Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overeem Fails Drug Test

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Re: Overeem Fails Drug Test

Overeem went from being a light heavyweight to borderline super heavyweight-- people were right to be suspicious of him.

oG $wank

Status

MEM finally raises a good point. That's like GSP competing at Light Heavyweight. I'd be asking some questions too.

Believe In Evolution

Status

To be fair he was a scrawny LHW and packed on the muscle over a span of 4 years, that's not unheard of.
    Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing gif

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    To be fair he was a scrawny LHW and packed on the muscle over a span of 4 years, that's not unheard of.
    He was indeed a fairly small LHW. And he was quite young, plus he had one of those "long frames" that tend to fill out as an athlete gets older. So him filling out somewhat is fairly natural. Much like many expect Jon Jones to eventually move to HW as he will put on more muscle through his mid 20s. If Overeem had gone from 205 to a rock solid 240 or so, I don't think the suspicions of PED use would have been as strong. But to go to a rock solid 265... that's a big jump. There were just so many reasons to suspect - the reputation of Golden Glory, how rarely he fought in the US for a long time even after he won the SF HW title, then the whole situation before the Lesnar fight...

Every Ending is a New Beginning.
    Your Lucky Number is None.
    Your Favorite Color is Dead.
    Like Father, Like Son.

Status

There was a rumor like five minutes apparently that Fedor was going to take Overeem's spot, but now they're saying Fedor has a fight against Bobby Lashley apparently.

Believe In Evolution

Status

That was more hopeful speculation, people were hoping that this would be Fedors way into the UFC. Would have been interesting he'd still beat 90% of the UFCs HWs.

Status

I would totally dig seeing him in the UFC, but if we're going to look at Fedor; we might want to consider Dan Henderson for the spot.

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Sounds like Mir's fight with Velasquez is still on. So the title fight is down to Hunt, Fedor, or Hendo. And Hendo seems the most likely.

Like Father, Like Son.

oG $wank

Status

I'm not sold on the Samoan Superman, and I don't think Fedor appearing is likely, so I'm looking at Hendo. I hope JDS retains regardless, but I hope he really puts on a fight with whoever challenges. I hope Mir owns on Velasquez and we get Mir vs. JDS down the road.

Believe In Evolution

Status

Hunt will provide a good fight, his style and chin should just be a stand up battle between the two.

As for Mir vs. Cain even though I dislike Mir and like Cain I'm hoping Mir wins, just sick of guys getting title shots so easily and after being tooled by JDS, Cain should have to win more than one fight to get a rematch.

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I'm not sold on the Samoan Superman, and I don't think Fedor appearing is likely, so I'm looking at Hendo. I hope JDS retains regardless, but I hope he really puts on a fight with whoever challenges. I hope Mir owns on Velasquez and we get Mir vs. JDS down the road.
    I'm not sure how much you're supposed to buy into Hunt, to be honest. He is pretty much what he's always been - a quality striker with big power and a great chin. His grappling has always been suspect and he's proven vulnerable to submissions. Not sure that has changed that much. Two of his three UFC wins have been over good heavyweights. Not elite but solid guys.

As ETE says, he makes an interesting match-up for JDS. If that fight goes to ground, it would probably be the champ taking it there. And the style and power of both guys means you should have them engaging and somebody getting knocked out.

Hendo is another interesting match up. His best chance against Dos Santos would be to grapple, control, and score points with calculated barrages from top control. But Hendo is Hendo so Hendo is gonna Hendo. That means he probably stands up and looks to land a big H-Bomb to end it. If that fight happened and he won, it would kinda throw the whole division for a loop - he's a guy who can fight at MW.

Like Father, Like Son.

Believe In Evolution

Status

Hendo would just try and land that one big H-Bomb which against a more technical and much bigger striker like JDS I can't see working out for him very well.

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Hendo would just try and land that one big H-Bomb which against a more technical and much bigger striker like JDS I can't see working out for him very well.
    Shogun, Fedor, Fejao, Franklin, and Bisping might all disagree with that. I wouldn't bet money on it working for Henderson... but I also wouldn't bet against it. The power is there - he put down Fedor for the first time in his career with one of those shots. Being a more technical and skilled striker hasn't mattered for quite a number of Hendo's victims. Henderson is a odd in that he is able to be very effective in fighting one-dimensionally because his base skillset - wrestling - is so strong.

If that was the title fight they went with, I would expect JDS to retain. But I would not be shocked at all if Henderson won.

Like Father, Like Son.

Believe In Evolution

Status

Yes but that list of 'victims' arent as skilled technically as JDS, he's one of the only guys in MMA that brings some semblance of angles and game plan to his striking while most guys just plant their feet and swing wildly till someone goes down or they gas.

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Yes but that list of 'victims' arent as skilled technically as JDS, he's one of the only guys in MMA that brings some semblance of angles and game plan to his striking while most guys just plant their feet and swing wildly till someone goes down or they gas.
    For some of them, true. But Shogun is pretty technical in his striking. And Feijao is part of Black House along with JDS, so he gets the same Nogueira boxing training as Dos Santos. Bisping is considered to have some of the best kickboxing at the MW division outside of that champion guy.

Being technically sound, having good angles, proper footwork, accuracy, and the ability to game-plan are all big assets. But they still don't make a result certain. Machida was supposed to dominate the Light Heavyweight division because of those assets. On paper, JDS wins this fight. But fights don't happen on paper.

Like Father, Like Son.

Status

Hunt can't get the spot. I would give better odds to Herschel Walker.

I <3 Ashley Roberts

Status

When I heard the news I was dissapointed. But If I am honest tince Reem was pulled out of the fight. I have joined the Mark Hunt rally. I mean he seems to have rededicated himself. He went from a large losing streak to winning three straight. In one of which he attempted an armbar(So his ground games is improved). Personally I would love to see him get the title shot. Basically it would be like a Rocky Story LOL.

Status

Apparently it's official that Mir will replace Overeem, but there is no word on who Cain will fight.

I Am Not Your Daddy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MainEventMoney View Post
    Apparently it's official that Mir will replace Overeem, but there is no word on who Cain will fight.
    Figured that would be their direction. Not interested much in that fight. Doubt I will bother with this PPV now.

Like Father, Like Son.

oG $wank

Status

I'm very interested in Mir vs. Dos Santos. However, I'm a much bigger fan of Mir than most. What I'm most interested in is a ground battle. Seeing Mir on top of JDS and JDS on Mir, just to see how each one of them fair. At the same time, I do love a nice, explosive knockout.

Thread Information