Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Currently Watching - Redux

God's Gift to God

Status

Re: Currently Watching - Redux

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    I wouldn't call season seven awful, but it was probably my least favourite of all eight. I finished season eight the other day and cried like a little girl during the last episode.
    I loathed Season 7. Throughout the whole series, which I followed religiously, I never wanted House and Cuddy to be in a relationship. They played the whole thread perfectly for the longest time. Both of them wanted it, but both knew it would be an ill-fated endeavor and avoided it for the best interests of all parties. I personally hated Season 7 so much that I still believe the writers intentionally made it awful to prove to everyone clamoring for them to hook up how bad the idea was. I may have been fine with the relationship if it happened sooner, but Season 7 just felt so out of place in the grand scheme of the show.

Having said that, if you were watching each episode in succession to complete the series, Season 8 might seem to compliment Season 7 a lot more than watching each episode weekly during the seasons. In that format it might seem a bit more fluid. But watching Season 7 unfold, week in and week out as a longtime fan, it was absolutely brutal to watch and nothing short of a disappointment.

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status
      Country                    United States

Season 7 didn't bother me much cause it was still Hugh Laurie being a boss but it is probably my least favorite.

Spoiler:

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    The funniest thing is, almost as soon as I sent that post I remembered the one with Toby Jones was awesome as well.

I get the whole thing with Rory, and it's definitely a valid concern. I think the issue I have with it is that there seems to be an over-reliance on using that as a means of characterization. Thankfully they did a bit with him towards the end of the series to breathe a little more life into him, but then it was just back to the same old stuff in the first two from Series 6. That being said, I still like Rory and Amy, and am just hoping they get a little more depth as the series progresses.

I'm just about to watch The Curse of the Black Spot, which looks like it should be a pretty fun episode. I'd say its needed after the more serious tone of the last two. Oh and The Silence are pretty creepy villains as well.
    The Toby Jones episode is so epic! That season is actually pretty fucking awesome all around really looking back on it.

I adore Rory and Amy. They are my favourite set of companions of the new Who series.

The Curse Of The Black Spot is a lot of fun, but very Pirates Of The Caribbean.

The Silence are almost as creepy as The Angels. Two of my favourite villains right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Dealer View Post
    Yeah I was listening to the Indoor Kids podcast and they basically said if you're not sure about Doctor Who watch Blink and if you don't like it you probably won't like the show. So I watched Blink and fell in love with the show and those goddamn angels creeped me the fuck out. My favorite villains so far.

Once I get through Tennant and Smith I'll have to go back and watch Eccleston.

Currently on series 2 episode 11, Love & Monsters.
    Blink definitely one of my favourite episodes ever. Strange, because The Doctor's really not in it that much. I love it too cos Sally Sparrow's a hottie and starting to become a huge mega-star in Hollywoodland now.

Watching the Eccelston episodes isn't something I'd personally recommend, as I dislike him as an actor in general, but you do get to see the origins of Rose so that's nice. She's my second favourite companion (after Amy).

Quick fact; Love & Monsters was specifically written for the Peter Kay cameo, and the monster he plays was designed by a viewer as part of a Blue Peter competition. My girlfriend thinks it's shit, but I like the story. I think Peter Kay's shit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    I loathed Season 7. Throughout the whole series, which I followed religiously, I never wanted House and Cuddy to be in a relationship. They played the whole thread perfectly for the longest time. Both of them wanted it, but both knew it would be an ill-fated endeavor and avoided it for the best interests of all parties. I personally hated Season 7 so much that I still believe the writers intentionally made it awful to prove to everyone clamoring for them to hook up how bad the idea was. I may have been fine with the relationship if it happened sooner, but Season 7 just felt so out of place in the grand scheme of the show.

Having said that, if you were watching each episode in succession to complete the series, Season 8 might seem to compliment Season 7 a lot more than watching each episode weekly during the seasons. In that format it might seem a bit more fluid. But watching Season 7 unfold, week in and week out as a longtime fan, it was absolutely brutal to watch and nothing short of a disappointment.
    Yeah... I can see how it might be different watching them unfold slowly. I just powered through all eight seasons in the space of about two-three months so anything that sucked kinda got lot in the shuffle by all the awesome stuff.

I actually quite liked the idea of House and Cuddy together, and I didn't think it was executed badly - what I didn't like was the break-up and the reasons behind it. It all felt a little slapdash and haphazard and just sort of done on the fly. Which was something I noticed as the seasons went on; some episodes felt like they were just pushing along to fill time and to another point in the shows story line. Season seven had more "let's-just-get-it-over-with" episodes than the others though, where they just decided they'd start somewhere and end elsewhere and fuck how they did it, but it'd happen.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I adore Rory and Amy. They are my favourite set of companions of the new Who series.
    I haven't liked any companions as much since all the way back to the Tom Baker and Peter Davison series...not to date myself too much mind you.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

Update, decided to get Eccleston's series done before going back to the rest. I like Eccleston but nowhere near as much as Tennant. Also, I absolutely cannot wait to get to Smith and Gillan cause ever since I saw Nerdist vs Doctor Who on All Star Bowling I've had a huge crush on Gillan.

Spoiler:

God's Gift to God

Status

That's part of the issue I had with Season 7: It had no direction. If there was a tagline for each season, Season 7's would be "House and Cuddy are together!!!!!!!!!!11231212" and nothing else. It felt like the only focal point and everything else got lost in the shuffle. Maybe I'm just too harsh about it in a smarky kinda way. Everyone knew the relationship wouldn't last and everyone knew House would start taking Vicodin again. They did a pretty job of showcasing that House was a really good person deep down, but anyone that had watched the show already knew that. It didn't need fleshed out in a whole season, in which the entirety of what made the show entertaining was stripped away.

