Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fright Fest 3 - Too Cheap for 3D

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Fright Fest 3 - Too Cheap for 3D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    If you're just watching it for the gore, you should be able to enjoy it. There's nothing quite like watching Santa Claus massacre a bunch of people.
    This is true, but does he PUNISH them?

Even better, does he do it on garbage day?

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Well, there are the naughty kids that get stuffed in bags and taken back to Spain with Santa and his racist elves. I'm pretty sure that's punishment.

No word on whether he did it on garbage day, but if it's anything like the states, garbage pick-up is postponed on holidays. So I'll assume that's a "No".

🔪 Cool·Vegan·Mom·Club 🌻

Status

Man, when I saw the quote about Santa killing people at the top of the page I was immediately interested in today's review! For a second I thought Santa's Slay, and I thought "Does Jim really consider that a horror movie?" but I was pumped to read a review on it! But it wasn't... which is actually a good thing in this case! I got to find out about another horror movie with Santa being a sadistic murder! You were right, Santa is perfect as a murder, I read that Christmas carol in a pretty creepy voice in my head and man am I freaked out right now. I mean how is it that so little people have realized how creepy Santa can really be? Futurama is smart though at least. Still, the fact that it's Norwegian kind of turns me off of it... like how I really wanted to watch Dead Snow but it was German so I just couldn't stand it.

Dead Sno isn't German, it's Norwegian.

What's the problem with a Norwegian or Dutch (Since Saint isn't Norwegian, it's from the Netherlands) film?

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

It's a well known fact that Kak hates Europeans in all forms.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

​​​

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Day #9
    Title: Blood Runs Cold
    Year: 2011
    Director: Sonny Laguna

--------------------------------------------------------------------

After feeling the stress from her career (It's never actually stated, but the impression is that the career is something artistic ie writing, singing, drawing or acting), Winona, heads back to her home town to rent a little house in the middle of the snow covered woods. Initially, things appear to be perfect. Winona is able to enjoy the quietness and she even reconnects with an old boyfriend who introduces her to his friend and his girlfriend. Heading back to Winona's house, the four parties it up with plenty of booze and laughs. Little does Winona or her friends realize that there's a fifth person in the house. By morning, the little house in the middle of the Swedish snow covered woods will be the scene of a bloody crime scene.

If you're like me, you probably didn't even know that Sweden even made horror films up until a few years ago when "Let the Right One In" became one of the most talked about foreign horror films of recent years. Remaining somewhat ignorant on the Swedish horror scene, it seems as if they're attempting to continue their claim of being THE country for new horror. I'm not sure how cheap it is to make a horror flick in Sweden (Let the Right One In was made for a small 4 million), but regardless of the case, I'm blown away with how little Blood Runs Cold was made for. For only $5,000, the entire movie was made. A show of hands, does anyone believe that Avatar's catering bill for one month was less than the total budget of Blood Runs Cold? I know I sure don't.

It's that extremely low budget that you have to take it easy on the movie. With that money, you're not going to be able to hire talented actors, have an amazing script, effects are a bare minimal and don't even dream of CGI. All effects had to be practical and cheap. Despite coming out in the era of the "Let's CGI blood, bugs, and everything else!", Blood Runs Cold is shot similar to a cheap slasher in the 80's. I'm willing to bet a large portion of the budget went towards making fake blood. There's blood alright, lots of it. It's as if the creators of the movie realized that the movie has some serious negatives to it, but the one thing they can do is add extra blood to the kills. Not surprisingly, the death scenes are the best part of the movie. Besides being gory, they're pretty vicious and aren't just your simple "Stab in the chest" routine.

The biggest problem the film has is the script. There's not a whole lot in the movie that actually happens. Clocking in at just over seventy minutes, much of that time is aimlessly moving around for the only purpose of being time filler. Late in the movie, the scene opens with Winona laying on the ground. The killer comes over and drags her so he can hang her by her feet by a rope. After a couple of minutes of Winona trying to escape while the killer does something to a dead body, the killer comes back around and cuts her down and drags her to a new location. What was the purpose of even tying her up? We see the victims running and hiding in a location, waiting a moment, and then coming back out. Instead of focusing on the victims banding together after the first one is killed, we never get that moment. Instead, the first two kills happen within moments of each other, the third comes five minutes later. Finally, Winona is oblivious to all this as she sleeps. The script could have easily been dragged out in a better manner if we had that victims unite subplot that you see in so many horror films.

