Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The LIVE! Thread...

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Re: The LIVE! Thread...

Sounds like a good time to me.

I'll check 'em out when I get home and see if I like it, then figure out who's on at the same time and make a decision.

I'm proper pumped about going to Leeds now!!

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

So I went to Leeds Festival yesterday... Had a great time. Not been since 2009 and I'm gutted I didn't go for the full weekend (mostly because Frank Turner played two sets on the Friday and I adore him).

I got there in time to see Title Fight on the Lock Up stage and I've got to say, I was massively underwhelmed. They have some decent recorded material but live they are utterly terrible. It's nothing to do with the band as a unit, they were tight and energetic, but the sound was really bad and for a band with two vocalists I was impressed by how little talent either man had at using their voices. Really bad start to the day.

After that Teenage Bottle Rocket entertained me thoroughly with a set of incredibly similar, but bloody fun, songs. I'd never heard of them before, but I've been assured that they are partially responsible for the pop-punk revolution in the early to mid-nineties so I have them to thank for bands like The Offspring and Green Day. They're definitely as fun live.

I was on my way to being very drunk by this point (yes, already) and letlive. ripped me a new one by being a stunning and insane cacophony of brilliance. The lead singer might actually be clinical nutso though. He flung himself all over the shop, including into the drum kit... Twice.

Anyway, work is calling so I'll continue this account of my epic day in a field later...

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    Germany

Just got tickets to see Frank Turner in November. It was him or Alter Bridge on the same night, and due to fact I could get people to go to this one as well, Frank wins.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Internet Favorite

Status

Few weeks ago I caught a pretty good concert at the Orbit Room in Grand Rapids

Anchored

They opened the show they reminded me of a bad version of Saliva but they are far from the worse band i seen live. Only song I like was when they sang a song called Dirty in Texas and changed it to Dirty in Grand Rapids.

Cold

Well meeting a few of them before the concert we found out that Scooter had food poisoning and was resting on the bus. They came out and even though Sam(drummer) had a limp and Scooter didn't feel well they still put on a pretty damn good performance. If you watched Scooter during the set you could see he wasn't fully himself but still put on an awesome performance.

Volbeat

Ok I will admit it I went to see Cold they are one of my favorite bands and my buddy who I went with is like a gigantic Volbeat fan so we went to this concert. Before the concert I only really knew one song from them(Fallen). They put on a really good damn set. I moshed some I even crowd surfed a few times the 2nd time during Rebel Monster I was crowd surfing and got to the front and was in a sitted position in front of Mr Paulson for like 30 seconds until security grabbed me. During "Thanks" he allowed about 30 people on stage.

Also getting to watch Volbeat's sound check before the concert and meeting them was really cool. They werent like most bands during a meet and greet they signed took pics and talked to each fan for a few minutes.

Overall this concert was amazing i would recommend anybody to go see it

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I've just got hold of all four of Chuck Ragan's solo studio albums (four in total) and I'm giving them a listen to cos my friend has managed to find himself with a spare ticket for the Manchester show in a couple of weeks. Good stuff so far, I can see this turning into a mass sing-a-long. So that's Chuck Ragan (of Hot Water Music), City & Colour, and Frank Turner in the next three months... I'm all over the acoustic scene right now!

[Your Name]

Status

Chuck Ragan is the Revival Tour, right?

Got tickets sorted for 3 Doors Down in March next year, support by Seether.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    So I went to Leeds Festival yesterday... Had a great time. Not been since 2009 and I'm gutted I didn't go for the full weekend (mostly because Frank Turner played two sets on the Friday and I adore him).

I got there in time to see Title Fight on the Lock Up stage and I've got to say, I was massively underwhelmed. They have some decent recorded material but live they are utterly terrible. It's nothing to do with the band as a unit, they were tight and energetic, but the sound was really bad and for a band with two vocalists I was impressed by how little talent either man had at using their voices. Really bad start to the day.

