Page 107 of 108 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108 LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 2141

Thread: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

It certainly was a fantastic match. Personally, I thought their CC Finals match was the better of the two, but not by much. I think it's just outside my top ten best matches of year and it's probably put Marufuji in my top 3 for wrestler of the year. Certainly another big step for Kento Miyahara as well.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

NOAH Navigation With A Breeze - 29/05/2018 Thoughts

Akitoshi Saito & Junta Miyawaki vs. Back Breakers (Hajime Ohara & Hitoshi Kumano): **

Not bad. Pretty good opener. Junta Miyawaki looked decnet, he is a improving at an immense rate. Ohara had some shine spots. Short and did it’s job.

RATEL'S (HAYATA & YO-HEY) vs. Seiya Morohashi & Yoshinari Ogawa: **½

More fast paced match than the previous with some decent double team moves from HAYATA/YO-HEY. Seiya Morohashi looked fine, nothing too much that stood out but fine. Bumped around well, made HAYATA/YO-HEY look good.

50 Funky Powers (Mohammed Yone & Quiet Storm) vs. Cody Hall & Masao Inoue: **¼

Not much actual wrestling but more of a story driven match which was very interesting to see. I liked what they did here, playing you Hall and Inoue not working well together, starting from the entrance to the match itself. Very simple but I liked it. Eventually 55FP took advantage and got the win after Hall abandoned his partner. Interested in seeing where that goes.

KAZMA SAKAMOTO & KENSO vs. Maybach Taniguchi & Mitsuya Nagai: **

This was fine. Nothing really worth nothing in all truth.

Atsushi Kotoge vs. Kenou: ***¾

Now we’re getting down to business. K-Hall looking full now. The match was very good. Boarding great. Had a hot start with Kenou breaking out of the headscissors in the ropes pretty earlier. The two flying around, exchanging counters. Wrestling a good, quick style. Then it kicked up a notch after Kenou started to get in a kicking mood. Then came that nasty headbut from Kotoge. I forgot who said it but bleached blonde hair is genius for when blood is involved. Nice visual by the end. One thing I have a problem with is the cape. Looks goofy and fits Kotoge’s eccentric personality but it’s a bit too comedy for me. But that’s just nitpicking. Really good match, good showings from both wrestlers. Crowd was really into the match and both Kotoge and Kenou.

GHC Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match - Hi69 & Minoru Tanaka (c) vs. RATEL'S (Daisuke Harada & Tadasuke): ***½

Very good tag team match. Not what I expected considering it’s the juniors but good. Instead of the usual routine, they have a brawl all over the arena.. A fun brawl. Then they bring it back to the ring and have then revert back to a “normal” match. They did a great job at transition between the two different sections I thought. Another thing I thought they did well was play on the two individual feuds they each have had lately. HI69 and Harada mostly going after each other and same with Tanaka and Tadasuke. Harada’s facial expression after the match and his brief interaction with Ogawa was golden

GHC Tag Team Title Match - Go Shiozaki & Kaito Kiyomiya (c) vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya: ****½

Man, The Aggression are quite possible the best tag team of 2018 so far in terms of match for match quality and it’s not close imo. The Aggression and GoKai have great chemistry and it showed. They picked up where they left off with their last match, attacking Go’s leg from the off. Go’s selling of it during the entire match was great. Consistently selling it during moves, both taking them and doing them. Just little touches of being much slower when doing double team moves with Kaito or winching every time he moved. Nakajima was just wow. Him dragging Go in-front of Kobashi and attacking the leg was masterful. I adore heel Nakajima. He has fire like he never had last year, much more viciousness in his offence and his facial expressions are amazing. Another part of the match that I liked was that Kiyomiya barely got in the match apart from a few minutes here or there, it was just The Aggression working over Go. Some good storytelling there. This match had all the factors of a MOTYC for me, storytelling, selling, the little extra stuff like the Kobashi/Nakajima bit and the atmosphere to go along with it. Amazing tag team match.

GHC Heavyweight Title Match - Takashi Sugiura (c) vs. Naomichi Marufuji: ***¾

Had two viewings of this match and have similar thoughts on the match. It was a good match, I would say it could’ve been better with a bit more intensity and it being less unpredictable but oh well. Some decent work on the midsection of Marufuji by Sugiura as well as Sugiura being aware of Marufuji’s routine and taking advantage of it. Some nice counters and an amazing looking spanish fly off the top rope. Good match but something was missing to push it over that margin to make it great.

I loved the show. For 3 hours, it certainly flew by. Nothing was bad on the undercard, even Cody Hall was decent. Great 2nd half of the show. Kotoge vs Kenou onwards is waht I would recommend the most from these shows
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

WAKE UP

Status

So, again, who are the best workers in Japan these days? WHY?

