Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4080888990
Results 1,781 to 1,794 of 1794

Thread: Currently Watching - Redux

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Currently Watching - Redux

I'm not sure how they're going to top this week's episode of Better Call Saul, but I'm definitely game to see them try over the next 4 weeks. In a show with standout episodes like Chicanery, Bagman, Bad Choice Road and even the last two, I think Fun and Games is probably the best one yet. Everything about it worked perfectly, and Baldwin is right that it really could have been the finale if not for the Gene stuff that needs to be tied up. A couple of spoilery thoughts...

Spoiler:

Gus has always been my favourite character in the BB universe (along with Saul and Mike, surprising that I like this show so much) and I LOVED his scenes here. Arguably Giancarlo's best performance, which is saying a lot given how many times he's nailed it in this show. It was also nice to see his former co-cast member on Homicide: Life on the Street, Reed Diamond, pop up as his potential love interest.

Don Eladio basically making fun of Hector even though he was right about everything was hilarious and a great send off for his character as well.

Mike's scene with Papa Varga was heartbreaking in the best way, and really drove home the fact that, despite all of his posturing and moralizing, Mike is no better than any of the people he associates with, and now he knows it too.

However, this was Kim's episode, and her scenes with both Howard's wife and Jimmy were Rhea's best performance in the role. The way she gaslit Howard's wife multiple times in the space of about 3 minutes was so cold that even Jimmy looked surprised. Plus, her two lines, "I love you...but so what?" and "I was having too much fun" were both incredibly powerful. I know she was nominated for an Emmy for the first half of the season, but this performance should snag her one for next year as well.

I also thought it was pretty brilliant that Saul woke up as that scene ended, almost like he was back to being Jimmy and dreaming it right before waking up to the reality that is Saul Goodman. Amazing.

It's doubtful that BCS is going to top Mr. Robot for me as the best show I've seen in the last several years, but it's pretty damn close.

​​​

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

The latest BCS episode has turned out to be quite divisive among the hardcore fans. Personally, I thought it was excellent.

Spoiler:

The entire thing felt like a return to the roots of what made BCS great at the beginning. Jimmy running a scam, albeit reluctantly at first. Make no mistake, though this was a Gene episode, it was Jimmy doing all the work there. I thought it was a really bold choice to give people what they'd been clamoring for but still managing to subvert their expectations. Plus, it's always nice to see the great Carol Burnett doing any kind of work these days. I think her and her son definitely still have a part to play. I'm also more than a little concerned that the hefty security guard guy is going to die, as just another bit of collateral damage to Jimmy's scams.

Also, the episode title for next week has finally been released and it's...Breaking Bad.

​​​

Spoiler:

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

Breaking Bad, you say? I can't imagine how that could possible connect....

EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Breaking Bad, you say? I can't imagine how that could possible connect....

Right? Like, what does it even mean?

Kidding aside, I feel like Vince Gilligan was always going to do this after taking this show's name from a BB episode.

Also, I fully expect Gilligan and Gould to troll the audience once again and not feature Walt and Jessie in this one.

​​​

Spoiler:

Worked. Everyone.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I loved it, I felt sick come the end after watching so many cinnabons being eaten but the episode was a hoot for me. The hate on it I don't think is warranted at all. Was nice to see some of Jimmy working the scam and the monologue of him having nothing was a great stall but also hit very close to Gene after what happened with him & Kim and his transition into Saul. I have a feeling Marion knows exactly who Saul is and it'll be explored the next episode.

To anyone who hasn't seen BCS, please do.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    I loved it, I felt sick come the end after watching so many cinnabons being eaten but the episode was a hoot for me. The hate on it I don't think is warranted at all. Was nice to see some of Jimmy working the scam and the monologue of him having nothing was a great stall but also hit very close to Gene after what happened with him & Kim and his transition into Saul. I have a feeling Marion knows exactly who Saul is and it'll be explored the next episode.

To anyone who hasn't seen BCS, please do.
    “We want an entire Gene episode”.

“No, not like that”.

Is pretty much the way I can sum up those folks.

​​​

Spoiler:

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Giving Halo a go

Spoiler:

so how badly did people lose their minds when Master Chief unmasked in episode 1?

