Thread: Best/Worst Signing of the 2011/2012 Season

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Best/Worst Signing of the 2011/2012 Season

Since Crocker forgot to put this into the WC awards, I thought we could have a thread to discuss this. There's been some great signings this year: Newcastle have flourished in the transfer market; Man City's new striker was their top scorer and scored the decisive goal in the title race; and Man Utd signed up an old legend to rejuvenate their title charge.

And there's been some stinkers. From 0 goals and 0 assists to the captain that managed to piss off all his fellow players and the fans to the £18million 18-year-old Belgian who was meant to be the next Drogba but has played like the new Ade Akinbiyi.

What are your best and worst signings of the year?

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Best/Worst Signing of the 2011/2012 Season

Best Signings:

Paul Scholes - United wouldn't have reached the same number of points as City without the comeback of the Ginger one. They were crying out for a quality Centre Midfielder, and Scholes fit the bill. Don't think anyone touches him for consistent performances in the 2nd half of the season

Ben Foster - We got the guy on loan, ON LOAN!, we went from having 2 clean sheets last season under the hapless Scott Carson, to 10 clean sheets and an overall improvement between the posts from a guy in the form of his career. We need to sign this guy up in the summer, or we'll be nowhere near top 10 again.

Demba Ba - Goal machine for the first half of the year and those goals helped Newcastle grow in confidence in the early months of the season. Oh and he was on a free

Gylfi Sigurdsson - He was made to be in that Swansea team, he just fits in so comfortably and was exactly what they were missing in the first half of the year. he's a joy to watch, and I hope he comes back in the summer. Again, a brilliant loan deal.

Shay Given - I think Villa go down without him, he was their only stand out performer this year I felt.

Worst Signings:

Roger Johnson - Has to be Johnson. Came in for a big fee and as the clubs highest paid player, was instantly given the captains armband and it all went downhill from there. Without his old pal Scott Dann, he seemed a shadow of his former self and was comically bad in matches, he turned up to training drunk, he's had arguments with his team mates in the middle of relegation battles and was generally the worst player in a terrible side.

All the Liverpool midfielders - Downing, Adam and Henderson all came into the club with over inflated prices, all of them disappointed.

Marton Fulop - Played one game, fucked up for every goal, got released today

Will add more later...

I am the Outlaw

Status

Downing is the worst by some distance. I can't imagine there's many times a winger has been signed for £20m, played most games and finished with zero goals and zero assists. Awful. And to think he's been rewarded with a place in the England squad. How Adam Johnson must wish he didn't play (or sit on the bench, more accurately) for Man City.

Roger Johnson is a good shout though. He was awful on and off the pitch when he was supposed to be the signing that stabilised them as a Premier League side.

He was only there for half of the season but I'm going for Papiss Cisse for the best. Ba and Cabaye both come close though. Newcastle have been amazing recently in the transfer market. Sigurdsson made an impact for sure but I don't think he's quite up there with those and he was only on loan.

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

Status

I'd put Chu-Young Park in there for Arsenal... 6.5m for a player given the #9 shirt and who made 1 first team appearce in the league and who, as far as I can tell, has been healthy most of the season.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Best signing: Jean Beausejour

I'm fairly sure this guy is the best signing of the season. Approximately £3million he signed for Wigan in January. He joined when Wigan were dead last in the table and truly looked like they were on their way down. It was around this time that Wigan shifted their formation from a 4 man defence to a 3 man defence, playing the 3-4-3 formation which has caused almost every team trouble. Beausejour was absolutely fantastic in the left-wing back role and Martinez has said himself that Beausejour was one reason why he felt confident shifting to the formation which ultimately kept them in the league.

Honourable mention to Scholes.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Downing for worst player of the season and it's not even a contest tbh. Even threw a penalty his way and he couldn't break his scoring duck.

Been a few great ones though. Cisse for £8m or whatever was brilliant. Scholes too. Demba Ba on a free was amazing business. Hell I can't think of a bad Newcastle signing aside from maybe Oberton and then even he wasnt that bad when he did play IMO.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I'd put Chu-Young Park in there for Arsenal... 6.5m for a player given the #9 shirt and who made 1 first team appearce in the league and who, as far as I can tell, has been healthy most of the season.
    I'd forgotten all about Park, think that says it all really

Arsenal really needed that last burst of transfer activity just to give the squad a lift, Arteta particularly was the pick of the signings albeit a little pricey.

I am the Outlaw

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'd forgotten all about Park, think that says it all really

Arsenal really needed that last burst of transfer activity just to give the squad a lift, Arteta particularly was the pick of the signings albeit a little pricey.
    Yeah but here's an idea.. how about actually planning in advance and being realistic about the players who are likely going to depart the club? That flurry of activity on deadline day was only necessary because Wenger was too deluded to accept that Cesc and Nasri were leaving and replacements needed to be identified early. Everybody could see it but him. Sure Arsenal had a good season in the end considering how catastrophically it began, but if I was an Arsenal fan I'd be thinking "well how well would we have done if Wenger had sorted out our problems early instead of resorting to panic buys?". They could have maybe challenged for the title if they'd bought well enough.

Out of those signings, Arteta was probably the only one they may have identified anyway, and even he's not a typical Arsenal signing (not a criticism necessarily) as he was 29. The rest were all last minute panic buys as a direct response to their awful start (most notably the 8-2). Things should have been done a long time before the season started...