Also, I haven't seen Tanahashi's name pop up much in recent memory - I assume he's now working a Cena like schedule?

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    So, again, who are the best workers in Japan these days? WHY?

Also, I haven't seen Tanahashi's name pop up much in recent memory - I assume he's now working a Cena like schedule?
    I'll let someone else answer the best wrestler list cause I did the indy one and I only watch like 2 companies from Japan, but Tanahashi is still someone I would have at the top of my list for best in Japan, and his schedule isn't that much different to what it's been in recent years. I wouldn't call it Cena like because he still works a lot of shows, it's just half of them he's hiding in tags doing very little. He actually reached the finals of the NJ Cup and had a big main event with Okada for the title a couple of months ago, so he's still working important matches even if he is behind Okada, Omega and Naito in the pecking order. G1 is right around the corner so I'm sure he'll deliver with big matches again.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Hiroshi Tanahashi is still pretty good but yeah, he is taking it easy at the moment. Still few great matches this year though.

Tomohiro Ishii is still great, even if he rarely gets any single matches outside of the G1 and New Japan Cups to show it. Still his matches are always considered MOTYC’s by the end of the year.

Juice Robinson is a pretty good wrestler. He always bounces around the single titles but never wins any of them. He always has good-great matches with all of them though. Gels well with everyone he faces. His Hirooki Goto match this year was excellent, as was his Tanahashi match in the New Japan Cup. Always a highlight on the shows.

EVIL turned out to be a pretty good wrestler though you wouldn’t be able to tell based on his character which looks goofy but I don’t mind it. Currently in the tag scene with SANADA having good matches with the likes of K.E.S and The Young Bucks. Had a two great matches with Okada last year. The G1 match more so than the KOPW match. The match is widely praised.

Kento Miyahara is arguably one of the top wrestlers in the world today. Very consistent in his matches, very charismatic and even though his matches can be a bit samey, has shown he can have different matches. Basically saved Yoshitatsu’s career with their partnership. Sure Zero could explain Kento much better but he is up there.

Shuji Ishikawa basically can do whatever match. Deathmatches, 30 minute “classics”, sprints and comedy if you’re into that. He goes all over the place like All Japan and DDT and excels everytime. Would highly recommend his 40th Anniversary match with Kento Miyahara last year. Fun wrestler to watch. One of the best on the scene.

Love Zeus. Loads of power moves but isn’t slow by any means. His hoss match with Joe Doering earlier in the year was awesome.

Suppose I have to bring up Konosuke Takeshita. He has had good matches but I don’t like him very much. Others seem to like him though so he is worth a mention. He is young, a bit bland but seems to be improving on that.

Kazusada Higuchi is probably my favourite guy on this list. His KO-D Tag title run with Daisuke Sekimoto was great. Everyone match was pretty much excellent. He seems better in the tag role but he can have good single matches too.

Haven’t seen much of Shotaro Ashino but loved what I’ve seen so far. Good in both single and tag matches, teaming with Kuma Arashi as part of the Enfants Terribles.

Takuya Nomura is one to watch. Young but he is very good for someone who has been wrestling for only two years. Has real good striking and grappling skills. Going to be a star in the future. His recent match with Hideki Suzuki was incredible and a definite MOTYC.

Speaking of which Hideki Suzuki. Not everyone’s taste but when he wants to, there is none better at what he does IMO.

Daisuke Harada and Hiromu Takahashi. Both completely different from each other but both two of the best Junior Heavyweights in the world. No doubt. Harada has a good mix of technical skill and power based moves, meshes well with most wrestlers. Even having a pretty decent hardcore match with Hi69. Takahashi is still crazy with his bumps. His matches have a can't look away feel to them.
    Last edited by MC 16; 07-04-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Ibushi's probably closer to a Cena schedule than Tana.

In-ring:
    1. Hideki Suzuki - BJW/Also probably NOAH more
    2. Shotaro Ashino - W1
    3. Shuji Ishikawa - AJPW (DDT/BJW sometimes)
    4. Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW
    5. Yuji Okabayashi - BJW
    6. Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW
    7. Kento Miyahara - AJPW
    8. Atsushi Kotoge - NOAH
    9. Shingo Takagi - DG (AJPW/BJW)
    10. Daisuke Harada - NOAH

To me Hideki blows everyone away and uses a different style than the homogenized NJPW house style that's kind of taken over. He represents the actual spirit of "strong style" more than NJPW's guys. He's kind of like a cross between Early Shibata, Good Sakuraba, & Billy Robinson (his trainer). Unfortunately people pick at the lack of depth where dreadful workers like Kamitani & Daichi got main event pushes last year but him vs. Okabayashi was my MOTY & a legit ***** match. Also he had a tag where he faced off against Nakanoue & Okabayashi in 2016 that's among my favorite 5 minute range matches. Him vs Nomura was a MOTYC.