After that Teenage Bottle Rocket entertained me thoroughly with a set of incredibly similar, but bloody fun, songs. I'd never heard of them before, but I've been assured that they are partially responsible for the pop-punk revolution in the early to mid-nineties so I have them to thank for bands like The Offspring and Green Day. They're definitely as fun live.

I was on my way to being very drunk by this point (yes, already) and letlive. ripped me a new one by being a stunning and insane cacophony of brilliance. The lead singer might actually be clinical nutso though. He flung himself all over the shop, including into the drum kit... Twice.

Anyway, work is calling so I'll continue this account of my epic day in a field later...
    So, to continue my tale....

Next up were the Street Dogs. I'd never heard off them before, never mind heard them but there set continued to lift my spirits and they reminded me a lot of Bouncing Souls, except, y'know, good live.

BoySetsFire played after them, and were kind of underwhelming. Even "After The Eulogy" lacked the power it does on record. Disappointing, but certainly not as bad as Title Fight, earlier in the day.

It was Comeback Kid that really got things going. It's the second time I've seen them this year (as well as ever, if my memory serves me correctly) and it's the second time I've been blown away by the energy they emit as they career through an absolutely crushing back catalogue of hardcore brilliance.

After that, I wander (or more, stumbled) out of the Lock-Up Tent and into the harsh daylight for food and Jimmy Eat World, but I was back within fifteen minutes. Jimmy are one of my favourite bands in the world, but they do not suit the middle of the day at a festival. Especially when you've been treated to some great pop-punk and intense hardcore, they just can't keep up the tempo without a full-on best off set, and that's not what they did this day.

Leftover Crack were on back in the tent when I got back, and while I'm all for shouty, fast punk, Leftover Crack leave me a little bemused. They do have some hot female fans though... Man, I do love a lady with a mohawk!

It's been a hell of a long time since I saw Capdown play a show, and I've got to say, they don't make bands like this anymore. It's ska, it's punk, it's passion, it's what a live band should be... Exciting!!

I stick around for The Bronx, because I don't fancy wandering off on my own while my friends stay they. I'm not a Bronx fan, but this is easily the best time I've seen them (and I've seen them more times than I care to remember). Sure, my opinion may be a squiffed due to copious amounts of alcohol and the glow of festival going with some of my closest friends, but credit where it's due, The Bronx put on a good show tonight.

It's The King Blues though, who I'm most excited for. The bands political views aside (some of which I agree with, some of which I don't) Itch writes great and moving lyrics, and the band play with a passion and belief in what they're doing. It's something that's missing from a lot of music these days and something that needs to come back.

With King Blues over I head home, catching some witty banter from Jarvis Cocker on the main stage as I head for my bus. Dazed, confused, and very very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Chuck Ragan is the Revival Tour, right?
    It is, aye... Some other guys are playing, but I'm clueless as to who they are.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Got my Rise Against tickets. So pumped the concert is exactly a week from today. The opening band seems to be The Black Pacific, never really heard of them until I found that out. Jim Lindberg from Pennywise and guitarist Marc Orrell from Dropkick Murpheys are in it. So far I'm really enjoying what I found of them on Youtube. Should be a great fantastic night with two great bands.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I'm looking into tickets for Rise Against when they play here in November... It's hard to decide, on one hand, it's one of my favourite bands, but the other I can't really afford it and they're in a venue that I think is waaaaaaaay too big for them and the sound will get lost.

Meanwhile, I'm checking out the support acts on the Revival Tour, Brian Fallon from The Gaslight Anthem, Dan Andriano from Alkaline Trio, and Dave Hause from Paint It Black (who melted my face when I saw them a few years back). This is starting to look like a sleeper hit.

Gamblin' With Souls

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Dave Hause from Paint It Black
    Dave Hause is from The Loved Ones mate.

