Loochy Zbearsko

Status
      Country                    Liechtenstein

Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Mutoh beat Go for the title

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

never change NOAH.
    Sounds like a Title win á la Hogan's first WCW one.

...or maybe not. I think Mutoh had some matches in Noah before, right?

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Mutoh beat Go for the title

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

never change NOAH.
    LOL

And theyve got a new logo that I think is a step backwards too. NOAH are terribad. Truly no idea how to do anything new and far too reliant on their current, dwindling, aging fanbase.

I suppose I would find it tough deciding between Go and Mutoh as champ as well tbh. At least one has been over in their career.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 02-12-2021 at 08:01 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by The Living Loocha Legend View Post
    Sounds like a Title win á la Hogan's first WCW one.

...or maybe not. I think Mutoh had some matches in Noah before, right?
    How so?

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Decided to translate some of the Japanese tweets under NOAH's tweet showing the Mutoh win and literally every one of them that I read (about a dozen or so) were positive. Anecdotal and what not. Crowning a 58 year old champion definitely isn't my thing.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

It's just dumb to put Muto over after Go's title reign did so much for them. Muto means nothing as a draw, especially to NOAH. W-1 was nothing with him as the top star, in fact AJPW struggled with him in charge too.

NOSAWA is such a mark and it's a shame because the show leading up to the main event was good, a zillion times better than those horrible NJPW shows this weekend, then to end it like that, at their biggest show in a decade is just comical. Crazy stuff but NOSAWA is clearly booking for his friends at this point.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NOAH is definitely a NOSAWA and Friends promotion. Kendo Kashin is now in a National Title Match. Kashin hasn't been anything since 2003. It's terrible. Muto is a legend so a title win at his age is an achievement that fans will be positive about but it doesn't seem like something that's going to work long term unless Kiyomiya beats him right away.

WAKE UP

Status

NOSAWA Rongai is booking NOAH? Good grief. One of the all time hanger-ons who's sucked his whole career but managed to get booked everywhere because of who he's friends with
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlywhiskers View Post
    Decided to translate some of the Japanese tweets under NOAH's tweet showing the Mutoh win and literally every one of them that I read (about a dozen or so) were positive. Anecdotal and what not. Crowning a 58 year old champion definitely isn't my thing.
    It's big in kayfabe for Muto so there's likely some fans of him who will be happy. In general, he is more well liked than Go Shiozaki amongst fans as well so there's that as well I'd guess. There will definitely be a contingent of fans who reject Go completely too (and have done so since he came about). I can see most native NOAH-type fans being hyped and happy about this to a degree.

Nosawa booking NOAH is lulz but they may as well do anything at this point. They've shat the bed consistently for years. NOAH just doing another NOAH thing.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Continuing with the old farts being booked as champs philosophy, DDT have now got Jun Akiyama as KO-D champ. I suppose DDT have done a decent enough job of building younger talent that this really won't matter (in comparison to NOAH) but still... how or why is this being booked?

Just the coincidence that NOAH and DDT are under the same banner too I'm sure.

There's like two promotions in Japan with top champs under the age of 40. Jeez.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

Akiyama is a bigger star than anyone in DDT by light-years and you have to assume he'll lose to the title and put someone over and its not as if DDT have a history of putting the belt on old guys

Status

Most likely yeah.

Just funny it comes a short while after their affiliate puts the belt on Mutoh. Akiyama obviously had the loss to Endo to take back and did win the GP plus his legs still work properly so it's not bad. I'm just not really that into seeing Akiyama as the champ in 2021 especially when Endo's reign didn't need to end yet. Really depends who he is putting over. I assume Takeshita eventually but I feel like that could've just been done without the title anyway.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Takeshita is the guy this is for, undoubtedly. Akiyama has beaten him twice in big matches so a third is on the cards for Peter Pan (Judgement is too early). I think the big difference between Akiyama winning and Mutoh winning is Akiyama is still a great wrestler, is more than willing to put over others with no cut corners and Takagi is more trustworthy as a booker than NOSAWA.