Ashino's of a similar vein of having more substance than flash but is more modernized than Hideki. Comparable to a prime Nagata.

Few grasp the power big like Ishikawa & Okabayashi nowadays even though Okabayashi is injured at the moment. Okabayashi vs. Kamitani may be one of the bigger carryjobs I can recall in a singular match.

Hiromu is an amazing high flyer when he's not acting like a cat. Would compare him to...he's a bit hard to find a proper comp to, I feel like maybe a more polished Great Sasuke/Hayabusa type because he's so smooth but also crazy and a daredevil.

Ishii is Ishii but him working different styles has helped his match diversity.

Kento means so much to AJPW and he is one of the hardest working people in wrestling but in-ring I'm not as high on him as I used to be. He's taken a lot from Okada & Omega and it hasn't helped him. But he does great stuff at his biggest moments and anyone who saved Yoshitatsu is definitely top 10. Right now he's currently my WOTY. Would probably compare him to young Tana/Okada now.

Kotoge to me is the best fiery underdog in wrestling and like Kento had a team with Go and actually got Go over in NOAH! He's yet to have that one big match that puts him over like Kenoh has but I think he's more unique & better at making bad booking work. He's quite a bit like Hashi with his headbutts and his charisma but his moveset is also interspersed with Christian Cage tributes and some junior-y O-Pro stuff.

I used to very much dislike Shingo but his heel turn brought him into a new light and added much more psychology to his matches rather than the DG problems that plagued him. His tournament runs in BJW & AJPW were great and different too.

Harada's awesome, reminds me of a next-gen Koji Kanemoto. Wish he'd go heavyweight & Ohara got a bigger push though.

My only problem with Takeshita is I like him a lot but the DDT fans seem to dislike him for being boring. Still, he & Keisuke Ishii are two great DDT guys.

The guys in NJPW are too inconsistent to me to list them top 10. Okada, Naito, Goto, Ibushi, Tana, Suzuki, EVIL, maybe Omega all have had MOTYCs, and then can disappear for long periods of time of doing anything noteworthy. Juice, Finlay, & YOSHI-HASHI have had better years than most of those guys overall.

Left out Joshi girls but there are some great ones.
    Last edited by Zero; 07-04-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    I'm a good looking guy, but you show absolutely no interest in dating me! But...you're so nice to me.

What was I supposed to do? It's only natural that I'd fall in love...

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

So Takeshi Morishima announced his return at The Power Hall Show today!!!!!!! He announced his own produce show on the 15th of October where he will be competing in a one on one match.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

The first 7 years were incredible for Morishima, the last 7 were far from it, hopefully this health scare and time off brought some fire to him and we see one last big run.
    I'm a good looking guy, but you show absolutely no interest in dating me! But...you're so nice to me.

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

I loved me some Morishima back in the day. I saw him for the first time in ROH and the man tore it up there with some top talent in the Company and to hear he's coming back to the ring that's great news.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Today's All Japan Osaka show was pretty good. Apart from the technical difficulties, everything was solid-great with the exception of Joe Doering vs Gianni Valletta which sucked. Joe clearly didn't care and took an off day with that. Valletta looked like a yet another Brody rip off. That's not good thing. The three title matches were pretty dope including the main event which was amazing. Great roller coaster of emotions. Won't spoil the winner in case you haven't see it but almost everyone went crazy for it online. If I had to predict the next challenger, I would say Suwama is getting the next Triple Crown title shot. Good show if you skip the Doering/Valletta match. 8/10.

Attendance was announced as 2,458.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Everyone better watch out, Shingo Takagi had announced he is going freelance. He will likely still wrestle in DG but in a different capacity.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Excellent news. Shingo is the one guy from Dragon Gate who I think can be the biggest hit in other promotions across the world. AJPW is where I want to see him pitch up more regularly in Japan because he was great in the CC and they could always use some quality main eventers, but hopefuly he shows up in the states too. Could see Gabe getting in touch again with how many stars he's lost this year.

Status

Question for you puro guys... Is Konosuke Takeshita good? I mean, I saw a couple of his DDT matches months back when I was doing a little research on their roster and I decided I'd watch him again today. He seems really good in the ring and the crowd responds well to him. I know he's already like the biggest star in DDT but is he the kind of guy who could really become a superstar in Japan and maybe abroad one day?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Question for you puro guys... Is Konosuke Takeshita good? I mean, I saw a couple of his DDT matches months back when I was doing a little research on their roster and I decided I'd watch him again today. He seems really good in the ring and the crowd responds well to him. I know he's already like the biggest star in DDT but is he the kind of guy who could really become a superstar in Japan and maybe abroad one day?
    He is very good in ring but he lacks something right now. He is young (23) so he can still grow

Although I wouldn't say he is the biggest star in DDT, that's probably HARASHIMA. I think he could become a big star outside of DDT because he fits other promotions more than he does in DDT where he is very bland, especially compared to other guys like Daisuke Sasaki and Kazuki Hirata but abroad? No. He isn't charamastic enough to connect IMO. I'm down on Takeshita more than Shake and Zero though so they may say different.