Just like to echo others praise for Chuck Ragan. To be a member of a fantastic punk rock band in Hot Water Music and be as good solo is quite an achievement.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Last night I caught Rise Against at Northern Lights, which is a bar thats maybe 30mins from where I live. Pretty much the greatest night of my life. Not that big of a place maybe 100-150 people max. Just being so close to them and with so much energy all right there. The lead singer Tim McIlrath was even talking about it, coming off a big tour with the Foo Fighters, and playing bigger stadium something just gets lost in air, and the place we were at everyone was right there singing at the top of the lungs along with the band.

The two other bands that were there were pretty cool. The Black Pacific with Jim Lindberg from Pennywise along with Marc Orrell formerly of Dropkick Murphys. And another band I didn't hear of until last night called White Wives. They consisted of the two Chris from Anti Flag.

If you're into Rock and Punk Rock music all three bands are worth checking out if you haven't already.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Dave Hause is from The Loved Ones mate.

Just like to echo others praise for Chuck Ragan. To be a member of a fantastic punk rock band in Hot Water Music and be as good solo is quite an achievement.
    Yeah, I know that Dave is from The Loved Ones, but he used to be in Paint It Black and I don't know anything by The Loved Ones but saw him with Paint It Black... Hence my mentioning it.

This gig was last night in fact and it was really, really good. They started out with all four guys on stage and basically what happened was they went through four songs (one by each guy) with the other three simply providing backing and then they all wandered on and off stage at will playing and entertaining the crowd. Their was a structure, but no set times, just "8PM - Music starts, 11:30PM - Curfew" (as the time sheet said).

Once they got the introductions out of the way, Dave Hause played a few on his own, and then had all three other guys join him individually for a few songs. Like I said, I don't know any Loved Ones stuff, but I've been listening to his solo stuff all week and really enjoying it, so I'll be checking The Loved Ones out as soon as possible.

Following that, Chuck came on for his set... The bad thing about the set up was that it meant if you needed to pee or get a drink you'd miss a bunch of songs. As it turned out this happened to me with Chuck and I only got to see half of his set. What I did see was spectacular though, he really is a phenomenal live performer and clearly a massive dude for setting this all up.

Dan Andriano was after Chuck (I assume it was set up this way by gauging whose band is biggest, Alkaline Trio are bigger than Hot Water Music and so on) and while I really like his solo stuff, and think his style suits the acoustic method far better than it does the pop-punk that he produces with Skiba, his set was the least impressive of the night.

I missed the opening of Fallons set to do another urinal run, but he was very subdued and understated. Mostly it was his solo stuff from his current record (by The Horrible Crowes, I believe) that I've yet to hear, but he was entertaining nonetheless and the encore, with everyone back on stage running through another song each as a full band was brilliant.

A great night of music, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lghikas View Post
    Last night I caught Rise Against at Northern Lights, which is a bar thats maybe 30mins from where I live. Pretty much the greatest night of my life. Not that big of a place maybe 100-150 people max. Just being so close to them and with so much energy all right there. The lead singer Tim McIlrath was even talking about it, coming off a big tour with the Foo Fighters, and playing bigger stadium something just gets lost in air, and the place we were at everyone was right there singing at the top of the lungs along with the band.

The two other bands that were there were pretty cool. The Black Pacific with Jim Lindberg from Pennywise along with Marc Orrell formerly of Dropkick Murphys. And another band I didn't hear of until last night called White Wives. They consisted of the two Chris from Anti Flag.

If you're into Rock and Punk Rock music all three bands are worth checking out if you haven't already.
    I bought my Rise Against tickets last week. Really quite excited about that.

I've now got Gym Class Heroes and The Skints, City & Colour, Rise Against and Frank Turner lined up. Very happy bunny.

No

Status

Last night I just had the greatest concert of my life. I got to see Arctic Monkeys (again, second time in 6 weeks) and I was literally 5 feet away from Alex Turner the entire set. Suffice it to say by the end of the night I was drenched in sweat from sheer movement the entire night. I can't describe it, it was perfection.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Sounds much better than what I did on Sunday night...

