Thread: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom VI / 40th Anniversary Show, January 4th

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    de=Germany

Night of Champions NJPW Wrestle Kingdom VI / 40th Anniversary Show, January 4th

Not too sure if there are some NJPW fans out there, but I'll give it a try anyway with NJPW's biggest show of the year, Wrestle Kingdom, which takes place at the world-famous Tokyo Dome on January 4th, which allowed 42,000 viewers to watch the event last year. Usually, the full events are uploaded on YouTube 2-3 days later, so even if you haven't got the chance to watch live, some might be interested in seeing a hell of a show (and, as I hope, comment on it).

For those who aren't familiar with the talent, I give a short summary of the background of the matches. I watch NJPW for about 7 months, so please don't expect me to know everything happening before that

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match
    No Remorse Corps (Davey Richards & Rocky Romero) (c) vs. Apollo 55 (Prince Devitt & Raisuke Taguchi)
    This is basically the thing ROH commentators talk about when talking about "Davey is in Japan". NRC is associated to the CHAOS group led by Shinsuke Nakamura. At the Dimension PPV, NRC got the titles from Apollo 55, so this is basically the rematch. More background is that Prince Devitt is currently the Jr. Heavyweight Champion, defended some weeks ago successfully against Davey Richards at the Power Struggle PPV and will defend in the near future against Rocky Romero.

Eight Man Tag Team Match
    Jushin Thunder Lier, Kushida, Mascara Dorada, Tiger Mask vs. Atlantis, Taichi, TAKA Michinoku, Valiente
    Sorry, but I don't know about the history of this match since there actually hasn't been any build-up for it in the NJPW shows. With Dorada, Atlantis and Valiente, three CMLL wrestlers will be visiting Japan. I guess, it's always nice to see Liger in action one more time (at the age of 47) so I expect this to be a very good match no matter how low the stakes are.

Singles Match
    Kazuchika Okada vs. YOSHI-HASI
    Basically two rookies going at it, so it could be the match after the opener. This seems to be a more relaxed match since there isn't a lot of bloody grudge heat involved.

Tag Team Match
    Blue Justice Army (Wataru Inoue & Yuji Nagata) vs. Masakatsu Funaki & Masayuki Kono
    This is basically a number one contender's match for the tag team titles. Since Nagata is out of the title picture for a while after losing to Tanahasi at Power Struggle, i see BJA going over here and facing the champions at the next PPV.

Tag Team Match
    MVP & Shelton Benjamin vs. Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
    This is basically an extension match for the Intercontinental IC title feud between Tanaka and MVP. MVP captured the title at a tournament at the US tour, defeating Toru Yano in the finals, and held it until dropping it until May against the Tanaka. In Singles matches, Tanaka is now 2:0 against MVP. After a beatdown of Tanaka against MVP at Power Struggle, MVP called Benjamin up for help. Takahashi is another talent from the CHAOS stable, who seems to pick up pins left and right over the last few months so this will surely be an intense match to watch and a good introduction for people who have more of a WWE approach.

IWGP Tag Team Title Match
    Bad Intentions (Giant Bernard & Karl Anderson) (c) vs. TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima)
    Both Tenzan and Kojima just recently had their 20th Annisary shows, and they are both big babyfaces. They teamed earlier on in their careers, won the tag team titles, split up, both managed to win the Heavyweight title, and now they re-united some weeks ago. From the reactions to them being back together at Power Struggle, there might be a title change happening. Bad Intentions are holding the titles since June 2010, so it's about the right night for a change.

Singles Match
    Hirooki Goto vs. Takashi Suguira
    A NJPW vs. NOAH fight. As usual, this should be a very intense match since NOAH and NJPW obviously play off the promotion vs. promotion angle though they both have a prosperous talent exchange which doesn't consist of "their guys always get squashed here". I guess, most of this storyline must have happened in NOAH, because except for a tag team match at a houseshow and a staredown after the match betwee Goto and Suguira, I can't recall them to have anything of a feud.

Singles Match
    Togi Makabe vs. Yoshihiro Takayama
    This will be a true grudge match. Makabe has pretty much every multi-men match against members of CHAOS whenever Takayama was involved in the match. This seems to be their first Singles match after quite some time.

Tag Team Match
    Shinsuke Nakamura & Toru Yano vs. Go Shiozaki & Naomichi Marufuji
    The match I look forward to the most, and given enough time should be the showstealer. Whoever follows the indys at least on YouTube, knows of NOAH's Shiozaki's and Marufuji's greatness, and Nakamura, who just won the G1-Climaxx 2011 and is in my book the best worker cocerning his big match quality, and Yano, who in my book is one of the best heels in wrestling right now, shuld add up the that greatness as well.

Singles Match
    Keiji Muto vs. Tetsuya Naito
    While Muto has been a multi-time Heavyweight champion, Naito was the guy in 2011, who always came very close to titles in recent months. He put on a hell of an effort in the loss against Tanahashi at Dimension where they went 30 minutes, then went on to beat Tanahashi at the G1-Climaxx in the semi finals just to lose against Shinsuke Nakamura in the finals. This might be his first big win and a way for Muto to pass the torch.