It's the only season I don't own on DVD yet and I do plan on completing my collection. Perhaps if I go through it again, similar to how you did from beginning to end, I'll gain a different view on it in retrospect.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I haven't liked any companions as much since all the way back to the Tom Baker and Peter Davison series...not to date myself too much mind you.
    I didn't watch much Who when I was a kid... So, Tennant was really my "first" Doctor. I have all the salvaged episodes of all the Doctor's since they started on my external Hard Drive, and I plan on watching them from Hartnell to Smith once this current season ends (damn breaks!) so we will have to discuss you other favourites once I reach the Baker and Davison era's.

Update, decided to get Eccleston's series done before going back to the rest. I like Eccleston but nowhere near as much as Tennant. Also, I absolutely cannot wait to get to Smith and Gillan cause ever since I saw Nerdist vs Doctor Who on All Star Bowling I've had a huge crush on Gillan.
    Karen Gillan is both beautiful and Scottish, making her even more beautiful.

It's the only season I don't own on DVD yet and I do plan on completing my collection. Perhaps if I go through it again, similar to how you did from beginning to end, I'll gain a different view on it in retrospect.
    I wouldn't guarantee it, but I would definitely suggest giving it a go, if only so that you can actually watch it all back-to-back and complete your collection. I think everyone here knows of your love for House and it seems sad to me that you have every season but seven in your collection.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

All this talk of Doc Who. I shall join.

I didn't really get into the whole Who thing until a while ago, and when I finally did I realized the awesomeness I had been missing. David Tennant, Matt Smith, and Christopher Eccelson all do excellent Doctors in their own ways, although I have to admit I do lean towards Tennant as a personal favourite. This series has never failed to surprise and entertain me. So, I decided I might as well go back and watch some 10th Doctor in my free time. Starting with the first Dr. Who episode I saw, The Girl in the Fireplace.

I may have bawled my eyes out.

God's Gift to God

Status

I really liked Eccelston and I've seen a lot of people say they didn't care for him. I was really bummed when I got to the end of Series 1 and he was replaced. But Tennant grew on me like a tumor and I won't be be able to watch him regenerate again without feeling similarly.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Being Human; season two, episode eight - "All God's Children"

With all this Doctor Who talk, it's got me wondering if anyone here watches Being Human (the UK version, not the American one - I'm not up to date with that one yet)? I'm re-watching the first four seasons at the minute in preparation for season five which starts on Sunday evening. With a complete overhaul of the original cast, I'm looking forward to seeing how this season will differ to the first three, and the last one.

The episode I'm currently watching sees Mitchell completely go off the deep end following Lucy's disappearance and his discovery that she is the one behind the fire at the funeral parlour and the one running the program that George and Nina are putting their faith in to cure them. He runs rough-shod through the facility, tearing it up in order to get to Lucy, while Kemp exorcises Annie and sends her through the door into oblivion.

Season two, and in particular it's finale, has a few glaring plot-holes in it that cause me a few problems, and it's probably my least favourite of the four seasons so far, but it's still hugely enjoyable.

Status

House of Cards.

It's a Netflix Original Series. Just got done with the first episode. Really good premier. I'm stoked that they put up all 13 episodes too. Love their new marketing ploy and how they're handling it. Kevin Spacey is awesome, Kate Mara is hot, and the writing is superb. I'm hooked.

Stud Muffin

Status
    I was gonna check that House of Cards out so now I definitely will. Thanks Peeps.

I'm watching Season 4 E 1 of The Wire

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

Doctor Who Series 6 Episode 2 - Day of the Moon

Oh, Amy Pond you so fine.

Spoiler:

God's Gift to God

Status

I just finished the S4 finale of Doctor Who. Fuck my life.

Just fuck it .

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Oh, Amy Pond you so fine.
    Yes she is.

I just finished the S4 finale of Doctor Who. Fuck my life.

Just fuck it .
    I hate Catherine Tate, but that ending is so tragic for her character. It's amazing.

I'm watch The Black Adder; episode four - "Born To Be King". The first season isn't as good as the rest of the series, but it has its moments.

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

Yes she is.

I hate Catherine Tate, but that ending is so tragic for her character. It's amazing.

I'm watch The Black Adder; episode four - "Born To Be King". The first season isn't as good as the rest of the series, but it has its moments.
    I was more bummed during the s4 finale that there'd be no more Tennant Although I love Matt Smith too.

Spoiler:

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I was more bummed during the s4 finale that there'd be no more Tennant Although I love Matt Smith too.
    Technically the season four finale was "Journey's End", Catherine Tate's last episode as companion. "The End Of Time", which saw Tennant's Doctor regenerate, was a special shown over a year later. So you had five more episodes of him after season four ended. I'm not entirely sure how they've worked it as far as the DVD boxset's are concerned though, so it's possible that they are listed as episodes in season four.

God's Gift to God

Status

That is the only reason I'm sad. I hated Donna as a companion for the most part, although I did feel a bit sad that she lost everything she learned with The Doctor. But she got married in the finale and The Doctor gave her a (presumably) winning lottery ticket as a gift via her mom and gramps. I think things turned out well for her.

But David

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

Technically the season four finale was "Journey's End", Catherine Tate's last episode as companion. "The End Of Time", which saw Tennant's Doctor regenerate, was a special shown over a year later. So you had five more episodes of him after season four ended. I'm not entirely sure how they've worked it as far as the DVD boxset's are concerned though, so it's possible that they are listed as episodes in season four.
    Netflix has the 2008-2010 specials listed as just 5 extra episodes of series 4. So series 4 has 18 episodes on there.

Spoiler:

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

How hard did you guys mark when Harkness said they called him the Face of Boe?

Spoiler:

Thread Information