If there is anything that I'm side-eying, it's that this title reign seems bit like a repeat from the Masato Tanaka title reign from last year. Which ended with Tetsuya Endo being put over ultimately.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    NOSAWA Rongai is booking NOAH? Good grief. One of the all time hanger-ons who's sucked his whole career but managed to get booked everywhere because of who he's friends with
    That's basically how he books too. Like a mark trying to get his dumbass friends over.

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    It's big in kayfabe for Muto so there's likely some fans of him who will be happy. In general, he is more well liked than Go Shiozaki amongst fans as well so there's that as well I'd guess. There will definitely be a contingent of fans who reject Go completely too (and have done so since he came about). I can see most native NOAH-type fans being hyped and happy about this to a degree.

Nosawa booking NOAH is lulz but they may as well do anything at this point. They've shat the bed consistently for years. NOAH just doing another NOAH thing.
    I don't like Muto winning or really any of his junior booking at all. But this title reign was by far Go's biggest success of his career and he won multiple MVP awards voted on by fans last year and they successfully built multiple stories through his title reign. Ever since that dumb Fujita match. And on top of it they just had a successful Budokan show for the first time in 10 years, which would have been completely unthinkable 5 years ago when Suzuki-gun were shitting the bed or even 3 years ago when Kenoh said they would go to the Budokan. To say they haven't been doing anything right is just goofy when you could easily argue they've had the most upward momentum of any Japanese company in the last 2 years. There's proof in Sumo Hall and Budokan both working out.

THIS is going back to what got NOAH in trouble in the first place by going to old guys and worse yet, there's no evidence Muto is any kind of a draw as is. AJPW nearly collapsed and W-1 did collapse with him as the top guy within the last decade. Even in comparison to Akiyama, Endo wasn't bringing DDT to any new Heights, he was just a normal champion and Akiyama is a much much bigger star than him, not to mention he gives DDT credibility they didn't have before which is necessary for them to get any bigger than they are now. Muto makes NOAH and that whole title reign look like a joke and devalued everything they spent literally a year building.

Also Akiyama isn't like Muto. He's already elevated like 3 younger guys in the last 9 months. If Muto even puts Kaito over effectively I'll be surprised.

-

Also both the DDT & NOAH shows were actually really good, even Muto's match where somehow Go kept things on the rails and made sure to drop Muto on his head once which was amusing. I thought the Kaito/Inamura vs. Akiyama/Marufuji match was completely awesome. You can argue the National title is the best secondary title in Japanese history with this storyline of Kenou taking on a bunch of shooter types and doing what NJPW made seem impossible and giving it importance AND it's own identity to the company and I really enjoyed Kenou and Funaki, although I would have liked Funaki winning. Also similarly good was Ueno & Sakaguchi from DDT but arguably even better. Ueno is one of DDT's best workers and passed the test of working a grounded match with flying colors. Give me more of that. With Ueno & Okada following the Takeshita tree rather than the Endo & Sasaki tree it's thankful they can have a main event future in good hands.

Also leave it to Super Delfin to actually have one of the first genuinely funny matches in DDT history with that M-Pro tribute.

WAKE UP

Status

Watched Endo vs Akiyama and thought it was really long and boring. Endo is so mediocre.

Both NOAH and DDT saying they want to be bigger than New Japan. Good luck with that. Even if the company that owns them is significantly bigger than Bushiroad I have no idea how they plan to do that unless they just poach/sign a bunch of guys with name value

Admin in Lockdown

Status

I really wish Akiyama was anywhere else but DDT. It’s the one company I can’t get into.

watched the top 4 NOAH matches from Destiny now, really enjoyed the show.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

DDT's just bad and going nowhere. If I were Cyber I'd move (Takeshita, Akiyama, Ueno, & like 3-5 other guys) over to NOAH and try to grow. Just Akiyama coming in would mean so much more than in DDT and nobody watched DDT for good work. They can get by with guys like Endo and Sasaki that would never make it in any big company and just surround them with comedy indie guys.

