Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485
Results 1,681 to 1,685 of 1685

Thread: Currently Watching - Redux

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Currently Watching - Redux

Okay, Season 4 of The Simpsons done! Thoughts:

- As mentioned earlier, not only the best so far but I imagine a strong contender for best ever. And considering where people rank the show in terms of all-timers, you could make a good argument for this being one of the best seasons of TV ever. The strongest criticism I could give is that it maybe runs out of steam slightly towards the end. Interestingly on that note, looking up the wiki page for the season & not only is this one shorter than three by two episodes, but two ("Kamp Krusty", & "A Streetcar Named Marge") were holdovers as well. Throw in a the first clip show of the season as well, and this really starts to strike a "quality over quantity" thought.

- The Ralph Wiggum change is fun to witness. He shows no signs of the simple character he'd become in appearances here & there, then BAM, the "I Love Lisa" epsiode happens & he's changed overnight. For the better, of course.

- The Osaka Flu in "Marge In Chains" was a little too close for comfort considering the world right now

- RIP Phil Hartman, what a great contribution his various roles (Lionel Hutz, Troy McClure, Lyle Lanley) were to this season.

- I saw this mentioned elsewhere on the interwebs, but it's too funny to not repeat/pass on. We find out in "Krusty Gets Kancelled" that Krusty & Luke Perry are half brothers, which means that Krusty The Klown would be AEW's Jungle Boy's half-uncle. That's so amazing, & I hope it comes up in the compaany some day.

- Easily the weakest Treehouse Of Horror so far. The Kong segment especially stands out as a lack of ideas.

Top five favourite episodes (boy was this tough) in no order are:

- Homer The Heretic (ballsy content for a prime time show, not perfect but would never have the time to explore the topic in more details. The Simpsons episodes dealing with Homer, morality & the church have consistantly been strong)
    - Last Exit To Springfield (well DUH)
    - Marge vs. The Monorall (again, obviously)
    - Whacking Day
    - Mr. Plow

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X104F using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Season 4 is a really strong season just going up and down the list. Last Exit To Springfield is probably the most unoriginal choice for greatest Simpsons episode but it is definitely right up there.

Don't disagree with any of the top 5. Marge vs the Monorail is a classic, I quote it all the time.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Heel Champion

Status

I'm going to be straight up - It's been around 10-15 years since I religiously watched The Simpsons, but I'd be interested to see how things have changed over time and I wonder what you found to be the major similarities and differences between the early stuff and more recent episodes? My sister's in her late teens and her circle of friends are obsessed with South Park and Family Guy, so it seems that The Simpsons has taken a slight step back in pop culture since my day.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'm going to be straight up - It's been around 10-15 years since I religiously watched The Simpsons, but I'd be interested to see how things have changed over time and I wonder what you found to be the major similarities and differences between the early stuff and more recent episodes? My sister's in her late teens and her circle of friends are obsessed with South Park and Family Guy, so it seems that The Simpsons has taken a slight step back in pop culture since my day.
    From my perspective I don't even think there is any similarities anymore between modern Simpsons and the golden era of the Simpsons. Everything from the animation, the plots, the character's personalities are so far removed at this point that they might as well be different shows.

Heck, I find the difference just between season 8 and season 10 to be very jarring in terms of tone, story structure and character personality.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    From my perspective I don't even think there is any similarities anymore between modern Simpsons and the golden era of the Simpsons. Everything from the animation, the plots, the character's personalities are so far removed at this point that they might as well be different shows.

Heck, I find the difference just between season 8 and season 10 to be very jarring in terms of tone, story structure and character personality.
    Yeah, I understand that. I find it funny when the media print articles like "SIMPSONS PREDICTED CORONAVIRUS" mentioning the episode was from 20 years ago.. The heyday imo.

Speaking of which.. When they print stories like that, do you remember the actual episode/scene? I don't! ��

Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485

Thread Information