Necro likes his reddit innit. Such a clunky spot lol

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

Yuji Nagata is teaming up with Jun Akiyama to challenge for the All Asia tag titles in AJPW. That's pretty dope, I'll be sure to check that match out.

Nagata and Akiyama for world tag league pls.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Necro likes his reddit innit. Such a clunky spot lol
    I'm a reddit junkie that's for sure.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

That's a great spot. Great balance from Ibushi to allow Ishii to do it.

Also, the AJPW 02/01 show is out RH Drive. Good show with a very good main event. Joe Doering vs Zeus.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Blade Runner

Status
      Country                    Australia

So I watched the Winter Navigation show. It was pretty good. Seeing Cody Hall was a trip, I thought he was still with New Japan but just out from injury or something, because I haven't heard anything about him in forever. Their Junior Tag champions, HAYATA and YO-HEY, have really cool looks and I would love to see them against Roppongi 3K. The two big singles matches were pretty good. It's also the first time I've seen Eddie Edwards since he teamed with Roderick Strong in PWG. Really made a mess of Kenoh's chest with them chops. But my MOTN was the Jr title match for sure. That Minoru Tanaka is pretty damn good for 45. I thought he was about 10 years young than that until I looked him up after the show. Definitely gonna try keep up with NOAH now.

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE.

PSN- DojoBF XBL- DarthTonfasands Steam- Dojo McMuscles

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SWITCHBLADE View Post
    So I watched the Winter Navigation show. It was pretty good. Seeing Cody Hall was a trip, I thought he was still with New Japan but just out from injury or something, because I haven't heard anything about him in forever. Their Junior Tag champions, HAYATA and YO-HEY, have really cool looks and I would love to see them against Roppongi 3K. The two big singles matches were pretty good. It's also the first time I've seen Eddie Edwards since he teamed with Roderick Strong in PWG. Really made a mess of Kenoh's chest with them chops. But my MOTN was the Jr title match for sure. That Minoru Tanaka is pretty damn good for 45. I thought he was about 10 years young than that until I looked him up after the show. Definitely gonna try keep up with NOAH now.
    I enjoyed that show a lot too, the jr and heavyweight title matches really delivered. I'm just watching on their first January show to drop now because I want to keep up with them this year.

I think he was initially taken off of NJPW shows because he got injured when someone dived on him, but I heard they got rid of him for attitude issues too.

Blade Runner

Status
      Country                    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I enjoyed that show a lot too, the jr and heavyweight title matches really delivered. I'm just watching on their first January show to drop now because I want to keep up with them this year.

I think he was initially taken off of NJPW shows because he got injured when someone dived on him, but I heard they got rid of him for attitude issues too.
    Yeah, last I remember of him was that it was one of The Young Bucks that landed right on top of his head by accident.

Also wanted to try and keep up with Dragon Gate mainly because Eita, but I just always feel so overwhelmed and out of the loop in regards to all the factions and stuff like that so I just give up until I hear something cool happened and the cycle repeats itself.

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE.

PSN- DojoBF XBL- DarthTonfasands Steam- Dojo McMuscles

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    I'm a reddit junkie that's for sure.
    The NJPW subreddit is genuinely tragic to look at. Please stay away or your brain will turn to mush. It's quite embarrassing tbh.

Dragon Gate is easy to keep up with. Use IHeartDG to learn more about the factions and wrestlers etc and what's going on. Honestly, DG is so much fucking fun it's criminal how little people speak about it.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

The NJPW subreddit is genuinely tragic to look at. Please stay away or your brain will turn to mush. It's quite embarrassing tbh.

Dragon Gate is easy to keep up with. Use IHeartDG to learn more about the factions and wrestlers etc and what's going on. Honestly, DG is so much fucking fun it's criminal how little people speak about it.
    Nah, I'm saying reddit in general. If I see cool clips, or pics in squaredcircle i'll post it here. Some of the stuff people post is just fun to me.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Spoiler:

DDT Final Spoilers

Shuji Ishikawa is taking on HARASHIMA in the Finals of the D-King Grand Prix. It should be a pretty good match. I hear today's show was pretty good as well.
    Haven't watched it yet though. Whoever wins this match should have one hell of a match with Takeshita.