Speaking of DDT, DDT have announced CIMA vs Konosuke Takeshita for Peter Pan!!!! And All Out vs T-Hawk and El Lindaman. Strong Hearts in DDT
    Last edited by MC 16; 09-23-2018 at 04:58 AM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Takeshita is super talented and has a lot of charisma and potential imo. I don't think he becomes a big star in Japan though. Maybe a big star to DDT's demographic. But in the whole scheme of things, he doesn't stand out enough compared to the other people in the puroresu scene. I disagree that he's not charismatic enough - he has the natural charisma of being the young homegrown guy breaking through and eventually becoming the 'man'. The problem is, and this is common in other promotions, that the fans don't want to break away from their favourite wrestlers like HARASHIMA and Endo and so on. You can see this effect in DG too where the younger generation are struggling to get over because the fans are still super into the older generation of wrestlers.

Takeshita is a great wrestler but he doesn't have the 'it factor' like say... Kota Ibushi imo. I don't see him reaching that level of popularity but you never know what he might become given his age. He's got plenty of time.

What made you research into DDT, EC?

CIMA vs Takeshita is an insane match. T-Hawk can get fucked.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Takeshita is super talented and has a lot of charisma and potential imo. I don't think he becomes a big star in Japan though. Maybe a big star to DDT's demographic. But in the whole scheme of things, he doesn't stand out enough compared to the other people in the puroresu scene. I disagree that he's not charismatic enough - he has the natural charisma of being the young homegrown guy breaking through and eventually becoming the 'man'. The problem is, and this is common in other promotions, that the fans don't want to break away from their favourite wrestlers like HARASHIMA and Endo and so on. You can see this effect in DG too where the younger generation are struggling to get over because the fans are still super into the older generation of wrestlers.

Takeshita is a great wrestler but he doesn't have the 'it factor' like say... Kota Ibushi imo. I don't see him reaching that level of popularity but you never know what he might become given his age. He's got plenty of time.

What made you research into DDT, EC?

CIMA vs Takeshita is an insane match. T-Hawk can get fucked.
    Well, I used to watch it in the day when Omega and Ibushi were there. And I was writing an indy BTB and looking for lesser known international stars to include. Takeshita really caught my attention.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Takeshita is a great in-ring talent. I wouldn't say THE BEST pure talent in that category in DDT but has been put in position to have the most good matches. I personally love what he brings to the table as someone who thinks DDT's comedy isn't funny, But while I do think he has some charisma but in DDT's world he's never taken as much as he probably should have as Ace. I think he just isn't able to pull off comedy as well as others & that has held him back a little, but they've actually missed his presence a lot at the top of cards this year as the title has been booked SO shitty this year.

I don't think Endo is the right person to point to as someone the fans don't want to move away from since he & Takeshita are generational rivals. Probably someone like Dino is closer to that, he's pushed way too heavily imo.

Strong Hearts have been awesome in Wrestle-1. Their matches from the 9/2 show were both great, especially the Lindaman/T-Hawk vs Doi/Kondo tag.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The Global League Blocks have been announced

Block A
    Naomichi Marufuji
    Akitoshi Saito
    Quiet Storm
    Katsuhiko Nakajima
    Kenoh
    Masa Kitamiya
    Mitsuya Nagai
    Kohei Sato

Block B
    Takashi Sugiura
    Mohammed Yone
    Go Shiozaki
    Atsushi Kotoge
    Kaito Kiyomiya
    Maybach Taniguchi
    Cody Hall
    Kazusada Higuchi

The notable inclusions are Kazusada Higuchi and Kohei Sato. There are some interesting match ups here as well. A Shiozaki vs Higuchi match and Nakajima vs Marufuji. Hopefully those are the matches that make tape, loads of potentially great matches. Should be a good tournament. I think the winner of the Global League depends on if Nakajima beats Sugiura for the GHC Heavyweight Title tonight. I'd say either Kenoh or Nakajima is winning.
    Last edited by MC 16; 10-04-2018 at 07:29 AM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Marufuji, Kotoge, Kenoh or Kiyomiya please.

Anybody else and I'm out.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Marufuji, Kotoge, Kenoh or Kiyomiya please.

Anybody else and I'm out.
    No Nakajima. Hmm, you've not been a fan of his heel run so far? I've personally loved it. He was always great but this added an extra layer to him and it's unleashed tons of personality. I do think Kenoh should win the Global League if you go off the booking of Kenoh and Sugiura but Nakajima is an acceptable choice.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Thread Information