The EST of WC

Status

Im convinced that if that 8-2 never happened Wenger wouldn't have felt the need to go on that deadline day madness.

Edit

Also Tom I heard that Wenger even told Cesc he could go so it does beg to ask the question why tell a player he can go and have no replacement in mind? Especially when it's your captian
    Last edited by CGS; 05-19-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Theres been so many

Could probably squeeze a good team out of the new guys

Michel Vorm

Steven Caulker - Gary Cahill - Jose Enrique

Gylfi Sigurdsson - Yohann Cabaye - Paul Scholes - Juan Mata

Sergio Aguero

Nikica Jelavic - Papiss Cisse

Mentions : Adebayor, Larsson, Yakubu, Given, Arteta, Ba, Beasejour, Parker, Foster, Pilkington, Santon

As for worst, most have been said

Downing, Henderson, Adam,Nzogbia, R Johnson, Park Chu Young(although not his fault), Gabbidon(I think this season), Lukaku(not his fault either,no game time), Bothroyd, Palacios, Ngog,

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Edit

Also Tom I heard that Wenger even told Cesc he could go so it does beg to ask the question why tell a player he can go and have no replacement in mind? Especially when it's your captian
    You're right, that is hilarious. Even with the Deadline Day shambles, Wenger lead Arsenal to third in the table. Remind me, where did Liverpool finish again?

The EST of WC

Status

8th but I fail to see the relevance.

If your gonna let your Captain go why not at least have an idea of someone? Not to mention with the money from that and Nasri he could have invested in even better players and maybe have a better campaign.
    Last edited by CGS; 05-20-2012 at 06:38 PM.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    8th but I fail to see the relevance.

If your gonna let your Captain go why not at least have an idea of someone? Not to mention with the money from that and Nasri he could have invested in even better players and maybe have a better campaign.
    Sure, he could have done, but we all know by know that's not how Arsenal operate. At least not until the stadium has been paid off. I guess Wenger thought it would be best to strengthen in a number of areas rather than bringing in one or two marquee signings. Even if the mad rush bringing in Santos, Arteta, Mertesacker, Park and Benayoun was questionable to say the least. Let's not forget he had already spent upwards of £30M to buy The Ox and Gervinho (who he saw as Nasri's replacement).

Anyway, this has gone a little off topic. Being a Gooner, the signing of the season has to be Arteta. Worst signing has to be our South Korean friend, Park Chu-Young. The sooner he is called back for military service, the better.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Best

Demba Ba - I'd go for Demba Ba over Papiss, because the guy essentially put the winning feeling into the team. Newcastle could literally have gone one of 2 ways. Losing Nolan Carroll and Enrique and replacing them with untested players in the Preamierleague was such a risky thing to do, and if Demba (and to an extent Cabaye) hadn't have hit the form he did at the start of the season, we could have seriously struggled. And he was free, Papiss still cost 10million. People forget that.

Jose Enrique - In an otherwise bleak season for Liverpool, they have a ray of hope in Jose Enrique. I'd class him below Cole and above Evra in terms of best Left Backs in the league, and they picked him up for less than we originally paid for him. Bargain.

Danny Graham - Danny Graham has been fantastic. A team like Swansea, who keep the ball so well and great at wearing teams out, still need somebody to put the ball in the back of the net, and Danny Graham is that guy. 3.5mill? Yes please.

Anthony Pilkington
    - What a player this kid is. Norwich picked him up for a song last summer, and the guy's shown he can play Premier League football consistently on a regular basis. Scoring goals? Check. Assists? Check. If you're Norwich City, what more do you want in a winger?

James Mclean - Bought from Derry City for 350k, the kid has been Sunderlands best player since O'Neill took over. And now hes's going to the Euro's. What could have been if he'd have started from the beginning of the season?

Special Mention - Scott Parker

Worst

Bryan Ruiz - 10.6 million is a lot of money for a club like Fulham to spend on one player. Yes, he scored a couple of classy goals, but that is not a significant enough return on that price tag. Ruiz has played lazily, ran about half arsed and simply does not look interested in Fulham FC. Time to cut the losses and ship him off before he loses all his resale value.

Charles N'Zogbia - I feel a bit sorry for Villa on this one (first time you'll catch me saying that). They paid a pretty good price for him based on his awesome performances at Newcastle and Wigan, but he just seems to have totally lost confidence. Scared to take on a man compared to his direct effectiveness at the aforementioned clubs. What the hell has happened?

Stewart Downing - Obvious answer is obvious

Connor Wickham - I know I know I know. It's too early to tell, but I thought he at least deserves a mention seeing as he has basically disappeared after a 13 million pound summer move.

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2018 - 20/15/1 - 4th in Regular Season, 2nd Overall

World Champion

Status

I still don't get why Bruce bought a load of players at the beginning of the season, like Wickham and then didn't play them straight away, for our first few games we pretty much played with the same team that was playing the end of last season.

Hopefully Wickham gets a loan move somewhere next season to get some confidence as the lad mustn't have any after not being played and his injuries.

I am the Outlaw

Status

Haha I actually forgot about Ruiz. They didn't even really need him with that much attacking talent already at the club. He's the new Steve Marlet.

Fulham should just stop paying big fees for players.

The EST of WC

Status

Didn't Newcastle try to hijack him while he was on his way to Fulham? Wonder if he ever wishes he had turned around

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Yeah. Depending on who you listen to: we didn't follow through with a serious bid; he rejected us for Fulham.

So we got Ba instead

Thread Information