Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2323

Thread: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

Status

Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

Now that ED (THANKS Vacationed) has fixed this, I have another question...

Big Japan Pro Wrestling. I have questions regarding their product. I have mostly watched individual matches and almost only from the Strong Division. They seem to be pretty straight-forward, hart-hitting strong style puroresu. Big hosses smashing each other. I haven't seen flying or highly technical elements to it, but... are there? And the Deathmatch side I've seen described as brawling with weapon / gimmick stipulations moreso than pure prototypical garbage wrestling? I know the deathmatch guys in BJW seem to be highly regarded within that style. Would you compare the two sides of the product to any other company products?

thanks
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Now that ED (THANKS Vacationed) has fixed this, I have another question...

Big Japan Pro Wrestling. I have questions regarding their product. I have mostly watched individual matches and almost only from the Strong Division. They seem to be pretty straight-forward, hart-hitting strong style puroresu. Big hosses smashing each other. I haven't seen flying or highly technical elements to it, but... are there? And the Deathmatch side I've seen described as brawling with weapon / gimmick stipulations moreso than pure prototypical garbage wrestling? I know the deathmatch guys in BJW seem to be highly regarded within that style. Would you compare the two sides of the product to any other company products?

thanks
    High-flying? Not really. There are some individual workers like Shinobu who do some flying but that is individual and I wouldn't say there's much of it in the promotion.

Technical? Again, not really, but there are individual wrestlers like Hideki Suzuki and there others like him (Nomura, Abe) who have a more BattlARTS influenced style in recent years. It would be individual cases, such as the Suzuki vs Nomura title match last year that was almost a full-on BattlARTS/quasi-shoot style match, but again not something that is a regular feature in the promotion.

I would describe Big Japan (non-DM) as a poor man's peak NOAH - focus on stiff heavyweight action, with guys having defined roles within the promotion heirachy.

The DM stuff is kind of like this with weapons and props thrown in. There was a period of time where I thought the DM scene was quite good, but these days I find the props and gore to be gimmicky and mostly occupied by workers who use them in leiu of being able to do much compelling without them. There is both similarities and differences CZW deathmatches but otherwise I'd struggle to find much else of a comparison. Again there are guys in BJ who will use the props as an extension of a match to make it more exciting, and some who use because 'look how gross and extreme I can be!'.

Big Japan DMs are usually very light-tube heavy and often have gimmicks like a big shark-cage or something, and they are worked like typical puro formula matches with props, rather than say a garbage brawl. There's almost never a sense of hatred or 'reason' for the gimmick other than 'its the Deathmatch division'.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I'll just say that I've never REALLY been a fan of DMs but I much prefer the style of the old days, eary 2000s & whatnot where the entire build of a match was towards something devastating & nuts happening & then that was it which is the only logical way a DM can work IMO. Nowadays it's all just lighttubes & convoluted TLC spots. It's been years & years since they've even done anything with cages or crazy props. It's the same general stuff, the closest we get is occasionally someone will bring in a syringe or a cinder block in addition to lighttubes.

Takeda got this great rep last year as DM champ but I thought his matches were really overrated & actually Hideki carried that company last year.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

WAKE UP

Status

Their DM scene kinda went downhill bigtime when they lost Takashi Sasaki

I wonder what he is doing these day

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Their DM scene kinda went downhill bigtime when they lost Takashi Sasaki

I wonder what he is doing these day
    Pro Wrestling Freedoms. Weirdly I happened to look him up yesterday. Mostly worked for Freedoms over the past few years.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WAKE UP

Status

I think that might be his own promotion? Could be wrong. Real shame he left Big Japan as he was really the main guy who knew how to make those lighttubes deathmatches really work and structure them in a way that was exciting in a pro wrestling way rather than gorefest way (though that too). Guys like Ito, Miyamoto, Abby, Jun Kasai could be good on their day but Sasaki stands out as being really consistent. This is going back over 10 years now though.

Status

I think that might be his own promotion? Could be wrong. Real shame he left Big Japan as he was really the main guy who knew how to make those lighttubes deathmatches really work and structure them in a way that was exciting in a pro wrestling way rather than gorefest way (though that too). Guys like Ito, Miyamoto, Abby, Jun Kasai could be good on their day but Sasaki stands out as being really consistent. This is going back over 10 years now though.
    Yeah, Freedoms is owned by Sasaki.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WAKE UP

Status

speaking of Big Japan, anyone watch Sekimoto vs Elgin yet?

just like the two combatants I thought there was a lot of MEAT but also a lot of BLOAT and not much BRAINS. fun in a braindead two-guys-lariating-and-suplexing-each-other way, but I can't endorse it. Wonder what they do with Elgin next though, can't see them putting the title on him yet as they just put it on Sato, but sounds like he's sticking around for a while. Maybe Elgin/Okabayashi vs Sekimoto/Bodyguard for the tag straps?

Okabayashi/Kato vs Suzuki/Hyodo on the other hand was tasty. Hideki is a dick and busts Kato open hardway, leading to him getting fired up, which then fires up Hyodo and they go at each other. They need to ditch the generic black trunks trope, but otherwise the next wave of rookies in Big Japan look promising so far. Hyodo is very much in the same vein as Sekimoto and Ok in that he is as wide as he is tall.

