Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Feud/Storyline of 2003?

Curtain Jerker

Status

Worst Feud/Storyline of 2003?

2003 was probably the year I watched WWE most consistantly and I loved it for the most part, but there were some crappy storyliens as well. I'll list some of the worst fueds, in my opinion, of that year. Feel free to comment on them or add your own. Anyways here we go.

The Undertaker Vs. A-train and Big Show

This was a storyline leading into Wrestlemania 19, and it was honestly very weak and it seemed like the WWE threw it all together at the last minute. They honestly could of thought of many better viable oppenents for The Undertaker that year, but it seemed they got lazy and just threw these two big men at him.

Triple H Vs. Kevin Nash

I remember some people actually liking this fued because it involved some nostalgia with having: Nash, HHH, and HBK all together in some way after so many years. But other then that, you had a pretty lackluster fued that led to an even more lackluster match. These two fought at Bad Blood 2003 and Judgement Day 2003, but matches were pretty bad, but HHH put Nash over in one of them.

Mr. America Vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper

It all started with Piper introducing the newly signed Smackdown superstar Mr. America into Piper's pit. Once "Real American" hit and Mr. American came out; Piper was going nuts. Now this was pretty damn cool and awesome to see, but it should of ended there. We were then plauged with awful tactics by Piper trying to reveal Mr. American as Hulk Hogan. The in ring segments were honestly not that good. Don't even mention the match at Judgement 2003, now that was just horrible.

Vince McMahon Vs. Stephanie McMahon

Now this one was pretty damn bad, but mostly for the fact that it was so long and overtook Smackdown for 2003. It all started with Stephanie making decisions that Vince didn't agree with. So he kept threatening to fire her if she didn't smarten up. This with all filled with some pretty bad acting by Steph and her trying to show her dominance. It all led to Vince putting Steph in a few main event matches taking on guys like: Brock Lesnar, A-Train, and The Big Show. (Yeah it was that bad). And while Stephanie showed some fair amount of skin and took some good bumps, that still didn't save her from being in one of the worst fueds of 2003. Let's not even mention her match against Vince at No Mercy.

God

Status

Re: Worst Fued/Storyline of 2003?

Was Lesnar not with Stephanie in that feud? I'm sure I remember him and Angle saving her from Big Show.

Triple H meanwhile was pretty awful for the entire year, not just against Nash. Remember, he faced Scott Steiner twice and I think at least one of those matches lastest nearly 30 minutes.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Curtain Jerker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Was Lesnar not with Stephanie in that feud? I'm sure I remember him and Angle saving her from Big Show.

Triple H meanwhile was pretty awful for the entire year, not just against Nash. Remember, he faced Scott Steiner twice and I think at least one of those matches lastest nearly 30 minutes.
    I forgot the mention those horrid matches against Scott Steiner in 2003! Royal Rumble 2003 was so bad if I remember correctly.

That Stephanie/Vince fued lasted so long to the point Brock turned heel later that year and ended up fighting Stephanie.

When the black man talkin

Status

The worst feud was probably Scott Steiner vs. Triple H. The matches were an embarrassment, and the build up was just as bad (push up contests and arm wrestling? In a world title feud? Really?). When I think of the bad things of 2003, that's the first thing I think of. It was a feud where nobody ended up looking good after it was all done.

The worst storyline is slightly different. I'd probably go with the aforementioned Hogan/Mr America vs. Vince & Roddy Piper. It's just hilarious that WWE were mocking WCW for running that as a main event programme many years before and they made it the main storyline (pretty much) on SmackDown. In a lot of ways, it was similar to Lawler vs. Cole from this year. It started out with a fairly decent story (going into Wrestlemania) but they didn't know when to let it die and it went out of control.

Stephanie vs. Vince I don't remember so much, but the actual payoff match at No Mercy was well booked (kind of) despite its crappiness as a match.

D.T.A

Status
      Country                    us=United States

You think Triple H did bad in 2003? I disagree. While he was booked in some feuds that werent all that great (Steiner feud is a perfect example) and some of his matches werent the best, I wouldnt put all the blame on him. The one match with Steiner (cant remember which ppv) was horrible but that appeared to be mostly Steiners fault as he didnt look like he was too sure of what to do in the match....Triple H would be doing or about to do a move and Steiner would already be out of position. Thats just one example. But I personally think Triple H did pretty well this year considering the lack of stars that he had to go up against in 2003.

Sorry, didnt mean for that to be so long lol
    Greatest WWF Champion In History

WAKE UP

Status

HHH was horrible in 2003.

BUT, Steph vs Vince was the worst. Even though Nash vs HHH and Steiner vs HHH were also horrible, and involved guys who had no business in main events, atleast they lead to wrestling matches. Vince vs Steph was a feud between two on-screen characters who weren't actual wrestlers (I guess you could argue Vince as one, but he's more a character who occasionally wrestles than a full-time wrestler). It was a waste of air-time that lead to what, 10 minutes of Vince beating up his daughter on PPV? Yeah, that's what people want to see.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Quite possibly the worst segment/interview in Smackdown/WWE history, let alone 2003. I wonder how much ratings went down after about 2 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D13DZ2m_3LM

Quote Originally Posted by The Shockmaster View Post
    The worst feud was probably Scott Steiner vs. Triple H. The matches were an embarrassment, and the build up was just as bad (push up contests and arm wrestling? In a world title feud? Really?).
    If you think about it after watching their first match, was there a better way to build up the feud? Had there been physical altercations between them, people would have easily seen how bad Steiner was. By doing all of those stupid competitions, it allowed the fans to believe in the idea that Steiner could kick Hunter's ass and that it wouldn't end up being the worst match of the year.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    HHH was horrible in 2003.

