Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWE going on the Right Track with Morrison

"Face of the Future"

Status
      Country                    us=United States

WWE going on the Right Track with Morrison

I know many might feel different about this, but currently I feel the WWE is doing perfect with how they are handing Morrison. The casual fans as well the IWC are just begging for him to reach that next level. The WWE understands this and is capitalizing. For months, Morrison has been on the cusp of greatness, on the cusp of a world title win.

Do you see any similarities with a very popular star, who was also on the verge of main event status, a few years ago? If you still don’t get who I’m talking about, you must be out of it; because I’m referring to no other than Jeff Hardy. Now the comparison becomes very clear. Morrison is in the same position that Hardy was back in 2008, a lovable superstar who always got close to winning the big one, but consistently failed.

However, this is where the comparison ends, Hardy went on to finally win the world title in December of the same year. Morrison is still yet to achieve that feat. But it is clear that the WWE is trying to recreate what they did with Hardy for Morrison. To make his first world title win more emotional. To make his first world title reign stand out amongst the plethora of newly crowned world champions. So all I ask is to be patient.
    Last edited by mang; 03-06-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Just Monika... or Yuri

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Re: WWE going on the Right Track with Morrison

I agree with the Jeff Hardy comparison; both guys suck on the mic, and at actually wrestling, but could pull off some huge, amazing spots when they were needed the most, which largely overshadowed their shortcomings.

All that said, Morrison as a champion would be good for business, because a lot of people love him, but not for too long. Jeff's shitty mic skills (well, at times were better than average when he really got fired up) began to show when he had to cut his weekly obligatory promos and, if Morrison can't keep the crowd engaged on a verbal level (which I clearly doubt he's capable of), they'll just want him to shut up and do the same old once-impressive shit wrestle. Don't want the audience turning against a (presumably) face champ, now. It's not the same with Cena, because the guy sells merchandise like The Rock sells stunners.
    Last edited by Cam Dog; 03-06-2011 at 07:06 AM.

The Chosen One™

Status

I've been waiting, but I think McMahon will pull the plug on him because McMahon has something personal with him which is why he never got chances.

Dont you wish you were me

Status

It used to be a good intercontinental or US title run (or even tag title run), made you one of the top guys. To me, that shows the sad state of wrestling now days. In order to be considered a "top guy" you need a world title run. Rowdy Piper, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, British Bulldog, Jake Roberts, Million Dollar Man, JYD, Snuka, Bossman, Earthquake, etc, etc, etc. All considered top guys in the WWE at one point, NONE ever won a world title for the company. Today, your either at THE top level (Cena, Taker, HHH, Orton, etc.) or your just filler. IMO the mid card makes or breaks a fed.

In other words, back in the day (unless they were facing Hogan) anyone of these guys would be considered a credible threat to the title. Today, does anone actually believe Morrison, Truth, Bryan, Zigler, McIntyre, Kofi, etc, would stand a chance of taking the title from someone like Cena or Orton? No. The only time it happens is with a suprise attack after winning the money in the bank. Kudo's to you WWE for doing such a great job building your mid card talent!
    Last edited by Kingram417; 03-06-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    They're Here!!

Curtain Jerker

Status

As soon as they upgrade his silly pants, I will be all in with Morrison.

Status

Morrison's great and all, but I don't know if he deserves the World Title just yet. I'm a big supported of JoMo, but I have him on the same level as Kofi and Cody, even with Kofi being buried in the past few weeks. These three are great, and a lot of people think they should be World Champions, but I don't think WWE should pull the plug just yet.

Until one of them does something really impressive, I don't think any of them should be on "top" just yet.
    Just yet.

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

I honestly don't like Morrison. He's a bit of a spot-guy yeah but I think there's better wrestlers and I think his mic skills are dreadful.

Duke of Dorchester

Status

Morrison can be very exciting in the ring but I think he has to actually start developing some character and personality before he gets to be a serious world title contender. I wish they would let him start doing his Lizard King/Dirt Sheet type character again, except in a face capacity.

Balla

Status

It may just be me but I think Morrison has decent mic skills but he is freakin amazing in the ring and I'm a big Jo-Mo fan and would just love to see him reach that next level like he deserves
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Twitter.com/SirXBA

Status

I do agree to an extent about the comparison to Jeff Hardy, but let's face it Morrison wishes he was as popular as Jeff Hardy was during his race to the title.

I am not saying Morrison isn't popular, but he still has a way to go before he reaches that level Hardy was at.

SUBSCRIBE TO ME ON YOUTUBE
    XBA325 WANTS YOU TO CLICK HERE

"Face of the Future"

Status

Point taken about Morrison not being at the same level of popularity as Hardy, but no one can deny that his mic skills are holding back as much as people are claiming it to be. I can agree that they aren’t the greatest or anything; but, in my opinion, it’s enough to get him by. If Jeff Hardy could manage during his time then I don’t see Morrison having much difficulty either.

Just Monika... or Yuri

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Can't forget that Jeff's armbands and chains were selling like crazy; there'd always be plenty of kids in the arena wearing them. What does Morrison sell? I doubt as many people can afford big, fluffy coats, if those are what he's pushing. I know every wrestler has a t-shirt, but Morrison doesn't model his on the way to the ring (unlike Hardy with his armbands and chain, Rey with his shirt and mask, Cena with damned near everything that has his name attached) - that's invaluable ad. space going to waste. He's got the shades, but I haven't seen many people with those, either.

