadn't really crossed paths before. I'm very sceptical that this could be a success because the three of them have no chemistry together, only Drew is a above average worker, Slater's the only one with charisma (and that's limited to being a douche) and providing you don't watch NXT where Jinder got a decent push, all three of them have been on job duty the whole year, so why should we take them seriously as a threat. The only reason this isn't in Ugly yet, is because you can't really judge the success of the storyline yet as it's only just started, but my money is on an absolute flop though.

THE UGLY:
    Ted Dibiase's brilliant return from injury. What's that? you didn't see it. That's because Ted returned on the preshow battle royal at Night of Champions, his entrance only lasted 5 seconds, and was eliminated fairly quickly without eliminating anyone himself. I'm not saying Ted should of had a grand return that gets hyped for weeks and weeks and then wins the IC belt in his first match, but what he got was pathetic and did him no favours at all, I'll bet some people here didn't even know he was back because I think he's been on Superstars duty since then.

HOSS MOD

Status

THE GOOD: Really, is it anything else? Kane and Daniel Bryan has been the single greatest thing to emerge from last month, maybe even this entire year. The comedy's been spot-on and the tag team division hasn't been this entralling for YEARS. The segments featuring the two have been great fun and the in-ring antics have been just as hilarious, and the two holding the belts as the newest odd couple tag team has cast a spotlight on the tag team division, and it has answered the call thanks to a tournament (a tag team tournament? WHAT A CONCEPT!). There's plenty of miles left on this program, so I'm definitely on board for more "Team Friendship? Hell No" shenanigans.

THE BAD: Antonio Cesaro's reign as United States Champion has left me perplexed, and not in the good way. Why was it so important to split him up from Aksana? Seeing as I've not heard any reports of her being canned, the only thing I can think of is that they want to have her get better in-ring and use her in that role. Still, the fact that Cesaro's been given little to no time as the bloody champion and continues to feud with the perennial joke that is Santino Marella doesn't fill me with joy. Still, it's not been all bad, and I can only hope that Cesaro crushing Marella cleanly last episode of Smackdown opens the door for bigger and better things for the Very European United States Champion.

THE UGLY: The Miz's recent booking as the Intercontinental Champion. I don't get it...the guy was doing so well up to Night of Champions, winning a Fatal 4-Way against two legitimate challengers and Sin Cara (yeah, he's been better, but still), but ever since the decision was made to have Ryback face him he's come off as little more than a joke. Bad enough that Ryback squashed him in a non-title match on free TV, but that MizTV segment with Sheamus didn't do him a lot of favors what with Sheamus taking a page out of Triple H's playbook and calling the bloody IC Champion a joke and irrelevant. This was really an ugly month for The Miz, but thankfully I don't think it's going to continue much further.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

I don't conform to your colour stereotype. I do things my own way

THE GOOD

Erm..... Gotta be the entire Tag Team Division for me. The Usos are the most easy-to-get-behind face team in a long long while in the WWE, PTP have the whole threatening worldbeater heel shtick nailed (as long as Darren doesn't speak ), Kane & DBry are as good a makeshift Tag as we have ever seen, Epico & Primo are a fantastic midcard team that could have an easy feud anytime based around Rosa being smoking, The Ascension are tearing it up in NXT, The Rhodes Scholars look like a class act, I love that pairing (gives Cody something to do and allows Sandow to lose without being weak) . It's all go from a Tag front baby, I am so so impressed.

THE BAD

Wade Barrett and his return have been hellishly underwhelming. So he's gone from the vanquisher of Randy Orton to elbowing jobbers on a Friday Night? Nah, not happy. This whole mysterious bare knuckle shtick is rubbish, Wade's great strength is on the mic, and this doesn't seem like the type of gimmick that talks a lot. Needs a rethink for me.

THE UGLY
    The whoring out of Jerry Lawlers heart attack for a cheap segment on MNR. I'm sorry, I didn't like it. I know it wasn't meant in bad taste, I know many people want to see and hear from Lawler to make sure he's ok and all, and I understand that. I just don't like how Michael Cole has gone from being a total arsewipe to King (even embarrassing him at Mania), to now being a card carrying member of the Save the King Foundation. I understand there are moments that need to be addressed, of which Lawlers heart attack at ringside was one of them, but to show replays, and phone him when he's recovering and going on and on about it nonstop on TV seems a bit offbase to me, and makes me feel uneasy. A simple segment at the top of the show saying we wish you all the best in recovery and hope to have you back soon is enough and just as if not more respectful then continuously going on about it on an entertainment show. Smells slightly of to me, but I'm probably wrong.