BUT, Steph vs Vince was the worst. Even though Nash vs HHH and Steiner vs HHH were also horrible, and involved guys who had no business in main events, atleast they lead to wrestling matches. Vince vs Steph was a feud between two on-screen characters who weren't actual wrestlers (I guess you could argue Vince as one, but he's more a character who occasionally wrestles than a full-time wrestler). It was a waste of air-time that lead to what, 10 minutes of Vince beating up his daughter on PPV? Yeah, that's what people want to see.
    I know he was feuding with Kane at the time but do you think the Vince/Stephanie feud would have been worse if Shane McMahon had gotten involved?

Intercontinental Champion

Status

I know this is off topic but.. Stephanies tits are so huge in that picture.

When the black man talkin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    If you think about it after watching their first match, was there a better way to build up the feud? Had there been physical altercations between them, people would have easily seen how bad Steiner was. By doing all of those stupid competitions, it allowed the fans to believe in the idea that Steiner could kick Hunter's ass and that it wouldn't end up being the worst match of the year.
    That's true, if there was any physicality between the two before the match it might have ended up like Shane McMahon against Legacy. I still think they could have done something better than push up competitions though. Just off the top of my head, they could have had Evolution come out and beat up random midcard faces every week and Steiner scaring them all off. It's nothing special, but it still puts Steiner over as a force and makes it seem like he could beat HHH.

Of course, I think we all agree that the real question is why is he put in a World Title match if he's incapable of doing anything in the ring.

Underdog

Status

Kane/Katie Vick vs. HHH?

Intercontinental Champion

Status

No, that was in 2002, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shockmaster View Post
    That's true, if there was any physicality between the two before the match it might have ended up like Shane McMahon against Legacy. I still think they could have done something better than push up competitions though. Just off the top of my head, they could have had Evolution come out and beat up random midcard faces every week and Steiner scaring them all off. It's nothing special, but it still puts Steiner over as a force and makes it seem like he could beat HHH.

Of course, I think we all agree that the real question is why is he put in a World Title match if he's incapable of doing anything in the ring.
    Perhaps, but running all of those strength competitions was a way to build up to a title match in a different way. Even though the Warrior had a few feud builders similar to that (vs Dino Bravo and Rick Rude comes to mind), they haven't worked a similar angle in some time. If nothing else, Steiner does excel when it comes to looking strong.

I do agree that it was senseless to even run the angle had the WWE known that Steiner was so bad in the ring. It's entirely possible that they didn't know he was that bad though.

Backyarder

Status

what about the whole katie vick thing with kane?

As said, the Katie Vick storyline was in October of 2002. Kane's angles in 2003 included the mask causing Kane to lose, the initial unmasking angle and the feud with Shane McMahon.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    au=Australia

I didn't think the Steph vs Vince feud was that bad..I was just happy to see her on tv

My issue with the Vince/Stephanie feud was that it was just one of the many McMahon feuds on WWE TV in 2003. Off of the top of my head, I can remember:

- Vince McMahon vs Hulk Hogan/Mr. McMahon
    - Shane McMahon vs Kane
    - Vince McMahon vs The Undertaker
    - Stephanie McMahon vs Sable
    - Stephanie McMahon vs Vince McMahon
    - Vince McMahon vs Zack Gowen
    - Shane McMahon/Linda McMahon vs Eric Bischoff

And of course, every one of those McMahon feuds had to be on full display on PPV. The McMahons may have made for interesting angles in 1998-2000, but by 2003 I was so sick of seeing the McMahon's take up so much screen time. How many times can we care about the McMahon's hating each other when they've been running the angle since late 1998?

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

I think Shane can actually wrestle a match. But Linda/Vince/Stephanie should remain from in ring competition. I remember the Gowen feud with him and McMahon and remember I was quite disappointed because the kid got eliminated and he actually could have momentum riding high on him from proving Mr. McMahon and everybody wrong, I liked the kid even though he had only one leg.

But yeah those feuds between the McMahons are really terrible if you ask me plus Undertaker/Big Show/A Train, the feud was seemingly just thrown at Taker as the two were big men. Anything with Scott Steiner in it was bad as well. Something that was really great was Jericho/Michaels.

Shane can wrestle a good match, but it's the same match over and over. It's best to use him sparingly because despite working the same match, they can always be a major selling point of the show. Whenever Shane is booked, everyone is left wondering "What crazy bump is he going to do now?"

I wouldn't say Taker vs Train/Show was just thrown together. It was put together as far back as October 2002 with Show taking The Undertaker out on the first SD after No Mercy. Show needed something big like that to re-establish his monster gimmick so that fans could take him serious against Brock. They kind of ruined it by making Show out to be a joke at the Survivor Series though. Lame feud, but it made perfect sense.

Thread Information