Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172
Results 7,101 to 7,180 of 7180

Thread: Transfer Talk Thread

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Transfer Talk Thread

Yah...these new owners haven't done much for Chelsea yet have they? Here's where they'll go and spend £200m on players they don't need haha! With Kounde off to Barca instead...Chelsea will still need another CB so not quite sure where they'll go looking now.

As for Man Utd...Ronaldo is probably staying shocking that...still no FDJ so just nip that one in the bud and go and get Neves or Tielemans. Still short in the wide-attacking position too...but Antony is too expensive so maybe just suck it up and use one of Amad, Garnacho or Pellistri as backup to Sancho.
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Status

Don't get me wrong - Sterling and Koulibaly are nice additions. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Koulibaly ends up being one of the best defenders in the league. But they need more bodies back there. Apparently their endless player trading and loaning out 605 young players every season still means they have nothing in the cupboard. And Tuchel was always going to complain because that's what he does. But honestly, Boehly deciding to just do the deals himself is just incredibly arrogant and I will enjoy all the angst from their fans that I can.

United will overpay massively for Antony because that's the United way. Already paid HEAVILY for Martinez, so might as well overpay again and help out ETH's former club some more. JUST DO IT. I can't see Ronald going anywhere because who wants him? I'm sure he's still magical for the marketing department but he brings so many other concerns beyond that and the goals. I feel like him being at United will make ETH's first season so much harder.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

People's Champion

Status

Yeah Ronaldo has no options right now so he may as well stay and do his best. Antony deal is sounding like it's going ahead..but that CM position is still needed sigh. Can see us being stuck with McFred again tbh
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Status

Well if there is any player out there who likes to quietly just work hard, sacrifice for the team, and put his teammate ahead of his own interests, its definitely.... not Ronaldo. As a non-United supporter, I really do hope he stays because... drama and angst.

If you guys do end up landing FDJ, he is either going to be completely broken and shattered as a human being or massively angry and highly motivated individual. Just constant stories now from Barcelona media about him needing to go. Saw La Liga supposedly talked to the Dutch federation about whether Barcelona pressuring him and trying to get out of paying him the deferred wages might be taken to FIFA Pro. Not that Barcelona will be punished, but the dirty dealing this club does on a constant basis is just vomit inducing.

Doesn't really belong here, but... props to Neymar for pulling out the full no-contact jumping dive and screaming rolling around in a friendly in Japan. Bless his little heart for giving those fans in Japan the full Neymar experience.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Ajax have apparently jacked the asking price of Antony up to 100m plus add-ons.

Arsenal are selling Leno to Fulham. Been in the works for awhile. Leno wants to play - and should play. Not gonna claim I'll be comfortable with having Turner in goal if something happens to Ramsdale.

Big signing.... West Ham getting Gianluca Scamacca from Sassuolo from 30m. Slick deal for a player that PSG reportedly really wanted. And to celebrate, West Ham did a great intro video... then deleted it because they spelled Scamacca's name wrong.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Tebas says that Barcelona should probably maybe kinda sort possibly if/then be able to actually register all their new signings. Good news, as they are dropping a chunk of money on Kounde from Sevilla. This fucking club... I've honestly come around to the point where I hope the degree to which they are leveraging their future blows up in their face completely and the club cease to exist. The fans don't deserve that by any means, but the club itself sure fucking does.

Poor Chelsea. Missed out on another defender target. I really hope this makes them desperate soon. Can't wait to see Boehly offer United 150m for Maguire and/or Rio Ferdinand.

And this one is fun... multiple reports that Ronaldo was going to have a meeting with United today, and at least one report that the meeting didn't change anything and Ronaldo is still determined to leave to... someone in the Champions League. None of whom want him. Not that Atletico ever felt likely, but the fan group has asked the club not to sign him, which is hardly a surprise with the history there. Chelsea fans seem resigned to the likelihood that Boehly will get twitchy near the end of the window and pull the trigger, as he wanted to earlier and the club held off because of Tuchel saying no. But kinda get the feeling that Boehly is gonna value the marketing above the manager.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status
      Country                    England

I hear they brought out Sir Alex for these talks with Ronaldo which sort of undermines Ten Hag. A club like United shouldn't be bowing down to any player.

