Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Halloween (2018)

I Want It All!

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: Halloween (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I understand that mindset and to some degree I agree, but this is also not just some line about some random bit of trivia from the series. It's the very thing that held all of the movies together. I'd compare it to that one in-ring promo with Hulk Hogan where he insulted the six-sided ring in TNA. It didn't matter if he was right or not, that was the identity of the promotion and it felt like a slap in the face to some of those fans. You can get away with poking fun at a lot of things as long as it's mocked with love, but you should never make fun of something's very own identity. And for what? A random line that may or may not be in the movie? Hardly worth risking ostracizing some of your potential theater goers.

It's all the same thing though. It's just another example of retconning a bunch of events, including Laurie's own death, just to bring Jamie Lee Curtis back. In this case, it caused the death of the remake series, which admittedly, I'm not losing any sleep over after the awfulness of RZ's H2. It doesn't matter how Laurie reacts, the basic premise remains the same of Michael coming back into Laurie's life years after the fact and we get to see how Laurie has changed. In both cases, there's clearly an addiction at play due to Laurie's fear of Michael coming back. In 1998, Laurie's answer to that fear was the addiction to alcohol. In 2018, Laurie's answer to that fear was an addiction to protection. Considering the fact that it had been forty long ass years, there's not any real reason for Laurie to ever be fearful of meeting Michael again, yet, there she is, ready for him and chances are, had been for quite some time. Why we have to keep going back to seeing how Laurie responded to her trauma years after the fact, at the expense of the other entries of the series, is anyone's guess, but it's the same.
    Their is no reason for Laurie to be afraid of Michael after 40 years yeah, she saw the man get shot multiple times, fell let's say 10-15 feet and no sell that shit like Goldberg hehe. If I know anything about trauma if you don't get help, you never really get over it and it Laurie maybe didn't want to get that help and they kept that fear inside her heart which is why she has a Panic Room just in case worse comes to worse. I wouldn't be shocked to see a nightmare from Laurie of her death just to show she's tried to live her life, but in the back of her mind almost knew Michael would come to visit her one more time. My question is Jim: so Michael who is older is around what in his 60's right by this time? How is Michael even able to move around and not show his old age..or does EVIL..even age ha.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Quote Originally Posted by Sadio HoHo View Post
    My question is Jim: so Michael who is older is around what in his 60's right by this time? How is Michael even able to move around and not show his old age..or does EVIL..even age ha.
    Watch the movie in October and find out.

He'd just be sixty-one though. It's old, but it's not elderly. Ric Flair was still wrestling at that age and there's been legitimate serial killers that have been older.

I Want It All!

Status

Watch the movie in October and find out.

He'd just be sixty-one though. It's old, but it's not elderly. Ric Flair was still wrestling at that age and there's been legitimate serial killers that have been older.
    So true Jim. When I was rewatching the Trailer I was thinking also that why did the Mental Institution he was in, allow that filming crew doing I guess a Documentary on the Murders on his life, allow that Mask to come in? Legit you're poking at a Bear when you bring out his Mask, and I'm pretty sure from experience that they check your personal items from family and friends before allowing you come in especially Jail. Oh well Jason was annoyed enough and he seems he got his Dessert and it wasn't Jello

Real Women of Genius

So true Jim. When I was rewatching the Trailer I was thinking also that why did the Mental Institution he was in, allow that filming crew doing I guess a Documentary on the Murders on his life, allow that Mask to come in? Legit you're poking at a Bear when you bring out his Mask, and I'm pretty sure from experience that they check your personal items from family and friends before allowing you come in especially Jail. Oh well Jason was annoyed enough and he seems he got his Dessert and it wasn't Jello
    This just in: the new Halloween movie is a crossover with Friday the 13th~!

I Want It All!

Status

This just in: the new Halloween movie is a crossover with Friday the 13th~!
    You got me with that one Jim. Why do I think that that last Jump Scare at the end of the Trailer is just a ploy to make us think that was really Michael? That could be easily another Teenager dressed up as Myers, because if he offs that girl what does he do with a Kid sing songs by a fire? Jim where and how do you see this film ending? My prediction Myers and Laurie both die, and Laurie has a great send off protecting her family from Myers now she can rest in peace.

Real Women of Genius

You got me with that one Jim. Why do I think that that last Jump Scare at the end of the Trailer is just a ploy to make us think that was really Michael? That could be easily another Teenager dressed up as Myers, because if he offs that girl what does he do with a Kid sing songs by a fire? Jim where and how do you see this film ending? My prediction Myers and Laurie both die, and Laurie has a great send off protecting her family from Myers now she can rest in peace.
    So basically, the same as Halloween Resurrection. Frankly, it doesn't matter what happens to Laurie. We've seen her survive, die on camera, and heard about her dying off of camera. Ideally, this movie would be setting up a sequel with someone else at the front and center. There's absolutely zero reason to do the movie if it's just an one and done.

