Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: It (2017)

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: It (2017)

Saw this last night. It was really, really fucking good. Skarsgard was outstanding and the rest of the cast was really good on top of that. The chemistry was there and, in general, the reactions and everything felt genuine. Obviously, you never know what you're getting with child actors but these ones were pretty flawless tbh. Skarsgard definitely stands out as being different to Curry, I'll say that. I felt Curry kinda portrayed a half and half clown at times - one that comes across as friendly but obviously has that ulterior motive whilst Skarsgard's just straight up frightening from the get go. There's no friendliness. It's just creep factor 100%. For me, anyway. I think the opening scene might feel a little different to some but I felt no friendship from Skarsgard at all in it. On that note, opening scene of the movie is incredibly well done and sets the tone perfectly. It works as a good acid test, too. If you think the opening scene blows, you're not going to like the rest of the movie and vice versa.

Really suspenseful at times and definitely super creepy. No qualms about saying this is probably one of the best movies of the year from a personal standpoint. Really has done King justice, I feel. Some negatives (maybe) are that the movie might feel like it could be better in parts with regards to fluidity and scenes meshing well together - someone more into analyzing that aspect might pick a lot of holes in it. By this I mean the mood can change a little too quick for some stuff to sink in fully. I also think that trailers for this movie might have ruined the effectiveness of some scares. There's a few more flaws but it's hard to elaborate here without potentially spoiling or giving away some things.

I'm not sure about calling this a full on horror movie, I'd say it's probably closer to a psychological thriller. I guess that's the vibe the original kinda gave off too, though. Some might view this as being closer to something like The Goonies or Stand By Me rather than fitting in with other horror movies. It's definitely got that coming-of-age aspect to it and that might be the dominant vibe for some. I think it found a right balance for the most part. Give me the sequel now.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I honestly didn't think the horror aspect of the movie ever really hit on all cylinders, if only because I didn't find anything outside of

Spoiler:

Georgie's death and Pennywise jumping out of the screen during the slide projector scene
    all that scary.

On the other hand, I really liked how the coming of age aspect of the story was handled, the characters were all very well fleshed out and portrayed and the shocking amount of humour in a story so cold was fantastic. Overall I was happy with the end result and I'm looking forward to seeing chapter two whenever it comes out.

I kind of disagree with the statement that Skarsgard didn't add any playfulness to Pennywise. He certainly seemed to be doing so in the opening scene and at one point nearly had to shut himself down because he made Georgie laugh too much. He definitely portrayed the character differently than Curry did mind you, but I still feel that moment and a few others did show the more playful side without going as full blown as Curry did.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps
    Get out and kick their ass! Even if its Grandma!

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I honestly didn't think the horror aspect of the movie ever really hit on all cylinders, if only because I didn't find anything outside of

Spoiler:

Georgie's death and Pennywise jumping out of the screen during the slide projector scene
    all that scary.

On the other hand, I really liked how the coming of age aspect of the story was handled, the characters were all very well fleshed out and portrayed and the shocking amount of humour in a story so cold was fantastic. Overall I was happy with the end result and I'm looking forward to seeing chapter two whenever it comes out.

I kind of disagree with the statement that Skarsgard didn't add any playfulness to Pennywise. He certainly seemed to be doing so in the opening scene and at one point nearly had to shut himself down because he made Georgie laugh too much. He definitely portrayed the character differently than Curry did mind you, but I still feel that moment and a few others did show the more playful side without going as full blown as Curry did.

I don't really feel like he was all that playful throughout the movie. In the opening scene, a little bit... but I still feel like he projects a dark vibe as soon as he appears on screen. The way he speaks to Georgie is chilling compared to how Curry first spoke to him. I guess I just viewed everything he did as properly creepy compared to how Curry acted the parts. Probably my fault for just comparing him to Curry in those regards. You're right he was definitely playful in the opening scene though but I still felt more of an overpowering creepy vibe. That might just come from knowing what's about to happen, though. I'm just happy that Skarsgard worked out well for the role. He did his own thing.

Spoiler:

I think the basement scene was a little scary. The projector and Georgie's death was really done well, though. I was surprised at Georgie's death tbh. The arm being ripped off was nasty af then being dragged away. Brutal. As I said, I didn't think the movie was fully horror but Skarsgard being so unsettling really made it work IMO with regards to the psychological stuff.

RE playfulness, I do think Pennywise was kinda playful in terms of how he toyed with them. It was really well done. Though that doesn't make him friendly, obviously.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 09-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Spoiler:

The best part about the projector scene was that I was convinced they'd blown their load with it in the previews so I was pretty happy that it got even crazier. In regards to playfulness, call me crazy but I really did think he was being playful when he was waving at Mike with the dismembered arm.