Hammers getting Scamacca is another exciting transfer this summer. Should give them another dimension, felt things went a bit flat there in the second half of the season.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Status

WAT? I so hope that they did actually bring in Ferguson. Because nothing like completely undermining your new managers authority to the entire squad before the season even starts. If that happened, it just goes to show that the executives at at United still don't get certain things and that marketing probably is their primary driver here.

Scamacca could be a brilliant signing. Has the size one wants up top and looks to be Italy's future #9.

So that is now 6 EPL clubs who have spent over 100m this summer now, with Liverpool not far off. One more signing and Forest could be over that line too. Crazy that Newcastle have been "quiet" yet spent over 70m. Southampton are quietly having a nice window, although the young players approach obviously comes with some risk. Not at all loving what Leeds are doing - they seem to be getting decent players but overpaying for potential.

Fun little bit... Chelsea are now thrashing around desperately for players to buy that Barcelona won't beat them out for. Instagram story linking Chelsea to Leicester's Fofana.... Post is liked by the official Barcelona account...
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Internet Favorite

Status

Fergie was at Carrington for a board meeting (as was David Gill), he was not there for the Ronaldo talks. He's been given an 'official' role as part of a think tank set up by Richard Arnold. Gill and Bryan Robson have also been given official roles as part of this think tank.

Don't know how the Ronaldo talks with Ten Hag went but the fact he played yesterday is a good sign. I know reports are saying nothings changed but I think that's more because we've heard nothing to suggest to the contrary. Nobody wants him so he needs to drop it now. There's talk that Sporting Lisbon is the last chance saloon for an exit, but although they are in the Champions League what else do they offer? An inferior league for him to play in. I doubt he'll go there at this point in his career when he can still play in a league like the Premier League.
    If he leaves then we're really stuck up front with no time to get a replacement in. We'll be relying on Martial, Rashford and Garnacho to play through the middle, which is a precarious position to be in given that Martial hasn't been good for a while, Rashford hasn't played as a CF consistently in a long time and Garnacho is a teenager. However, both Martial and Rashford have looked impressive in pre-season as has Garnacho, and I'm all for the latter getting some decent game time this season as he has a ton of potential.

Scamacca is a very good pick up for the Hammers, he could do very well for them and he's definitely considered as Italy's long term #9. I've picked him up in my fantasy draft league so hoping he hits it off!
    Last edited by Tommy Thunder; 08-01-2022 at 09:53 AM.

Status

Ronaldo also left at halftime without club permission. Definitely looks like all is well.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Internet Favorite

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Ronaldo also left at halftime without club permission. Definitely looks like all is well.
    Also not true mate. He was one of several 1st team players given permission to leave the game early, the club have confirmed this. Media jumped on Ronaldo being one and have blown it out of proportion to sell papers, as you would expect.

Status

Permission which the club couldn't or wouldn't confirm to the media when initially asked. Which obviously looks a bit suspect, given who the player is and how everyone reacts.

And HOW DARE YOU accuse the British sporting media of being anything but the utmost professionals who THRIVE on their honesty.

Big rumor of the morning is Marc Cucarella to Chelsea... which means he'll be signing for Barcelona within a few days.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Internet Favorite

Status

Other players also left early though (Diogo Dalot for example) it's just the media have ignored that to focus on the fact that Ronaldo left early, for obvious reasons of course!

I wouldn't dare

It would be hilarious of Barca did go for Cucurella. Fail to get Alonso from Chelsea so go for Cucurella, who Chelsea also want! Though to be fair, if Chelsea get him then Alonso probably will go to Barca.

Internet Favorite

Status

I stand corrected on the Ronaldo situation above. Ten Hag has come out saying he didn't agree to it and that it's unacceptable. So refreshing seeing a manager not bending over backwards to appease one player, no matter who he is.

I think given this and the fact that Ten Hag had already said that Ronaldo is 'way behind' the rest of the squad in terms of fitness, it's highly unlikely he'll be involved at all on the weekend or for the foreseeable future. I'm worried that he's going to be nothing more than an expensive spectator for us this season at this rate.

Status

Think Ten Hag is gonna have to be doing quite a bit of that. I realize the Ronaldo probably doesn't consider anyone or anything beyond his own wants, but if he was setting out to submarine a new manager, he's done a pretty good job of it so far.