I Want It All!

Status

You know another thing they are going to need to tell us somehow why is Michael after 40 years chosen to see Laurie again? You're going to have to do that, without going into the Cult thing again and him being chosen and all with what went on in the 6th film.

Real Women of Genius

You know another thing they are going to need to tell us somehow why is Michael after 40 years chosen to see Laurie again? You're going to have to do that, without going into the Cult thing again and him being chosen and all with what went on in the 6th film.
    Through some means, he gets freed and as luck will have it, Laurie still lives in town. He clearly became obsessed with her from the first time he saw her outside of the Myers house. No real reasoning needed.

I Want It All!

Status

Danny McBride from what I've heard from people he is the reason why the film blows away all the Sequels from Halloween including the second film. McBride I remember I think posting a Video in one of the Pages that the moment he found out Michael and Laurie were related it killed the character for him. I've even heard these guys wanted to pitch two Movies involving Halloween and they paused on that seeing how this film would go. I know I'm going to like this film, but in the back of my mind I wanna know how this ends.

Also the more and more I try to break apart and find something to go on, whoever is in the Myers role walking around he walks and looks creepy as fuck as Nick Castle did in the original film.

Real Women of Genius

As integral to the Halloween series as the sibling connection is, it does create a gigantic plot contrivance in the original Halloween. Michael returned to Haddonfield for the first time in 15 years, just happened to return to his childhood home shortly before his baby sister showed up to drop the house key off because as luck would have it, her adoptive father was a real estate agent selling the Myers home. Rather than honing in on anyone else he saw that first day back in Haddonfield, Myers managed to start stalking that long lost sister, who he hadn't seen in over a decade. Think about it, so much had to have perfectly align for everything to happen. All it could have taken was for Mr. Strode to ask Laurie to drop off the key the day before or Michael to be too busy sleeping or eating a dog to be alert when Laurie to show up, and with that, Michael wouldn't have even been aware of Laurie to start stalking her. It's so ludicrous.

HoHo, why are you so concerned about how the movie will end? It's a slasher. They don't have many endings. Chances are, Michael is going to be "Dead" at the end of the movie.

I Want It All!

Status

As integral to the Halloween series as the sibling connection is, it does create a gigantic plot contrivance in the original Halloween. Michael returned to Haddonfield for the first time in 15 years, just happened to return to his childhood home shortly before his baby sister showed up to drop the house key off because as luck would have it, her adoptive father was a real estate agent selling the Myers home. Rather than honing in on anyone else he saw that first day back in Haddonfield, Myers managed to start stalking that long lost sister, who he hadn't seen in over a decade. Think about it, so much had to have perfectly align for everything to happen. All it could have taken was for Mr. Strode to ask Laurie to drop off the key the day before or Michael to be too busy sleeping or eating a dog to be alert when Laurie to show up, and with that, Michael wouldn't have even been aware of Laurie to start stalking her. It's so ludicrous.

HoHo, why are you so concerned about how the movie will end? It's a slasher. They don't have many endings. Chances are, Michael is going to be "Dead" at the end of the movie.
    When I was little kid and I first saw Halloween the Edited Version on TV, I thought Laurie was being stalked and hunted due to him being pissed off that her family being control of his family home for all these years and he wanted revenge. It does set up that way Jim no doubt, when Laurie friend says Speed kills I was like when I saw it yeah those two girls are dead. Michael didn't need to chase down Laurie he could of killed Annie and Lynda and left her alone. Dude holds grudges over houses I've seen less stuff from my own family hold grudges with each other for many years

I'm concerned about the ending because I am a huge fan like yourself Jim probably my fav when it comes from Horror and I don't want to see some hokey type of ending. I would be fine with Michael truly dying, and it could happen we don't know what little tricks Laurie has up her sleeves. She has been waiting for Michael for 40 years for all we know she has her whole home boobie trapped like Home Alone

Real Women of Genius

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I understand that mindset and to some degree I agree, but this is also not just some line about some random bit of trivia from the series. It's the very thing that held all of the movies together. I'd compare it to that one in-ring promo with Hulk Hogan where he insulted the six-sided ring in TNA. It didn't matter if he was right or not, that was the identity of the promotion and it felt like a slap in the face to some of those fans. You can get away with poking fun at a lot of things as long as it's mocked with love, but you should never make fun of something's very own identity. And for what? A random line that may or may not be in the movie? Hardly worth risking ostracizing some of your potential theater goers.
    I do just wanna point out that the only reason I ever noticed that the original had no familial connection between Laurie and Michael mentioned in it at all, is because you pointed it out to me years ago. Somewhere on this forum is us having a similar conversation to this, but in reverse. I might never have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out to me.