One thing that has disappointed me with horror in recent years is the need to explain everything. Everything needs a lengthy backstory, a big twist at the end and so on. It's a strange case that when a movie like Blood Runs Cold comes along and doesn't have that, it's both refreshing and frustrating. You see, the killer isn't just some strange man who has a thirst for blood. He has a strange Halloween Resurrection lair under the house, doesn't feel pain (He's both shot and hit with an ax, yet he doesn't sell it) and feeds on the body parts. Isn't that a creature that you'd want to hear a little about? I don't need this huge backstory, but when you make it clear that he's not a normal human being, you can't keep the audience in the dark as long as the guy looks human. If he was a Gollum-like creature, awesome, no need to explain that. The only "Backstory" we get to see is the killer killing some man who had just been in a car accident. This has zero significance to the movie other than giving the movie an opening scene kill. Normally, when this happens, it adds to the plot. Maybe it's something from years ago that impacts a character from today. Perhaps the victim was supposed to show up at a party with the other characters, with his absence being the first warning signal. No, this is simply put a kill for the sake of a kill.

Blood Runs Cold isn't all bad. The director tries to be creative with some different camera angles. As I said, the death scenes tend to be pretty fun. At only seventy some odd minutes, it's not as if you're wasting your whole day watching the flick. A lot of the problems are easily fixable by just adding more content to the script. With a production budget that is so small that in America would laugh at you if you told them you were going to make a movie with it, Sonny Laguna and company still impresses me with what they managed to come up with. There's far worse slashers that cost a hell of a lot more money. Blood Runs Cold proves that anyone can make a horror film if you keep things simple. For that, give Laguna a hand.

Grade: D+ (+ for the production budget)

Moral of the story: Always double check if you're staying at the right house.

Sonny Laguna's favorite wrestler: Glacier

Fright in Motion:

---

Coming up next, only those Japanese could make water scary.
    Last edited by Jim; 09-28-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Actually, I enjoyed this film more due to its flaws than anything else. It really looked like the filmmakers were doing some sort of college project at times, and that appealed to me. Obviously the runtime being short is another bonus, as the film didn't have time to become offensive. I agree with the rating overall though, it was surprisingly entertaining, but wasn't a good film by any stretch. Can't wait to see Japan's entry.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

​​​

🔪 Cool·Vegan·Mom·Club 🌻

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Dead Sno isn't German, it's Norwegian.

What's the problem with a Norwegian or Dutch (Since Saint isn't Norwegian, it's from the Netherlands) film?
    Oops, I mess up my countries a lot. It's just that they're not English, and subtitles are lame.... lol

As for the last movie, it looks terrible by the trailer and all, don't think you even needed to review it, just show the trailer and give it a rating. Lol, but their budget was really low like you said so I commend them on even making the film really, and the last part of the trailer looked kinda cool. Why couldn't this one be not in English and Saint be?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kakarot View Post

Oops, I mess up my countries a lot. It's just that they're not English, and subtitles are lame.... lol

As for the last movie, it looks terrible by the trailer and all, don't think you even needed to review it, just show the trailer and give it a rating. Lol, but their budget was really low like you said so I commend them on even making the film really, and the last part of the trailer looked kinda cool. Why couldn't this one be not in English and Saint be?!
    The copy of Saint I watched (Same goes for the download file) actually has English dub. Practically every foreign movie has an English dub if you get so hung up over subtitles.

🔪 Cool·Vegan·Mom·Club 🌻

Status

Cool, I'll download it later on then!

Day #10
    Title: Dark Water
    Year: 2002
    Director: Hideo Nakata

Yoshimi's life has certainly been better. In the middle of a messy divorce and brutal custody battle, she moves into a new small apartment with her six year old daughter, Ikuko. Things at the new apartment turn a bad situation even worse. A small little water damage on the ceiling leaves a permanent drip in her place. Despite her pleads for help, no one in the building will come and check it out. However, what's the story on the small child that Yoshimi sees around the building? The mysterious child resembles a child that went missing two years ago. Horrifying enough, Yoshimi realizes that the child went to Ikuko's kindergarten and lived in their building. How are the child and the ever growing water problem connected?

