Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Miz

WWE Mod

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

The Miz

So I'm a big fan of The Miz, not that I've made it obvious or anything. I've been a member of these forums for almost a year now but have only been 'active' for a couple of months. However it hit me today that I've not actually started a thread (except for my introduction) and what better topic to choose?

So since his WWE championship reign which ended in April of 2011, The Miz seems to have found himself in a downward spiral of sorts. Aside from his run as part of 'The Awesome Truth' he has rarely troubled the main eventers and is no longer seen as a threat to the likes of CM Punk and John Cena. Despite title matches at TLC and Elimination Chamber, as well as lasting the longest in the 2012 Royal Rumble, he hasn't pushed on from there and he now finds himself in a difficult place. They teased a revival at Wrestlemania but once again it amounted to nothing and he has recently been finding himself on the end of a string of defeats to the Funkasaurus. I've seen people keep mentioning that he failed to catch R-Truth in that 6 pack challenge before EC but can that really be the reason he's been dropped, or as others like to put it, buried?

On the latest edition of Monday Night Raw he was nowhere to be seen, which could point out that he's off to film the latest WWE film. My questions are:

Do you still see The Miz as one of the top contenders in the WWE?
    If no, do you feel there is any way back for him?
    In the possibility that he has gone to film his new movie and may be away for a few weeks, how would you book him on his return? Maybe even give him a change of character?
    I have said before that I think he could benefit greatly from a face turn, would you agree?
    Do you care?

So that's my first proper thread, I'll be interested to read your thoughts. It'll either generate some discussion or be no-sold, we shall see

HOSS MOD

Status

Re: The Miz

Pretty decent thread...I could see this generating some discussion.

Allow me to break down your questions one-by-one...

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Is Miz View Post
    Do you still see The Miz as one of the top contenders in the WWE? If no, do you feel there is any way back for him?
    In a word...no. Miz is clearly not one of the top contenders in the WWE simply because he finds himself without a storyline and a feud to really care about. It's the same problem as a lot of Superstars have had with the returns of Rock and Lesnar, but man...nobody's fallen harder and faster than Miz has. As far as a way back, I would have to say "Yes," but that all depends on whether or not WWE wants Miz to return to prominence or are content to just have him on the roster. WWE's certainly not hurting right now for viable heels, so it'll be tough for Miz to regain his spot atop the card as a heel himself.

In the possibility that he has gone to film his new movie and may be away for a few weeks, how would you book him on his return? Maybe even give him a change of character?
    Again, this question hinges on if he comes back as a face or heel. If he comes back as a face, all he has to do target some mid-to-high level heel, have a program that allows both men to shine, and I think Miz could carve a niche for himself. If he comes back a heel, he's going to have to put some serious work in to re-establish himself as a top contender. Winning streak, beating quality opponents...stuff like that. That's not to say those wins have to be clean, because heels gotta heel it up and all...but anything's better than dancing like a rusty robot before getting squished by Brodus Clay.

I have said before that I think he could benefit greatly from a face turn, would you agree?
    He may well benefit from a paradigm shift, but again it all depends on whether the Creative Team gives a damn or not. Turning face/heel to freshen up a character is a worthy plan to be considered, but what you do to follow up the change is even more important. I guess I'll say "Yes" for now if only because anything's better than what he's doing right now.

Do you care?
    Nope. And it has nothing to do with Mike Mizanin himself. It's the same with Zack Ryder or any character that goes from any level of prominence to doing the J.O.B. nearly every time they lace up their boots. If the WWE, who is supposed to create characters and storylines that I feel so invested in that I'm willing to spend my hard-earned money to buy tickets/merch/PPVs doesn't care about these guys, then why should I?

Sammy!?!

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I don't think the wwe takes Miz seriously, like at over the limit he may have came in second in the battle royal but the whole match with Brodus was slilly. I;ve always thought Miz should be a top contender, but as of lately he hasn't been, and I think a face turn would be a good idea.

CHIMICHANGAS!

WWE Mod

Status

Thanks Cyrus.

I think your reply to the last question sums up how the majority of people feel right now, people are being given no reason to care about what he's doing. It's the kind of answer I was looking for rather than a simple yes or no.