I've been a fan of this series since I was eight or nine years old, the line doesn't bother me and I'm thirty-six in August. Ive been a fan of this film and it's sequels for almost thirty years. I get that Halloween is about that family connection and always has been for most fans (including me) but a line in a fictional movie, that is a re-imagining of the events after another fictional movie shouldn't be causing this much problem for anyone. This creative team wanted to see what it would be like if Carpenter had followed the first movie on without retconning in a sibling relationship, and that's interesting to me - I'd actually be more interested if they'd made a period piece and set it in the seventies or eighties with a recast Laurie, but I get why they wanted to bring back Jamie Lee Curtis so I'm not gonna complain too hard.

There's absolutely zero reason to do the movie if it's just an one and done.
    Going in, this is an outlier in the series. It exists solely because Danny McBride wanted to make it and has a name that brings with it the power to get inside a room with the right people. They want to tell a specific version of the story and if that version ends with the actual death of Michael Myers and it is a one-and-done film, that would be pretty refreshing; sure, it's technically a sequel but it's so long after the movie it continues on from and almost a decade after any of the other movies even vaguely connected to that movie that it might as well be it's own stand alone - which you might even be able to consider it as after the fact. It's basically a fan-film, it's just that the fan is a celebrity and managed to get Blumhouse to sign the cheques for it.

I don't believe for one second that this will be the last film with Michael Myers film regardless of how this ends because if Halloween Resurrection and Zombie's Halloween 2 didn't kill the franchise totally dead, nothing will.

This is actually the only thing that really needs to be explained... but I think it can be. In the first film, before you're aware they're related, it can be chalked up to Michael being territorial or mistaking Laurie for the sister he killed all those years before and feeling it's necessary to re-kill her. After that it's all easily waved away because of the sister and death-cults of it all.

Here Michael, for me, is seeking vengeance. He was defeated previously by two people, Sam Loomis and Laurie Strode; Loomis is dead (it seems - they certainly aren't bringing Pleasence back for it) so Michael focuses in on finding Laurie. I'll be very interested in whether or not he recognises Laurie as who she is. Michael's worldview has always been very stuck in a specific time, he's still that little boy that murdered his sister seemingly randomly, his victim of choice is teenage girls (often blonde and busty, but not always) regardless of who is main target is he always manages to bag at least one. In a film where a death cult mandated family sacrifice isn't his motivation, then will they be exploring the idea that Michael is simply reliving that Halloween night in 1963 when he murdered his sister? Transferring her face, actions and personality onto someone else and killing anyone who gets in his way? Did he see Laurie in the original and wonder how his sister had survived his first attack? Will he do the same now, going back out after her with the knowledge that he failed to kill her on that night in 1978 but not realising how much time has passed and not immediately recognising Laurie when he sees her because she's so much older and looks so different, instead it's her daughter, grand-daughter or even just some random neighbourhood girl who he transfers her onto and stalks only to come to blows with the real Laurie because she's been waiting for him (or someone else like him) to turn up and is ready to kick-ass.

The more and more I think about this, the more and more I get excited by the possibilities it has. There's so much they can do because they're not chained to what came before.

I Want It All!

Status

Yeah one thing I thought about is something I've learned about Ghosts and Spirits. I learned that they two kind of Ghosts, one are Ghosts that know what is going on and the other relive their old life and don't know what is truly around them and they completely ignore it. Michael could be in that same stat like you said he see's his Sister in Laurie and he just keeps reliving that night and can't get past seeing those images of his Sister back when he was a kid. It almost feels like a Bull seeing Red, but don't worry Laurie is going to send him home.

Real Women of Genius

Status

Michael and Laurie being siblings is comparable to Jason Voorhees being alive in Friday The 13th part 2. Yeah, it didn't happen in the first film but it's what the entire franchise was built on. I don't understand why this couldn't at least be a sequel to Halloween 2. Happened the same night so I doubt it would have changed this films plot too much. You are erasing several movies from canon just to include a line trolling Halloween 2. It's pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JT Grizzle View Post
    I do just wanna point out that the only reason I ever noticed that the original had no familial connection between Laurie and Michael mentioned in it at all, is because you pointed it out to me years ago. Somewhere on this forum is us having a similar conversation to this, but in reverse. I might never have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out to me.
    You really need to learn to pay better attention to movies. The reveal of Michael and Laurie being related is the biggest reveal of Halloween 2!

