Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Annual Wrestling Clique World Tournament?

Established Veteran

Status

The Annual Wrestling Clique World Tournament?

Hello WC'ers, I have pitched an idea to virtually all the moderators and staff to hold a Wrestling Clique World Tournament and I want your support and your feedback.

What is this tournament you ask? Only the funnest, coolest, wildest, most exciting thing to never happen here yet. Hopefully brought to you by yours truly, and your wonderful WC staff.

This is the tournament that will decide the greatest of all time. Now you might be thinking that could only be a handful of people, but when you look across the span of wrestling history there are many greats that could all make a run at this thing. You ever wondered what would happen when wrestlers from different generations clashed and who would come out on top? Well, this is the answer to that.

The tournament operates as a single elimination style tournament much like the King of the Ring. What we will do is take 128 of the best of all time in their primes, and randomly pit them against each other in matches in which YOU the members of WC will vote on the outcome of in a poll, voicing your reasons and opinions on why each person would win each match.

These matches would be put in place as if they were really happening. They would be in different regions of the country, in different arenas, putting legends against legends, and champions against champions. You, the members of WC would help decide who would be in this tournament, giving requests and rallying support from your fellow WC'ers for your favorites. Then, after the entrants have been decided we will draw the names at random to decide the matches in the tournament, in each region.

The first few rounds would have everyone in regular matches so that everyone has the same chance, then as the tournament starts to heat up stipulation matches will be thrown into play to even the odds some more, and when we get down to the final 3 rounds the winner will be determined in a one night tournament much like KOTR.

So WC, I am asking for your support and your feedback. Is this something you would like to see happen here at Wrestling Clique? Is this something you would like to participate in? Is there anything not mentioned here that you have questions about? I have given the information and the blueprint for this event to the staff as I mentioned in my opening If you want to see this thing happen, post in here stating as much, and contact your mods and staff telling them "We want the tournament". I know that this will be a lot of fun for everyone, and if we can get this off the ground that it could be a big feature every year on this site. Here's hoping for the best. Now show your support.
    Last edited by The Game Rage; 03-13-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

WAKE UP

Status

Re: The Annual Wrestling Clique World Tournament

So we'd be voting for who would win in a kayfabe fixed/worked match?

Established Veteran

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    So we'd be voting for who would win in a kayfabe fixed/worked match?
    Yes. Let's say one of the matches ended up being Bruno Sammartino vs Harley Race, who would win that match? You vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc. This would make it all the more interesting. Hell, you could vote on either man based on who you think would be booked to go over in the match in real life, taking the kayfabe part out of the equation. It's all in fun, and you can go in any direction you want with it.

WAKE UP

Status

Seems a bit redundant to vote on who would win a hypotehtical match as pro wrestling is a work and the outcomes pre-determined. But that is just my opinion, of course. Voting on who you think was the better wrestler would make more sense, but I don't think that idea would work here to the extent you are hoping for.

God

Status

Seems a bit redundant to vote on who would win a hypotehtical match as pro wrestling is a work and the outcomes pre-determined. But that is just my opinion, of course. Voting on who you think was the better wrestler would make more sense, but I don't think that idea would work here to the extent you are hoping for.
    I read it as being essentially the same. You choose what criteria you want to use and whoever gets the most votes is deemed as being "better" by the majority of votes.

Also, I reckon 128 is way too many.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Established Veteran

Status

That's the idea, voting on who YOU think was better, and thusly who would win. It's something for people to get more involved in and I think that would really bring everyone out.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    I read it as being essentially the same. You choose what criteria you want to use and whoever gets the most votes is deemed as being "better" by the majority of votes.

Also, I reckon 128 is way too many.
    When you are encompassing people from all across the generations though, you'd be surprised how quickly it adds up and you find yourself trying to whittle it down to that number. It wouldn't really be that hard to come up with the all the names, you start with world champions from WWF/WWE, WCW, NWA, AWA, AJPW, NJPW, CMLL, ROH, etc... and then on to mid card champions if you need to full it in from there. That is just an easy number to work with for a bracket style tournament. Figure, you'd have 4 regions(ex: North, South, East, West) that's 32 matches per region which isn't all that much when you really get down to it, then considering that after the first round that number is cut in half, it's not all that much. The original tournament like this I saw had something like 256 people.
    Last edited by The Game Rage; 03-13-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

Looks like a good idea....How long do you think it will take you to start this up ?