IWGP Heavyweight Title Match
    Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Minoru Suzuki

The main event. Tanahashi is heading into his 11th title defense, and if he manages to pull out the win, he will be the record holder in that department. However, his "overness" with the fans has become less and less over the year. Suzuki has earned his title show when defeating Giant Bernard some weeks ago in a hell of an effort. Since Suzuki was portrayed as a funny heel more (kicking down the guys who open the ropes which is loved by the audience, singing along to his theme music when approaching the ring) over the last months, the grundwork was made for a possible title change here with also possible face/heel/double turns involved.

Well, I hope that some might be interested in the event after all that typing

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom VI / 40th Anniversary Show, January 4th

Never watched a New Japan show but it looks interesting.

Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

Pretty dissapointing card IMO. Not really interested in anything outside MAYBE Takayama vs Makabe as long as Takayama brings it. Sugs vs Goto could be good as long as the keep it SHORT unlike their match as the last WK. Otherwise everything is pretty boring and predictable. Yano and Marufuji do not fit in that tag at all.

Backyarder

Status

suprised no TNA talent on the card, is this the finalized card?

WAKE UP

Status

Yes, and the TNA-NJPW relationship ended a while back.

Backyarder

Status

oh, thats a bummer, nothing on the card really shoots out at me interest wise. I'll probably still catch it on Youtube when its uploaded

On Vacation

Status

Can't wait for tonight. "SenorPuroresu" has the event already up on YouTube

WAKE UP

Status

Watched Sugs/Goto and Takayama/Makabe, both were pretty boring, doubt the rest is much better.

On Vacation

Status

I have watched the whole event yesterday, and I haven't liked a whole lot of it either. Well, don't get me wrong, compared to the average TNA PPV (which is everything except Destination X) and this year's ROH Final Battle, this was a A+ show when it comes down to in-ring action. Compared to the "Destruction" or the "Dominion" shows of 2011, it was pretty weak.

Marufuji/Shiozaki vs. Nakamura/Yano was MOTN in my book as expected (Marufuji is just awesome in his innovations), and the main event did obviously deliver though it surely wasn't Tanahashi's best title defense. The tag team title match was also nice because it pretty much went as I expected, which is a very good thing. This would be the three matches I would recommend to check out.

Apart from that, I felt proud as a ROH fan to see Davey at the Tokyo Dome though it wasn't the best showing. Apollo 55's matches with MCMG from 2009 or with Golden Lovers (Kenny Omega/Kota Ibushi) from 2010 were basically twice as fast and got the crowd going all the f'king time, while this one didn't get too many reactions from the crowd.

It was a real shame what the CMLL guys brought to the table...dammit, I don't know why, but I hate Lucha Libre with this brainless I-don't-want-to-make-sense-but-I-want-to-do-a-backflip-into-a-backflip-and-another-backflip-while-doing-a-corkscrew-backflip approach with more botches than good moves. Okay, maybe I know why I hate it ;-)

I still don't get it why Okada came out and asked for a title shot after the main event. His match was probably the worst one of the whole card (approx. 4 minute match), and the fan response to it was pretty fitting. In WWE terms, I would compare this to Jinder Mahal coming out at the end of Wrestlemania and asking the WWE champion for a title match. This match will probably be the first title defense for which I hope that Tanahashi retains.

WAKE UP

Status

Valiente and Atlantis are world class workers, but if you bring them in to work an undercard spotfest, that is what they will give you.

Tanahashi will obviously retain against Okada, pretty much no on ever wins the belt in their first shot. I expect he'll likley drop it to Goto down the line, or maybe Makabe if he keeps his mometum up. Okada was pretty great as a young lion, hopefully that carries over into him bein a main eventer.

On Vacation

Status

I would of course have liked to see him drop it to Nakamura after the Climaxx...just love the guy :D

Speaking unbiased, I would like to have seen him drop it to Naito. This guy is so super-over, it's not even funny. And he went the "champion route", which means working in another country (Tanahashi went to Mexico in '06, Naito obviously was with TNA in '09 for a bit). And he put on great matches with everyone in 2011 (especially during the G1-Climaxx...the final was just insane). Besides that, he won the fan favorite temperature check at the Destruction main event by more than a mile. That crowd was 99% Naito all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if at Climaxx 2012 we will see Naito winning over maybe Suzuki and then finally de-throning Tanahashi.

WAKE UP

Status

Naito will win it in time, but Goto is about 3 years overdue. Naito took 2 straight losses to Nakamura and already lost in a shot against Tanahashi, he probably won't get another title shot during this reign.

Status

Been watching through this. Have yet to finish but already kinda disappointed. So far it hasn't been bad, but it hasn't been really anything great either. I was hoping for more but its just okay.

Read that the post-match stuff between Ngata and Funaki was a shoot rather than a work, as Funaki took exception to how stiff Yugi was working.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WAKE UP

Status

It was un-planned. Nagata legit broke his cheekbone with a knee and Funaki was legit pissed at Nagata over it, hence why the match went like 4 minutes. Funaki will be out 6 months because of it. Not sure it was Nagata necassarily shooting on Funaki, more just that he was too stiff. Still, when Funaki returns, there is your money match.

Thread Information