Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Masters 2012 Discussion Thread

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

US Masters 2012 Discussion Thread

First off, I know this is in European sports and is an American golfing event but I'm hoping people from both sides of the water can join in on this! Also not sure if this will really get much interest, but I'm an avid golf fan and I know there's a few other members who at least care a little about big tournaments so what the hell. This is probably one of the three biggest weeks of the golfing year for 2012 and with what's been going on the past few weeks it should be a fantastic event.

The big story is obviously Tiger getting his comeback win a couple of weeks ago, and the possibility of him and Rory slugging it out down the stretch for the green jacket! And though that is what many people want to see, it'd be all to easy to forget some of the other main challengers, such as Westy, Lefty and Luke! I know I for one can't wait!

Taking a look at the 76th Masters, which begins Thursday at Augusta National Golf Club:

- Can Tiger Woods win his fifth green jacket?

It’s been seven years since Woods last won the Masters, beating Chris DiMarco in a playoff. He hasn’t won a major championship since the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines. But with his victory at the Arnold Palmer Invitational a week ago, Woods confirmed his return to prominence. He’s been stuck on 14 major championships for a long time.

- Will Rory McIlroy get redemption?

For three days last April, Rory McIlroy was borderline magnificent at the Masters. Then came Sunday and a final-round 80 that included his playing a shot from beside a cabin on the 10th hole and four-putting the 12th green. Two months later, he vanquished the field at the U.S. Open and now he’s trading the No. 1 spot in the world with Luke Donald. Many believe this is his week.

- Will there be a new major champion?

Donald and Lee Westwood are first and third, respectively, in the world rankings but neither has won a major. Westwood has played in 12 Masters but managed only two top-10 finishes, which might speak to his putting more than anything. Donald has three top-10s in seven Masters appearances including a third-place in 2005. He’s nothing if not steady. And then there’s Steve Stricker. His track record at Augusta isn’t very good – five missed cuts in 11 starts – but if it’s about putting, it’s hard to leave him out of the discussion.

- Beyond the obvious

Once you get past the favorites, who might be able to come in like Charl Schwartzel last year and win the green jacket?

Justin Rose looks ready to win a major. Same for Hunter Mahan. Keegan Bradley keeps hanging around leader boards. And what if Bubba Watson is in the hunt on Sunday afternoon?
    Either way this should be a great week of golf. Who all's going to be watching? Anybody got any feelings on who's going to win? Give us your views!

Don't play the odds, play the man!

HOF Thing Is Fucking BS

Status

Re: US Masters 2012 Discussion Thread

Luke Donald for me.

The course begs for consistency, and New Tiger is not yet there in that regard.

It's Donald's time for his first major.

Oh, PS made the threaD? tl;dr
    REPRESENTING THE ARGENTINA SINCE 16/05/2014THOSE

King Of WrestlingClique 2013
    KOWC 2014 Coming to a forum near you very soon.... I think... Ask Nicky

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Uchiha View Post
    Maybe it's the generation gap I have with people on some forums probably not here, I say this site has a great value of intelligent members in every section of the forum but a little frustrated let me tell you the story. As you know I'm apart of a shit load of forums and one of them seems to be in chaos. You have a Owner who barely is on the site these days, and only made one Global Moderator for the forum. It seems the chaos has gotten so bad members mostly younger members are using racist and gay slurs to their answers in debate. Legit I saw three threads where members put f***** and that's it. Yesterday I rage over these members I basically told them to stop that, it gives no value to what you're saying in a post. No one will take you seriously if you using such words just to say it. Shoot even the sb is a jungle full of chaos with the same situation. I came to the G-Mod and said hey you're in charge of this forum, you let shit go under the rug why did I say that? Well last week a member came into my LD for Impact and spoiled the whole show for most people. I went in the sb for the forum and said hey man this guy is fucking up the experience for people in the sb can you do something. He pretty much knew this member and told me he's done this before so I'm thinking it took me to say something for you to act? Also a month ago I had a problem with a member named Nero where randomly out of no where he puts racist pics of Hispanic doing crimes, eating Tacos etc! I was like one I never talked about this guy the purpose of this. Again this G-Mod knew about his antics as well as Puls3 the Admin. A month before this I told the Admin he was a problem putting down new members left and right. Thank God I screencaped his actions and he hasn't been there since. Okay now back to the Global Mod I took it twitter and told the guy straight up you don't act because you love the slurping of your dick from members. He's doesn't want to mend fences pretty much and besides setting up a league for the forum for WWE 2k14 he does nothing for the forum. Now I want to talk to Puls3 personally because his rules are being broken left and right and his staff in charge is doing nothing by joining in the fun. I have a plan to get two or three other staff members who I think will be fair and firm when needed should I talk to him. I know I'm taking it seriously but I love this forum like I love this forum and I don't want it to be spoiled like Milk you feel me? Also on twitter and on the forum a bunch of little kids came to box with me when I was speaking my mind and I told them grow some hair on your chest before talking to me lol

Spoiler:

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

I dunno, Tiger was fantastic in his last outing.

