Thread: The World's Best Teams.

The Whole Fucking Brand

Status
    In a Hovel, underneath a rock............ in Narnia
      Country                    uk_england=England

The World's Best Teams.

Now the footballing year is over from a club perspective, I feel that this is a perfect time to judge the which are the best clubs in the world. Obviously it will be dominated by Europe, so can teams from other continents make the cut?

Personally, I straight away think of Manchester City, Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid. Then teams like Bayern Munich, Milan & Chelsea come to mind (For their UCL win.)

So if it came down to it, who would you say where the top 20 teams in the world at the moment?

Let's go Al-Ahly.

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: The World's Best Teams.

I dont really know much about teams outside Europe barring some Brazilian league teams and the MLS so will base my results on Europe only. Instead of putting a top 20 I have split up my results into two categories. Things like Juventus going unbeaten in Serie A and Montpellier downing the moneybags in France deserve a mention but neither would be called one of the biggest clubs. Obviously others might disagree with my findings but hey thats life!!

Top 12 by talent

1. Barcelona
    2. Real Madrid
    3. Bayern Munich
    4. Manchester City
    5. Chelsea
    6. Manchester United
    7. Borussia Dortmund
    8. Atletico Madrid
    9. Tottenham
    9. Arsenal
    11.Athletic Bilbao
    12.Juventus

Top 12 by 2011-12 performance

1. Chelsea
    2. Juventus
    3. Montpellier
    4. Manchester City
    5. Real Madrid
    6. Borussia Dortmund
    7. Bayern Munich
    8. Atletico Madrid
    9. Barcelona
    10. Athletic Bilbao
    11. Manchester United
    12. AC Milan

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I don't see how you can rate Chelsea the top team in Europe for the whole season. They had a great last few months but until AVB they didn't look anywhere near the best team in the World right now.

Also don't see how you can rate a team like Barca 9th. Even though this was a disappointing season by their standards they still finished 2nd in the league (like they were gonna finish anywhere below that but stiil). won the Copa Del Rey, Club World Championship, Supercopa & The Super Cup. Plus made it to the semi's of the Champions league.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    I don't see how you can rate Chelsea the top team in Europe for the whole season. They had a great last few months but until AVB they didn't look anywhere near the best team in the World right now.

Also don't see how you can rate a team like Barca 9th. Even though this was a disappointing season by their standards they still finished 2nd in the league (like they were gonna finish anywhere below that but stiil). won the Copa Del Rey, Club World Championship, Supercopa & The Super Cup. Plus made it to the semi's of the Champions league.

Because I am rating it on success and putting perspective into what success is and how it was achieved

Well I put them there on the basis that World Club Cup doesnt offer much competition, the only other team of any decency in there was Santos and barring Neymar dont offer much, and every other team probably would have beat them in my list. I count the World Club Cup as a secondary competition as only last seasons result gets you there and there is no competition. And I will still think this despite Chelsea being there this year. Barca finished second but thats because they are in as you said a poor league. Second was the minimum for them and above them only Munich didnt win anything

Chelsea won the ultimate competitition. Every team below them would swap their accomplishments of the season for the Champions League win. But Chelsea also won the FA cup which helps their cause to be the most successful of 11-12.

Juventus went unbeaten and recaptured the title for the first time since being relegated. If they werent unbeaten they would have dropped a few places for sure

Montpellier, dont think many can argue, they have won the French league without money and with a team that is inferior to that of PSG, Lyon, Marseille and Lille.

Manchester City and Real Madrid winning their leagues were why they came in next, beaing their fierce rivals in the process and City above Madrid was because it was their first premier league title.

Dortmund would be higher but the German league isnt as competitive as the English league. They won the double which is why they are up there

Bayern Munich got to the CL final, German cup final and finished second in the league, Atletico Madrid won the Europa league and i suppose these two along with Barca were in a trio that coudld have been placed in any order for me. Bilbao got to two finals so they went next

And United and Milan were the best of the second placed teams in the leagues barring Barca and Munich who performed well outside of their league aswell something United and Milan didnt

When I based these on performace, success was a main factor.

I put Barca as the most talented team, I would put Messi as the most talented player and the best performer despite his semi-final performance and any team that won the CL whether it be Bayern, Barca or Madrid would have been placed top of my list....its the ultimate achievement for a club.

The EST of WC

Status

But Performance and Success are two different things. Team can be successful without performing at a REALLY oustanding level. Plus one thing I noticed is that when it came to all the other teams you've taken their whole season into account. With Chelsea it seems like you've just took their success over the last 3 months and said yeah they are the best team in the World. I just don't get that

Juve & Montepellier I have no issues with. Have no Issues with Madrid either. City maybe could have dropped a few places because while they had good league campaigns their euro runs were horrible. Chelsea too should be lower because while they had a great 3 months they had a slack 6 months or so prior to that, the UCL run brings them up but defo not too first. Not even top 3 this season for me. Maybe top 5.

Still with Barca I don't see how winning 4/6 trophies entered into and finishing runner up in one and top 4 in the other warrents them being so low.

Main Eventer

Status

Its always going to be a matter of opinion but to me Barca only won more because they were in more based on last years performance - i.e. being in the Super Cup. European Super Cup and World Club Cup

Other than that they only won there domestic cup and finished second. The old saying is nobody remembers who came second just who the winner was and Chelsea won more competitive, important cups.

Given the chance im pretty sure most clubs would do away with the World Club cup. A pointless tournament played in the middle of a season. Just look at the final this year 4-0 to Barca that says all we need to know about that cup

If Chelsea were to win the world club cup, european super cup, FA cup, finish second in the league and last four of CL I bet yo would rate Barca higher if all they won was the CL

Lets just agree to disagree

The EST of WC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TheSykotic1 View Post
    Its always going to be a matter of opinion but to me Barca only won more because they were in more based on last years performance - i.e. being in the Super Cup. European Super Cup and World Club Cup

Other than that they only won there domestic cup and finished second. The old saying is nobody remembers who came second just who the winner was and Chelsea won more competitive, important cups.

Given the chance im pretty sure most clubs would do away with the World Club cup. A pointless tournament played in the middle of a season. Just look at the final this year 4-0 to Barca that says all we need to know about that cup

If Chelsea were to win the world club cup, european super cup, FA cup, finish second in the league and last four of CL I bet yo would rate Barca higher if all they won was the CL

Lets just agree to disagree
    1. Point wasnt about them winning more than Chelsea by the way just that they did really well in all the competitons they were entered into

2. If Barca finished like 6th in their league no i wouldn't

I'll agree to disagree but really don't think 3 good months fully compensates for 6 mehish months.

Thread Information