Sounds like the United clear out is starting. Not sure why it wasn't underway already but maybe they were waiting on Ten Hag to gain some insight into the players? Seeing Alex Telles, Eric Bailly, Axel Tuanzebe, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Phil Jones, and Brandon Williams are all either unwanted or available. Obviously turnover needs to happen in the squad for multiple reasons, but it reinforces how poor United's recruitment has been over the past 4-6 seasons. The parallels between United and Arsenal continue. Arteta has been having to get rid of players. Its not down to talent, necessarily, but fit and personality and ambition. And that will mean all but giving away players if that's what it comes down to.

United are apparently favorites to sign Benjamin Sesko from RB Salzburg. If reality is Football Manager, amazing signing. Realistically, he is a great prospect but its a big step. Chelsea also linked.

God bless Boehly. He might not get the game but he sure knows how to go after other teams' targets. Being linked with Frenkie de Jong now. They are also in for Fofana, but its gonna take like 80-100m to get him from Leicester.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Tremendous stuff. Cucurella to Chelsea is done! Then Bright releases a club statement saying no its not. Love it. Also came out that Brighton never gave City an actual price for Cucurella , but pointed to what City paid for Walker and Cancelo. Too rich for City, apparently. Fuckers, you set the market....

Chelsea continues to flail about for talent. Latest rumor is a triple shot from Barcelona - de Jong, Aubameygang and Depay. Boehly probably thinks he'd be fucking Barcelona over, but really, those 3 going would help Barca so much in the short-term. Chelsea did sign Carney Chukwuemeka and made him the highest-paid teenager in England. Loan move incoming, I'm sure....
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Comeback King

Status

I feel like it is a weird signing for Chelsea. I'd have Chilwell over for him but I guess Alonso could be off so they need two. Is Cucurella going to be happy on the bench though?

I really haven't kept tabs on transfers this summer so need to have a quick look outside of United. There's also basically a full month still before it closes so a lot could change.
    WWE: The New Vision| Former BTB Overlord | Order's Interviews

BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    SIX BTBOTM AWARDS

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

I know Chilwell has his injury problems, but unless Alonso is moving on too this season I'm not sure that Cucurella to Chelsea is a good move for anyone, other than Brighton making a big profit within 1 year on him.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Status

Literally just saw a headline saying that Alonso is able to leave and is likely to head back to Spain. They just signed Azpilicueta to an extension today due to the interest from Barcelona.

Its kinda insane to think that a club as big, important, and successful as Chelsea are being run - at the footballing level - by someone with zero football experience, not even noted as a serious fan. When this kind of "owner interference" happens at the League One or Two level, its panned and is rarely successful. Yet here we are. By reports, he's getting a LOT of "help" from agents. And that always works out ideally too. That said, its not like the signings so far have been terrible. Far from it - Chukwuemeka is highly promising (though Tuchel doesn't love playing youngsters), Sterling is obviously quality, and Koulibaby is a great defender. The biggest issue with Koulibaby is that given his age, he will have pretty much no residual sell-on value. And now moving from target to target bespeaks to someone just looking to add bodies / talent, not build a squad. That generally speaking does not work. Tuchel is already unhappy - he was blasting his players after the 4-0 friendly loss. Fans, entitled lot that they are, are unhappy over the lack of deals. I get their frustration - I was irate when Raul Sanllehi was making deals that looked more about helping out his agent buddies than building a better Arsenal. Some were fun at the time - like signing Pepe - and retrospectively look dicey at best. Don't think Boehly is doing what Sanllehi was but just... doesn't really know what he's doing.

Lots of time to land a player or two that turns it all around and makes it all look rosey. But with the earlier start and more congested season, more and more clubs will be less willing to sell as the window closes out, so its going to take bigger and bigger outlays.

Interesting move - Kasper Schmeichel has left Leicester for Nice. Pretty sure Leicester still haven't signed anyone. They... might be in some in trouble.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Comeback King

Status

Yep, I think Leicester are facing a midtable season. Weird that they haven't bought anyone. Have managed to keep hold of Maddison and Tielemans for now though.

Chelsea's squad is still strong and I really like Tuchel as a manager so I think they will be top four. Can't see them challenging though.

BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

+
    SIX BTBOTM AWARDS

Status

Every single indication has been that Leicester are very okay losing Tielmans. He only has a year left and I'm not sure either side an interest in extending. So Leicester might actually prefer to sell this window. Maddison, however, they are definitely wanting to keep. But I'm definitely curious why they aren't investing at all. Kinda feels like they aren't willing to back Rogers...

