Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Wrestler Of The Year Discussion Thread

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

2011 Wrestler Of The Year Discussion Thread

This is where you can discuss the best wrestlers of the year.

When the black man talkin

Status

Re: 2011 Wrestler Of The Year Discussion Thread

Orton, Christian, Rey or Bryan. Four big contenders for me, but I think I'll go with Orton so far for reasons I mentioned in the Summerslam Discussion thread. Match of the year candidates against Christian and Punk (I've loved the matches more than most, I think), some fantastic TV matches against the likes of Ziggler, Sheamus, Christian (of course), Kane. He's been really consistent.

Rey and Bryan have carried the company more on TV, Christian has been good on both but Orton has the Punk feud on top of his feud with Christian. So right now I'm leaning towards Orton, but it may change by the end of the year.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Pfffft........ Punk or Riot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Truthfully Duke I probably did a boner at times. I took School after I was held back in the 3rd Grade seriously maybe too seriously at times. I wished I would of enjoyed it a bit more. I think my path is still being made to be honest.

Fantrax Premiership \ Fantrax Division 1

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall

WAKE UP

Status

I will expand much more later but for now I will say Rey, Punk, Hero and Sami should all be considered.

The Whole Fucking Brand

Status
    In a Hovel, underneath a rock............ in Narnia
      Country                    uk_england=England

Punk for me. Great worker, great promos. Just all round great.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    in=India

Punk should win this by a landslide, Cenation member here btw

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Randy Orton, to my surprise, is the current Wrestler of the Year. Solid telelvised matches with Kane, Sheamus, Christian, etc. Two fantasic Pay-Per-View matches with Punk and two fantasic Pay-Per-View matches with Christian. More tolerable than usual. Putting in just as much effort in matches with better opponents. Really good year for Randy,

Punk is my runner-up. He's electrified the wrestling world and has put on a show, but it took him a while in 2011.

Christian, Rey, Bryan, Del Rio, and Sami Callihan are also perfect candidates as well.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

When the black man talkin

Status

I think Punk and Orton both had a slow start to the year, but since Wrestlemania both have been excellent. Punk has had more of a focus in recent months, but while Orton was having classics with Christian at Over the Limit, Punk was sort of just there between the Orton and Cena feuds.

Punk is a better promo and his matches with Cena have been better than anything Orton has done, but Orton has had more really good/great matches all year.

~Phenomenal~

Status

Agree with everything Shockmaster has said, at the moment it's Randy Orton, but if Punk continues to be awesome he could well catch him - a match with Triple H could well help.

The Dude Abides

Status

Is there no one from TNA we could mention? Right off the top of my head I will admit it is difficult, but I'd imagine there has got to be at least a few people from TNA that we could mention. And I got it......Bully Ray. This may not be a popular choice but it is undeniable that he has had an amazing year. Not only has he completely reinvented himself, but he got in better shape, has been wrestling on a much higher level than in the previous few years, and has proven to be the best heel in TNA thus far. He is the prototypical heel that people try to play but don't quite get right. Bully Ray on the other hand has nailed it to the wall, and had great matches and feuds the whole year to boot. I don't think it would really be fair either to downplay the significance of what he has done simply because of where it took place, or because he isn't technically a main eventer. However, I will say that if he is not at least one of the best of this year, he has got to be one of the most improved by far.

I'm just trying to stir the pot a bit and freshen things up, generate a little discussion, and open up our minds to some less obvious answers or candidates. It's easy to simply note the people we've seen in the most high profile feuds of the year, who have been put in the biggest matches of the year, etc....Let's maybe try to find some of the not so obvious answers.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

Last Real Man Hype

Status

I think Eddie Edwards should be up for consideration. Great matches with Daniels, Hero, Roderick (which is a feat for anyone, at this point) and, of course, Davey. Also very good matches with Elgin and Kenny King.

I still need to see his PWG matches, but I've heard positive things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

~Phenomenal~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Game Rage View Post
    Is there no one from TNA we could mention? Right off the top of my head I will admit it is difficult, but I'd imagine there has got to be at least a few people from TNA that we could mention. And I got it......Bully Ray. This may not be a popular choice but it is undeniable that he has had an amazing year. Not only has he completely reinvented himself, but he got in better shape, has been wrestling on a much higher level than in the previous few years, and has proven to be the best heel in TNA thus far. He is the prototypical heel that people try to play but don't quite get right. Bully Ray on the other hand has nailed it to the wall, and had great matches and feuds the whole year to boot. I don't think it would really be fair either to downplay the significance of what he has done simply because of where it took place, or because he isn't technically a main eventer. However, I will say that if he is not at least one of the best of this year, he has got to be one of the most improved by far.

