Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy Del Rio as WWE Champ right now?

Simply The Greatest

Status

Would you buy Del Rio as WWE Champ right now?

For me, the answer is no. He's a pretty good wrestler, but otherwise, I'm not seeing it. His talking sucks with his bad catchphrase and always talking about destiny. And I know I had this argument with someone a month or two ago, but the crowd doesn't react to him. Go watch his entrance against Punk from this week, or his match against Bourne from last week. Although at this point they have to get him a belt because the company has invested themselves in him. I have a feeling he will become champion on Sunday, but that's besides the point.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: Would you buy Del Rio as WWE Champ right now?

I think it's inevitable that he'll get the belt soon, possibly on Sunday, and he's been booked like a big deal since last year. I'm not thrilled about it though, I think he's one of the most boring and average wrestlers they have. I don't think he's bad, he's just a guy whose weaknesses are masked by the fact he's often wrestling against better wrestlers and his gimmick (and announcer) is great.

Do I buy him as a main eventer? Yes, because he's been booked like a big deal and won the Royal Rumble and the MITB ladder match.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Just Monika... or Yuri

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

To me he's a believeable champ. He just has that larger than life look, personality, and gimmick that's too big for the midcard, and he's a heck of a wrestler too. The E rarely book heels strong, but if Del Rio's allowed to beat guys with his technical savvy and extensive wrestling knowledge, as opposed to cheating to just barely win, he could only go up. I mean, the guy would've been at the Sydney Olympics had Mexico sent a wrestling team (probably would've been the first masked Olympian too), so he's no doubt an accomplished grappler. Now, imagine the ground contests and anatomical chess matches Del Rio could put on with the likes of Swagger, Bryan, or Punk, if given a good 20-30 minute timeframe main eventers usually receive. The IWC usually jizz their pants over that stuff.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

I for one, love Alberto Del Rio.

His gimmick is fresh, he's bringing back the importance of a manager/sidekick (which in my mind can only be a good thing, He has an original finisher (for the WWE) and has already won pretty much the top 2 things you can win which aren't belts. The man is a main eventer, and will be for some time.

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2018 - 20/15/1 - 4th in Regular Season, 2nd Overall

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

I go along with people that say he'll be Champion when they go to Mexico in October for the TV tapings. I thought they did a pretty lame job in having him being foiled twice so easily with his MiTB case. First time, fair enough given the context and that night, second time, too much and made him look foolish.

I think he's hugely over rated in terms of his mic work, in the same way that others used to believe Carlito was wonderful on the mic whereas I always felt he was over rated and just a one trick pony with his mic work. Same feels true of Alberto sadly. His matches are okay, nothing out of the ordinary, but they're building him fairly decently now, getting lots of wins with his submission moves, Ricardo is back too, and he has the "money man" gimmick that Vince loves so much as well (see DiBiase, JBL), so he's getting it soon whether we like it or not.
    A throne is just a bench wrapped in velvet

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I think Edge retiring really threw a wrench into the WWE's plans for Del Rio, and it took him winning MITB to get into the main event scene on Raw, but it's still awkward. The crowd just doesn't seem to care about him at all. Ricardo Rodriguez gets more heat than Del Rio much of the time, and his entrance is more about what car he is driving rather than him coming to the ring for a match. But, with all this, the WWE had him win both the Royal Rumble and MITB, so I think I could see him as a credible main eventer, even though I'm not happy about it.

Established Veteran

Status
    Im buying. I have liked Del Rio since he first came to WWE. As Nash said he has a good gimmick and he is a good main eventer. Also he matches are enjoyable to watch in my opinion. I would much rather see a Del Rio title match than a cena match.

God

Status

How is his gimmick any different than 90% of the heels out there? He's cocky and thinks he's the best. Pretty much every heel has that to some degree. Their is nothing unique or original about his gimmick. Had WWE not put so much effort into him, he'd be struggling to make the midcard scene. He's average at best in pretty much every department.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Normally, I would say "yes." Contrary to what God's saying, I think he's got an above average look (factoring in physique, size, attire, and "handsomeness" for the ladies) and above average ring work (I'll never forget instantly buying into the man in his debut against Mysterio). His music is great, Ricardo is great. He's pretty much got it all...

...except (and it's a big except) he's written off as something of a dolt. The "failing to cash in" post-MITB isn't really what bothers me, but his "it is my destiny" shtick is old. And before it was old, it was already obnoxious. Why? Because we just saw Drew McIntyre doing the same thing for what felt like forever. Whether it's "I am the chosen one!" or "It is my destiny!" or "there is an intangible force at work that justifies me remaining relevant despite an unimpressive record and a lack of momentum" it's a tired way to keep wrestlers from becoming redundant.

Let's face it, had the Punk/Cena thing not been the clear spotlight of the Money in the Bank PPV, many people would be talking about two things (in my mind): Daniel Bryan winning his MITB, and Alberto Del Rio ripping off Rey Mysterio's mask to win his. Now, obviously people are going to talk about who won Money in the Bank, but it's the way that Del Rio accomplished it that impressed me. Great move taking Rey's mask away from him. Given their history together, it was picture perfect storytelling that Rey's mask and its legacy (and thousands of dollars in merchandising) was the one weakness Del Rio could exploit to ensure Rey wouldn't grab the briefcase.

The mask thing was great. But afterwards, when Del Rio came down the ladder with the briefcase... something changed. I didn't feel as entertained as I did during the part with Rey's mask. And not because the match was over. It's because Del Rio is more important and interesting as a character when he has a rival, nemesis, or a "hero" to pester. He's too reliant on his "destiny" stuff, which isn't a destiny to beat any one person, but a destiny to win a World Championship. He's one of two main characters in a story that's not altogether interesting (his destiny to become champ) and all the other characters are bit parts that feel random. The other main character is a championship belt that could change hands at any time. Instead of playing off various wrestlers he could be antagonizing, he is cutting promos around a championship win that is expected to come any time between now and WrestleMania. There's no drama or incentive to care after the first time you hear it.