Tuchel is a strong manager for sure, and he might make the difference. But he's also a manager who has a tendency to burn things down when things don't go his way. And he's very demanding with transfers. If Chelsea are just chasing players, rather than players he wants, I am starting to think he might be too happy with that. Some of teh stories linking Chelsea with Ronaldo made it sound like he had take a pretty firm stance with Boehly over the move.

So the summer of Levers continues. Barcelona, skint to the max and loaded up with debt, have managed to spend wildly and kinda stupidly by basically selling off future incomes. They have activated two of those "levels". Laporta was just saying they have a third level but don't want to use it... now they are talking about doing that an a fourth level. Honestly, its an incredibly display of questionable financial management to cover up from outright fraudulent financial mismanagement. What a club.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

You do have to wonder how long they'll actually be able to hold onto Maddison now. They really seem to be regressing as a club and don't seem to have that same level of determination as they did a few years back. Shame really, but you gotta imagine Maddison himself has to be looking around and wondering what's next. Youri is pretty much done and has beeen since last season. Dude must have a year left on his contract now, so Leicester may as well cash in on him now before he walks on a free next year.

If Roman was still in charge, I would have given Tuchel till January before he walks out. I defo reckon he'll be given more freedom in time. The new owners are just trying to carry on the Chelsea way of old.

Comeback King

Status

You also have to remember Vardy isn't going to be around forever and is probably going to regress over the next few seasons. You do think midtable is their ceiling with the squad they have.

Wondering about Brighton with the lack of signings and the sales. Think they nailed their potential last year but could be dragged into a relegation battle if they don't start well.

BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

+
    SIX BTBOTM AWARDS

Status

United going in for a 2nd bid for Arnautovic. That 33 year old striker is going to solve everything!

RB Leipzig are signing Werner from Chelsea on a permanent deal. And apparently lining up Benjamin Sesko from their "totally not related" child club RB Salzburg for next summer. Interesting as Sesko was a name being pushed around for a possible Chelsea target. So instead of replacing Lukaku, Chelsea are actually getting lighter up top. Makes sense.

Mandatory Barcelona update... They are now looking at having to pull the fourth "level" to have money so they can register their summer signings. And even that is unlikely to be enough unless several players take pay reductions.

Don't know if its been verified, but also saw a story that they had informed Frenkie de Jong that they were initializing an investigation that the contract extension and wage increase he was given about a year after he signed with the intent to refer to authorities on suspicion of corruption by the previous club regime. Which, don't get me wrong, was absolutely corrupt. But not sure how giving a young player a new contract constitutes that. Just another "level" to try to force Frenkie out of the club and avoiding paying the 17-19m they owe him in deferred wages. Fucking piece of shit club, really.

Something seems kinda wonky at Leicester, with no signings. I kinda take it to mean they aren't wanting to throw support behind Rogers.

As for Brighton, I think they are relying on younger players to replace the talent gone. Moise Caicedo in the midfield looks like an absolute dynamo.
    Last edited by Big Papa; 08-08-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

The Athletic podcast is talking about the Leicester situation today. The only club in a big league in Europe that hasn't signed a player yet. But apparently its not money. its squad size. They had players they couldn't register last season and don't want to make that worse, so they need players to leave. But the players likely to leave are mostly ones they prefer to keep, like Fofana.

Sadly, United have dropped their Arnautovic interest. So sad. Bologna wanted too much and United were worried about fan backlash. That latter part is pretty telling... Its not about finding the right player and being stern in that conviction. Its just about finding players that they can sign easily. That is apparently literally why they signed Alex Telles - the agent said the deal could be done easily. Probably exactly why they are targeting Rabiot, who Juventus want rid of almost as much as they wanted rid of Ramsey. This is play who PSG found to be too disruptive in their locker room.... Also saw that United were offered Moises Caicedo when he was still in South America and they were like "nah". The more I read about it, the more than United's recruitment model as a whole just seems fucking broken.

And to follow up on the de Jong story about Barcelona, they sent a letter to the player saying he needed to rescind his newest contract and go back to the terms of the deal prior or they would look to have him and his agent charged with the fraud charges they are pursing for the previous board. This at the same time as the chairman is telling the public how much they want de Jong to stay. Ter Stegen, Pique, and Busquets have also been told similar.

