Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cody Rhodes

Chikara Trainee

Status

Smackdown Cody Rhodes

Just about everyone (myself included) thought that Cody Rhodes would be lost in the shuffle while Ted DiBiase, Jr. would be a main event player. Well, fast forward to December 2011 and Rhodes is the reigning Intercontinental Champion as well as one of SmackDown's most hated heels while DiBiase is stuck in WWE Superstars​-land. What do you think?

Re: Cody Rhodes

DiBiase is stuck in Superstars land? He's in the middle of a push that allows him to be on Smackdown every week. If I'm not mistaken, he hasn't lost in a couple of months as well.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Well, not quite. But DiBiase right now is feuding with Jinder Mahal of all people.

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    United States
    Well its giving both DiBiase and Jinder something to do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Miller View Post
    Well, not quite. But DiBiase right now is feuding with Jinder Mahal of all people.
    Which should be an easy feud to win for DiBiase. He's already been beating random guys the past several weeks, the next step is to win a feud. I get that Cody Rhodes is doing some great things, but DiBiase is no longer that lost soul he was earlier in the year.

If I could say one criticism towards Rhodes, despite bringing back the old IC title, the guy hasn't done jack **** to help the belt. Who has he really ever defended it again? A random PPV match against John Morrison while Morrison was in his losing streak? Rhodes' hot period corresponds with his lame duck title reign.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I think it's been pretty obvious since Cody started the Dashing gimmick in mid-2010 that he was the one that was shining, whereas Ted has been trying to find his feet and get into a role he's comfortable with. Rhodes has essentially run 3 different gimmicks in the last year and a half and has adapted to each one very well and there are big things for him. While he's in a mini-push right now, I can't see Ted getting very far since he's difficult to get behind because he's not that likeable.

I agree with Jim about the Intercontinental title - it's no better now than it was. Probably because he was feuding with Orton, who is apparently above the belt (I hate that) for the majority of his title run.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Cody Rhodes has been the most improved in 2011 because of his wrestling ability, gimmick and he has brought prestige back to the Intercontinental Championship.
    However, Ted Dibiase is also a gifted wrestler but hasn't found his right gimmick yet, i'm not a fan of his 'money' gimmick

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Cody's not really brought prestige to the IC title when he's only defended it about three times on TV and only once since he brought back the new design.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Curtain Jerker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Shockmaster View Post
    Cody's not really brought prestige to the IC title when he's only defended it about three times on TV and only once since he brought back the new design.
    well he's done better than most wrestlers have in recent years with the IC title so i only see it as a good thing for him, i'm new to the forum by the way so hello!

Quote Originally Posted by saintsrlfc95 View Post
    well he's done better than most wrestlers have in recent years with the IC title so i only see it as a good thing for him, i'm new to the forum by the way so hello!
    How has Rhodes been better though? How many times has he even defended the belt? The best thing he ever did for the title was bring back the old belt. Immediately after that, he stopped defending it due to the Orton feud. Guys like Barrett and Zeke may have had poor reigns, but they at least defended the belt.

Welcome to the forum though.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Until he has a full fledged feud over the IC title, I can't give him credit to "bringing prestige" back to it. All of his recent doings have had the IC title just in the background or not mentioned at all. Also I don't necessarily want him to defend it alot, but as long as the title matches aren't random and make sense. Too many times in recent history, they'll just throw random mid carders into matches for the US/IC titles and I can't stand that garbage.

Curtain Jerker

Status

i can see both of your points here so fair play, can see Rhodes being a main eventer in 2012 with the roll he's on

Formerly Chuck Norris

Status

Quote Originally Posted by saintsrlfc95 View Post
    Cody Rhodes has been the most improved in 2011 because of his wrestling ability, gimmick and he has brought prestige back to the Intercontinental Championship.
    However, Ted Dibiase is also a gifted wrestler but hasn't found his right gimmick yet, i'm not a fan of his 'money' gimmick
    Ziggler has improved 100% more than Rhodes in everything you've mentioned above. DiBiase has the potential but I think he's confused by how to get a reaction from the fans. This DiBiase Posse thing is weird but at least like 30 people turn up to them. The videos are just embarrassing though.

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Aspergers View Post
    Ziggler has improved 100% more than Rhodes in everything you've mentioned above. DiBiase has the potential but I think he's confused by how to get a reaction from the fans. This DiBiase Posse thing is weird but at least like 30 people turn up to them. The videos are just embarrassing though.
    More people showed up to see Chris Masters in LA after he got released

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    au=Australia

I would not mind to see Dashing Cody Rhodes be a face.
    What I would like to see is Cody, Ted & Randy Orton reform a Face faction Legacy with Joe Hennig joining the group.

Then we can see a feud with Barrett & his Empire
    Barrett, McIntyre, Gabriel & Mason (hate him as a face)

But i forgot this is the WWE & they just dont know how to book factions no more

Formerly Chuck Norris

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    More people showed up to see Chris Masters in LA after he got released
    Haha! In fairness he did show up at Summerslam axess!

Curtain Jerker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Aspergers View Post
    i actually haven't seen any of the 'dibiase posse' videos yet, what are they like?

Free Agent

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I think Rhodes has an amazing main event future ahead of him. That being said, he needs an extra,,, something.

I think the cocky "dashing"-type character is too generic for him. That, and it's done better by Ziggler (they are similar characters in many regards).

I think Cody needs a slight refocusing. He needs that fire, that dark side a bit more. He needs to be as sinister as he was when wearing the mask, but merge/mix that with this cocky "dashing" character. Have him be a title-hungry, respect driven, dangerous man. Yeah, he knows he is good and knows he looks good, but bring that to the table with a dark edge.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a Patrick Bateman-type character in American Psycho. I think that would fit Rhodes perfectly. It would also separate him from the others.

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Cody Rhodes is gold, Cody Rhodes is dynamic, Cody Rhodes is main event

Dibiases problem although a good wrestler and decent mic man, the gimmick of having all the money doesnt work unless your a heel, if he was a heel and was just randomly acquiring behemtohs and basic jobbers like Clay, Zeke, Reks, Hawkins to do all his dirty work then he could probably make that angle work better than the dull lame ass he has now

The Uncommon One

Status
      Country                    pl=Poland

Cody Rhodes got robbed at the Slammy Awards. He deserved the ''Superstar Transformation'' Slammy Award, not Zack Ryder.

Ted was good in his early years in the WWE, and now he's just kind of there. He became an extremely boring character throwing parties everywhere he goes. Boring. Just plain boring. With his current gimmick, he should be an eternal jobber on NXT/Superstars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information