Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: WWN (EVOLVE) General Discussion Thread

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WWN (EVOLVE) General Discussion Thread

I watched Evolve 121 and 122 over the weekend.

- Darby Allin challenging Austin Theory for the title was very good, might just be my favourite Theory match ever because it wasn't overly long and he really took charge as the heel champion. The part of the match where he does his spinning release powerbomb thing 3 times in a row because Darby's back got fucked up early on was great stuff, and when he did it from the top rope, even better. His finisher seemed like a weak way to end things compared to what came before. I expect this to be run again mania weekend.

- Eddie Kingston is doing the lords work having good matches with Anthony 'yawn' Henry and then Angelo Dawkins. At the end of 122, he formed a stable called unwanted with Shane Strickland, Colby Corino and Joe Gacy and attacked some babyfaces. He's made such an impact on this brand in a short amount of time and in taking Gacy and Corino under his wing that have just being doing the short opening matches, it's elevating them up the card and giving them a real presence on the show. Shane looks out of place in it all.

- Adam Cole can't hang in either the workrate or storytelling department to make a return trip to the indies work. The Strickland match was exactly how you'd imagine it would go and then he had the most dull Darby Allin match I can ever recall. The next NXT superstar to appear at Evolve is Velveteen Dream and one of his opponents is going to be Orange Cassidy and AJOXSGOPQW_SDGJPOETJGPSDGHQWRADFIPA that's gonna rule so fucking much to see those two interact. I was happy enough to see Cassidy was being brought in by Evolve, but this is gonna be huge for him to be in a match a lot of people are gonna check out.

- The Street Profits are really good, they closed off 121 with a tag title defence against DJZ and AR Fox, went about 20 minutes and was impressive. But the one takeaway thing from them is that if his in-ring skills continue to improve, the sky is the limit with Montez Ford. He oozes charisma out of every pore and has the makings of being a real star in wrestling. At 122 he took on the WWN Champion JD Drake who I like but don't think is great, and it was really fucking good and he can't of had many singles matches in his career. Ford takes an ass kicking, but has several hope spots and even though he loses, he earns the respect of someone who couldn't be more of a polar opposite to him. He ain't just the guy with the cup who dances around, he can legit fight.

Evolve to me feels like the best promotion no-one is talking about. Once Riddle leaves, 2018 was rough for Evolve because there'd be nothing for me after the Darby matches on the show that looked appealing, but bringing in the NXT boys like the Street Profits, Aichner and the big superstar for a weekend, as well as the great Eddie Kingston has really lifted the place, and guys like Darby, Theory and Drake continue to rise in stock. I do think they just need to scrap the WWN Championship because it's not a deep enough brand to have two singles titles, I'd rather have one title that felt like the ultimate prize on this promotion. Really looking forward to their mania weekend stuff.

WAKE UP

Status

Kingston in EVOLVE feels like 'better late than never'. Will def have to check that out. Remember Allin getting a really good match out of Theory before either were main event level.

Are Swerve, Colby and Gacy any good? I mainly remember Gacy as a trash worker from CZW but that was years ago.

[Joy To The WC]

Status
      Country                    England

Enjoy Kingston whilst you can, he's said this is his last year in wrestling

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread Information