But Barcelona have the money to pursue Bernardo Silva.

Chelsea might be serious about going after Abamayeng. Not entirely sure how I feel about that.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Comeback King

Status

Thank goodness we have dropped our interest in Arnautovic. What a shambles

BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

+
    SIX BTBOTM AWARDS

Status

Man, the list of players that United could have / would have / almost signed as almost as bad as Wenger's list. Just saw a list today of players that Reangnick was trying to get them to sign... Julian Alvarez before he joined City, Christopher Nkunku before he signed a new deal and became a 100m player for Leipzig, Konrad Laimer, and Joski Gvardiol. I mean, three recommendations from his former club are hardly earth-shattering, but Nkunku, Laimer, and Gvardiol are all targets for the biggest of clubs in Europe.

There is just something fundamentally messed up within the united recruitment model, and there has been for years. And this summer makes it clear nothing has been improved. Erik Ten Hag will become Erik Ten Months or Less if the results don't improve and he's not getting anything in place to ensure success. And rotating in another talented manager who doesn't get personnel support is just going to rinse and repeat.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So this is a fun twist... Barcelona's season opens on the weekend, and they still can't register any of their new signings, nor contract renewals for Roberto and Dembele. If Andreas Christiansen and Franck Kessie can't be registered, they will be free to leave due to being free signings. Players can be registered right up to the end of the month, so it seems unlikely they would do so, but still.... fucked up.

More stories about Tuchel wanting Aubameyang at Chelsea. No offer to Barcelona yet. Some incredible timing on this as the All or Nothing episode covering his removal as Arsenals' captain releases later this week and is getting plenty of talk. Haven't seen it yet (or the series, to be fair), but lots of reports about the detail the show goes into. Arteta keeping "detailed notes" about everything with Auba, facing down pressure from club figures to bring the player back in, all of that. Apparently the show goes quite into it as doesn't gloss over the whole situation like some figured it might. Auba has done well enough at Barcelona so far, so I don't know they are looking to move him on, but have to think they are desperate enough for cash to consider it. And Chelsea signing him at the same time as the episode detailing why he had to go from Arsenal... delicious.

The idea of him moving to Chelsea doesn't evoke much from me. He was a favorite of mine while he was here, and our best player for a time. But his performance dropped off hard after his new contract and he never should have been put into the leadership role that he was, creating an unsustainable situation. Arteta won and I don't think he was necessarily WRONG with it. Moving him on seems like it was the right call, and while I'm sure he would come into Chelsea motivated, I'm not sure he would be any kind of long-term fit or solution there either.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Internet Favorite

Status

I've no idea what United are playing at. We've gone from a promising start to a transfer window, signing great upgrades like Eriksen and Martinez, to being unable to get our #1 target over the line and scrambling to sign players that have no place being linked to us.
    Tyrell Malacia by the way looked well out of his depth vs Brighton.

Arnautovic? 10 years ago perhaps might have been an ok signing but signing him with the expectation that he's, what, going to lead our attack? Play out wide? It's a joke. I can't for one second believe that he's a target that Ten Hag has told the club to get, so why are we suddenly targeting players who don't fit into the managers blueprint?

Rabiot? Decent player, probably an upgrade on what we currently have (Fred and McTominay). But honestly, I expected Ten Hag to promote youth from within. Players like Charlie Savage, Hannibal, Zidane Iqbal and James Garner have proven that they're both hungry and, in my opinion, ready to step up into the first team. Give them a chance for goodness sake. They can't do any worse than what our midfielders did last season or even last week. Even moving Martinez into midfield is a great idea at this point. Why didn't we try and go for Sergi Roberto from Barca? He was available for free before signing his fraud new contract. He may yet be available for free of the contract is voided. He's a great player and is the type of player we need.

Javier Hernandez has come out and said he'd play for United for free of we came calling. At least that guy has heart and it take him over Arnautovic or whatever other crazy target we go for. Apparently Morata's agent has offered him to us. Not sure he's the type of striker we need but he's edging towards being a striker who is overrated/not fulfilling his potential for me.
    I don't know who we're likely to sign before the window close, if anyone. Honestly, it scares me.

