Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Babyface Of The Year Discussion Thread

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

2011 Babyface Of The Year Discussion Thread

This is where you can discuss who we feel is the babyface of the year.

WAKE UP

Status

Re: 2011 Babyface Of The Year Discussion Thread

Will add more but I'd say Rey, Punk and MAYBE Cena in the discussion. Cena's character has kind of been killed the last few weeks but otherwise he'd be the front runner.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I'll say Rey. I agree with Steve about Cena, and Punk is a good face but he's also a dick in storyline too. Rey has been a tremendous sympathetic babyface and guys like Rhodes and Del Rio have really benefited from feuding with him this year (Del Rio unmasking him in MITB and then beating him in San Diego was pretty epic). Plus Rey has been the guy to prep people like Truth and Punk for going into main event feuds against Cena.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Rey or Davey Richards

UP THE HUNGARY
    Peter Gulacsi, Denes Dibusz, Adam Bogdan
    Gergo Lovrencsics, Endre Botka, Adam Lang, Akos Kecskes, Attila Fiola, Willi Orban, Attila Szalai, Bendeguz Bolla
    Loic Nego, Adam Nagy, Laszlo Kleinheisler, David Siger, Daniel Gazdag, Andras Schafer, Tamas Cseri, Filip Holender

Adam Szalai, Roland Sallai, Nemanja Nikolic, Kevin Varga, Roland Varga, Szabolcs Schon, Janos Hahn

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    in=India

what did Rey do the whole year??? Cena should win this

The Whole Fucking Brand

Status
    In a Hovel, underneath a rock............ in Narnia
      Country                    uk_england=England

Rey for me. Good worker, great face.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by heel316 View Post
    what did Rey do the whole year??? Cena should win this
    Put over 3 heels clean on PPV, two of which were mid-carders beneath him in the pecking order? The feud with Cody was one of the highlights of the first half of the year and he's pretty much busted his ass every week despite being banged up, and carried ****ty guys like Truth and Barrett to matches way above their norm.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Rey continues to be the outline for a consistant and reasonable babyface. Punk and Cena have some flaws to their recent characters (100% agree on Cena in recent weeks).

A dark horse for this award is Green Ant. The Flex Express and his versatility has done wonders for his popularity on the indy circuit. Highly unlikely to win BFOTY, but should be a candidate.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status
      Country                    United States

Rey Mysterio. He's been carrying Raw while injured for most of the year.

Spoiler:

Status

I'm going to have to go Randy Orton. He's turned his year back around since moving to SD and put on fantastic matches with not only Christian, but guys like Sheamus, Ziggler, and some others I'm probably forgetting as well. He did this while also staying a very good face in the WWE landscape and being very enjoyable in the ring.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    mx=Mexico

Rey Mysterio for reasons listed already. Rey is an incredible wrestler and a huge role model for kids. John Cena continues to be a fan favorite for the kids. Inside and outside of the ring, his work with charities is unmatched by nearly any celebrity today.

I'd also mention Randy Orton. He's been on a RIDICULOUS run this year. The move to Smackdown was great for him, and I enjoy seeing the new bits of personality he injects into his character.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Easily between Punk and Davey Richards for me.

Davey's title win, though not the same scale as Punk at MITB, was FAR more emotional to me. I was hella pissed off he won, but he convinced me within like 2 minutes after, during his post-match speech that he should be champion. Also, ignoring my own dislike of him, it's insane how over he his with ROH fans. I don't think he's anywhere near as talented, but his popularity with the ROH fanbase is beginning to reach near-Danielson level.

Punk simply has the biggest babyface reaction of maybe the last few years. And that's enough to make him one of the top choices. He also has a much more enjoyable personality than Davey.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

I don't understand the theory that Punk can't be considered because he's been a dick in his segments, I don't see much difference in how Punk stood up against Cena and the top brass of the WWE and how Austin stood up against McMahon when he was a babyface. Marketh said it best, Punk got the biggest babyface reaction all year long and definitely should be considered.

Honourable mentions Rey, Davey, Orton,
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Established Veteran

Status

I honestly can't ignore the rationale behind picking Rey Mysterio. It's got to be him. He wouldn't even be my personal choice, but that's the thing, it's not so much about personal choice as it is accurately determining who should be named BFOTY. In this case, it's hard to make one against Rey Mysterio.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I don't understand the theory that Punk can't be considered because he's been a dick in his segments, I don't see much difference in how Punk stood up against Cena and the top brass of the WWE and how Austin stood up against McMahon when he was a babyface. Marketh said it best, Punk got the biggest babyface reaction all year long and definitely should be considered.
    At this point, I'm not even considering Punk because he was a heel most of the year. There's still four months left, so that's plenty of time, but for now, he's barely been a face for two months.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    At this point, I'm not even considering Punk because he was a heel most of the year. There's still four months left, so that's plenty of time, but for now, he's barely been a face for two months.
    That's a fair point, but take the last two months away from Mark Henry (basically when his big push began, his feuds with Show and Sheamus) and is he the heel of the year?.

I hear what your saying about Punk not being a face until July, but pretty much every Raw since that shoot promo, he's been the focus of Raw and by the time December swings around, hopefully he'll still be at the top of the roster kicking ass on the mic and in the ring. Mysterio on the other hand might not even be back by then.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Put over 3 heels clean on PPV, two of which were mid-carders beneath him in the pecking order? The feud with Cody was one of the highlights of the first half of the year and he's pretty much busted his ass every week despite being banged up, and carried ****ty guys like Truth and Barrett to matches way above their norm.
    Well you pretty much convinced me!

​​​

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    That's a fair point, but take the last two months away from Mark Henry (basically when his big push began, his feuds with Show and Sheamus) and is he the heel of the year?.
    I wouldn't say he would be the heel of the half year either.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I wouldn't say he would be the heel of the half year either.
    I was using Henry as an example given how he's been talked up in the heel of the year thread. Who get's your vote then?
    ​​​​