Established Veteran

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TCON View Post
    Looks like a good idea....How long do you think it will take you to start this up ?
    Well that's the catch and why I need the support of the staff. This is something that would require it's own section and obviously I don't have the ability to do all that stuff. This would have numerous forums and sub-forums which is why it would require the help of you guys. If I were a mod with the authority to do everything I'd gladly do it myself, but that's not exactly an option either. Here's what all it would require if done the way I'd like to see it done.

First you have a General Wrestling Clique World Tournament Discussion forum. It's sub-forums would be "Campaign Headquarters" where people could start threads to get the people they want in the tournament. Then an "Ask A Question Thread", another thread to show everyone the official draw that determines the matches before they actually come underway which you could call "Match Listings", Then maybe a "Welcome Thread" to formally introduce everyone to it and explain everything to them. From there people can make threads in this General Wrestling Clique World Tournament Discussion forum about the tournament itself like "Why so and so beats so and so", you can also put up polls in here to vote for stipulations to matches in later rounds, and post results of the tournament rounds, have pre-match debating, etc....

The next forums would be for the regions in which the matches take place giving a total of 5 forums altogether. You'd have the New York Region, Florida Region, California Region, and Texas Region. Each region includes the surrounding states so that you can use different arenas. For instance the New York Region would consist of the pacific north east states, The Florida Region would be the pacific south east states, the California Region would be the west coast and mountain states, and the Texas region would be the midwest states allowing you to use any places within those regions to host matches in.

So you figure out who all will be in the tourney, and take the names, write them down, throw them in a hat, and draw them at random to decide the matches in each region for the first round. After the first round is done in each region, you take the surviving names, put them in a hat and draw them again to decide placement, until we get to the end.

Once the names were all determined, it wouldn't take that long to do it all. Essentially you are just making a few forums and threads, and then when it comes match time, you just make the threads with a picture of the arena, pictures of the two opponents, an explanation of the match, you include a poll, and that's it. It sounds like a ton of work but it's not that much. I bet you could get it all together in a couple hours tops.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

TBH, I definitely think this is something that will get seriously long winded and require way too much support. And it should have been suggested rather than crafted into this thread.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Established Veteran

Status

Quote Originally Posted by N. Quincy Talent View Post
    TBH, I definitely think this is something that will get seriously long winded and require way too much support. And it should have been suggested rather than crafted into this thread.
    I sent the suggestions and blueprints for the whole thing to practically every mod on the site, check your PM's you've probably got one from me. I have suggested it, and this thread is only to see if people would be into it and to get the idea out to not just you the staff, but the rest of the members of the site to see what they think. It might sound like it could get long winded and require too much support, but just give it a chance and I think you will see differently. Any of you could also give your own suggestions of ways to make it more efficient as well.

Ole!

Status

Never gonna happen, if its a short tournament then it might work but people will lose interest in this after a couple of days.

And there is no way you'd get a separate forum for it.

WAKE UP

Status

I think it sounds like a decent idea if ran properly and kept organized, but I think it needs to be made clear what the voting criteria is. Are people supposed to vote for who is the better worker, or who would win a hypothetical worked contest (which is silly)?

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mikk View Post
    And there is no way you'd get a separate forum for it.
    I can confirm that it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Stylin' and profilin'

Status

It's an interesting idea, but it doesn't take 'a few hours' to create the hundreds of threads that would be necessary for this project. Do you realise how much work we have to do without taking the reins of a tournament in which whose criteria for progression are pretty vague, a tournament that would likely last months and months?

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

Would it be who you like the best, or who you think is the best wrestler?