This is definitely a minor point but one thing that I couldn't really get behind was Stanley's scary painting. I've always felt Modigliani's work (which it's clearly inspired by) is quite beautiful so the last thing that was on my mind was how scary the woman looked. I get that most people would have found the distorted image scary but it just didn't work for me so by the time she was sucking Stanley's face I'd checked out on a fear level. I do think it's funny that the woman also bears a little resemblance to Mama from the directors previous film. Perhaps he'll somehow find a way to insert a gangly, demonic looking woman into every one of his movies.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

Status
      Country                    United States

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $123,100,000 65.0%
    + Foreign: $66,300,000 35.0%
    = Worldwide: $189,400,000
    Wow amazing numbers. The budget was 35 million.

BURNING HAMMER!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    Wow amazing numbers. The budget was 35 million.
    Wow, just wow. That's waht happens when you have great promotion for a film and delivering on it.
    Io KENTA Mayu

Shuyaku

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

So Pennywise grabbed me and dragged me to the Sewer and I survived. No I didn't need Battery Acid, just needed to Shibata him and he dropped like a ton of Bricks and ran back like a bitch.

Spoiler:

Wow what a wonderful film. I almost forgot at times that this is a Horror/Thriller Film because theirs alot of coming of age scenes in this Move like the Losers Club jumping off that Cliff and going into the Water. Even the scene where all the Boys are looking at Beverly and then turning away as she looked at them is so perfectly done. The great times don't last because everytime you had a scene like that, you had to remind us yeah theirs a Demonic Clown with Powers who is still on the prowl wanting to kill us all. That Projector Scene had me a little shook I gotta be honest and I don't get afraid of Horror films like that so job done on that. It's one thing to try to say I'm going to eat you or kill you, but the mental abuse is just as worse because Pennywise is trying to get them at their lowest of lows and he nearly got the job done. Even the part where Pennywise was waving a Arm at Mike when he was getting his ass kicked was wtf this guy is a Voyeur too he likes to watch.

I love how the tone of this Movie was set first scenes with Geordie's death and damn that was terrifying to see the kid being dragged helpless as no one is around to help him. Skarsgard was amazing as Pennywise and is intimidating as he should be. I look forward to how they play with the fact Pennywise who doesn't have a age is going to try to do the same thing in the second film when the Losers Club are going to be in their 40's. When it comes to the kids it's like making some Gumbo, you need all the right ingredients to make the Gumbo just right to eat, and all these kids are great together. I heard they are planning to do the second chapter 2019, and begin shooting early 2018 which is a good thing so if they want to do flashbacks the kids will hopefully look the same. Easily for me my favorite Movie based off a Stephen King Novel and when I'm mentally fucked after watching a film then I know it's a Movie I can over and over. I have a question as I end my thoughts off the Bully who was bullying the Losers Club pretty sure he's dead right or is he not? I mean Pennywise could of killed him if he wanted to, but he wanted to align with him to kill the kids and he got to him making him kill his Dad as he slept. I wonder is that how the Bully died in the Book, because in the original film the kid hair turned White and he took all the blame for the deaths of kids and people in Derry right?

Anyways this Movie might of snuck in my fav of 2017, and I look forward to who do they get for the Losers Club as Adults. Please have Jessica Chastain as Beverly would be a perfect match.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Spoiler:

Bowers lives in the book. After seeing Belch and Vic killed he escapes from the sewer and gets blamed for the murders. Not sure how they'll address that in the sequel since it would seem like a stretch for him to come back. On the subject of the Bowers gang, I was kind of disappointed that they didn't delve deeper into the Patrick Hocksetter character but I can see why given the time constraints of the film.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

Shuyaku

Status

Spoiler:

Bowers lives in the book. After seeing Belch and Vic killed he escapes from the sewer and gets blamed for the murders. Not sure how they'll address that in the sequel since it would seem like a stretch for him to come back. On the subject of the Bowers gang, I was kind of disappointed that they didn't delve deeper into the Patrick Hocksetter character but I can see why given the time constraints of the film.

Spoiler:

I'm reading on his character Fuji woah. He believes he is the only true real human being and he killed his brother? From reading his story in the Book he's a very sick man and I would of loved to see how he's crazier than Bowers. I wondering when Stanley dies instead of a Suicide in fear of having to deal with Pennywise again, how about Stanley wants to kill himself and he has flashbacks and then he thinks otherwise not to kill him. That one moment of fear helps Pennywise get to him and cuts his Throat and his Wrists and his Wife finds him dead oohh yeah!