I don't know, maybe his merch. sales will increase if he's given a run with a world title but, keeping this in mind in addition to the aforementioned criticisms, that's clearly a gamble.
    Last edited by Cam Dog; 03-07-2011 at 05:23 AM.

FUNKASAURUS

Status
      Country                    uk_scotland=Scotland

Morrison is definitely heading on an upward trajectory at the moment, and it looks like he'll break through into the main event scene full time this year (I woudn't quite consider him all the way there, yet). I'm pleased for the guy, and I think he's good enough in the ring to carry himself at that level, although I don't think he's ready for a Word title reign yet. If he can improve on the mic and can develop his character a little bit more, then he'll be there, but there's still something missing. The whole 'Prince of Parkour' thing is working brilliantly for him at the moment though, so I hope that can be built on a bit more.
    RAGGIE's BACK!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    With the cold winds of the North came the fury of Ragnar

Curtain Jerker

Status

i honestly think that morrision can be a very effective superstar
    speed, jumping and um good looks i guess

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Morrison needs a manager.

He needs a mouth-piece because I honestly believe that's all that's holding him back now. His parkour gimmick has really helped him re-ignite fan interest in him and he is improving a lot in ring from working guys like Sheamus and being in the main event.

His failings are all forgiveable, except for his inability to talk like any other natural human being.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I don't see why he'd need a manager when he's gotten over quite well on his own lately. One assumption that loads of people make (especially since managers are rare) is that if you can't talk then they should be given a manager to get them over. I disagree - if you can't talk, but still manage to get yourself over, you don't need a manager. If you can't talk and can't get yourself over, then yeah, they should consider giving him a manager, but that doesn't apply to Morrison.

As for going in the right direction with Morrison, I disagree to an extent. He should have been given a much bigger part at Wrestlemania, but as things stand he's probably not going to be in too much more than a filler match. Considering how popular he started becoming after the feud with Sheamus, they've dropped the ball a few times: they didn't give him the Rumble title match even though it made more sense than another Orton match; and they aren't giving him anything significant for Wrestlemania. They need to be careful, because if they don't highlight him anytime soon, then all the momentum and fanbase he did generate in recent months will fade away.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Making Odd Since 1980

Status
      Country                    Canada

Morrison doesn't need a manager, simply needs the lame writing he gets from the writers to be way better, instead of cheesy. They always give him cheesy crap to say, which is going to hurt him hugely and quite possibly stop him from ever going anywhere, but where he is. His in ring game has really stepped up, so now the creative team need to realize they need to match his recent efforts.
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

Established Veteran

Status

It does seem that he is getting the Hardy run, building and building to a world title. It doesn't seem like one of their main priorities though. It seems to me like JoMo has been put on the back burner right now with all the preparations for WM being made. I was not particularly happy to see him lose to Dolph Ziggler this week on Raw either even though it was Zigglers debut. I can only hope that loss isn't a preview of what is to come in a feud with Ziggler, with Morrison eventually on the losing end. It seems heels go over more often in cases like this.

In order for Morrison to officially get to that next level, Champion, I think he needs to have a bit of a character overhaul but it seems too late to do that. I've said it before, I think he needs to go back to the way he was during his 2007 ECW championship days. He had NO problem on the mic then, and that character was more intriguing, it had personality. He could be that guy that is too cool for the room, kind of how Shawn Michaels was, but more serious. Shawn liked to joke around a lot, Morrison should be all business and all about himself. I don't think it would hurt if he used the Superkick either. I like the kick off the ropes but it's still not a match ender. I love the C-4 but that can only be used against another opponent athletic enough to pull it off. And, I think the general consensus about the Starship Pain is that while it looks cool it doesn't look devastating enough to end the match. The superkick is iconic and is a move that people can believe ends the match.

The other thing they need to do if Morrison is to make it, is have him in feuds, something meaningful. The feud with Sheamus worked, it make him more relevant, so keep it up, give him something else. I know that right now things are a little tied up, but I am saying after WM or something, get him involved in a legit feud that can elevate him. Maybe if The Miz loses at Mania, you reignite that feud and have Morrison actually go over this time, he will have then beat yet another former champion. you can't just keep throwing him in random matches. While that will keep him in the public eye a little bit, it gives them no reason to really be invested in him like a good feud would.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

Simply The Greatest

Status

Hardy was way more popular than Morrison ever will be. I don't see how anyone can like Morrison. He is athletic, but that is it. Absolutely dreadful talking, and maybe the corniest wrestler. His music is awful, and he is as sloppy as Sabu. I think he will win the World Title this year or next, but it will be on Smackdown. WWE Creative has better things to do than plan out an "epic Morrison title win"

No G In Me

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ModernDay Icon View Post
    As soon as they upgrade his silly pants, I will be all in with Morrison.
    agreed. his look has always made me not want to root for him. looks like he has on uggs with fur at the top and like you said the pants have to go. and its already been mentioned how bad he is on the mic.

his jokes are so corny and forced its painful to watch. im still saying he should be a heel. they need a good writer to supply him the right lines but i think he could probably pull it off with some good teaching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information