Spoiler:

Established Veteran

Status

I think it sounds like a decent idea if ran properly and kept organized, but I think it needs to be made clear what the voting criteria is. Are people supposed to vote for who is the better worker, or who would win a hypothetical worked contest (which is silly)?
    Yes, Organization is the key here. I actually gave you the voting criteria earlier, this is much more simple than it might sound at first. This is what I said earlier about Voting Criteria:

You vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc. This would make it all the more interesting. Hell, you could vote on either man based on who you think would be booked to go over in the match in real life, taking the kayfabe part out of the equation. It's all in fun, and you can go in any direction you want with it.

and keep in mind I didn't just dream this up. I've seen it work elsewhere under this same format with this criteria

Quote Originally Posted by Welbek View Post
    It's an interesting idea, but it doesn't take 'a few hours' to create the hundreds of threads that would be necessary for this project. Do you realise how much work we have to do without taking the reins of a tournament in which whose criteria for progression are pretty vague, a tournament that would likely last months and months?
    If there is any criteria that you are wanting to know about just ask and you will get the answer.

I was just saying, the just creating the threads themselves in a WCWT section wouldn't take much time at all. It's the matches in the first round that make up the body of the work, but split between 4 people(1 for each region) that's a lot less of a work load. Start with 8 matches on the first day in each region, 8 matches the next day, 8 matches the third day, 8 matches the 4th day and BOOM, 128 matches set up in four days between 4 people on a light schedule. keep the voting open for 5 days to a week. Then after that first round you're only talking about HALF of what you started with and it gets even easier. At this rate, the whole thing is done in a little over a month and once it actually gets going, I think you will see that people will really get involved in it, and that it is more fun than it is work.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Dealer View Post
    Would it be who you like the best, or who you think is the best wrestler?
    It can be whichever you want it to be, it's your vote. For instance, lets say one of the matches ended up being John Cena vs Hulk Hogan in a 60 minute iron man match, with the winner being the man with the most falls at the end of the time limit. Who do you vote for to win this match? You can vote based on whatever criteria you think makes either man the winner, be it personal preference, actual in ring ability, charisma and ability to connect with the fans, whatever you think gives the one man an edge, or who you'd like to see win. It's something for everyone to get involved in and have fun with, and at the end of the day when the dust settles we will have a Wrestling Clique greatest of all time as voted by the members of the site.
    Last edited by The Game Rage; 03-13-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

I like this idea, hopefully it comes to fruition.

Spoiler:

Squash Fodder

Status
      Country                    ie=Ireland

I think its a good idea and could certainly create some interesting discussion but do you really need to complicate things with regions, arenas and stipulations? Why not just pair wrestlers off and people can vote/discuss based on historical value, workrate, charisma, titles etc. until it comes down to the final two wrestlers. You could easily do the same with tag teams.

Established Veteran

Status

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    I think its a good idea and could certainly create some interesting discussion but do you really need to complicate things with regions, arenas and stipulations? Why not just pair wrestlers off and people can vote/discuss based on historical value, workrate, charisma, titles etc. until it comes down to the final two wrestlers. You could easily do the same with tag teams.
    You break it down into regions so that you don't have one page with 100+ matches on it, and location can also be a factor. If it's a match with Ric Flair in North Carolina maybe he wins in Flair Country. Arenas are just for flare and making it more like an actual event so you can imagine where things are taking place. Stipulations are great because lets say we have a match with Hulk Hogan vs Cactus Jack and the match is some variation of a hardcore match. Hulk Hogan would likely destroy Mick Foley in any other environment, but when you put Foley in a match that favors him and that Hogan has little experience in, things become more interesting and it's not just a blow out where Hogan has every advantage. It makes it harder to just vote for someone because of their name.

All we need is the green light and some help from maybe a handful of mods and this thing could be up and running shortly. I do think that something of this magnitude deserves or even requires it's own section like the E-fed, Entertainment, and Sports sections.
    Last edited by The Game Rage; 03-13-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Re: The Annual Wrestling Clique World Tournament?

It's not getting it's own section. If it does happen, you can do it right here in the Wrestling Games where most general wrestling tournaments occur.

Personally, I feel it's a drastically overcomplicated idea for such a simple question (Who's the best?)

Thread Information