Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 397987888990 LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 1794

Thread: Currently Watching - Redux

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Re: Currently Watching - Redux

Just got through 8 seasons of Scrubs for the first time ever. Loved it. Planning on moving onto season 9 shortly even if a lot of people have told me not to bother.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Binged Season 3 of Derry Girls over the weekend and thought it ended the series strongly. Uncle Colm Vs Liam Neeson was a highlight.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Worked. Everyone.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Oh my fucking god at that mid-season finale of Better Call Saul.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Currently Watching - Redux

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    Oh my fucking god at that mid-season finale of Better Call Saul.
    I knew something wild was going to go down but yeah, holy balls. The six week wait is going to suck.

EDIT: Also, I hate mid season finales.

​​​

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Worked. Everyone.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I knew something wild was going to go down but yeah, holy balls. The six week wait is going to suck.

EDIT: Also, I hate mid season finales.
    The red herrings, the line about the can and twisting it to stop the explosion being a direct reference to the end, fuck me that was a fantastic episode, the writing has been so so good. I was more shocked and saddened at the ending to that episode than anything from Breaking Bad.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

The red herrings, the line about the can and twisting it to stop the explosion being a direct reference to the end, fuck me that was a fantastic episode, the writing has been so so good. I was more shocked and saddened at the ending to that episode than anything from Breaking Bad.
    Spoiler:

What sucks the most about it is that Howard was right. He would have bounced back and still stood to make somewhere north of a million bucks from the Sandpiper settlement. The ending also served the purpose of showing just why Jimmy/Saul is so scared of Lalo in Breaking Bad. I mean, he was scared of him before of course, but this just took his fear to a whole new level. The look of horror on his face when Lalo entered the room was some top notch acting from Bob.

​​​

Spoiler:

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

Status

Anyone been keeping up with Better Call Saul? Show doesn't get nearly enough praise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Best show on television now that Mr. Robot has finished its run.

A lot of people are complaining about this season moving slower than the others, but I love a good slow burn and I’ve enjoyed them taking more time with some of the characters like Cliff Main. The acting, as per usual, is off the charts and Lalo is a ridiculously amazing villain.

My only complaint is that we’re going to have to wait more than a month for a new episode after next week’s mid season cliffhanger. I expect some crazy shit to go down.
    Holy.

Actual.

What the fuck.

Just caught the midseason finale. No words. Wow.
    R.I.P. "Rockstar" Randy Ramon

Spoiler:

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Watched the first episode of From just now. Saw a few ads for it, was intrigued, plot seemed like it would be worth watching, at least for the first episode. It's 'from the minds that brought you Lost' which probably isn't the most thrilling endorsement I'd want it to be, but it does give off similar vibes.

Basic synopsis: A family find themselves trapped in a town where no-one can leave. Also there's like man-eating monsters that hunt during the night so you'd better stay inside and lock your doors. Like two Twilight Zone concepts mashed together, but I think it pulls it off well so far. It's got me intrigued enough to have the second episode scheduled for tomorrow night, so there's that.

I've needed a 'mystery' kinda show in my life. I'm hoping it's worth it.

Spoiler:

[be more kind]

Status

Finished off the latest batch "Love, Death & Robots" eps, still boss.

Thought Obi-Wan started real strong too, looking forward to the rest of the series.

Should be looking forward to Stranger Things, but the absurd episode run times for this season has put me right off.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Obi Wan was pretty good. Anything with Ewan McGregor has a high floor for me. I did see a few Disney Star Wars era red flags (notably the villain of the first two episodes), but I enjoyed the first two episodes for the most part and the ending made me very excited

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    Watched the first episode of From just now. Saw a few ads for it, was intrigued, plot seemed like it would be worth watching, at least for the first episode. It's 'from the minds that brought you Lost' which probably isn't the most thrilling endorsement I'd want it to be, but it does give off similar vibes.

Basic synopsis: A family find themselves trapped in a town where no-one can leave. Also there's like man-eating monsters that hunt during the night so you'd better stay inside and lock your doors. Like two Twilight Zone concepts mashed together, but I think it pulls it off well so far. It's got me intrigued enough to have the second episode scheduled for tomorrow night, so there's that.

I've needed a 'mystery' kinda show in my life. I'm hoping it's worth it.
    So, recently finished off Season 1 of From. Got some mixed thoughts.