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2018 - 20/15/1 - 4th in Regular Season, 2nd Overall

Intercontinental Champion

Status

THE GOOD: It's a toss up between Punk's segment with Mick Foley and Bryan & Kane. From a personal point of view I have to go with Punk & Foley, a great intense segment that meant we go the great Mick Foley back to a serious nature and Punk has knocked everything out of the park when it comes to the mic since turning heel. I'm really enjoying everything that has Punk involved at the moment (he is one of my favourites but enjoying him more than ever) and he is really driving the show forward in Cena's absence.

THE BAD: The AJ situation is dragging. I love AJ and enjoy her as a performer but her character has me confused and now bored. Is she a heel? Is she a face? Also it may have something to do with me being bored of GM's being fired and trying to find a new one, which is obviously where this is going. This week for instance when she suddenly announced that her "coach" was intimidated, where did that come from?! Wade Barrett has just told her she is doing a rubbish job and she just turns and says this guy is intimidated, it's obviously not her but the script and creative which is a shame because a few months ago she was the hottest thing in wrestling but there you go WWE does this all too often.

THE UGLY: I know this is techincally October but Ryback's botch on this RAW, it was just ugly...

HOSS MOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestEarth View Post
    THE UGLY: I know this is techincally October but Ryback's botch on this RAW, it was just ugly...
    Well, one botch isn't exactly something to get too worked up about, and certainly not something that's a storyline, promo, angle, or character that's just horrendous.

And this thread's for stuff in September.

Now had this been a wrestler who has continuously botched despite getting ample TV time, that might be something worth looking into.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    de=Germany

THE GOOD: Bryan/Kane for obvious reasons. They own RAW and SMACKDOWN, and I hope that this goes on for quite a while.

THE BAD: Where do I start? Wade Barrett's comeback was pretty horrible. Brodus is always horrible. The outlook of Ryback facing Punk is horrible. And Cody teaming with Sandow is even more horrible.

THE UGLY: JBL and JR. So we had JBL and JR both of whom outclassed every active RAW and SMACKDOWN announcer by a mile, and now it seems to get back to the awful old teams. After all, it showed me again how horrible these "normal" guys usually are.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T View Post
    Well, one botch isn't exactly something to get too worked up about, and certainly not something that's a storyline, promo, angle, or character that's just horrendous.

And this thread's for stuff in September.

Now had this been a wrestler who has continuously botched despite getting ample TV time, that might be something worth looking into.
    Yeah and that's the reason why I said I know it was in October, also I haven't seen anything on RAW that I can say has been "Ugly". I don't watch Smackdown as I don't enjoy it and I can't moan about how other people have been booked. I remember Daniel Bryan lost every match when he won the MITB briefcase and then he won the World Heavyweight title so I don't really pay attention to superstars losing a lot. Maybe I will think of something...

Team Cyrus T

Status
      Country                    us=United States

THE GOOD: For the good, I'll have to go with a few of the other guys and say it's the tag division as a whole. Team Friendship in particular( I refuse to call them Team Hell No). I love The Teddy Long Tag Team Invitational Tournament. The pairings of Rey/Sin Cara and The Rhodes Scholars have been fun to watch. The Usos, Kidd/Gabriel, Kofi/Truth, and Epico/Primo are always entertaining in the ring. The PrimeTime Playas are probably the second best thing going for the tag division and I can not wait for The Ascension to ascend(sorry had to) up the ladder to Raw. There's reason to be excited about the tag division again fellas. I don't think it's ever going away as long as Teddy Long is employed by the WWE. Honorable mention goes to CM Punk and Paul Heyman's partnership along with Punk's title reign.

THE BAD: For the bad, I'll go with Wade Barrett's return. I was very excited about his return. The video packages before his returned had me pumped for a ruthless Wade Barret and now I get Kassius Ohno's finisher instead of Wasteland? I don't need to see Barrett beat Yoshi Tatsu and Justin Gabriel to know he belongs near the top. Before the his return some of us were thinking Barrett would return and possibly win MITB or even challenge Sheamus or the Christian for a title. Honorable mention goes to the continued deterioration of the Diva's division with the news of Kelly Kelly, Beth Phoenix, and Raquel Diaz leaving.

THE UGLY: I won't be too negative. I'll just say the ugly for September has been the Raw Actives(Team Hell No? Lawler/Punk in a cage?) The touts from fans and all the Social Media Ambassadors just don't do it for me. I'd rather watch the same John Cena is Lord promo over and over again rather than hear what Criss Angel or Larry King has to say about how much of a bad guy CM Punk is(pouty face). Honorable mention goes to the how bad The Encore will end up being.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

THE GOOD: Only one real answer to this tbh and its team hellno or friendship or whatever WWE wants to call them. Everything from the promos to the matches are gold. Not to mention it has been a gateway to making the tag division much more interesting again. The most interesting it's been in a very long time. Those two are simply much watch TV right now. Guys like Rhode Scholars, PTP & Cara/Rey have been given a good role on the show thanks to it all. Great stuff WWE.

