Page 118 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118
Results 2,341 to 2,358 of 2358

Thread: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

Remember that buying a company rather than starting your own thing has a few notable advantages outside of in-ring or roster or even the Network. For example, WWE aren't coming to Japan to run Shin-Kiba 1st Ring as their main base or Chiba or something. They're gonna wanna run Tokyo, and that means Korakuen. There are a zillion different companies that run it (many of which don't make tape, some of which are one-offs, some are boxing and non-wrestling stuff), a new company can't just run it with ease because there's just no time left for more. When you buy a company you get all of their dates and the infrastructure to continue to run these buildings regularly which is important as it's becoming clear that they really don't understand Japan on a business level at all.

Status

That makes a lot of sense and honestly hadn't really considered that. Another podcast I listen to (sorry!!) mentioned it on a show I was listening to at the gym yesterday afternoon. The contacts and understanding of the schedule logistics is a factor, let alone the actual booked dates. Starting from scratch would probably be tougher than I realized, especially if they didn't have staff experienced within the front office of other Japanese promotions.

That same podcast mentioned that the WWE offer for Stardom was rejected largely because of the lack of any sort of plan. Bushiroad presented the offer with a lot of what they have talked about happening going forward. The WWE offered money and Rossy Ogawa a spot in the WWE Hall of Fame, but no actual plan for what they would do with the company, no plan on how they would adapt it into the WWE brand, etc. Couldn't even say if they would have a Japanese performance center. If true, its insane that a giant corporation like the WWE took such a casual approach.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

NOAH The Best in Sumo Hall ran today main evented by Kaito Kiyomiya vs. Kenou drawing 5,523. (I predicted 5500 months ago) Triumphant success for NOAH & all but solidifies Kaito as my Observer wrestler of the year. Excellent work & can't wait to see the show which has gotten strong live reviews.

Still gonna be hard to justify putting Muta over Marufuji no matter how it plays out on screen.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Marufuji can lose tbf. It doesn't really matter anymore especially against Muta. It's not like he is prime Marufuji anyways.

But that's a great number. Definitely something they can built upon and use to make Kiyomiya a bigger star and grow the company further.

Relentless Admin

Status

Any kiyomiya recs from June onwards?

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Marufuji can lose tbf. It doesn't really matter anymore especially against Muta. It's not like he is prime Marufuji anyways.
    Except he was one of the biggest stars of the promotion 9 months ago & they've spent an entire year having him lose to literally everyone they could including Alex Hammerstone, then at their biggest show in years had him wrestle a comedy match & lose to someone who is never coming back & means little to NOAH fans in general anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Any kiyomiya recs from June onwards?
    He really didn't do anything after the awesome Sugiura match in June. I thought the Nakajima match was pretty disappointing through no fault of his own & it was only tag matches from there on though I highly enjoyed him/Taniguchi vs Hideki/Sugiura from the 8/4 show.

Relentless Admin

Status

Okabayashi and Hino Vs Sekimoto and Walter was lovely stuff. Takes a little while to get going when they successfully keep Walter from tagging in for a while, but when it picks up it gets very good. Doesn't touch the classic BJW tag matches of a few years ago, but still a really refreshing match to see, and a what if about Walter if he went the Japan route rather than the NXT UK route as a career choice.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The match was pretty good. All the usual stuff that you expect from a match involving all four guys. Even when the match got stale with all the chop exchanges, Hino and Sekimoto started running at each other. Hino added some personality as well which was cool.

If you're into Deathmatch wrestling, you have two very different forms of it on this show with Kodaka vs Miyomoto being more about the wrestling with the weapons being used as occasionally props (aka how you see no dq matches usually play out) and where the weapons are the match and it's a total gore fest. Very well worth watching.

DDT Ultimate Party was a great show btw. Another 6+ hour but it was, like the others, a great match. Easy SOTY for me. Great main events with HARASHIMA and Takeshita being a big improvement on their 2017 match (with this being MOTY for me as well) and Kenny retuning with Riho as his partner taking on Honda and Miyu Yamashita. Superb matches, both of them.

Just waiting for NOAH to come out tomorrow and the Sumo Hall shows will be complete.
    Last edited by MC 16; 11-09-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

It's hard to believe, but I liked HARASHIMA vs Takeshita better than the BJW tag too. The BJW tag is a great soul food match where you get everything you want, but there's nothing deeper to it. I'll always enjoy it but it didn't strike me as a MOTY. I don't know if HARASHIMA/Takeshita is either but I thought they did a great job of getting over the story of former Ace vs new hotshot Ace & also some unique spots with the back from Takeshita, I think if the finish had been built to a bit better as the slow pace earlier the finish was kind of abrupt but almost worked in it's favor.

The POP Title between Sakazaki vs. Nakajima was also good too from that show. Too long as a show & a lot of nothing but those matches & Ishii/Abe were all highly enjoyable.

WAKE UP

Status

haven't watched the BJW show yet but chiming in to echo the praise for HARASHIMA vs Takeshita - awesome, awesome match. Maybe a Top 5 all-time DDT match, if that's a thing anyone is measuring. This was the first time I've seen Takeshita and was impressed. Is he always this good or was this him rising the occasion?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    haven't watched the BJW show yet but chiming in to echo the praise for HARASHIMA vs Takeshita - awesome, awesome match. Maybe a Top 5 all-time DDT match, if that's a thing anyone is measuring. This was the first time I've seen Takeshita and was impressed. Is he always this good or was this him rising the occasion?
    He rose to the occasions but he is generally very good anyway. His performance against Endo is very similar to this, I thought. Great on top. Worked the back superbly. Uses the crowd preferring the other guy to his advantage well. Not sure if you'll like the match as much as this one because Endo really doesn't seem like a wrestler you'd like though (Endo uses a ton of high flying offence).