Status

They HAVE TO sign more players, right? If they add no on else, that has to be considered a terrible window...? I mean, even if all 3 turn out to be good signings... three additions to a squad that is generally regarded as needing a rebuild is poor, no? I'm sure there are already questions being asked of Macias and Martinez but its been one game. A bit quick to judge. That said, Carragher had a good point on a post-match bit I saw when commented that while these two and other Dutch players that the club is linked to could turn out to be good additions, the Eredivisie isn't the most reliable shopping ground for Premier League clubs. Which is fair - there is obviously great talent there and some make the step up, but as much or moreso than most leagues, some just can't.

Signings of veteran players like Arnautovic has its value if done right. Bringing in highly professional, experienced players to help out with a younger squad can be smart squad building. But Arnautovic has never and will never be described as highly professional. I think it was Mourinho that described him as basically being a child. Sad that he's not able to bring that to the Old Trafford locker room.

I'm conflicted on Rabiot. Part of me hates seeing rival clubs adding talented players. But part of me wants to see the train wreck it would almost certainly be. He can be anywhere from mediocre to very good on the pitch, but there are reasons that Juventus are eager to bid of him. He and his mom / agent are one of the most disruptive pairings in football. The story of why his mother is the way she is is kind heart-warming and sad, but that doesn't change that she is incredibly over-defensive of him, feuding with the families of multiple teammates, commenting to the media, etc. And a report today is that she has already put the brakes on a deal by demanding he get a significant raise. And I'm pretty sure that since he was a patented Juventus freebie signing, he's already on some pretty high wages. Would be wonderfully cyclical if the deal did happen - United giving Pogback back to Juventus on a free then paying them to take the player they want rid of because of Pogba.

I'm not sure about Sergio Roberto but it was reported yesterday that the freebies Barcelona are adding will be able to sign elsewhere for free if they can't be registered by this weekend's opening fixture. Franck Kessie isn't quite the defensive mid that United need most desperately but he's quality and dynamic.

Some recent links with Leroy Sane from Bayern to United. Don't see that deal happening, but given their attacking depth and his inconsistency, plus the high wages, I'm not sure Bayern would be again it if a good offer came in. Would Sane be worth 60m plus big wages? Probably not. He's not really first choice at Bayern anymore. He can be brilliant and game-changing, but he can equally be anonymous.

Still heavy links of Tielmans to Arsenal, but Leicester have apparently dropped the asking price. If Edu gets him for 10-20m less than the "original price" just by waiting...
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So heard about anything part of the Barcelona issues today that I hadn't seen clearly explained prior, and it seems to be part of why the club are having further issues and pulling more "levers". The first lever was selling their future TV incomes for a bit over 500m. Barcelona expected that to give them incomes of 660m, but La Liga only registered it as that 500m. Why? Well, the hedge fund and Barcelona formed a company that the rights were sold to and apparently Barca put in 150m of their own money. So basically they were trying to take 150m and wash it through this company and have it count as new money. La Liga wasn't having it and wouldn't count the 150m. And this did create a 30m tax obligation for Barcelona, so not only is the planned income 150m less, but they owe another 30m.

And Tommy, forgot to mention about Morata. Best description I've seen of him is that he's a player that clubs constantly move around to wash money for accounting purposes. Quick count is that the guy has generated around 175m in fees through his career, which is pretty incredible for a guy who is likely to score a goal every third match and average about 10 goals per season.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Internet Favorite

Status

Barca apparently have raised the cash required to register Lewa, Christiansen, Kounde, Kessie, Dembele and Roberto now through an apparent £85m raised from 'savings'. It's criminal that UEFA are letting them get away with this. Barca is my Spanish team to support, I've collected their memorabilia since the first time I went to Spain as a kid many years ago, but it's disgusting what's happening at that club these days. They're apparently pushing ahead and confident of signing Marcos Alonso and Bernardo Silva too. Mad.

Yeah Morata's been shipped around so much through his career as a tool, it's probably part of the reason he hasn't fulfilled his potential. I was disappointed that Unites didn't sign him when Chelsea did but on the other hand, given how that worked out it was probably for the best (though we got Lukaku instead and we see how that turned out).

Apparently our deal for Rabiot is now stalling due to the wages his mum is trying to negotiate for him. I won't be too disappointed if we don't sign him in some ways given the baggage he brings, but I can't bear the though if another season of McFred as our midfield pairing.