Directed by Hideo Nakata of Ringu fame, Dark Water is yet another creepy little girl flick. Coming out ten months before the US remake of the Ring, Dark Water still came out before the US boom where every other horror film was about a creepy little girl. As great of an idea as it originally was, it grew tiresome early on. It is a rather great concept for a movie though. Children are both incredibly innocent, but rather scary too in they're not what you'd expect as something frightful. Ringu's strength came from their creepy little kid, Sadako, being so evil. Regardless of her reasons for being so vengeful, you knew that Sadako's mission was to kill or ruin your life. Mitsuko. the missing child and thus the creepy one, doesn't come off as creepy. She's a spirit that you know went through some major tragedy and thus is haunting the apartment building. By the end of the movie, you know that the poor ghost only wants a mom again. That's not scary at all. It just makes Mitsuko a Japanese ghost version of Bambi. The scares of Dark Water just isn't there compared to Ringu.

Instead, Dark Water relies on being a mindf*ck movie, otherwise known as a psychological thriller. The big question throughout the movie would be "Is Mitsuko really haunting Yoshimi or is it all in Yoshimi's head?" Yoshimi is in such a stressful moment in her life that I'm leaning more towards the latter. We know that at one time, Yoshimi had to have therapy because the novels she was editing were rather disturbing. Could that mental problems still be inflicting her? There's three things affecting her from a mother's point of view, abandonment to be more precise. First, there's the obvious - fear of losing custody of her child. Yoshimi's ex-husband is rather ruthless in trying to win the case. He's purposely bringing up Yoshimi's past of sleepwalking as a child and going to therapy to make him sound better. It's rather despicable, but you can't fault how smart of an idea it is. Secondly, while they're somewhat vague about it, there's some sort of backstory of Yoshimi with her mother. From what I can gather, Yoshimi's mother was a rather lame duck who may have eventually left. This ties directly into Mitsuko. Once Yoshimi sees the missing child signs, she feels a connection towards Mitsuko. She knows that Mitsuko's mother failed to pick her up one day, leaving Yoshimi to walk home alone. That would be Mitsuko's final day alive. She feels for Mitsuko because she's had a mother who abandoned her before and now she's worried that if she loses the custody battle, Ikuko would be forced to be abandoned by Yoshimi as well. If Yoshimi has such a fragile mind as the therapy backstory would let on, I can see her gravitating towards Mitsuko.

My interpretation of the ending is that Yoshimi went for the sure thing. She knew that she was losing the custody battle, so she allowed herself to be taken away by the ghost spirit of Mitsuko. In death, Yoshimi will always be able to act as the mother of Mitsuko. A part of me also believes that that's exactly what Mitsuko wanted. Had Yoshimi not given herself up, Miksuko would have caused the death of Ikuko to make the choice easier. As much as it hurts Yoshimi to give up her daughter, she's gaining a new one in death. It's both heartbreaking and sorta sweet at the same time.

As I said, Dark Water fails to create a truly scary creepy little girl, but they manage to have a great atmosphere and a sense of doom, even if it's never realized. Personally, if I'm going to watch some Japanese ghost movies, I'd rather watch Ringu or Ju-On where there's scares instead of just waiting for scares that never happen.

Grade: C

Moral of the story: Just don't go to Japan, there's creepy dead girls all over the place.

Best hide and seek player ever: Mitsuko

Fright in Motion:

---

Coming up next, an old house has two inhabitants, one of them has been dead for over seventy years...
    Last edited by Jim; 09-28-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I felt the same as you did about setting up scares and then not delivering on them in the film. That's too bad because I felt the premise to this was very interesting and could have easily worked out better in a different filmmakers hands. Nakata is a pretty competent filmmaker as Ringu and his earlier film Don't Look Up can attest to, but for some reason he seems to be going through the motions a lot of the time in this one. It's almost as if he wasn't interested in making this the best film he could. Still, I'd take this over the cruddy American remake any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I felt the same as you did about setting up scares and then not delivering on them in the film. That's too bad because I felt the premise to this was very interesting and could have easily worked out better in a different filmmakers hands.
    The main problem was that we're never sure what the motive is for Mitsuko. Is she vengeful and wanting to cause chaos? If so, she failed miserably. Could she be this figure of tragedy who just wants her story to be revealed? Maybe, but there's not much of a story since she simply fell in the water tank. There just isn't a real motive for Mitsuko to come back as a spirit, on the other hand, this serves as a fine segue...