I think that if he was to continue on as a heel there'd be no way back to the top. He can still draw heat but he's not doing anything different right now. I was tempted to say 'give him a tag partner' but he's split up with too many partners in the past and I doubt people would take another tag team involving Miz very seriously. You'd just be waiting for them to split up.

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

When I see Miz these days......He is in the same situation as Jack Swagger was/is....He was given a big push and won a World title, but for whatever reason management didn`t like how he came across as a major player or didn`t generate enough money as the main guy...He is now stuck as a low to midcard guy..

Simply The Greatest

Status
    I'm pissed about it. Makes no sense. Why have someone win the main event of WRESTLEMANIA just to take a dump on them less than a year later? He can talk well and is one of their top PR guys. As much as I hate it, I'd be in favor of him turning face or moving to Smackdown. It just overall makes no sense. He deserves way more.

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status
      Country                    United States

Dude's alright. I've just never bought into him as a main eventer. Mid or upper mid card sure.

Spoiler:

BTB Legend

Status

Miz is a guy who has proven willing and very able to promote the company and himself and looks good when doing the media rounds, with the media liking the guy because of his look and past on the Real World. Seems to me that's the type of guy you find a way to work with when it comes to hiding his weaknesses, which is mainly his ring work, and accentuating his strengths, his mic work and personality. The problems came with his first title run, which followed the same basic formula for the first tile run for guys who aren't 'proven'; cheap wins that were presented in a manner that undercut their credibility as champion. The only guys Miz was really put over on were John Morrison, a midcarder,and Jerry Lawler, an announcer. Other than that, Miz was never really portrayed, either in the matches or the finishes, as credible wrestler or champion.

And that presentation was only amplified a million fold when it came to his Wrestlemania match with John Cena. Miz was portrayed as such a bit player, a guy not to be taken seriously or cared about, that it pretty much killed him dead as a main eventer and put him in the position of needing some serious rehab to be a meaningful in the top mix. Rehab he never really got. Up until the infamous tag match at Survivor Series, he either lost or won in a manner that did nothing to make anyone take him seriously as anything other than guy to make up the numbers on the card. He was shifted from the opening match to high up the card and was left off one PPV altogether.

The build up to Survivor Series with Miz and R-Truth against The Rock and John Cena was more of the same thing that led up to Wrestlemania; booking that did nothing to make Miz someone to take seriously or make you care about him as an antagonist. Miz was a total afterthought. And then the numbers came in and, well, we couldn't blame the poor showing on Rock, Cena or the writing team. No; it was down to the Miz and/or R-Truth. With Truth having his delayed suspension finally enacted upon, that left poor Miz to take the blame and he was virtual cannon fodder once again, aside from putting John Morrison on the shelf, an angle that led to nothing of note for Miz. Miz didn't help his cause when he botched catching R-Truth on the dive but he was already in purgatory by that point. Aside from being a last-minute addition the multi-man match at Wrestlemania, Miz has been just another geek on the roster, a guy to fill a space when needed, the very definition of an afterthought.

And now that he's been assigned as the newest Marine, he appears to be jobbing his way out, with the presumed thought process being that it doesn't matter because he'll be freshened up when he returns. The problem with that is when you add on this to how Miz has been treated dating all the way back to the start of last year, around the time of feud with Orton, all it does is further reinforce the perception that he's comedy jobber fodder. They're not just lightly tapping us on the buttocks with the dildo anymore; they're ramming it all the way up into our colon.

The damage has been done but it's not irreversible. They might not be able to make Miz the best money drawing Miz he could be, that ship might have already sailed, but they can still make him into a meaningful main event player. It'll take time to build Miz back up into a guy that people can take seriously and, more importantly, buy at even just the midcard-level. But they can get him there. And after a while, long enough that people can stop feeling like he'll be jerked back into the midcard at any moment, they can start slowly pushing him back up the card and eventually into a meaningful money program.

The problem with that is, like most problems WWE has, it will take time and patience, and those are two qualities that WWE, when it comes to writing, just don't seem to have anymore. WWE want instant results, a quick reaction to their latest project, and when they don't get it, they either change plans and go in a totally different direction or just give up altogether and move on to the next silly monkey that's caught their attention.

GMT Baby

Status

It seems strange to me that they seem to have so little faith in Miz, despite less than a year ago trusting him to be an integral part of the Rock's return when he was part of 'Awesome Truth'.