Status

Barcelona have a shady-as-shit club for a long time. They just hid it better and the media never highlighted it. The Catalan identity, the pretty football, respect for the club's history, La Maisia, "More Than a Club".... I think almost all fans had a bit of love for Barcelona. At the very least a strong respect. But realistically, they did a lot of the same dicey shit that Real Madrid are notorious for. Using club-friendly media for various purposes, using that media and players to pressure players to pick their club so that a selling club had reduced leverage when it came to selling. They did it to Arsenal with Fabregas and, although it wasn't quite as dragged out, I think they did it with Pique and United. Something started to change around the time they landed Neymar - they did the kind of dirty shit that lots of clubs simply won't in order to get that deal done. And then losing him to PSG caused a massive shift in mentality. They bought players for prestige and name value rather than their footballing ability fitting into any sort of a tactical plan. Some of those recent title teams were pretty poor, but Messi carried them to such a degree... 2 years ago, Barcelona were paying out the highest wages of any franchise in sports. Messi's massive deal was part of that but de Jong is getting like 450K per week and Pique was probably higher. Its easy to pin these money problems on COVID, but realistically, Barcelona were combining massively high wages with unsustainable spending long before COVID. The wages were maybe sustainable, but combine that with those huge buys of players like Dembele and Griezmann and its a giant mess. And they whiffed hard on those buys. Almost all of their buys over the past 5 years have been misses. And some exceptionally expensive ones - they had to borrow money to complete the Griezmann deal. Then they basically gave him back to Atletico for a portion of what they paid, meaning they were still paying off the debt accrued to get him.

The "levers" are just a nice way of saying they are leveraging their long-term financial future to generate income now. Just like going to a payday loan place and paying a hefty fee and interest rate, but on a larger scale. Those investing in these pieces of Barcelona aren't stupid - they are expecting a return on investment. The TV incomes could grow substantially in the next 20 years and the club will benefit less from that than other clubs. This was not the only way to do things. Using the levers and going after a bunch of players was about protecting the brand of the club. They could have instead addressed the debts, sold the valuable players, focused on their vaunted youth academy, etc. But the brand needs to be kept shiny. This is all being done under the hope / belief the Super League will still happen, as that's almost the only way that this model can work and not just sink Barcelona in 5-6 years.

Apparently teh agents for Frenkie de Jong and Martin Braithwaite went to Barcelona and then wouldn't meet with club officials because of how the club has made accusations thru the media over the contracts. Fucking hell....

As for United, just saw a headline that the club have told Ten Hag that he needs to reduce expectations for the season. Which might mean you lot won't be signing more players.

Rabiot has to be on a hefty wage at Juventus and he probably wants a raise. Kinda hope it does happen. I wonder if his mom will try to fight United supporters who are critical of Rabiot in the stands, or she will still just focus on fighting the families of his teammates?

Also being linked with Mauro Icardi. Have to fight it out with Galatasay for him, though. Honestly, probably just a media story from his agent / wife. But honestly, signing him and Rabiot could be tremendous for the content. Mauro and Wanda are basically a soap opera unto themselves.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Internet Favorite

Status

Icardi is a great player, really good striker who would probably be a good fit for our team. But, I wouldn't want to touch the circus that comes with his wife with a barge pole. One of the most toxic combos in football.

Pulisic on loan from Chelsea is the latest one for us. I'd take him, I rate him highly and think he's a fantastic player. Can play anywhere accross the front, strong, powerful, fast can score goals and he's still young. If Chelsea don't want him then I'd happily have him at United. If we can get him on loan with option to buy that would be even better.

Why don't we just give Wolves the £45m they want for Ruben Neves and be done with it? Save us this trouble of messing around with Barca for de Jong o'r Rabiot over his wages (which apparently has definitely put an end to that deal). Neves has been available all summer, Barca clearly aren't going for him (which is where the player wants to go) so just do it already. He can play on his own in the midfield role with Eriksen and Fernandes further ahead.

Comeback King

Status

Casemiro and Pulisic would be great additions for us. Thank god the Rabiot thing is over. De Jong would be the icing on the cake but it won’t happen until late on. We shall see but a lot still to be done.

BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

+
    SIX BTBOTM AWARDS

Internet Favorite

Status

Oh yes, saw the Casemiro reports too. I think that's pie in the sky if I'm honest. 1) why would Madrid let one of their best midfielders go? 2) there's no way he would come to us IMO as we're nowhere near the top of the league and we aren't in the Champions League.
    If that deal happens that that would be amazing as he's the perfect type of player we need at the base of our midfield, but I will also be amazed if it happens.