Day #11
    Title: The Changeling
    Year: 1980
    Director: Peter Medak

Composer, John Russell (Played wonderfully by George C Scott), is struck by the tragic death of both his wife and young daughter due to a car accident. As he looks to move on, he moves to a new city into a historic mansion where he plans on spending his time teaching at the local university. However, it's not long after moving into the beautiful old home that he begins hearing strange noises. At first, they're excusable, assumed to be the result of creaks and moans that any old house may give out. As time goes on, the noises become louder and less inconspicuous. Things turn weird as John finds a boarded up door hiding the staircase to the attic. It's the attic that hides the true secrets of the old mansion. What happened in the old house and what's now living with John?

The Changeling is your typical haunted house story. There's strange noises, a seance, objects are thrown against the wall, people are scared out of their mind and so on. Unlike say...Paranormal Activity where the spirit is only there to cause misery and pain, the Changeling takes the opposite route of having a spirit trying to communicate something through John. Now, that's not to say the spirit isn't angry. After being stuck in the house for over seventy years with it's true still being hidden, the spirit has become angry. If you get in the way of trying to stop the truth from coming out, you're going to die. One poor soul found out the hard way that you shouldn't try and interfere with John's mission of trying to find out what really happened. That's what you call a great ghost. He may not be malevolent, but it will **** you up if need be.

The strengths of the Changeling can be broken down into four categories. First and foremost, there's the mystery of it all.The second half of the film is devoted to John trying to find out the history of the house to determine who's haunting the mansion. Once he finds out who it is, it's a journey to determine how the spirit was killed and what it wants. Clocking in at a little under two hours, it's integral to the success of the movie to have a mystery that is interesting enough to keep watching. After all, no one wants to waste two hours of their day watching an uninteresting flick. At the same time, regardless of how good the mystery is, you need a strong main actor if nearly every scene will involve him. Luckily, George C Scott is amazingly likable as John. This isn't some dime a dozen actor that would have been cast in a recent remake, this is a serious actor. With his low voice and film presence, Scott commands respect. I do feel as if Scott could portray an even more incredible villain.

I'm not sure how young audiences would react to the scares, but I find them pretty damn effective. However, unless you see them on the screen, they will seem incredibly corny. The scariest moment of the movie would be when a child's wheelchair came to life and chased John's love interest, Claire, down from the attic to the first floor. It sounds like a Scooby Doo gag, but they somehow make it work. Since the prop scares are scarce, the scares have to be relied on by the soundtrack. The soundtrack is both simple, but nerve wracking. The sound effects are mostly just loud thuds, bangs and other sounds that helps set the mood. Even the main theme is both haunting, yet beautiful.

As I said, The Changeling is your run of the mill haunted house movie. At the same time, it's a superior film compared to most of the dime and dozen haunted house films. More than that, The Changeling is also a brilliant little mystery film that can appeal to more than just horror fans. Admittedly, it is a bit slow moving early on, but once the mystery kicks in, the time just flies by.

Grade: B

Moral of the story: Never move into a different home. They're always going to be haunted.

Inanimate object Jim wishes came to life: Carmichael Sr's photo

Fright in Motion:

---

Coming up next, the French prove that you should never go along with strangers.
    Last edited by Jim; 09-28-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Nice man, I am glad you decided to take my advice and do The Changeling. I have often considered it one of my favourite horror films since its atmosphere is unmatched by many of its contemporaries. As for scares, I would have to say that the ball bouncing down the stairs did more than enough to frighten me when I was a kid and the scene still comes across genuinely creepy to this day. It is at times a more challenging film than the slasher fare of the day, and so I too often wonder whether younger fans will appreciate its subtle excellence. Hopefully they do, and hopefully a lot of readers check this film out because it is certainly deserving of more attention.

As you mentioned, Scott is incredible in the role and really does bring a lot to the table. The man is easily one of the greatest actors of all time and his performance here is just another example of his quality work. As for a villainous role, he does play Rainbird in Stephen King's Firestarter, and that character is one of the chief antagonists. I'd recommend checking that one out and if you can find it, the film Rage, which he also directed. He doesn't play a villain in that one but I have long considered it one of his finest performances, and that's saying a lot considering I'm comparing it to his excellent work in films like Dr. Strangelove, Patton and The Hustler.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

​​​

Day #12
    Title: Sheitan
    Year: 2006
    Director: Kim Chapiron

On Christmas Eve in France, a trio of three hoodlums party if up in a nightclub. During the night, the one meets up with a pretty bartender while another finds a sexy partier, Eve. After the biggest ignorant jerk, Bart, gets kicked out due to some rather rude behavior, the new group of five heads off to Eve's home out in the country to keep the party going. Once they arrive, things are a bit unusual. Joseph, the housekeeper, is all smiles, but in a creepy sort of way. Due to all three guy's wanting to get laid, they stick it out in hopes to eventually reach their goal. However, as the night goes on, Joesph continues to get weirder and weirder as the friends wonder if they should forget their over-sexualized hopes and get back in the city. By the morning, the true horror of the night would be over with one of the friends realizing what a horrible decision all of this was. For even on the Eve of baby Jesus' birth, the devil is waiting to get you.