I REALLY liked the potential of the idea of the main plot. Isolated town with a dark secret? Tick. Monsters and shit with high stakes? Tick. A core mystery that we have to unravel? Tick. I cannot stress enough how much I enjoyed the core idea and how various things about it were teased throughout the show - from in-character theories to background clues and hints. I. Loved. The Idea.

You can tell by how I'm harping on the idea that other things... Might not have lived up to my hopes. I'm not good at reviewing so you can expect scattered thoughts below the spoiler tabs if you're interested.

Spoiler-free review:

As a whole, I'd put it as a fine enough 7/10? I guess? Good premise, strong-ish characters, a big threat, a big mystery, strong scenes and acting and such. There's a few things that knock it down - Wooden child acting, some baffling decisions by the characters, and a bit of filler being one. I'll explain more below the spoiler break, because I kinda just want to talk about it.

Spoilers:

Spoiler:

Let's start off with the protagonists. I don't recall actors so I'm calling them by their character names. Sorry not sorry.

If you want a good plot, you need a good protagonist or protagonists for the audience to get behind. You need them to be likeable, but also not generic and bland. Of course there's variations or inversions that can be played well - the term Villain Protagonist is on the rise - and for the most part, the main protagonists hit that bar. The Sheriff of the town, Boyd, is an excellent protagonist who is trying to keep everyone safe and alive, sometimes making hard decisions to ensure people stay safe. This is highlighted by his treatment of Frank - the cold open of the series has Frank's wife and child brutally slain by the monsters, because Frank failed to nail the windows to their house shut because he was out getting drunk. Boyd then sentences Frank to death by leaving him outside with the monsters to kill. This isn't something he does easily, he actively encourages Frank to leave and run away and try to find some kind of escape - but when Frank refuses to, wracked with guilt, Boyd pushes on, because if Frank gets off scot-free after getting his family killed, what kind of deterrent would that have on the rest of the townsfolk? As secondary character and local priest, Father Kahtri says, 'You built a guillotine in the middle of of the town. What do you think's going to happen if everyone realizes you're too afraid to use it?' He makes the hard decisions because someone has to, and the character is nuanced and likeable enough for us to sympathize with him, especially as a very pivotal point of his backstory is revealed.

Then there's the other protagonists, the Matthews Family. On a road trip to somewhere, they wind up in town as the newcomers for the audience to latch on to and for everyone else to explain shit to. I struggled to give a shit about them and the family drama that took up a lot of the screen time. They're not bad characters or particularly unlikeable, they're just... Bland. I don't even remember half of their names, and there's only four of them - The dad, mom, son, and daughter. I didn't dislike them, per se, though I did dislike how much time was spent exploring their family issues and how said issues shadows over most of the season. I just didn't like them either. Hell, even distant third protagonist, Jade, who is introduced memorably high as a kite after being in a car accident his equally high friend caused, whose primary character introduction scene is laughing uproariously at a funeral for the aforementioned murdered wife and child of Frank because he thinks it's an elaborate escape room gag his friend set up for him, turned out to be more interesting and likeable in a 'wow, he's a jerk, but a funny one tho.' It helps that Jade seems to be the primary force behind trying to figure out what the fuck this place is and how we can escape it, whereas the Matthews Family touch on it briefly but rarely go all-in.

The secondary characters are, for the most part, solid. I was genuinely sad too little time was spent with Victor - the socially stunted 50-ish year old man who has lived in this town since he was a child, decades longer than anyone else. He's a bit kooky - understandably so - but he seems to know a lot of shit about this place, but no-one ever really talks to him about it. Prime missed opportunity there, so hopefully he gets more of a spotlight in season 2.

Let's move on to some decisions made by some characters that made me want to smack something, because some decisions only happened because the plot demands it. The earliest one is in the first episode - on a rushed drive to get back to safety before sundown, before the monsters come out to kill them, a car full of protagonists forget that they laid out a spike trip earlier, drive the car over them, shred the tyres, and have to run as fast as they can to the nearest safehouse as monsters close in on them. How the FUCK do you forget you laid down a spike strip for the sole purpose of stopping cars on the only road leading in and out of the town, an hour before sundown and an hour before death comes to play? The strange part is that it's a mostly pointless cliffhanger - everyone survives. I fully expected half the batch to get killed off, to show the Matthews Family protagonists what the stakes are. Instead everyone survives and the family don't get answers as to what the big threat is until later.