In my opinion if Del Rio can hold down a heel position that high on the card, then Miz should certainly push himself to get ahead of Del Rio is he is miles better in my eyes.

A face turn however could be a good idea, he has the sort of look of a face, in the same way that Sheamus looks like a heel, and as there is not an overwhelming amount of faces then yes he may benefit from a turn.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

As a big fan of The Miz (been a supporter of his since the beginning) it's not really fun seeing him get this treatment, but he's gone through it before when he first came in and he was able to persevere through it and became US Champion, tag team champion, and WWE Champion. I think if given time he'll be able to persevere through it again and get back on top. Honestly though, I just think it's just WWE not really having anything in mind for him to do at this point. I don't think it's them losing faith in him, there's just so many other things going on right now that they can't find anything for Miz to do. Now he's off filming that movie too, so there's that reason why he wasn't on TV this week.

If a face turn is what he really needs then I'd be all for it. If they do the draft this year a move to Smackdown wouldn't really hurt either.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Status

To me, he'll be a great PR and promo guy who is decent and sometimes sloppy in the ring. He'll be a midcarder/upper mid-carder for life, but there's no way he should be delegated to pretty much jobber duty every time he's on the show. He's great for the occasional comedy skit (see his dance at OTL), and is willing to do whatever crap you want him to do.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Miz is a guy who will always be able to stay over because of his mic skills. The comparisons between him and Jericho in 2002-2004 have been made before but I think they're very accurate. The problem with Miz is two sided, in my opinion: when he's motivated, he can be really good. From what we've seen of Miz's career so far, I get the impression that he is only motivated when getting pushed. Since he lost the WWE title, I can count the amount of good matches he's had on one hand and his promos have been pretty uninspiring. I'm not a huge Miz fan even though I did enjoy his WWE Title run.

I don't think there's anyone in WWE that could do with a turn more than Miz at this point. His heel persona has gotten stale and repetitive and has been for a long time. A face turn could do some good things for him and hopefully freshen up his character.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

The Miz is one of those guys that I just.... I dunno.

On the mic, excellent. Intimidating, charismatic, sounds like a proper wanker if I'm honest. Although

In the ring, his offence is just not buyable. He works so light, or at least appears to work so light, that I just can't buy into it at all. At the end of the day there are at least 10-15 guys on the roster who can put on a better match, and if you think about it, why would you push Miz over one of those guys? He's where he belongs at the moment, based on in-ring alone. He'll be back soon enough.

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2018 - 20/15/1 - 4th in Regular Season, 2nd Overall

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    au=Australia

I would like to see Miz fued with Jericho.

Or turn him face & have him as the 2nd top face of SD brand

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

In a word; no.

To be more specific; he's fallen from grace, but it's not something that can't be fixed. He's done some amazing mic work in the past and is able to be funny and likeable as well as serious, irritating and hated. He's taking some time out to film the new WWE film and whether he comes back as a face or a heel, I can see him regaining his momentum without much trouble when he returns. Booking permitting of course.

In the possibility that he has gone to film his new movie and may be away for a few weeks, how would you book him on his return?
    If they wanted to keep him heel then I think I'd have him cost Clay a match. The Funkasaurus has been a big monkey on the back of Miz for the past few weeks and if I remember correctly he's beaten Miz twice in singles competition and once in a six-man tag (although I may be wrong). Miz shouldn't let that go. Cost Clay a match, get a cheap win over him on PPV, to move on to someone else.

He needs to be seen to be making progress and avenging loses he's taken before his time away. He needs to be actively looking for ways to defeat guys. Maybe alligning himself with AW (if he's still around) so that he has Epico, Primo, Rosa, and Mason Ryan to help him out, should he need it.

As someone has already said, Miz works better when he's motivated, and he's motivated when he's being used and pushed correctly. He's a great PR guy for the company, so keeping him happy should be a priority.

Maybe even give him a change of character?
    Changing his character and keeping him heel doesn't seem likely, as I can't think of anything they could really do. Turning him face however, could really work well for him.

I've always thought that a face turn would eventually be where they went with The Miz. As far back as his time with John Morrison on ECW, I saw him as the guy that would turn face coming out of the team and make the biggest waves... I was half right.