After the post-Scream horror boom of the late 90's, it seemed as if every country was trying to stake it's claim as being the country for horror. For France, they laid the groundwork down with Haute Tension, one of the better horrors of the mid 2000's. When it came down to Sheitan, France once again proves that they're serious about becoming the best country for modern horror. Admittedly, most of Sheitan doesn't even come across as a horror film. Instead, it's as if you're watching a highly stylized party flick, but that's the point. With a full hour devoted to building up the characters, the viewer cares about everyone. Sure, Bart may be the biggest asshole of them all, but you kind of understand him. Likewise, Yasmine may be hooking up with another woman's boyfriend, but you can't help but like her. I imagine the purpose of waiting so long to give us the horror is to put ourselves in the shoes of the main characters. It's a part flick goes wrong and that's exactly what it feels like.

Without a doubt, the star of the film is Vincent Cassel. With my vast knowledge of French movies (AKA. Very little), Cassel has to be among the very best of our generation. Whether it's La Haine, Brotherhood of the Wolf of Black Swan, the guy just steals the show with his roles. This time around, the character of Joseph is so damn entertain. The guy is almost always smiling with his top teeth showing. It's a sort of look that you know he's going to end up attempting to kill you, but you don't really worry about that. No, rather, you're more concerned about what the sick freak is going to do with your body after killing you. Cassel's best scene in the entire movie would be a car ride with the friend friends. While a heavy rap song is playing with two of the friends singing along, Cassel finally looks uncomfortable. You can just tell that he's never heard such vile music before. Yet, the guy is still smiling all throughout the ride. It's a small and insignificant scene, but it puts over what an amazing actor Cassell can be when even the script isn't giving him anything to do.

While Sheitan may be low on the actual scares, it serves as an effective cautionary tale. Don't get in the car with strangers, don't go to a home of a stranger and for god's sake, don't stick around a scene where you can feel something is uneasy. Truthfully, it could have used a few more scares to bump the rating up a bit more. However, I cared about the characters, what few scares there was and found vast enjoyment in it all. In the year that gave us The Hills Have Eyes remake, Severance, Wolf Creek, Hostel, The Descent and the drama scare fest that was Hard Candy, I'd be willing to say that Sheitan shouldn't be forgotten in terms of deciding the best horror of the year. With likable characters, a crazed villain that entertains the viewer from the very first scene he's in, Sheitan is yet another example of why France should be kept an eye on in the world of horror.

Grade: B

Moral of the story: I don't care how hot she is, if a girl drinks goat milk from it's udders, run away.

The battle of the creepy smiles: DDP (Circa late 2001/early 2002) vs Vincent Cassel as Joseph

Fright in Motion:

---

Coming up next, the vampire sub-genre begins in a huge way.
    Last edited by Jim; 09-28-2017 at 11:19 AM.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status
      Country                    United States

just caught up on all of them....its one of my favorite things you do sir....btw is Critters coming up by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Booty View Post
    just caught up on all of them....its one of my favorite things you do sir....btw is Critters coming up by chance?
    I hadn't planned on it, but I tend to keep a pretty loosely planned list where add new films or decide against watching others easily. I've been meaning to watch the movie since you (Or at least I believe it was you) suggested that I check the movie out. I'll review it maybe as early as Saturday (Since foreign week ends Friday).

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

yup it was me....we had a PM convo about it....and it is still hard for me to believe you have never seen it

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

France is also responsible for Ils, one of my favourite horrors of the last few years. I have yet to check out Sheitan but I will do so immediately, mainly because Cassel is awesome. Glad to see you review another film I haven't seen yet, and after that praise I feel that it will turn out for the best.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

​​​

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    France is also responsible for Ils, one of my favourite horrors of the last few years. I have yet to check out Sheitan but I will do so immediately, mainly because Cassel is awesome. Glad to see you review another film I haven't seen yet, and after that praise I feel that it will turn out for the best.
    you forget to also tell him he should watch Critters.....

Thread Information