Also, Riki Choshu Produce's Power Hall show today was pretty decent. Naomichi Marufuji & Shingo Takagi vs Masato Tanaka & Masa Kitamiya was Match of the Night for me. It got 1,687 fans apparently.

https://twitter.com/STRIGGA/status/952509818719424512
    Last edited by MC 16; 01-14-2018 at 08:09 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

Still to watch the Grand Prix and catch up with DDT in general. Hope it's been a good one. Got a bunch of shit to watch. Wish Marufuji was in the tournament this year. Would've been great fun. Could've had a match with Ishikawa.... Doesn't matter who wins because I trust Takeshita to have a good match with a broomstick at this point.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

zero give us another state of japan address and discuss the recent business of each company please (besides new japan and noah if you want to leave them out)

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Still to watch the Grand Prix and catch up with DDT in general. Hope it's been a good one. Got a bunch of shit to watch. Wish Marufuji was in the tournament this year. Would've been great fun. Could've had a match with Ishikawa.... Doesn't matter who wins because I trust Takeshita to have a good match with a broomstick at this point.
    I caught up with a lot of the Grand Prix yesterday. It's been decent so far.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    zero give us another state of japan address and discuss the recent business of each company please (besides new japan and noah if you want to leave them out)
    Zero will elaborate much more but things seem pretty much the same as last year in terms of hierarchy. NJPW still the casual's choice and easily the number 1. DG still popular in rural places - very touring heavy. DDT still holding strong with their core audience. AJPW doing well enough. BJW too. NOAH doing absolute dogshit for most of the year - drawing less than Joshi at times (embarrassing for them tbh) but making a comeback at the end of the year, seemingly.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 01-14-2018 at 08:40 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

Zero will elaborate much more but things seem pretty much the same as last year in terms of hierarchy. NJPW still the casual's choice and easily the number 1. DG still popular in rural places - very touring heavy. DDT still holding strong with their core audience. AJPW doing well enough. BJW too. NOAH doing absolute dogshit for most of the year - drawing less than Joshi at times (embarrassing for them tbh) but making a comeback at the end of the year, seemingly.
    More so interested in the individual strength versus hierarchy. I feel like (from the outside looking in) NOAH doing bad but coming around slightly is the story every year for awhile.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    More so interested in the individual strength versus hierarchy. I feel like (from the outside looking in) NOAH doing bad but coming around slightly is the story every year for awhile.
    I think they all have an average attendance increase for the year of 2017 minus NOAH. So you can say they are in a stronger position than last year. I think the majority of them ran more shows too than in 2016.

NOAH's problem is that they are unable to build new charismatic stars that can appeal to casuals like NJPW can. You watch a NOAH (or even AJPW) show and then compare it with NJPW and there is an unbelievable difference in charisma and appeal imo. NOAH, quite simply, hasn't attempted to change its product to appeal to a new set of fans and is reliant on attracting the same people as always. Obviously, they're going to get fed up of the same shit and go elsewhere. Plus likely to be influenced by the fact that a workrate centric product seems to be less appealing to the wrestling casual than it was in the 90s. However, NOAH seems to be getting behind Kenou and have put the belt on him. He cut a promo pretty much saying the era of Misawa-ism is done. So that seems to foreshadow a change in product so we'll see how that goes. Kenou, at least, is more charismatic than Nakajima. AJPW, to me, seems built to still appeal to fans of the Baba era rather than the sorta fans NJPW would attract. Problem is, that's going to lead to your demographic being an aging one versus a younger one.

Pretty much every promotion is on solid ground and trending upwards except NOAH. I think BJW will plateau much quicker than the rest. AJPW will follow eventually unless Akiyama can create more Kento-like stars. DDT had their highest attendance this year. No need to explain anything about NJPW because it's obvious.

My take on it. Zero probably has figures and shit.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 01-14-2018 at 10:11 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

NOAH's problem was when they brought in Suzuki-Gun and had an awful product that "killed the town" and also ruined many promising relationships with other companies and they've had to rebuild hard from a really bad era. Nakajima was a bad choice as the next Ace to come out of it because he wasn't very charismatic and more importantly was bland and didn't know how to carry himself as a champion. Eddie was a good follow up as an outsider who loves Misawa, everyone loves Misawa and they've had a great turnaround into the Kenoh era. It's only been a couple of months and you never know what's going to happen but I would say they're unquestionably trending in the right direction. They do the best job of having complete shows with Jr. & Tags that are actually important. If you look at their big shows, when they ran Yokohama, which is AJPW's home base of operations they actually did a bigger number than AJPW did and they are working more with DDT & BJW which is great for them all around. Also of note is that they're getting more trainees which they have desperately needed.