WAKE UP

Status

you're not wrong, I've seen maybe a handful of Endo matches and didn't rate him at all

WAKE UP

Status

selected 4/11 Big Japan thoughts:

- Kawakami/Kikuta vs Lee/Nomura was skippable. This was an undercard inter-promotional tag with a bunch of strikers and we get clean breaks and all respectful guff at the start, what a bunch of fucking bores. Kikuta's karate shit is a bit goofball but atleast he GETS heat and tried to inject some into the match. End run was fun but where is the INTER-PROMOTIONAL BEEF?

- Nomura/Abe/Kamitani vs #STRONGHEARTS - this was more like it. #STRONGHEARTS as heel outsiders are wayyyyy more fun than doing vanilla DG spotfests. Lindamann is a natural douchebag and Irie looked like a fucking tank whenever he was in, just a shame this was a short throwaway match. Give these guys 20 minutes and we could get a MOTYC.

- Juniors 4-way - odd match as you had 2 very different tones - Tajiri doing a whole bunch of schtick and the 3 young lions just wanting to beat each other up. The 3 young'uns all clearly have room for improvement but have potential. If Big Japan decides to take their Jr division seriously they could do some good stuff in future.

- Sekimoto/WALTER vs Ok/Hino - good clobbering fun as expected. Yuji trashing WALTER was great. Not been sold on Hino previously but enjoyed all his stuff vs Sekimoto. Didn't have MOTYC level expectations for this as it was a special attraction match on paper, so this delivered for me. Good shit.

- Ito/Sasaki vs Kansai/Sakuda - there is an insane moment in this where Sakuda goes to do a flip senton off the bleachers to Sasaki through a table, and overshoots and lands straight on his fucking tailbone from a 15 ft drop. Cool to see Sasaki and Kansai back in BJ but this was not a good match. Without a story these matches just end up being lame gross-out matches, and thats what we got. Barbers razors to the mouth, ceramic plant pots, cinderblocks, forks, a board with fucking buzzsaw blades on it All done at 50% speed because these guys are old and they want to do all this violent shit safely atleast. They build to a spot where they do a rote forearms trading sequence...while all 4 dudes have skewers through both cheeks, fucking gross. Lets hope Moxley never watches this shit.

- Sato vs Hashimoto - boring match with lots of long submissions that bordered on restholds and Sato working Hash's leg. Both guys are good in tags but limited in singles and it was really apparent. Daichi doesn't have an eigth of his father's charisma.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 11-11-2019 at 08:44 PM.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Yeah, Daichi just doesn't have it. Totally lacks imagination and without the charisma to keep what he does do interesting, it leads to what we got. Shame because I do like him. Just his matches don't entertain me. Maybe a change of scenery for him would help him bring out the sparks he does show occasionally. Not sure where that would be though.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Daichi might legit be my least favorite wrestler in Japan. He had a lot of upside at one point in Zero1, now he's LEONA II. His run in AJPW was horrid in the CC and his first title reign was a business disaster to the point they had to cur it short and have Hideki save everything
    They deserve what they're gonna get for going back to him.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The CC was pretty bad overall tbf, except the final day. That turned me off All Japan for most of the year.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
    I thought the NOAH show was great.

Fujita/Taniguchi was a great hard hitting sprint. Everything it needed to be in under 8 minutes, Hard hitting & violent. Taniguchi missed his calling as a shooter.

The Jr. Tag Titles (Tadasuke/Harada vs. Suzuki/Ogawa) was very good & a legit feel good moment. Suzuki has been one of the most underrated workers in wrestling as a heel this year, a far cry even from his peak as a vanilla guy with cool moves. Harada gets the props but Kotaro was just as good.

LOVED the heavyweight tag titles. AXIZ is the tag team of the year & Inamura is a future world champion, he was a star even as a young guy & outshined Kitamiya who is much more of a solid "big guy" vein. This was as good as the WALTER BJW match & I enjoyed this more.

Sugiura/Elgin was a decent power guy match, but nothing more.

Main event was a good one, the crowd bought into their feud & the last part was great. Kenou's awful character work building up the match didn't help but it came across as a big win even a year down the line. Considering the strong success of the show you have to give the two props, particularly Kaito who's established himself as the Ace of the company fantastically for his age. An improbable success story for the company, but maybe not that improbable considering the entire year has been full of successes.

The Muta match was even worse than I imagined & Marufuji looked like an absolute geek. Amazing that throughout NOAH's great year Marufuji's been relegated to total midcarder. I don't mind because he's lazy a vast majority of the time. The Jr. Title sucked too as expected but besides that was a show of the year candidate.

Kotoge vs. Harada from the YT show was a great great match. Loved it. The two best in the company delivering. Kotoge is criminally misused & everyone knows Harada's awesome. High rec.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

The famous ShuPro cover hit the shelves today, interesting positioning of people and quite a collection of bad hairstyles. Daichi being on is a sad state of affairs.

Page 118 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118

Thread Information