Also not a lot of big name guys to bring in for NOAH. They're trying that with Muto and he's a company killer in the past. They did a good job with Kaito and are on the right path with Inamura. Ed watched the show so he saw how good he looked in that tag I bet. The best they could hope for in terms of a "steal" would be someone like a Kojima from NJPW who has jumped before and aligning with Muto would be an easy story to tell if they got there, but I doubt that's gonna take them to NJPW, except if NJPW continues running their fans away with EVIL & Jay White in main events and shows end up like the ghost Town's they've been in the last week.

Status

Was this MVP awards voted by NOAH fans or what? I know he won the Tokyo Sports award for fighting spirit or whatever. I haven't seen anything else but I don't keep tabs on awards since people pick and choose when they actually matter

I don't really watch NOAH much so can't comment on Go's actual reign. No doubt solid matches as usual but the guy is heatless/bland as a character and lacks any sort of interesting running story as a champion for me. I've always viewed him as a Kobashi/Misawa wannabe and his promo material doesn't do much to dissuade me. Seeing him win the title makes me not want to watch NOAH.

First thing I saw about Budokan was him saying he was going to try and evoke the Misawa/Kobashi spirit or some shit. Boring. It's been years since Kobashi and Misawa. Move on and give me something more interesting as a character. Admittedly, NOAH have had a problem with this in general and I honestly think it's contributing to their downfall. Go isn't Misawa/Kobashi and people know that for example.

I'm not overly convinced any drawing argument in this current climate is worthwhile. Why didn't they just book Go vs Kenou, Kaito or whoever else are being booked as the main eventers instead of vs Mutoh? It genuinely reads to me like Mutoh vs Go only happened because they needed something for Budokan, no? It's not like this is a NJPW situation with EVIL where they can just book what they want for a bit and get away with it. Don't know anything about their Sumo Hall stuff.

I don't think I can say NOAH has the most upward momentum of the past 2 years since I don't watch every company in Japan but I would think DDT have more momentum than them given that DDT hosts NOAH on its streaming network. Of course, NJPW has also held 4 Dome shows in that time frame as well as a stadium show in Jingu.

Agreed on NOAH stuff with regards to going back to old booking that got them into trouble. Is what I was getting at with my stuff above. I actually can't believe Sakuraba is a champion in 2021. Guy's a legend in MMA and wrestling but I don't buy it. It's even worse that he won an award in 2020 too. How? Go looks like the biggest fucking geek ever by losing to Mutoh imo. Leg wasn't even hooked.

I don't think the Mutoh/Go match was any good at all. It was legit trash. Akiyama/Endo was miles better and I thought it was one of Endo's better matches in all honesty. Definitely went a little long but I feel they obviously had to try and one up the D-Ou match (also think a criticism of their D-Ou match was that it was too short )

I think Akiyama provides enough for DDT but credibility for what? They aren't a promotion in the same vein as AJPW, NJPW or NOAH. If they're trying for credibility with those casuals then fine but most people know that DDT isn't like those promotions for the most part so. Infact, isn't Akiyama likely to be judged badly by fans of those promotions for taking the apparent step down to DDT ? From what I understand, DDT is very much viewed as a second rate sort of product by those types of fans. Maybe that's why they need credibility I suppose.

Haven't checked out the rest of the NOAH show but DDT was fun. I even enjoyed stupid Saki Akai too for the longest time in forever. Maybe just pair her with Yukihi forever. Surprised at how long Shinya Aoki has been around and hasn't snapped everyone's limbs yet. It is so weird to think that Aoki is probably the (shoot) baddest man in the CyberAgent DDT/NOAH roster. Need them to make a worked (we know how it goes as a shoot) Aoki/Sakuraba match. Would be pretty interesting to see their worked grapples with each other.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I didn't care for the Go title reign myself . I didn't watch all the title matches (skipped the Marufuji, Saito and Kenoh matches) but the only title defence that I liked was the staredown match with Fujita as that was something different and honestly more interesting than Nakajima and Go doing stuff for 40 minutes. I guess the "I am NOAH" stuff resonated with some people.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

AJPW Carnival line up:

Suwama
    Zeus
    Kento Miyahara
    Shuji Ishikawa
    Jake Lee
    Yuma Aoyagi
    Shotaro Ashino