Also seeing that we've had a 130m euro vid rejected for João Felix. Again; why are we going after these unrealistic targets? There's no way Atlético let him go and I just can't see the player wanting to come to us either.

Seeing that were targeting Yann Sommer as backup keeper to de Gea. He's good and would be as good as Sergio Romero in terms of a #2 keeper. Someone you'd be comfortable having in-between the sticks of de Gea was injured.

Also seeing that were after Thomas Meunier. He's a good RB. Better than AWB and Dalot.
    Last edited by Tommy Thunder; 08-17-2022 at 01:21 PM.

Status

Starting to be a litany of "no / not interested" responses to United's reported interest. Much of it could be bullshit, but if I was a United supporter, than might worry me a bit. Just goign to be harder if United start to be an unappealing option to players because of the mess the club is in. Rabiot is not really but kinda sort is a "no" from the player as he was interested in moving only for massive wages. But links with the likes of Matheus Cunha, Aubamayeng, Joao Felix, Vardy... Lots of them are player isn't interested or isn't going to prioritize United over other options. Casemiro is mixed so far and just saw a headline that Chelsea have registered an interest in him. Guess that's to be expected. Apparently they offered 130m for Felix and were told his release clause is 350m.

I'm not at all convinced about a move for Pulisic. He's clearly talented but also clearly inconsistent. Which is why he isn't going to get regular minutes under Tuchel this season. He could turn out to be a smart buy who just needs regular starts to become the player Chelsea thought they paid 70m for... but he could just as easily stay that same inconsistent player. Maybe a loan is smarter than a buy...

Casemiro could be a brilliant signing. But Varane was supposed to be the solution a year ago and look how that is turning out.... Latest I saw is that Madrid don't want to lose him but will allow him if he wants, and United have offered a "dizzying" wage.

Both Chelsea and United look like clubs thrashing about looking for talent. Any talent. Just... bodies. That might work out with a player like Casemiro... but its fundamentally not really any different to the lack of focused approach that got United into this situation in the first place.
    Last edited by Big Papa; 08-17-2022 at 02:22 PM.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Comeback King

Status

I don't think Varane has done anything wrong and I'm still convinced he's one of the best centre-backs in the world. Needs a run of games that's all.

BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

+
    SIX BTBOTM AWARDS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    I don't think Varane has done anything wrong and I'm still convinced he's one of the best centre-backs in the world. Needs a run of games that's all.
    He hasn't done anything wrong per se. But he has hardly provided value for money thus far either. Last season is hard to assess as he was injured for so much of it. I don't think he was poor but he wasn't dominant either. United got him for a cut-rate price (30-40m) but are paying him a top level salary (350K per week, roughly), and the assumption from both media and fans seemed to buy that you were getting a top level defender who would be transformative to the defense... and he hasn't been. Reasons, obviously, but he hasn't been what was expected. And its not a great sign when the new manager wants to drop 70m on a defender with some obvious deficiencies to replace the player. So I didn't mean that Varane has been awful or anything. But he hasn't brought what was expected. And if dropping 40-50m on Casemiro and paying him 450K per week gets the same contribution as Varane has had thus far, I can't imagine that is going to be transformative for the United midfield either.

I appreciate the thrashing about. Story I keep seeing is that United are targeting 5 players before the end of the window. Its like our 2011! Apparently there have been links with 19 players in the past day.

The links with Thomas Meunier REALLY make me question United's recruitment even more than I already do. Dude is 30, decent for Belgium, and pretty much a liability for Dortmund. He was a bit better last season but his first season in Dortmund, he was regularly the worst player on the pitch. I realize there are multiple factors in a players performance, but adding Meunier is more likely to be adding additional problems than solutions.

Nottingham Forest dropping 44m for Morgan Gibbs-White. Fucking hell are they spending huge.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Nottingham Forest spending £44.5m on Morgan Gibbs’s White is one big middle finger up to FFP. Ludicrous stuff.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Nottingham Forest spending £44.5m on Morgan Gibbs’s White is one big middle finger up to FFP. Ludicrous stuff.
    2nd highest spend so far this summer behind only Chelsea.

That said, I saw some reports tha