Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The LIVE! Thread...

Save What You Love

Status

Re: The LIVE! Thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    I was pretty stoked for the Alter Bridge line up too, but like Raiz, I'll be watching Frank Turner instead. Gigs with mates > gigs on your own.
    Depends on the gig mate.

I went to see City & Colour on my own once and it was A-Mazing. But then, last time I went with friends and it was better... Alright. Shut up.

I should probably reply to your PM too, totally forgot.

Ole!

Status

I'm seeing the Darkness on my own but Alter Bridge i'll be meeting a few mates

RIP Bradley

Save What You Love

Status

You'll make friends at The Darkness. It's impossible not to.

I love going to gigs and making friends. I went to Hell Is For Heroes once, and bumped into a few guys I recognised from the clubs I used to frequent. We had a couple of mutual friends but had never really spoke to each other. I asked if they minded me hanging out and now two of them are people I consider brothers. Seriously close friends. Great night out too.

WAKE UP

Status

I tried to get tickets to see Turner in London, but they were sold out.

I have never been to a gig on my own before. I have to imagine it's a little weird atleast. Do many people go to gigs alone? I'm seeing Devin Townsend on the 10th on my own, not sure what to expect really.

Ole!

Status

I nearly always go on my own or meet people i know at the gig.

Went to iron maiden on my own and this really pissed guy started trying to talk to me and i just pretended i was foreign and he left

RIP Bradley

Save What You Love

Status

Weird? Definitely. Awkward? Sometimes.

It can be a lot of fun cos you can just do whatever the **** you like. No one around you telling you not to dance like a moron cos you're embarrassing them, or making you dance like a moron cos you're embarrassing them.

It's also good fun when people notice you're alone and wander over to chat. Assuming they're not insufferable bores of course.

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Save What You Love

Status

Not hugely, Tommy.

I like them, but don't know enough to make a real opinion, or to pay for a ticket.

Tommy Got Hacked

Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

Save What You Love

Status

I'm going to see Rise Against alone dude, I'll always go see a band I like if I like them enough, even alone.

Ole!

Status

Iron Maiden were epic too when i saw them this year, first time too.

RIP Bradley

[Blank Space]

Status
      Country                    UK

So the Alkaline Trio tour has been postponed. Gutted.

Apparently, I'll be out in Bristol the night Rise Against (btw, with support from TOM F'N MORELLO) are performing there so I'm sorta hoping I randomly bump into them somewhere. Hey, a guy can dream, right?

Save What You Love

Status

It could happen Dave, depending on where you go, obviously.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    us=United States

AHHH the Dropkick Murphys are doing a tour with Frank Turner. Places in Mass, Conn and one place in Long Island.

Save What You Love

Status

Gaddammit!! Why can't that tour come over here!!

Still, we get Frank and Against Me! so I'm not complaining.

Anyway, I went to see Rise Against and Black Dynamite last week...

Rise Against
    Manchester O2 Apollo
    Saturday 5th November 2011

I decided to skip the support acts in favour of drinking with some friends that were headed to the Flogging Molly show down the road, and while I should regret it, I don't. I can check out The Polar Bear Club anytime, and Tom Morello's solo stuff isn't something that excites my senses (at least, not having listened to it, it doesn't).

I arrived just as Morello finished and had time to get myself a couple of drinks and a nice position in the crowd, who were much more varied than I expected and incredibly excitable. The sound as the band came on was, to be frank, ****... And whether that was down to the venue, the sound engineer or the fact that Rise Against are a sloppy as **** live band, I couldn't say, but the drunker I got the better they were, and what they lack in "tightness" they make up for in bundles with personality, charisma and chemistry (both with each other and the audience).

All your favourites were aired, and while I know that I had a great time screaming my lungs out along to "Help Is On The Way", I honestly couldn't tell you what was played and when; except for when the band disappeared for acoustic renditions of "Swing Life Away" and "Hero Of War" which were both beautifully performed and had the entire crowd singing along to spectacular effect.

All in all, the sound and technical difficulties aside, this was the best time I have ever seen the band live and even though I was alone (and wasted) I still managed to have a great time singing and dancing with the group in front of me, who were a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with for the evening.

8.5/10

Black Dynamite
    The Retro Bar, Manchester
    Monday 7th November

Again, I avoided the support. Unfortunately for them this was my friends 1,500th gig so we spent the majority of the show upstairs drinking waiting for Black Dynamite to perform as they are friends of his.

The video above is their only one, or else I would've put it in the Video section with it's own thread. They were a helluva lot of fun to watch and Pollitt (vocals and guitar) is a brilliantly charismatic frontman. The group is tight and brings to mind a lot of bands that don't generally fit together in my eyes; Foo Fighters, Green Day, NOFX, Husker Du (who I'll admit to not knowing much by). Quite simply though, they're fun to watch and have some great songs to dance to.

Ole!

Status

The Darkness w/Crown Jewel Defence and Foxy Shazam.

Crown Jewel Defence - 0/10

The only way to really describe these is Brokeback Mountain with glitter and the music wasn't much better, seemed like a generic emo band really, didn't interest me at all.