FWIW I don't mind it. They're not following the story of the game, so fuck it make that move early and get the backlash out the way

Liking it so far though. Apparently I need to avoid episode 7 like the plague, which sorta makes me want to watch it more.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

Worked. Everyone.

Status

Slippin Jimmy coming back out in full force this week. It seems like Gene is going to get caught and I wouldn't be surprised if Marion finds it out on YouTube.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

In a show with so many great episodes, I think this week's may be my favourite. The seamless re-introduction of Walter and Jesse, the Mike appearance, the mirroring of Saul and Gene, the excellent cinematography...everything was just perfect. I can't wait to hear the other end of that phone conversation as well, which I expect may be next week's cold open.

Two more episodes to go and I still don't have a clue how this is all going to end. Love it!

​​​

Spoiler:

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I take it back. Waterworks is now the best episode of Better Call Saul, and my favourite. I know it's just recency bias (at least I think it is) but man was that a hell of a lot packed in to an hour of television.

Spoiler:

- Kim's horrible "life" in Florida is worse than an actual death for her character. Not able to use her intelligence (minus the puzzle), dating a complete moron and unable to make any decisions for herself. The confession scene with Howard's wife and her subsequent breakdown on the bus was powerful stuff and should be on her Emmy sizzle reel.

- The Kim and Saul scene was also tragic, as "have a nice life, Kim" just felt like a total punch to the gut. Even knowing that Jimmy is using Saul as a way to hide his grief over losing her doesn't stop it from stinging. Then Kim's conversation with Jesse, in what will be his final appearance in the show (and possibly hers as well) was also brilliant writing and a fascinating juxtaposition of one person at the end of their darkness and one just about to embark on theirs.

- Then we've got the Gene stuff, where twice I was getting nervous about him resorting to murder only to end up laughing at the absurdity of his situation. The Carol Burnett stuff was incredibly well acted, particularly the "I trusted you" line. Ugh. So depressing. It was also great to see a moment of clarity literally wash over Gene's face as he realized how far gone he was.

- There were also several shots that reminded me of 50's gangster movies, including Gene menacing Marion and Jeff falling out of the cab and looking up at the cops. Speaking of that, Jeff's scenes were hilarious here, and provided a lot of levity in a really heartbreaking episode.

Just incredible stuff. I can't believe it's all going to end next Monday.

​​​

Spoiler:

Fantasy Booking Football

Status
      Country                    Europe

I was slightly iffy on some of the earlier episodes in the first half of the season - may be down to the long gap between seasons - but the second half of it has been tremendously enjoyable. Almost wish we’d been able to get a full season out of the post-Saul timeline. As for this episode, I think you put it best Fuji with heartbreaking. Jimmys façade during the signing of papers with Kim and their conversation on the phone was infuriating (in a good way) to watch.

“Ask Jeeves” creased me, I must say.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WB View Post
    “Ask Jeeves” creased me, I must say.
    One can truly say "the butler did it".

​​​

Spoiler:

Worked. Everyone.

Status

How can a show make you love one guy in Jimmy, think the other is kinda a sleazeball but is alright in Saul and fucking loathe the other in Gene when they're all the same fucking guy?! I am incredibly sad this ends next week, I don't know what I want to happen to Gene, I think it has to be an 'unhappy' ending where he goes to jail but knowing BCS writers who the hell knows. I could actually cry that this ends next week.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    How can a show make you love one guy in Jimmy, think the other is kinda a sleazeball but is alright in Saul and fucking loathe the other in Gene when they're all the same fucking guy?! I am incredibly sad this ends next week, I don't know what I want to happen to Gene, I think it has to be an 'unhappy' ending where he goes to jail but knowing BCS writers who the hell knows. I could actually cry that this ends next week.
    I hear that, man. It's not even the end of this show, but for this whole incredible universe to be put to bed next week is heart-breaking to me. I was graduating high school the year Breaking Bad premiered! This has been such an amazing 14 year, 11 season, and one movie ride that I am definitely shedding some tears when it all come to an end next week. It cannot be overstated what an incredible thing Gilligan, Gould, and their teams have put together here. An absolute masterclass of consistency in television.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    Queen of Dunks, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4080888990

Thread Information