I may have to make a thread comparing Big Japan to New Japan and drive everyone nuts by insisting its clearly the better promotion, and the rookies are just another area in which they're better value.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I loves that tag match. Kato is better than at least half of the NJPW roster and his entrance theme is too already. Hyodo is a great prospect as well. Hideki was awesome in that match! I loved the post match too where he actually showed respect and put those guys over as a big deal while looking like a super badass.

Elgin/Sekimoto was good in the Ishii/Goto vein. On my show I said I thought the tag was better and everyone thought I was insane but it was a worthy main event and also worth noting that was their best drawing show in forever and Elgin made a huge difference. I don't think he'll get the title because (let's just say this is from a very close source)
    Spoiler:

he'll be working NOAH on their Sumo Hall

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I didn't care for the Elgin vs Sekimoto match. It was okay, but rather boring to watch. Great house though

I enjoyed the tag match but it was basically just the Hyodo vs Kato show with Hideki and Okabayashi not doing much.

Relentless Admin

Status

Wasn’t a huge fan of sekimoto vs Elgin either.

wtf is immobile Rhyno doing in NOAH?

WAKE UP

Status

Should I care about NOAH in 2019? Doesn't feel like it, unless someone can convince me otherwise

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

I love Rhyno, how he keeps popping up in notable promotions after all these years is amazing.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Should I care about NOAH in 2019? Doesn't feel like it, unless someone can convince me otherwise
    lmfao NOAH barely cares about NOAH at this point. There's almost no reason to watch NOAH because all of the aspects that can appeal are done better by promotions elsewhere in Japan. I'd say it's worth watching if you legitimately care about certain guys but otherwise it's a no go. I'm a huge Kenoh and Marufuji fan and it's not enough to make me watch or care about the product.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status
      Country                    United States

I was watching WhatCulture's video on the ten next big things to know in wrestling and I had two things I took away from that.

First of all, Konosuke Takeshita was at the top of the list. Happy to see that. I don't watch DDT, but I do search Takeshita's matches from time to time because he has a certain appeal for me. I think he is great and will continue to get better. Hopefully at some point he leaves DDT though.

But also, they said that Dragon Gate is the second biggest company in Japan. Is this true? Obviously I'm a very bare minimum puro guy. I only watch NJPW regularly. I'll watch AJPW matches sometimes when they're posted here and I also seek out Takeshita's matches. I never watch Dragon Gate though. I would have guessed AJPW and DDT were both bigger than Dragon Gate, though in my mind all three of them are kind of on a similar level.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    lmfao NOAH barely cares about NOAH at this point. There's almost no reason to watch NOAH because all of the aspects that can appeal are done better by promotions elsewhere in Japan. I'd say it's worth watching if you legitimately care about certain guys but otherwise it's a no go. I'm a huge Kenoh and Marufuji fan and it's not enough to make me watch or care about the product.
    This basically. There just isn't enough that screams must see on the NOAH shows. The only thing in NOAH that's really exciting is Kenoh and if you're not a big fan of his, there isn't much to get into.

--

A solid line up for the Royal Road that's happening soon. Miyahara vs Doering and Jake Lee vs Suwama look good. I'm leaning towards Jake Lee getting the win but you can never been too sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I was watching WhatCulture's video on the ten next big things to know in wrestling and I had two things I took away from that.

First of all, Konosuke Takeshita was at the top of the list. Happy to see that. I don't watch DDT, but I do search Takeshita's matches from time to time because he has a certain appeal for me. I think he is great and will continue to get better. Hopefully at some point he leaves DDT though.

But also, they said that Dragon Gate is the second biggest company in Japan. Is this true? Obviously I'm a very bare minimum puro guy. I only watch NJPW regularly. I'll watch AJPW matches sometimes when they're posted here and I also seek out Takeshita's matches. I never watch Dragon Gate though. I would have guessed AJPW and DDT were both bigger than Dragon Gate, though in my mind all three of them are kind of on a similar level.
    Absolutely. And by quite a big margin if you look at their attendance. They have a big fanbase that only really watches DG so they have a big edge over the other two. DDT is bigger than All Japan as well as All Japan can be up and down with their non Korakuen shows.
    Last edited by MC 16; 09-12-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Yeah, DG appeals to alot of the rural areas in Japan and tours alot so they get a lot of fans from places that other companies aren't really competing for. DDT appeals to a different kind of fan than NJPW/NOAH/AJPW etc so tends to do well.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

there was a time where the idea of DDT being bigger than All Japan was mind-blowing, but I guess welcome to 2019

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Funnily enough, there are two companies that can run Sumo Hall reasonably in Japan. NJPW and...NOAH.

WAKE UP

Status

the Sekimoto/Nomura vs Elgin/Mochizuki tag is better than the singles the night before. you get all the clobbering, less of the bloat, and the Nomura vs Mochizuki stuff is actually better anyway. good match but realllllly could have done with one big Nomura comeback attempt at the end before he got crushed to take it to the next level.

Okabayashi vs Sato was, if nothing else, stiff as all balls. good match but, again, ending felt very abrupt.

Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117 LastLast

Thread Information