Foxy Shazam - 0.5/10

Again, just awful, the lead singer did have an exceptional voice but ruined it with his stage antics and was quite rightly boo'ed during their performance and all were mega mashed out of their heads.

The Darkness - 10/10

Finally, after sitting through the **** of the support bands came the main event and they didn't disappoint, even played a Queen cover of Tie Your Mother Down and Street Spirit by Radiohead. It had just such a different feeling than seeing them at download which really made the performance exceptional, we event got Justin walking through the crowd on a security guys shoulders whilst playing his guitar. Played a really good set and even got their christmas song thrown in and made it snow during that
    If they were playing again this weekend in Newcastle, i'd certainly go again.

RIP Bradley

[Blank Space]

Status
      Country                    UK

Frank Turner - Newport 23/11/11

Some quick thoughts from last night, firstly Against Me were scheduled to support but the lead singer had lost his voice, so Emily Barker & The Red Clay Halo were bumped up to support. And they did a good job at that, they have a free download on their website if you wanna check them out. They complement Frank's sound very well, so much so they regular popped up during his set to help out with backing vocals and whatnot.

Franz Nicolay opened but I completely missed him.

So Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls. An absolutely amazing set, I never realised the strength of his back catalogue until last night. It took a good 6/7 songs until they got to a song I didn't know the words to. Best songs by far were "Love Song & Ire", "I Knew Prufrock Before He Was Famous", "Long Live The Queeen", "I Am Disappeared" & "I Still Believe". We were alos treated to new song "Cowboy Calls" and and cover of Queen's "Somebody To love" (timely), so all in all, an excellent night.

Ole!

Status

Theory Of A Deadman/Black Stone Cherry/Alter Bridge - 26/11/11 Newcastle

Theory Of A Deadman - 8/10

Hadn't listened to a whole lot of their stuff despite having all their albums on my ipod, very good opener.

Black Stone Cherry - 8.5/10

Again very good, about the 2nd or 3rd time i've seen them now and always good live.

Alter Bridge - 9.5/10

Can't fault them really except for the crappy light wall behind them, played everything i knew and i was fairly close indeed:

RIP Bradley

Save What You Love

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Frank Turner - Newport 23/11/11

Some quick thoughts from last night, firstly Against Me were scheduled to support but the lead singer had lost his voice, so Emily Barker & The Red Clay Halo were bumped up to support. And they did a good job at that, they have a free download on their website if you wanna check them out. They complement Frank's sound very well, so much so they regular popped up during his set to help out with backing vocals and whatnot.

Franz Nicolay opened but I completely missed him.

So Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls. An absolutely amazing set, I never realised the strength of his back catalogue until last night. It took a good 6/7 songs until they got to a song I didn't know the words to. Best songs by far were "Love Song & Ire", "I Knew Prufrock Before He Was Famous", "Long Live The Queeen", "I Am Disappeared" & "I Still Believe". We were alos treated to new song "Cowboy Calls" and and cover of Queen's "Somebody To love" (timely), so all in all, an excellent night.
    Frank Turner
    O2 Apollo, Manchester
    Saturday 26th November 2011

We missed the opening act; Emily Barker & The Red Clay Halo, but we arrived just before Against Me! took to the stage. It was a very straight forward set, opening with "White Crosses" and ploughing through a good dozen of so tracks without a single word spoken to the crowd other than to thank Frank for taking them on tour with him. With any other band it may have felt like they were being aloof and distant, but the material that they played spoke at loud volumes for itself. The only disappointment for me was that "Because Of The Shame" didn't get aired.

What cam next was an experience that I will never forget, Frank Turner; possibly my favourite artist of all time, walked onstage (with his backing band; The Sleeping Souls) as the opening brass to "Eulogy" piped through the venues sound system. He stood behind the microphone, and in perfect syncronisation, he, and several hundred people stood before him, burst into rapturous song... This was a running theme for the night. It was rare that a song was played that the entire crowd didn't sing from start to finish along with the man onstage and it's clear to see why the Manchester date was the first of the tour to sell out. Frank's always been well received in this town and it's clear that he appreciates that respect and admiration and reciprocates completely. As he said prior to playing "Wessex Boy", he may be a "dirty southern sissy" but he will always be welcome in Manchester.

Much like at Dave's gig, Queen's "Somebody To Love" was played, in our case it was used to end his set (pre-encore, of course) and we were treated to a new song... Two in fact, neither of which were named from what I remember, but both were well placed; the first mid-set, the second as the opener to the encore.

All the songs you would expect to get a showing turned up, and I thankfully survived the entirity of "Long Live The Queen" without breaking down in floods of tears. "The Ballad Of Me And My Friends" and "Photosynthesis" ended to show proper and the sing-a-long continued to the very end. I then wandered to the merch stand and spent £70 on t-shirts and a hoodie... Expensive night, but well and truly worth every single penny.

9.5/10

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Ahhh both shows so pretty awesome. Like I said a few posts above, he's coming here doing a little tour supporting Dropkick Murphys in March. At the moment I'm trying to see if any of my friends would want to go out and see him. I would rather see Against Me over the Dropkick Murphys but they're awesome too.

Thread Information