I don't believe for one second that this will be the last film with Michael Myers film regardless of how this ends because if Halloween Resurrection and Zombie's Halloween 2 didn't kill the franchise totally dead, nothing will.
    If there's not going to be a direct sequel to this film, it feels unnecessary to me since in a few years, they will be back to the drawing board to figure out what they wanted to do to bring the series back. Ever since Jamie Lee Curtis wormed her way back into the series, the series keeps getting rebooted, but the reboot only lasts for two movies before they're forced to reboot it again.

In a film where a death cult mandated family sacrifice isn't his motivation, then will they be exploring the idea that Michael is simply reliving that Halloween night in 1963 when he murdered his sister? Transferring her face, actions and personality onto someone else and killing anyone who gets in his way? Did he see Laurie in the original and wonder how his sister had survived his first attack?
    Above all other motivating factors including a family connection and the cult, I've believed for awhile that Michael's main instinct is to always be re-creating that Halloween night in 1963. I feel like I went in-depth on this in some other thread (Perhaps in one my Halloween reviews for Fright Fest?), but Michael is pretty straight forward in doing his best to re-live the Judith kill as closely as possible. It's the whole reason why he's always wearing a mask. In the first film, maybe you could argue that Michael is just wearing a mask to go undetected, but once the murders begins, especially in the sequels when everyone is fully aware of what Michael looks like, there's not much of a reason for Michael to ever wear a mask unless he's purposely recreating 1963. Carpenter made such a big point of six year old Michael putting on the mask before killing Judith, as if that was the last thing Michael needed to block out every other aspect of his human side. Even his main weapon of a larger butcher knife is what he used in his original kill. I believe if it was up to Michael, he'd always just use a large knife, but due to a knife not always being handy, he's forced to use whatever else is around.

Michael does seem to have some sort of weird interest in Laurie. I think part of it is that Laurie notices him, so he's...interested in sorts of just watching her for awhile to try and learn more about her. He clearly doesn't give a fuck about Annie or Lynda. Only killing them (And Bob) so that he has Laurie alone. As you go into the sequels, that has a clearer purpose of Michael having a far easier time of getting direct access to his main target (Whether Laurie or Jamie) if everyone close to them is too dead to help save them. Whether it's because Laurie looks like Judith or because she just lucked into being the first teenage girl he saw after he escaped, he became obsessed with spying on her just as he did with Judith.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    Michael and Laurie being siblings is comparable to Jason Voorhees being alive in Friday The 13th part 2. Yeah, it didn't happen in the first film but it's what the entire franchise was built on. I don't understand why this couldn't at least be a sequel to Halloween 2. Happened the same night so I doubt it would have changed this films plot too much. You are erasing several movies from canon just to include a line trolling Halloween 2. It's pretty stupid.
    To be fair, it is an interesting idea. The family connection is one of the better What Ifs in the Halloween series. It seems like such a funky idea now, but Carpenter's original idea had nothing to do with the pair being siblings. So what would the series be if Carpenter got his way and Laurie was never revealed to be a Myers? With this being the 10th sequel (Well, tenth film following the original), it's the most original idea they've had besides Halloween 3.

But still, if you're going to show what a Halloween film would be without the family connection, don't openly mock the connection.
    Last edited by Jim; 06-13-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Booty For HOF

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm good with them getting rid of the Family Connection. It will make for an interesting story to see where they go with the Reasoning behind Michael Myers stalking Laurie in this movie. I have never been a fan of movies that totally "Erase" what happened in other films, but you can't erase the actual film so I can still enjoy the others. Kind of like the was Terminator G, changed the time lines around. Still doesn't make me not enjoy the first films.

I'll definitely be going and seeing this one on the Big Screen.
    Keeping the candle burning for Carl

Status

To be fair, it is an interesting idea. The family connection is one of the better What Ifs in the Halloween series. It seems like such a funky idea now, but Carpenter's original idea had nothing to do with the pair being siblings. So what would the series be if Carpenter got his way and Laurie was never revealed to be a Myers? With this being the 10th sequel (Well, tenth film following the original), it's the most original idea they've had besides Halloween 3.

But still, if you're going to show what a Halloween film would be without the family connection, don't openly mock the connection.
    But didn't Carpenter write Halloween II? I think McBride and a lot of people favoring this concept are downplaying Carpenter's involvement in Halloween 2 but as I understand it, he wrote it, produced and oversaw it's entire production.