Speaking of the safehouse - the town itself is dived into two groups. One group is in the town itself, who live in the abandoned houses and try their best to resume a normal life. The other lives in one giant mansion, called Colony House, and for the most part have adopted the policy of 'we're gonna die any way, might as well live it up, pass the joint bruv.' Sure. Understandable. Hit that kush. But as one episode demonstrates, a mansion full of strangers on various amounts of intoxication, with monsters coming out every night trying to break into the house and kill everyone, is just a massacre waiting to happen. One minor character, possibly the dumbest character in the series, causes the deaths of over a dozen characters because the monsters tricked him into viewing one of them as a friendly lady. My dude. Control your loins - you're in a town surrounded by monsters who take the form of humans, who come out every night to try and break into your home and kill you, who will try to lie to you just so you let them inside and murder you. This is episode, like, seven - at this point every character should know the stakes and exactly what happens if you open a window at night to let in the hot lady who said she loves you. If it was episode one or two, it'd be forgivable, but it's so late in the series you're left screaming at this one guy that he's a fucking idiot who deserves to have his tongue ripped out and be blue-balled to death. Sure - it's a hopeless town where it's easy to fall into despair but fuck me, dude, if you're that desperate for monster puss just stay out at night, don't drag half the house to death with you. Christ. By the way - this guy? He has a grand total of like two scenes with a combined five minutes of TV time. He's so minor his name is never said on-screen. Oddly enough, I kinda liked that aspect of the situation - the fact that in a place where anyone can die, it's the actions of one guy whose name you don't even know that causes so many deaths. It's not just the main characters, it's the actions of one minor guy named Kevin that really rocks the town. Pity he did it over his boner.

Another point that I found to be a bit 'bleh' is that there's filler and it doesn't feel engaging enough to justify it. See, the thing with drama is that there needs to be conflict of some kind, right? Character A wants this, character B wants that, mash them together for 10 minutes and there's your conflict. But when a conflict between characters doesn't feel genuine and is just there because 'well we need drama', then it's filler. Throughout the story, multiple characters try and suggest ideas that could help them escape this town. The primary conflict? Other characters saying, "What's the point, it's not going to work." Shining field of flowers, aren't ya. This wouldn't be too bad, it's good to have the voice of dissented try to point out why something couldn't work, so we can see the egg on their face when it does. It's when this conflict is stretched out for the length of an entire episode that it comes off as filler, especially when there's no real resolution - the protags go ahead with the plan anyway and the voice of dissented never really explains why it won't work, so rather than a potential voice of reason they come off as a nihilistic chore. Much like most of the Matthews Family drama, I wasn't too invested, and was hoping the main conflict would've been something to do with the monsters or the town itself or something. But at least in this case it's understandable, if draining, considering this takes place just after the aforementioned massacre caused by Kevin - the voice of dissent is coming from Donna who just lost countless friends in one horror night, and she eventually comes around to helping the others - it's a shame it took the length of an episode and a half to really get there, especially at a point where there were so little episodes left in the season.

Now, the mystery aspect - I feel like I'm in the minority, because when I see a mystery, I don't explicitly want it to be solved. I want to see people try to understand it, try to come to conclusions, pick up hints and details that might paint a bigger picture, but I don't want it explained. I don't want answers spoonfed to me, I like being able to unravel things bit by bit. After a mystery has been solved, it's not quite a mystery anymore, it loses that magical fun, so I'm 100% okay with the town and various things like the monsters not being explained on-screen. I'm alright with that. It's what discussion forums are for. Mysteries are what makes life fun. It's kinda why I never really got that one point people were making about Lost. "They didn't explain anything!" Even though they kinda did and honestly explained a bit too much, were you not paying attention? Even the polar bears were explained. But I'm getting off track - The main mystery is the town and the monsters, and spoiler, neither are really explained, nor do I want them to be explained. I want them to be forever unknown, this not-understandable force that the characters can't wrap their heads arounds, they can only live with it, die in it, or escape from it, but they can't understand it. But at the end of the series a few more mysteries pop up, and you can't tell if they're relating to the town or the monsters, or they're just to get people to talk about them. A lighthouse in the middle of the woods that is currently operated. A field of spider webs with the implication that there's a giant fucking spider the size of a house wandering around the place with some kind of human intelligence and sentience. Visions, hallucinations, a child only a few can see, tunnels underneath the town, the town 'talking' to a character. Right at the tail end of the season a whole bunch of these sub-mysteries pop up and I can't help but feel that they might be connected to ongoing mystery, and they might equally not, they might just be false mysteries, stuff there to get people pondering while the producers try to think about how they actually relate to the series.