THE BAD: The midtitle divisions after looking like they were gonna provide some interesting stuff in there new champs has pretty much fallen flat with some questionable booking on the parts of both Miz & Cesaro. Why WWE let Aksana go from Cesearo is beyond me and why Miz loses one week and wins the next is also beyond me. the booking of both guys has just been kinda weird. Guess WWE are just unsure what to do with them right now and so are just going through the motions while they figure it out.

THE UGLY: Barretts return. Honestly I havent kept up with much Wrestling since Summerslam only really watched NOC and the odd Raw here and there but I didnt even know this guy was back until I saw him on Raw last week. Just kinda hit me outta nowhere. Could have done a little bit more with him but I guess with Orton gone for the time being and both Midtier title holders being heel there isn't a great deal to do with him.

On Vacation

Status

The Good I have to go with the majority here and say team Hell No. Just a couple of months ago Kane was heading to be heading for WWOTY award, now he's part of the most entertaining thing on the show. Kane has done the odd couple team a few times(X-Pac, The Hurricane & Rob Van Dam) but nothing has clicked as well as this. When Kane first got introduced to the Bryan/Punk feud a few months back I was fearing the worse, and when Bryan moved away from the title scene to have a singles feud with Kane I was fearing even more but it has turned into the best thing Kane has done in years and have become the most interesting tag team since The Miz & John Morrison.

The Bad The Intercontinental Championship. This belt use to mean something, it was the second most important belt in the company, it used to headline house shows and often it used to be the title was involved in the best match on the show, now all the current champion does is get squashed by half the company. How are we meant to take the champion seriously when he loses nearly every match?

The Ugly Tensai. Right after Wrestlemania the former Albert/A-Train came to the company after a successful spell in Japan and started like an house on fire and even beat John Cena in the main event of an episode of Raw, at one point it looked like he was about to embark on a summer feud with John Cena. A few months on and things have changed, after failing to get over with the WWE audience the company seems to have given up on him and he is even lower than he was before he left the company, he has become a jobber to half the company. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get his P45 within the next few months.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

THE GOOD: Daniel Bryan and Kane is the obvious choice here. Moving past that, I would also nominate DOLPH ZIGGLER, who, despite poor booking, continues to be one of the most entertaining aspects of WWE. The crowd chanting "Ziggler's Better!" during his bout with Randy Orton was music to my ears. At least someone in the arena is noticing!

THE BAD: TENSAI. I can't put this in 'ugly,' because to me, that suggests severe disappointment, and I would have had to believe Tensai/Albert/Matt capable of pulling his weight before I could be disappointed in him not doing so. And honestly, in a schadenfreude kind of way, it can be fun watching their attempt to force-feed someone into the main event backfire, so this isn't as negative as it could have been. At least Tyson Kidd got a televised win, right? In some ways, this might have been for the best. He could have come back as Matt Bloom and deprived us of the laughably bad gimmick and wonderfully cheesy promo videos while being just as boring. Or he could have come back as Albert and tanked similarly, which would have gone one step further and tarnished my memories of a lovable mid-card character.

Tensai can still return to Japan and be "the man" if he wants to. Wade Barrett, on the other hand, isn't established anywhere else, is even further from the top spot than he was before he left, and despite good promos for his return, seems to be accelerating downward...

THE UGLY: WADE BARRETT. Total waste of his time away. He helped put the Undertaker down but because Taker never really addressed it, it's as though it never happened. He put Orton out of action, but the Viper is perfectly capable of doing so himself. Besides from the half-baked Nexus, there's not a lot to say about Wade Barrett's accomplishments. Even before he left, the "Barrett Barrage" sounded ridiculous because:
    1. It's silly.
    2. It implies aggression, but still sounds silly.
    3. It describes an aggression that is no different than most of what we see on WWE.

Now he's continuing the schpiel as though it worked the first time and, at least to me, comes off as a wrestler that's a mark for himself, completely oblivious to how ineffectual he actually is. Watching Wade feels like watching Santino, except that Wade isn't as entertaining or self-aware and Santino's catchphrases are intentionally stupid.

