View Poll Results: Who would you like to see Punk face at Mania?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Undertaker

1 7.14%
  • Chris Jericho

2 14.29%
  • Triple H

0 0%
  • Stone Cold

11 78.57%

Thread: Best possible opponent for Punk at Mania?

Underdog

Status

Best possible opponent for Punk at Mania?

CM Punk's immense rise to stardom has seen Punk's status within the company change from Main event heel to arguably the top face of the company (along with John Cena), and with Wrestlemania still several months away, assuming he continues to generate a lot of buzz and his push contains the same steam leading up to the event, Punk should face a big time caliber opponent, similar to how Cena is facing The Rock. So having said that, that leaves (imo) only four possible opponents.

CM Punk vs. The Undertaker: With The Undertaker going for his big 20-0 milestone this next Mania, I feel as if Punk (besides Cena) is the only member of the current roster big enough to take on The Phenom. With Taker and Punk having a little bit of real life heat, I feel as if this feud could play off some of the altercations the dirtsheets have been reporting.

CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho: *********** has just reported that this match is a huge possibility for the event, following Chris Jericho's shocking tweets about Punk late last night. Two Wrestlers who are considered the best in the world, facing off for bragging rights, of course the match would be extremely entertaining, but the promo's could be some of the best back and forth exchanges we have ever seen.

CM Punk vs. HHH: The seeds have definitely been planted for this match with the past couple Monday Night Raw's. and to be completely honest, I would be shocked if this match did not happen. We've seen last night, just a glimpse of how great a feud between the two could be. Punk and HHH have been reported to have huge animosity towards each other backstage, with the two individuals containing similar pompous, and smug attitudes. Punk vs. HHH could very well be the next Austin vs. VKM, except this time the boss is more than capable of handling his own in the squared circle.

CM Punk vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin: Lastly, this leads to the match everyone is dying to see. Another huge potential money maker, two guys who've had backstage encounters on RAW and have been exchanging words via Twitter, two guys who have such different lifestyles but such similar characters. CM Punk vs. Steve Austin could very well be one of the biggest matches Professional Wrestling has seen in quite some time, of course due to Austin's health the match would be limited in the ring, but the build up would be tremendous and the match itself would have an aurora and electricity that would rival Rock vs. Cena

Out of those four possible candidates, who do you think is the best possible opponent for CM Punk?

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Re: Best possible opponent for Punk at Mania?

None of the above. Have Punk become the Undisputed WWE Champion by defeating Cena and hold it until 'Mania, when Bryan Danielson cashes in his MITB in what will undoubtedly be a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Austin. The other three matches I've seen before. I'm sure they would all be great, but to have a one off special at Mania (I'm sure Punk would still get a decent match out of Stone Cold) before Austin gets to the age when it wouldn't be at all feasible would get my vote. Jericho-Punk I feel like I've that a LOT. Hunter-Punk could give us the best match quality, whilst Taker I suppose would be my second choice given similar reasons of a limiting window of chance to Austin.
    A throne is just a bench wrapped in velvet

Don

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Jericho: Jericho would be perfect to put on a show stealing match aganist Punk. Two of the best on the mic at the moment aganist each other would make the bulid up immense. Jericho is just as talented in the ring as Punk and they both have simlar styles. It would be brilliant.

Free Agent

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Gotta be Jericho. Austin would be a dream match and would be my second pick for Punk at Mania, but a Jericho match and feud would be that much BETTER. Austin would be a babyface, Punk would be a babyface. It would sell, but I would prefer a face vs heel. The battle for the Best in the World.

CM Punk vs Chris Jericho. The promos would be classics, the feud could be amazing, the match would be LEGENDARY.

WAKE UP

Status

The atmosphere of Austin returning to the ring on it's own would be enough to put it ahead of any of the potential other matches.

Jericho and Punk have faced a dosen or so times before and it was always "good tv standard match" than anything special.

Taker is probably similar physical shape to Austin, but wouldn't be as special as they've faced before and Undertaker's WM matches are kind of telegraphed now.

Not sure why anyone would pick HHH.

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh. View Post
    None of the above. Have Punk become the Undisputed WWE Champion by defeating Cena and hold it until 'Mania, when Bryan Danielson cashes in his MITB in what will undoubtedly be a classic.
    Bryan's briefcase is for the WHC not the WWE title.

Spoiler:

Purely And Simply Evil

Status

Austin, hands down. It'll never happen, but it's a dream match.

Credit to Fuji Vice for the sweet sig

Jobber

Status

Stone Cold. A bad ass Straight Edge, against a bad ass drunken. Quoted from CM Punk concerning this feud, "You'd have to try real hard to **** it up"

Free Agent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Death Dealer View Post
    Bryan's briefcase is for the WHC not the WWE title.
    I'm not sure the MITB cases are brand specific necessarily. I mean they never actually said the cases were brand specific as a hard rule. With that said, no way Bryan "cashes in" on Punk or Cena.

No matter what why they go, you can't go wrong with any choice vs Punk.

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
    I'm not sure the MITB cases are brand specific necessarily. I mean they never actually said the cases were brand specific as a hard rule. With that said, no way Bryan "cashes in" on Punk or Cena.

No matter what why they go, you can't go wrong with any choice vs Punk.
    They haven't said you can't use them on either title, but they always made it a point to mention leading up to MiTB that the SD one was for the WHC and the Raw on was for the WWE title.

Spoiler:

Squash Fodder

Status

It's really hard to pick between Jericho and Austin on this one. I think both could be great, one for the aura and one for the quality.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Death Dealer View Post
    They haven't said you can't use them on either title, but they always made it a point to mention leading up to MiTB that the SD one was for the WHC and the Raw on was for the WWE title.
    This is all believing that WWE really care that much about continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Squash Fodder

Status

That's been a personal WWE dream match of mine ever since Bryan debuted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

This is all believing that WWE really care that much about continuity.
    This is true.

Spoiler:

Internet Favorite

Status

Austin, it's really no question for me.

Undertaker.....a HELL NO. We've seen that and they completely screwed it over and had Taker more or less bury Punk. HHH would be cool but again I feel it would probably be HHH first big feud since being back on tv and usually that means HHH would go over. Now I think if Punk went over I'd be all for it. Especially against Taker.

Jericho is intriguing, and would no doubt mean great match and great back and forth mic work, but compared to Austin it just doesn't have the feeling of a Wrestlemania match that CM Punk vs. Stone Cold would.

Thread Information