Real Women of Genius

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

The Bastard of Bolton

Status

Caught this last night after hearing alot of good things about it. Have to say going in I did have concerns having loved the Tim curry version. But after seeing the film I was blown away. Thought this film was a fantastic movie and absolutely loved Bill skarsgaard as pennywise. For me this was one of the best movies I've watched this year. Cannot wait to see a sequel.

Shuyaku

Status

Spoiler:

I forgot to mention one of my favorite scenes in this film was when Pennywise tried to strike a deal with The Losers Club to let them all go if they let him kill and eat Bill. That scene to me is so great, because Pennywise is desperate at this point need to feast. Remember he had all those floating in his Lair, and I think he might of not of eaten Patrick, so you could say Pennywise might not of eaten since the death of Geordie. Once he saw the Losers Club getting interested in him and maybe he went Cold Turkey to have one big meal? Also he was storing the bodies to eat later which is why this scene I'm talking about was so great. Even how it ends with all of them coming together to kick his ass was great. I still think the death of Stan should be the be the first scene in Chapter 2 with my modification to it would be even better than the original. Imagine the Losers Club finding out later Stan didn't kill himself, he had a moment of weakness and Pennywise won the Chess Battle. You could even do a Countdown type of thing where it turns 12 Midnight showing the 27 year and Pennywise can room free.

Real Women of Genius

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

It (2017)

Spoiler:

Sorry but Pennywise killing Stan would definitely not make that scene better. That's one of the most perfect scenes in the book and they should try to keep it as close to that as possible.

The next movie will almost certainly start with the death of Adrian Mellon so that they can move the narrative forward to Mike calling all the losers to come back.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Spoiler:

Sorry but Pennywise killing Stan would definitely not make that scene better. That's one of the most perfect scenes in the book and they should try to keep it as close to that as possible.

The next movie will almost certainly start with the death of Adrian Mellon so that they can move the narrative forward to Mike calling all the losers to come back.

Spoiler:

Are we 100% certain that Mike is going to be the one who stays in Derry? It seems like the movie gave Ben some of Mike's characteristics, most notably being the one researching the history of Derry. He also spent time in the Derry library and while I know he does that in the book as well I can see them having adult Ben take adult Mike's place as the librarian who stays in Derry. While I wouldn't want them to make that big a change from the book I can see it happening.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Spoiler:

The director said that Mike would be the one staying in Derry but he'd have a darker arc. I don't have the article handy at the moment but it's on AV Club.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

The only thing I really didn't like about the movie:

Spoiler:

why didn't they have a scene with richie and IT? all the other kids had one if I remember right except him. was it just so he could say the virgin line in the movie?

Not really a huge detail but it just stood out to me as weird.

Shuyaku

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    The only thing I really didn't like about the movie:

Spoiler:

why didn't they have a scene with richie and IT? all the other kids had one if I remember right except him. was it just so he could say the virgin line in the movie?

Not really a huge detail but it just stood out to me as weird.
    Spoiler:

Yeah I'm guessing you're talking about his interactions with Pennywise before going in the House right? I think I remember Richie saying he's afraid of Clowns and remember them in the Park and that Clown looking at him weirdly, almost felt like was IT, but it probably wasn't most likely. I do remember in the Book he had a few interactions with IT, whether it was the Teenage Werewolf or a Statue of Paul Bunyan so yeah they left those scenes like that for sure.

Real Women of Genius

BURNING HAMMER!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Spoiler:

I thought the movie was good. The acting from the children was pretty good and they played fear well, which is hard to do and not make it over the top. IT it's self was very creepy and was good at acting playfully at one moment and very sinister the next.

The scares was done well, there was a felling that anything could pop out. Nice to see that the film delved into Henry Bowers backstory a bit more, just wished they did more with Patrick Hofstadter who is a real complex character which is unusual for someone who has a short life span in both the book and the film.
    Io KENTA Mayu

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Fucking thing sucked.

Spoiler:

Just kidding. I liked it, it was pretty good. Didn't blow me away or anything but it justified its existence as a remake, and then some. The only part that really bugged me was Stan getting separated from the pack and then screaming and blaming them for leaving him. It's just too stupid to try to imagine anything being distracting enough to get you alone when you know there's a deadly-mysterious-entity that thrives on fear after you, especially after the group-speech about not being alone. Other than that, good stuff. The trailers beforehand sucked a big D though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucha Bear
    Well...you can't have anything in life

I HAVE STARTED STREAMING MY GAME SESSIONS
    ...COME AND CHECK IT OUT IF YOU'RE BORED,OK?

Thread Information