Bringing him back as a face would be great. Whether he acknowledges why he was away or not, I would still have him return with an angle with Brodus. In a "If you can't beat them, join them" scenario, he could have a short lived tag team run with Clay to put over Miz as a face, and then move him into a singles feud with an established heel, such as Alberto Del Rio or Chris Jericho (should he still be around). WWE could build on this feud and begin to slowly return The Miz to the upper-midcard and possible title contention.

Do you care?
    Yes. Miz has been one of my favourite characters since he dumped the dead-weight of John Morrison after being drafted to Raw, and has always been entertaining. He's lost his way due to terrible booking, but he can get back on top and I look forward to that day.

The Fiend of all Games

Status

Sadly no. I dont anymore. It is because of the fact that hes really gotten lazy with both his in ring work and his mic skills.

Yes, there is a way but at the end of the day it starts with him first. Maybe after hes done with this film that would get him motivated again and maybe WWE will fresh things up by giving him a face turn.

The way I would think of booking him is have him come back as a face for him to feud with a upper mid carder. Someone like Zigger for an example I actually think that would be a good feud if written well. Plus Zigger could help put Miz over wrestling wise just by the way Zigger sells moves.

Do you care?
    Yes, I do care because when he wants to The Miz is AWESOME.

WWE Mod

Status

That's a good point about Ziggler. Nash referred to the fact that he doesn't find Miz's offence buyable, which I totally agree with by the way, but Ziggler can make the moves buyable. It'd be an awesome feud and something new, it just depends on whether Miz is turning.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    de=Germany

I really wonder why some of you want to see a face turn on Miz. Aren't Cena and Sheamus not already enough face failures with half the crowd booing their stinking always-smiling gnome faces?

In my opinion, Miz has found his deserved role now. Getting on people's nerves with annoying and boring promos, and then getting squashed by random midcard faces who get over with the crowd by shutting him up. Works well for me.

And at the current pace, he is fired in 1 year, which would also be fine with me

Status

This came up not too long ago, and I think my thoughts then are just as relevant as they are now. Nothing really I would change, so I'll just restate:

He stopped improving is what happened. He had a few bright spots in 2011 (I really liked his Raw match with Mysterio over summer for the vacant WWE Championship), but other than that he is just so average. His mic work has diminished as he's shown that he really only has one style that he's good at, and he can't just do that every week. WWE is full of some great talent right now, and he is just not on their level. I would take Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, Cena, Orton, Big Show, Henry, Rhodes, and maybe Del Rio over Miz. [Now add in Jericho, and Lesnar and Triple H as part-time acts.] There are a few others that are debatable. He looked great at the end of 2010 when Cena, Orton, Sheamus, Barrett, Jericho and Edge were having painfully average main event programs every week. But 2012 WWE is certainly no 2010 WWE, and Miz didn't keep up with the curve.

To add, I think maybe a character change might help. Right now he's just a little troll, which is really a midcard act anyway. It is what he has always been though so I have no reason to believe that he has the capacity to change it up. I've had a few discussions with people about a potential face turn. I usually say that his weakness is his boring offense, so maybe as a face-in-peril, it would hide that weakness. A lot of others say that his weakness is that he sucks at bumping and selling and nobody gets into it when he's getting beat up, in which case he would make a lousy heel. We can never seem to find what his strengths are, which is a problem for him.

I'm honestly really surprised that there is a sizable group of people who think the Miz is great and actually would like to see him main eventing, which strikes me as weird when you consider who else the WWE has as options right now. He could probably be used in a role to get over midcard faces, or as part of a tag team, maybe the troll beside a legitimate heel threat. Whenever he's left off the show though, I'm unaffected by it.

Go read my TNA BTB.

I am the Outlaw

Status

Quote Originally Posted by D-Pop View Post
    I really wonder why some of you want to see a face turn on Miz. Aren't Cena and Sheamus not already enough face failures with half the crowd booing their stinking always-smiling gnome faces?

In my opinion, Miz has found his deserved role now. Getting on people's nerves with annoying and boring promos, and then getting squashed by random midcard faces who get over with the crowd by shutting him up. Works well for me.

And at the current pace, he is fired in 1 year, which would also be fine with me
    The guy who sells the most merch in the company and is the biggest draw (and gets the loudest reactions) is a failure yes. Oh your brilliant mind.

Haven't really noticed any boos for Sheamus recently either.

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information