His driving was amazing, something that is never linked to Tiger, even at his peak. He actually led driving stats which just never happens! People always say Augusta suits a draw though and Tiger's draw hasn't been working quite so well as in the past, he's been relying on a beautifully controlled fade. The other big positive for Tiger though is his clutch putting was back to what we expect from him, and to win a green jacket you need to be putting well. Think he made 64 of 67 putts inside 10 feet or something ridiculously good like that! I certainly can't see him not being at least in contention coming to the close on Sunday.

But yeah, Luuuuukkkeee is always a good call. Mr Consistent and remarkably, despite being world #1, he's barely getting a mention in the lead-up to this. Must be a little disenchanting for him but I think it might actually help him. He won't have the same pressure on him as Rory and Tiger, which allows him to just plot his way round, and like I already said, putting is such a huge thing at Augusta and there aren't many better than Luke! I stuck £20 on him each way btw.

Then we've got my good pal Rory! I can't not back him (£50 on him as outright winner ). It'd be such a great story after the disaster he had last year. It was hard not to feel sorry for him after the outrageous collapse he had in last year's final round in front of the world's eyes. Seeing a young man basically crying on live television wasn't the nicest thing to watch, but as we all know he learnt a lot from it and has came back so much stronger and better. The most important thing is, he's improved his putting a lot and has started to look like he's more used to winning now. He's the most consistent golfer in the world, based off the last 6 months, even more so than Luke. Bring it home for Norn Iron Rors!

Status

My sleeper pick to win this.. K.J. Choi.. watch him

---

*TBA* SMOD

Status

I feel its definitely Donald's time to shine here, but Augusta is a heartbreaking course (see Norman) so anything can really happen. I have a soft spot for Fred Couples, who seemingly is always able to turn back the clock on the first day and sometimes the second. I am still convinced that of the older guys who play The Masters every year, he always has an outside shot of winning. Augusta is a shot maker's course, not one for the bombers, so anyone who has their approach and short game firing on all cylinders has a great chance.

Can't wait though, The Masters is one of my favourite sporting events of the year.

John Carpenter's Escape from L.A. | Opera | The Hunt | Wonderland | Flannel Pajamas | The Mist | Johnny Handsome | Enemy | The Silence of the Lambs | Godzilla (2014) | Sleepers

Ask Fuji | 2014 Movie Log

WC's WWE Fave Five HAS RETURNED! Get involved HERE~!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Grimes
    i tried saying you only got paid 35 cents a month but they wouldnt listen

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWMGRWvYpDM

**** camera man work but basically he skips the ball off the water and holes it in a practice round. Every player generally tries that on the 16th in their practice round for the crowd to enjoy. Kaymer is only the second hole in one I've ever saw, Vijay being the other. His is a much better camera angle so I'll show it here too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLzX62nXPTo

Cannot freaking wait for tomorrow

Oh and also par 3 challenge tonight ftw. Donald won it last year but has decided not to compete this year. The curse of winning is of course that nobody has ever won it has won the green jacket the same year!
    Last edited by PS; 04-04-2012 at 01:40 PM.

*TBA* SMOD

Status

Those were pretty awesome PS, never seen them before so thanks. Can't wait for the Par 3 Challenge, just an hour or so to go!

John Carpenter's Escape from L.A. | Opera | The Hunt | Wonderland | Flannel Pajamas | The Mist | Johnny Handsome | Enemy | The Silence of the Lambs | Godzilla (2014) | Sleepers

Status

You know how many balls I lost in the water trying to imitate them at my local course? alot..

Tomorrow is gonna be awesome! I think Rory will get his redemption this year but if not, I have K.J. Choi as a sleeper pick to win this.

---

DAMMIT~!

Status

Shame that the Par 3 Shootout was canceled after than rain delay. Hopefully the rest of the week/weekend will be nice.

It's so hard to say Tiger's back after one win, but he's still the favorite in my eyes. If it's not Tiger this week, I think it will be Rory's time, especially after last years collapse. Like others have said, Donald is a good choice, and sleeper in my eyes, even though he's the world's number 1. Also wouldn't be surprised if guys like Adam Scott or Hunter Mahan were in the mix on Sunday.