AJPW is good, did a big number for the tag league final and Kento is a legit draw. They've had some bad booking though that's taken them off at the end of last year that related to some unfortunate NJPW involvement that unlike NOAH they seem to be smart enough to have stayed away from for now. But they seem to be turning it around, would highly recommend Zeus vs Joe Doering to anyone, as it's what they need as much as Kento imo because it's a great example of what they have that NJPW doesn't and they need more of that. They're in a really good position.

I would say BJW's already plateaued. Look at the start of Hideki Suzuki's title run's numbers in March to the end of the year. Deathmatches are a blessing and a curse because you'll always have a specific audience but it caps the or fanbase and the Strong division outside of Hideki/Sekimoto/Okabayashi is just bland and boring wrestling.

DDT is very healthy, they also have something nobody else does besides NJPW which is backing by a huge company that fronts them lots of cash. Drawing wise they're up and down though, just the other day they had a show that tanked bad with like 500 fans or something. Feels like they were hotter two years ago but would way rather be them than other 3. (Though AJPW & NOAH will always have more upside as they're considered part of the mainstream) A lot of DDT fans I know in Japan and here as well also dislike their Ace, Takeshita for being boring which I don't really agree with at all, but DDT is primarily a comedy fed and he's just a great wrestler so it is something to watch how things go. In general I don't like comparing them or Dragon Gate to the others because their fanbase in general really aren't the same as the ones the others compete for but they're both healthy.

W-1 is getting better under the guise of their Ace, Shotaro Ashino and have two good big show numbers in the last half of the year in Korakuen and I believe Yokohama as well. But they have a long way to go still.

Japanese wrestling in general is healthy. NJPW's success has likely helped along others but as NOAH's poor numbers in the past has shown if your product is not good or you're sitting with a lame duck Ace it can still get ugly. I can't remember the last time there has been this many companies that provide good wrestling in Japan all at once really, hopefully it keeps up and NOAH & AJPW can continue their momentum from the end of 2017.
    I'm a good looking guy, but you show absolutely no interest in dating me! But...you're so nice to me.

What was I supposed to do? It's only natural that I'd fall in love...

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

^^^ Good Stuff

Watched the last three matches of the BJW New Years Show 2018 and I thought all three matches were pretty good. I'm normally not into deathmatches too much but Masashi Takeda vs. Takumi Tsukamoto was really good. Very brutal match, the crowd was super into the match and some of the spots were really good. Only bad part of the match for me was Takumi just no selling a body slam at one point but I suppose in a deathmatch, a bodyslam doesn't really compare to a bed on pencils . Daichi Hashimoto vs. Ryuichi Kawakami was shockingly good as well. I loved Chop/Kick battles and this match had just that. Ryuichi Kawakami split Daichi's chest open with the first chop. Nasty stuff. Both impressed me in the match. Daisuke Sekimoto & Hideki Suzuki vs. Twin Towers (Kohei Sato & Shuji Ishikawa) was a great tag match. The match didn't last long and it was a tremendous sprint towards the final bell from the very start. I would love more then to see a Hideki Suzuki vs Shui Ishikawa match in 2018.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

My take on Suzuki-gun and NOAH is that I think people blame the wrong party in Suzuki-gun. The problem is, and always has been, NOAH's booking. It's totally fucking directionless and provides absolutely no one to buy into as the main guy. The Suzuki-gun angle was booked horribly - there was no obvious endgame and NOAH took far too long to pick Nakajima as the guy when everyone had lost interest. They should have pulled the trigger much earlier with him. The difference with Kenoh is that they have pulled the trigger at the completely right time. But yeah, NOAH booking is to blame for the Suzuki-gun stuff. I think Suzuki-gun was supposed to be a short term fix to prevent them cratering completely. They had no one ready to take the mantle of ace. NOAH hasn't had much of a storyline running at the top up until this year. I'll just say this: everyone who invaded NJPW from NOAH suddenly became interesting during that angle. Says enough for me and how NJPW was helping. It was mostly on NOAH for not long term booking properly as usual. It's working with Kenoh. I'm confident he's going to be great. This year, I think, it should be noted how much NOAH has improved with their in ring product especially. They've had some fucking great matches this year.

DDT is fine imo. Takeshita will grow into the role. His push is just starting, I think.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 01-16-2018 at 08:28 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I have to say that I'm unsure about Takeshita. He is a great wrestler obviously but there is something about him that feels off. Not sure what it is though, just something.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Thread Information