I went to see Gym Class Heroes and the sound was awful. The openers were called something like Random Pulse, from London, and they were trying to be a reggae punk party band and they just could not find focus at all. I liked what they were attempting to do, but they were failing at it in a pretty epic way... Which was a shame.

I was there for the main support more than GCH though. The Skints are one of my favourite bands, but after a 30 minute soundcheck, the sound was still dodgy and about half way through their set they started playing new songs that simply don't have the power or resonance as their older material. Not airing "Bright Girl" was a crime, but they did open with "Rosanna's Song" and they played "Murderer" so I can't complain too much.

The sound got even worse for Gym Class (which is surely the wrong way around) and while Travey is immensely entertaining, he's so full of himself it's hard to like him. Most of the time it was like the bass was farting and when it wasn't Travis was just irritating the crap out of me. They actually had to get one of the band members back onstage to get the crowd to chant for an encore... That's called pathetic.

Killing It.

Status

I went to my second Silverstein show last night, in a little club, same place as last time but that just made it even more awesome! Small venue makes you really feel like apart of the show and they stay to chill out and take pictures later on. Didn't seem like too much of a crowd at first during the first few opening local bands, but around the last-second last opening act people started to pile in, and by the time Silverstein went on the place was packed! It was just awesome, love seeing them live, and the guys are really cool!

They got what we call "Screeched In" which is when someone not from Newfoundland has to kiss a say a old saying, kiss a cod fish, then take a shot in order to become honorary Newfoundlanders. It was great, especially sense one made out with it, only after the another guy licked it after a bunch of "We want tongue" chants!
    I got a picture with Shane (the lead singer) afterwards, and I made sure we done the pose he did the first time I got a picture with him. Lol, he thought that was pretty cool. GREAT night.

Two of the opening acts were pretty sweet too, Wages Of Sin, and Dawn Awakening. See if you can check them out if you're into heavy stuff.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I may be going to see RIVR, The Dauntless Elite and a couple of other bands tomorrow night with my mate. Nice little local gig, headlined by an American band. Not sure yet. Not a lot of money floating around at the minute.

I'm also considering Ugly Duckling in a couple of weeks. I like me a little underground hip-hop.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I did go to see RIVIVR with my friends, but to be honest it was more about the friends than the bands. It was very loud, sweaty and shouty and I enjoyed myself immensely, especially considering the amount of pretty girls that I got to chat with cos my mate is a freakin' pimp.

What I'm really here to talk about is...

City & Colour
    Manchester Acadamy 1
    Monday 17 Oct 2011

There was a support act, but I honestly didn't pay much attention (which I feel kind of bad about because the guy's decent). I was too busy being excited for Dallas and catching up with my friends that I hadn't seen in what seemed like an age. So instead of a nice little bit about the opener, let's move straight to the main event.

I've seen City & Colour once before, but back then it was a seated venue and it was just Dallas. Occasionally the support band backed him, but for the most part it was an intimate audience with Dallas Green. I have to admit that I was seriously terrified that this venue would not suit the sound and that he'd get drowned out, but that was completely not the case.

All the songs were easily recognisable, but they'd all been tweaked by the new full time members. This wasn't just a run through of album tracks, it was like City & Colour playing Johnny Cash via Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath. It was a truly unique experience and non of the intimacy I had felt last time lost in the cavernous Academy, indeed it felt like it was just me and them and I got the feeling that everyone else in the room felt exactly the same way.

The song that wasn't aired that you would expect to be was "Save Your Scissors" and quite honestly the set was so good this wasn't noticed until after the fact.

Anyone that likes music with guitars in it needs to listen to City & Colour.

10/10

Ole!

Status

So this is my little gig schedule for November:

12/11/11

And

26/11/11

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Jealous about The Darkness. Great live band.

Not so much Alter Bridge cos I'll be watching Frank Turner at the Manchester Apollo that very night!

[Your Name]

Status

I was pretty stoked for the Alter Bridge line up too, but like Raiz, I'll be watching Frank Turner instead. Gigs with mates > gigs on your own.

Thread Information