Oh and there's some kids too which means suffering through wooden child acting and dialogue for a child that doesn't sound like a child's dialogue.

So I guess to summarize, while I liked the series enough and am still interested for when Season 2 eventually happens, I'm still fairly 'ehhh' with it. It's not quite the mystery series I was hoping for, but it's good enough for binge watching.

Spoiler:

World Champion

Status

Anyone else watching Ms Marvel? i actually love it..its light hearted and its great for the Family.

i think the main actress and (honestly) most of her family are fantastic actors and play their roles really well.
    Last edited by indyfan; 06-29-2022 at 07:34 PM.
    Indyfans Top ROH matches has got you covered

Wrestling Goddest

Status
      Country                    United States

I plan on subscribing to Disney+ soon to watch the Star Wars Shows, Ms. Marvel, Wandavision, and rewatch Agents of SHIELD.
    From Cincinnati, comes the most stylish, elegant, bewitching, continuously charismatic, and fantastically fascinating woman to appear in this or any arena. Allow yourself to be seduced, enchanted, dazzled, and entranced by the all pink everything herself...BattleKat

[be more kind]

Status

I loved the first few episodes of Ms.Marvel, but I'm concerned it's slipping into standard MCU tropes.

Still, enjoying Umbrella Academy as always.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    Germany

Just watched We Own This City on HBOMax. I guess it's like the stepbrother of The Wire, takes place in Baltimore, created by the same guy, but it wasn't as refined as The Wire, it was good, not great. Only 6 episodes hurt it, moved too fast. They could've done more, because the cast was really good, but it's a one and done series.

Just before that I watched The Lincoln Lawyer, which was pretty well done. A more fleshed out version of the movie and closer to the book series. This will be coming back and I'll tune in when the 2nd season happens.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Rolling through Homeland at the minute. At early season seven. Got recommended this because I enjoyed 24. I'm liking it as a whole, but I think I preferred 24.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

So, about that last Better Call Saul episode...

Spoiler:

HO-LEE-SHIT! I knew they were going to wrap up the Lalo stuff fairly quick, but I didn't think it was going to be in the literal first episode back from the break. As soon as Gus realized what Lalo was up to, I figured that's where we were headed, and it was as good an ending for the character as I could have imagined.

I have to say, the shot of Howard being buried alongside his killer was probably the most emotional I've felt throughout any episode of BB/BCS. Not only did he not deserve his fate, he most certainly did not deserve to be buried with Lalo and have his name drug through the mud, which is about to happen. I believe Mike also felt pretty broken up about the situation, as he asked the guys to be gentle with Howard but not Lalo. Also, the shot of Howard in Jimmy's fridge and the expression of horror on his face was well placed. I can't believe there's only 5 episodes left, but I'm ready...I think.

Oh, and Kim walking up to the door echoing Walter doing the same in BB was an awesome touch. I half expected her phone to ring and hear "go home Kim" on the other end.

​​​

Spoiler:

Worked. Everyone.

Status

I do not want Better Call Saul to end. The attention to detail and the payoffs we've been getting put this far and above Breaking Bad imo. I wish more people would have given this a chance and stuck with it, the character work is incredible. 5 episodes to go and I would expect at least 1 to be fully committed to Gene. I haven't researched any BCS since it started but when it's done I'll probably rewatch it all and then watch Breaking Bad (and maybe El Camino).

Worked. Everyone.

Status

Latest episode of Better Call Saul could have been the season finale and I'd have been happy (but also equally heartbroken), the transition from Jimmy to Saul is done and everyone got what they wanted from Season 1 but in the most awful way. I don't want Saul anymore, I want Jimmy. The end had me thinking this is where Walt comes into Saul's office for the first time, especially when they mentioned the public masturbation thing. To think, there are 4 episodes left, I presume 2 for the Saul we get in Breaking Bad and the final 2 for Gene. The show hasn't got to the end yet but I think it's going to stick the landing and be my favourite show of all time come the end.

The inclusion of Patrick Fabian's personal Instagram photos is gold.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I really need to get back into BCS. Stopped watching around season 4 (can't remember why - certainly not for lack of enjoyment) but all the rave reviews are making me want to revisit.

Speaking of giving up, watched one episode of Netflix's Resident Evil. Genuinely one of the worst episodes of anything I've ever seen. Show is filled with unlikeable characters and some of the worst dialogue I've heard.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 397987888990 LastLast

Thread Information