If they had booked Del Rio consistently from when he debuted up to this point, I would certainly buy him as a champ. But as it stands, he needs to redeem himself and become interesting again first. They could achieve that in a number of ways. Hell, I'm sure they could do it in one night, possibly without it feeling "cheap." I, however, would prefer to see him **** somebody off - be it Rey Mysterio or John Morrison or any number of people - and then have them cost him the championship after he's cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase. Give him someone to promo against, put another main character in the story of Alberto Del Rio and allow him to shine in a feud. After that, I'll be happy to see Alberto Del Rio running around with a title belt. Before that, meh.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status
      Country                    United States

Del Rio has my interest more than anyone on Raw other Punk, Cena and possibly Miz, so yeah good wrestler, great look, music etc. I buy him as WWE champ.

Spoiler:

Jobber

Status

Those who think Del Rio is 'average' are complete fools. Del Rio was givin a gimmick that many have been givin and ran with it. He's perfected that gimmick. For his promo work he's by far one of the best on the roster, though I personally feel the writing could be better for him. I think we need to hear more about his riches and dynasty and about the power he has back in Mexico. Apart from that Del Rio is the complete wrestler and brings somewhat an old-school aura with him that I love. Of course the fancy cars and personal ring announcer help Del Rio, but that stuff is Del Rio. Del Rio wouldn't be Del Rio without those necessities.
    Last edited by Luvage; 08-10-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Best Around View Post
    His talking sucks with his bad catchphrase and always talking about destiny.
    Funny enough, I'm the opposite. His strongest positives is his mic skills, while he's just average (See: Not bad) in the ring. If there's one problem with Del Rio, and I imagine this is why fans may not be as into him as they used to be, it's because he's been in the same spot for such a long time. Since winning the Rumble, Del Rio has been in the temporary spot of being a midcarder who's just buying time until he's given the World Title. As the months go buy, Del Rio keeps getting title shots, but fails to move out of his temporary spot. The poor guy has been having his title win pushed back every time something seems to be certain. I'm afraid the longer they put it off, the less likely it will work out in the eyes of the fans.

Free Agent

Status

I will buy Del Rio as champ, YES. I think he would be a better fit on SmackDown as their champ though. I would love to see him vs Orton. I think they could have a great feud and very good matches. On Raw, is the #2 heel behind Miz. On SmackDown, he could be the #1 heel.

I think Del Rio will be a great champ for the WWE. I'm not a big fan of how he is used right now, but I really enjoy his work and potential for future greatness. And yes, the gimmick is great. He reminds me of some villain from the movies.
    Last edited by Monsoon; 08-10-2011 at 10:19 PM.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I Like Del Rio but like a couple others have said I think he needs to be booked more consistant again before I can really buy him as a Champ. I dunno I mean I can see him as one one day but It just seems like WWE really dropped the ball on him since Mania. I think Edge retiring really dented WWE's plans, Chances are they probably wanted to push Christain/Edge V Del Rio for the SD summer storyline but had to scrap that and thus Del Rio basically got left in Limbo because the probably felt he wasn't over enough to be the main guy on SD (Hence Orton moving) so they can try build him up again on Raw and try to make him face Cena & SummerSlam but then Punk became hot property and WWE chose to ran with that instead again Leaving Del Rio high and dry. Just reckon WWE needs to build him up again tbh.

The Kliq 4-Ever

Status

In a few months.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Best Around View Post
    For me, the answer is no. He's a pretty good wrestler, but otherwise, I'm not seeing it. His talking sucks with his bad catchphrase and always talking about destiny. And I know I had this argument with someone a month or two ago, but the crowd doesn't react to him. Go watch his entrance against Punk from this week, or his match against Bourne from last week. Although at this point they have to get him a belt because the company has invested themselves in him. I have a feeling he will become champion on Sunday, but that's besides the point.
    I couldnt disagree more...Btw DID you watch raw? The Crowd was dead all Night. I really hope they never go back to that city. It should be on the "NEVER COME BACK HERE AGAIN" list

As far As ADR goes He's definitley a credible WWE champion when his time comes, charismatic, above average in the ring. Hell who can we be to say he isnt when JOHN CENA is a Multiple time champ and the dude is horrible in the ring and who honestly thinks hes charismatic..he hasnt been entertaining since his heel gimmick

Squash Fodder

Status

For me he was one of two guys who didn't have to suck me into him being a main eventer by accomplishment alone in the last 3 or 4 years. For me him and Sheamus are credible champs at any point in time just due to their aura. Does Del Rio through sheer appearance look like a main eventer? Absolutely. But it is more than that especially with Sheamus, it is a way of moving, a sort of ownership of the ring presence wise.

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
    I will buy Del Rio as champ, YES. I think he would be a better fit on SmackDown as their champ though. I would love to see him vs Orton. I think they could have a great feud and very good matches. On Raw, is the #2 heel behind Miz. On SmackDown, he could be the #1 heel.
    Yes, a key point for me too. He's not been the same on Raw as the star he looked like on Smackdown.

Free Agent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Yes, a key point for me too. He's not been the same on Raw as the star he looked like on Smackdown.
    I wish they would find a way to have Del Rio "cash in" on the SmackDown Champ. I'd just have him cash in after the WHC match at SummerSlam and win that title (it's a work, so it is possible for the Raw MITB winner to "cash in" on the SD Champ, let's not get into another conversation about that).

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status

We're also discussing a guy winning the title who lost clean in just 4 minutes on free tv this week. Very strange booking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information