I would love to care about Wade Barrett and I'm hoping that, at some point, WWE will give me a reason to. Hopefully we get to see Kassius Ohno arrive soon, with the intention of teaching Barrett what a real rolling elbow looks like. For now, Barrett and his "barrage" are pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
    The Bad The Intercontinental Championship. ... How are we meant to take the champion seriously when he loses nearly every match?
    And if we're not supposed to take the champion seriously, why is he the champion?

Weak Champions

When used infrequently, a lackluster title holder is fine, especially when there's more to the story (i.e. a wrestler who is fortunate to have the opportunity in the first place, nevermind actually winning the thing). But when it's just "the state of things" and not the impetus for a program, it tells me they're either desperate or apathetic. I'm not sure which. They seem to have very little respect for secondary titles and no semblance of a plan for either belt's "story," lately (this can probably be said about most wrestlers, actually). Maybe that's the cost of gaining an interesting tag division when there are so many belts in the company.

Weak Main Event Scene

If I had to guess, I'd say they're being too careful with the challengers because there are so few "sure things" in their main event scene that they don't want to risk hurting any hopefuls by having a completely dominant champion. Granted, WWE has a very short term memory, so a slew of losses to an Intercontinental or United States champion seems like it would be yesterday's 'yesterday's news' by the time opportunity knocks, but that's really the only explanation I can think of for booking the titles into obscurity.

Intercontinental Confusion

The best thing that's happened with either belt in recent years was Cody Rhodes bringing back the white belt and vowing to create a new legacy for the championship. He seemed to be delivering on that promise until Big Show won the belt for no reason, only to lose it back to Cody within a month. Why not have a Big Show distraction cause Cody to lose the belt to someone else, thus setting up a new program? Whatever. So Cody loses the belt to Christian when Christian returns because Christian really needed the Intercontinental title for a month (sarcasm) and then Christian loses it to The Miz when the Miz returns, because the Miz needs something to do, and now we wonder what's going on as though WWE is known for its consistency.

The problem seems to be that they have too many belts for their roster and not enough challengers who can afford to lose clean without repeating programs over and over. That last bit does not apply to the World Championship, obviously. The only positive I can take from this is that it frees up Cody Rhodes for a main event scene that desperately needs him.
    Last edited by The Natural; 10-03-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Merry Christmas

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

The Good: The WWE's work with the tag team division or rather remembering they had such a division. Some great teams and a reasonable amount of air time given. Notable surprise surprise Team Hell No. From Anger Management to hugging out to just about anything they do right now is gold and why they deservedly hold the gold. Not only are they a great team but hey have done what Truth Boom or whatever they are called never could do. Bring interest to the titles. Hell, there's even a tournament going on now for the number one contender spot. Shows how far things have come in a month. Not all in thans ot Team Hell No but they played a mighty big part.

The Bad:
    That calamity of finding the US champ a challenger. A battle royal at the NOC pre show. Was just lazy booking and that guy just lost anyway and has not continued to feud for the title. SO the WWE successfully solidified the US title as the "filler" championship. Who is he feuding with for the title again at the moment?

The Ugly:
    What I would describe as the Jerry Lawler saga. First of all the whole feud with Punk, I though was stupid. He didn't need to do that Punk and Cena had a perfectly logical feud before Lawler was thrown in the picture, And we move on to the unfortunate heart attack. Now don't get me wrong what happened was bad and I feel for him. But did they REALLY need to have him TOUT from hospital, did they really need to interview him. Let the man rest up off camera. Give us updates, sure. But let him rest. And NOW apparently he is to be returning? I know it now crosses into this month but this IS aimed at Jerry. Go home, rest up and get off the road for a while. He had a heart attack it should be a sign to give it a rest for a while.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

THE GOOD: I suppose I'll follow suit, and say that it's been Team Friendship. Each segment or match they've been in has been pure comedic gold, and it's been something I anticipate each week because it's just so entertaining. Plus, like others have said, it's breathing some life back in to the tag team division so that's good.

THE BAD: I dunno I suppose I'll go with The Miz's reign as IC Champion. Cyrus pointed out that ever since Night of Champions Miz has been made out to look like some sort of joke, and being a Miz fan I don't particulary care for it.

THE UGLY: Again, I dunno to be honest. I don't really like to be too negative when it comes to anything, but I suppose I'll just go with Tensai. I think his return was sort of outshined because it was the same night that Brock Lesnar returned, but I can't really think of him having done anything that was even remotely interesting lately.

Banner credit: Booty

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

HOSS MOD

Status

Well, folks, for a trial run on this little side project of mine, I'd say it's done rather well. Certainly enough for another go once October's over.

Of course, if you haven't shared your "Good, Bad, and Ugly" from September yet, please feel free to do so!

Thanks to everyone who participated and shared their opinions!

Thread Information