I'm just trying to stir the pot a bit and freshen things up, generate a little discussion, and open up our minds to some less obvious answers or candidates. It's easy to simply note the people we've seen in the most high profile feuds of the year, who have been put in the biggest matches of the year, etc....Let's maybe try to find some of the not so obvious answers.
    I mentioned Ray for heel of the year, because I think his work in 2011 is worth a nomination at least, he's done very well for himself since turning heel. The reason he won't win is because his matches this year don't really stand up again Rey, Punk, Davey, Edwards, Orton, Christian. The last man standing vs AJ was great, but after that there's not many great matches you should go out of your way to watch.

WAKE UP

Status

Ray is the TNA MVP for the year, but has he really had a better year than a guy like Del Rio, who has been good but not one of the best?

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I'd easily take Ray if we were strictly talking about TNA but we're not. Orton is definitely MY wrestler of the year so far. He has had quality matches with a ton of different opponents, has had an amazing series with Christian (which should be over now after that great cage match on Tuesday) and is poised to continue on this upward trend. While I give Punk credit for his work this year, I still feel Orton holds a slight edge over him right now. This could change mind you, there are still four months left in the year.

Eddie Edwards also deserves some strong consideration as does Callahan and Hero.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Christmas Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps
    Get out and kick their ass! Even if its Grandma!

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Orton, Richards, and possibly Edwards & Tozawa. Anyone voting for Punk better write me a damn 7 page essay as to freaking why. He has had some great matches as of late but he surely isn't freaking consistent as anyone else. Really hope he doesn't get the favoritism vote like he did last year for announcer of the freaking year!

That being said, Punk could still steal it but he still ain't no contender over guys that actually do deserve it(Such as Orton).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

WAKE UP

Status

I don't see how Punk HASN'T been consistant. If anything he's as consistant as he's ever been in his career and one of the most consistant guys in the world right now. Honestly don't remember him having a BAD match this year, and very, very few below "good".

Punk's year:
    - GREAT performance at the Royal Rumble where he was easily the best thing on the whole show
    - GREAT performance at EC, where he was easily the star of the main event and again the best thing on the whole show
    - Two really good-great matches with Orton on PPV. The WM match was pretty much a carryjob from Punk, the ER match was more of an equal effort and IMO a sleeper MOTYC to that point in the year.
    - Really good match with Rey at CP
    - A variety of good efforts on TV against pretty much everyone ranging from Rey to Morrison to Truth
    - The whole Cena feud, which had the MOTY at MITB, and the second best match in the WWE this year at Summerslam, with both matches being quite different to each other. They also had 3 very good/great matches on RAW, all that were fairly different, and some strong houseshow matches that have turned up online to boot.

Honestly the only weak matches Punk has had this year was when he was bogged down tagging with the greenest guy on the roster (Ryan), and even that was only for like a few weeks and not Punk's fault. If he gets something worthwhile out of HHH, I think he will be the runaway candidate for wrestler of the year.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 09-13-2011 at 11:00 AM.

ಠ_ಠ

Status

Orton has been far better. I'd say Orton's greatest match is lesser than Punk's but as far as quality performances throughout the year, Orton has been better. Good performance in EC, two great matches against Punk, Punted Otunga, has had what I think is 6 highly great competitive matches against Christian(4 of them reaching **** or above), Punted Otunga, constantly delivering on Smackdown, had great matches with Kane, great matches with Sheamus, Punted Otunga, great match with Ziggler, good match with Cody, and Punted Otunga. What has Punk done? Great match with Cena at Jan 17, two great matches with Orton, sinks to under the radar, had a okay match with Mysterio in my opinion, had two phenomenal matches with Cena, and a awesome match with HHH. Tell me who is better and I was actually being nice not naming all of Orton's greatness. Punk is far better on the mic and getting phenomenal but Orton isn't getting phenomenal, he thinks it for novices. Far and far ahead of anyone else. Plus Punk was aligned with Otunga instead of Punting him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

WAKE UP

Status

I think Orton has had a darn good year, do I'm not going to argue too strongly *against* him, so much as arguing for others. That said I did think Orton had a pretty bad start to the year and only really got to shine once moved to Smackdown. The Miz PPV match stunk.

Underdog

Status

I'ts down to Orton, Punk or Christian. I'd say it's a toss up between Orton and Punk, both deserve the slammy this year... but I see Cena taking it for some reason.

This is the YES Movement

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

The top 3 names that come to mind are Punk, Henry and Orton. Henry's had a fantastic year, getting a title reign. Punk's had a fantastic year, with everyone's attention on him. Orton's had the year of his career, he's had a great year and has put on some great matches. I'd have to say Punk though just because he turned the wrestling world upside down.

Thread Information