----------------

Indy Talent

Status

Ill be watching McIlroy, Day, and Westwood. I can't back Woods off of just one win and the thought that he has suddenly got his groove back. Will be eagerly watching but they are calling for much the same weather as they had yesterday in the par 3 challenge so I don't see day 1 going the full duration, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidTakerFan View Post
    Here's to hoping this goes Steve or Ed's way. Nash your a poofter and a Donald supporter.

Tiger Woods v 1.0 was great but Tiger 2.0 is SHIT. That is all. Rory for Prez Fowler for Vice Prez and Luke Donald can suck my balls. MTF
    One of these days the clock will stop and time won't mean a thing.
    Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters
    I don't like to hit little bitches with glasses, but when midgets step up, I stomp midget asses

Rising Above...

Status

Love the Masters, I'll probably catch some of it tonight, but the majority of my viewing will be Saturday/Sunday. I'd love Woods to win, but I think it's time Westwood got his name on a major.

Formerly Chuck Norris

Status

Donald is too short, he won't win it. I don't really know who's a good bet, I want Rory but I think someone random will win it.

DAMMIT~!

Status

That meltdown by Stenson on 18 today was hard to watch. Tiger had a solid day going until the final two holes. Donald not off to the best of starts, but most of the favorites are at or neat the top. Good stuff though for the first day so far.

----------------

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Donald came 4th last year Dave, he's always solid. I know he hasn't started well today but hard guy to write off.

From what I saw of Tiger today he was pretty terrible. Pulling so many of his drives straight left when attempting fades. He's lucky he putted quite well.

And yeah Stenson had a nightmare finish, pity for him but could never really see him sticking the heat at the top.

Enjoyable first round so far though. Glad Rory has finally got it going right now!

Formerly Chuck Norris

Status

Steve, golf is something i'm pretty damn knowledgeable on, and Luke won't win it. Augusta requires a certain type of player and he isn't it! Even though he's a top player, you have to be more than steady around here. Saying that, Johnson was a great bet at 100/1, former champ and always plays reasonable around there.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

lol @ what you just said.

I'm "pretty damn knowledgeable" also Dave. I spend a lot of my time on a golf forum with some PGA pro's and numerous low handicap players etc.

First of, I don't think Luke will win as he got off to a poor start. He wasn't my pick to win from the start by any means but I said he'd be a good pick to back each way, still probably is even after his +3. I could easily see him grind his way to a top 10. Like I said, he came 4th last year, so saying his game doesn't suit Augusta is stupid. Yes he isn't long off the tee, and actually isn't even that straight but he has the best short game in the world which is a huge bonus at the Masters.

Secondly, you say Augusta requires a certain type of player and you say Luke isn't it. Then you say Zach Johnson, essentially a poor man's Luke Donald, is a good bet lol. Johnson hits it absolutely nowhere off the tee but is pretty straight and a good putter. I know Zach's going well so far, but Luke would have been a much better pick from the start than Johnson.

Anyway, I hope Westwood ****s up sometime soon. There aren't many guys I hate more in golf! To be fair he's played really nicely so far today and actually seems to have found a good putting stroke from somewhere.

*TBA* SMOD

Status

Lulz, so picking who wins a tournament shows your knowledge of the sport?

I didn't have a chance to see too much of today's round because the Jays decided to play 16 innings in their opener, but at least they won. I'll chime in tomorrow with my thoughts once I've watched the stuff I've recorded.

DAMMIT~!

Status

lol, what you got against Westwood, PS?

----------------

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PS View Post
    Anyway, I hope Westwood ****s up sometime soon. There aren't many guys I hate more in golf! To be fair he's played really nicely so far today and actually seems to have found a good putting stroke from somewhere.
    Yes I'm not to keen on him either PS, but he did give a great effort on day 1 and looked sharp, he was one of the 3 that I was on my watch list. I really hope Rory makes strides today because I'd like to see an Irishmen up there with the front runners, either him or Padraig.

Here's to hoping this goes Steve or Ed's way. Nash your a poofter and a Donald supporter.

Tiger Woods v 1.0 was great but Tiger 2.0 is SHIT. That is all. Rory for Prez Fowler for Vice Prez and Luke Donald can suck my balls. MTF
    One of these days the clock will stop and time won't mean a thing.
    Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters
    I don't like to hit little bitches with glasses, but when midgets step up, I stomp midget asses

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PeepShow View Post
    lol, what you got against Westwood, PS?
    I think it's just the way he acted towards McIlroy after the public split between Chubby and Rory. Westy has always appeared a little jealous of how popular Rory is (don't think it helped when Rory won a major so young!), and this just took it to whole new heights.

He always seems to have an excuse as to why he doesn't win too. It can never just be his fault for not playing well enough!

Thread Information