I'll tell you, back in '98 I was bummed that Halloween 4-6 were removed from canon and here we are 20 years later only now it's more extreme

I've never seen a film franchise cherry pick it's continuity more than this one. If you include Season Of The Witch, this will be the 4th or 5th reboot. I don't really know if you consider the Thorn trilogy a reboot or an extension of the first two so that's why I don't know if it's the 4th or 5th.

All that being said, if they are trying to recapture the tone and spirit of the first film, this movie can be great and it probably will be. Just need to convince myself that 2-8 never happened, which is my cross to bare I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    But didn't Carpenter write Halloween II? I think McBride and a lot of people favoring this concept are downplaying Carpenter's involvement in Halloween 2 but as I understand it, he wrote it, produced and oversaw it's entire production.
    Carpenter did have a big role behind the scenes with Halloween 2 including directing some of it. On the Shout Factory Blu-Ray of the movie, director, Rick Rosenthal, laughs at the fact that he's credited as the sole director when there were a lot of cooks in the kitchen, some of which wasn't even something Rosenthal was even aware of before seeing the movie.

However, Carpenter has also come out and stated that he only made Michael and Laurie siblings because he didn't know how else to keep the story going. You can kinda tell that Halloween 2 wasn't a passion project for him and instead felt like more of an obligation. So while the family connection was his idea, it wasn't one he particularly wanted to happen.

[quiote]I'll tell you, back in '98 I was bummed that Halloween 4-6 were removed from canon and here we are 20 years later only now it's more extreme

I've never seen a film franchise cherry pick it's continuity more than this one. If you include Season Of The Witch, this will be the 4th or 5th reboot. I don't really know if you consider the Thorn trilogy a reboot or an extension of the first two so that's why I don't know if it's the 4th or 5th.[/QUOTE]

Well, let's count them up:

- Halloween 1-2, 4-6 - The "Original series"

- Halloween 3 - Just remains on its own

- Halloween 1-2, H20-Resurrection - The sister trilogy and the shit sequel to the sister trilogy

- Rob Zombie's Halloween 1-2 - The Zombie universe

- Halloween 1 - Halloween 2018 - The non-family series

I wouldn't consider Halloween 4 to be a reboot of the series, but rather the continuation after Halloween 3. It just happens to be a bit tricky as it's a continuation that is erased with Halloween H20.

I Want It All!

Status

Carpenter did have a big role behind the scenes with Halloween 2 including directing some of it. On the Shout Factory Blu-Ray of the movie, director, Rick Rosenthal, laughs at the fact that he's credited as the sole director when there were a lot of cooks in the kitchen, some of which wasn't even something Rosenthal was even aware of before seeing the movie.

However, Carpenter has also come out and stated that he only made Michael and Laurie siblings because he didn't know how else to keep the story going. You can kinda tell that Halloween 2 wasn't a passion project for him and instead felt like more of an obligation. So while the family connection was his idea, it wasn't one he particularly wanted to happen.

[quiote]I'll tell you, back in '98 I was bummed that Halloween 4-6 were removed from canon and here we are 20 years later only now it's more extreme

I've never seen a film franchise cherry pick it's continuity more than this one. If you include Season Of The Witch, this will be the 4th or 5th reboot. I don't really know if you consider the Thorn trilogy a reboot or an extension of the first two so that's why I don't know if it's the 4th or 5th.
    Well, let's count them up:

- Halloween 1-2, 4-6 - The "Original series"

- Halloween 3 - Just remains on its own

- Halloween 1-2, H20-Resurrection - The sister trilogy and the shit sequel to the sister trilogy

- Rob Zombie's Halloween 1-2 - The Zombie universe

- Halloween 1 - Halloween 2018 - The non-family series

I wouldn't consider Halloween 4 to be a reboot of the series, but rather the continuation after Halloween 3. It just happens to be a bit tricky as it's a continuation that is erased with Halloween H20.[/QUOTE]

The past few days I've been watching these and I'm glad you brought it up Jim. Personally I love Halloween 2 and it's in my top three with Halloween 4 behind it because I still get that vibe of the first film, and in even in the behind of the scenes documentary they go into how they wanted to direct it the same way, angle wise and lighting wise to almost weave together perfectly like Rogue One going into New Hope. If you're a fan of Halloween the franchise you'll love these two Videos for sure.

Real Women of Genius

Status
      Country                    United States

Halloween 4 is hands down my favorite entry. That's great seeing everyone involved going into detail on the making of the film. I always wished they did film that hospital hallway explosion scene.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

*You heard right, it's coming back. Look for it soon in a BTB section near you*

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    Antichrist of WC/nWo Immortal XX -
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Thread Information