Thread: Alex Riley's potential is being wasted

Chikara Trainee

Status

Alex Riley's potential is being wasted

I've really enjoyed how far Alex Riley has come last year when he broke up with The Miz.

He's got decent size, big but not too big, All-American good looks, he's decent on the mic. His look and in-ring style are a cross of that of John Cena and the Rock, the very two men who main evented Wrestlemania 28. The guy manages to get huge pops from the live crowds. The guy is over, even with minimal TV appearances. And he didn't even have to resort to the methods that we've seen with Zack Ryder and his YouTube show, Ted DiBiase and his tailgate parties, Curt Hawkins/Tyler Reks with their short lived Midcard Mafia cartoon, or Jack Swagger and his Topless Q&A. The guy was crap in the ring and worked really hard to get better.

Yet what do they do? They bring him back to TV just to have him job to Albert.

Don't get me wrong, Albert/A-Train is one of my all time faves, but unfortunately his return was ruined for me by the fact that they picked Alex Riley of all people for him to steamroll over. I understand that Tensai needed to look like a monster, but it should've been anyone but Riley.

It's not even the fact that Riley lost, but that they couldn't make him look a bit more competitive doing so. At least with Brodus Clay, he got to show that he can entertain a crowd. This is a guy who beat a former WWE , and in kayfabe, he had the collective numbers of two former World Heavyweight over and over to the point where they had to form a tag team to beat him. I don't mind Riley jobbing, but he shouldn't be booked like a total chump. He should be losing in valiant efforts, not being tossed around for two minutes. He deserves better than that. When are they going to open their eyes and realize how talented the poor guy is?

Again, I don't have a problem with him being used as a jobber. But I feel that Riley could be best served as the face counterpart of Dolph Ziggler: a guy who almost always loses, but at least looks like a threat.
    Last edited by Jim; 04-03-2012 at 03:59 PM.

WAKE UP

Status

Re: Alex Riley's potential is being wasted

meh. He's still really green and isn't that over any more. Plus there are dosens of guys on the roster who are just better than him and more deserving of TV time. They seemed to have put him on the backburner ever since he sandbagged Swagger. At the moment he's five as a jobber until he significantly improves.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

It's pretty hard to forget him giving Percy Watson the Michinoku Driver, when they were on the same side...

That alone has stopped me taking him seriously forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

Riley didn't have much potential in the first place. Sure, there was his little thing with the Miz - people were all over that. Besides that, nothing. It's like Morrison, except he isn't good in the ring either.

Indy Talent

Status

I never seen any potential from him, he's extremely plain. Really cookie cutter. You can't just throw on a ring jacket, spike your hair and expect that to be your character. There is nothing about him that sticks out.

Merry Christmas

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

I heard his push was stopped because he needed a lot more work in the ring and was putting opponents at risk. Similar story with Mason Ryan hens why they bot disappeared for a while and have been on Superstars/NXT since.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I do think they messed up his push considering he went from being an extremely over face to nothing because he wasn't the flavour of the month for WWE anymore. I think they should have stuck with him a little longer and seen how he can do with an extended feud but he's past that and it's difficult to see him getting back on track without a gimmick overhaul. I'm not terribly sad about it: he was a below average wrestler (although he was involved in one of my favourite matches of 2011) and a decent talker, but that's about it. There's better guys that could do with a push.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Merry Christmas

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Must say his music was awesome.

CM Punk Mark

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

I like alex riley. I think people are underrating his wrestling ability and he has mic skills. He needs a better character or gimmick though and plus he's better as a Heel.

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Riley's great... His general moveset is five times as diverse as a majority of WWE's roster, using a wide array of suplexes and slams we don't see often, plus he's got a phenomenal physique. He's big and brawny, and cut, plus he's got a sweet tattoo on his back. He's generally appealing appearance-wise, and can work a mic. As a brawler and as a grappler he really excels, but if I can bde honest, his psychology is really lacking and his matches aren't really motivated. But that's due in part to having to wrestle mostly short matches, with uninspiring storylines. If you ask me, they really had something when he was feuding with Miz, and he could have gotten by with nothing but brawls for a couple of months at least, while he also developed more story-telling abilities. I think Riley has an unlimited potential, and like Zack Ryder in many ways, just needs a sense of direction and a few good matches on Raw or SD or to showcase his skills, and develop more convincing offense.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Chikara Trainee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by snapjo View Post
    I like alex riley. I think people are underrating his wrestling ability and he has mic skills. He needs a better character or gimmick though and plus he's better as a Heel.
    I disagree with him being better as a heel. I honestly didn't care for him as a heel and just thought of him as, "that guy that hung around with Miz" until he turned on Miz. I wasn't into Riley's Varsity Villain schtick and thought it was too corny. The letter jacket made him look like a boy, not a man. Sure he might be able to cut better promos as a heel, but that's pretty much because heels get more opportunities to work the mic than faces (outside of Cena & Punk).

I think his character is fine as it is. Riley's character is a guy who doesn't talk much, just says "Shut up and fight". He's a suit wearing pretty boy, but shouldn't be taken lightly because he'll rip your head off if you underestimate him. We already have Brodus Clay, Santino, R-Truth & Zack Ryder as our "gimmick" guys, and there needs to be a few who are more down to earth (but can still pop the crowd) to balance it out.

His ring work seems more suited towards being a face. Turning him heel would be a mistake simply because the roster is already so heel heavy as it is. They push so many heels in comparison to faces that this past Wrestlemania's 6 on 6 match was so obviously one-sided. The crowd goes nuts whenever he's on offense, and I think it would be a mistake to turn him heel and reduce his moveset to simple punches, kicks, and rest-holds.

Prob Da Freshest Eva

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Riley's god awful and boring as all hell. He has absolutely no potential in the ring, or on the mic. He couldn't even wipe the ass of a half decent wrestler let alone being in the same ring with anyone. I haven't wished death upon anyone so awful since Batistia, but ffs he really matches it.

#officialpbrprowrestler

Curtain Jerker

Status

What potential? I hate Alex Riley, he never should have gone over the Miz. The only reason he was hot at all was because of the Miz. There is nothing special about him. The Miz gave him his brief push and him sandbagging swagger puts him back into a jobber.

Stud Muffin

Status
      Country                    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RandysHottie View Post
    What potential? I hate Alex Riley, he never should have gone over the Miz. The only reason he was hot at all was because of the Miz. There is nothing special about him. The Miz gave him his brief push and him sandbagging swagger puts him back into a jobber.
    You're finally making some sense. Hope you have arrived now.

I agree totally. He is Johnny Generic and they don't get much more
    blah than A-Ry.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

He's green as grass with nothing about him to make him stand out and the only reason the fans ever cared about him was Miz. If you want an all-american who can actually wrestle-talk-draw then go with Swaggah!

Status

Wow, for everybody trash-talking him, why don't you SAY IT TO HIS FAAAAACE?

Seriously though, he has awesome punches. That's about it. He's fine where he is now until/if he improves.

Go read my TNA BTB.

Cider 'I' Up

Status
      Country                    England

I have to agree he was looking like a big shot after breaking up from The Miz but since then WWE haven't pushed him anymore and him jobbing to Albert or what ever his name is now is a real shame surly there are more people on the roster that can do that would love him to be in the championship picture for IC doubt it any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Cyber bullying just made me 12 bucks. Sweet.

Thread Information