Thread: Fedor Emelianenko wanted Strikeforce bout to continue, hints at future fights

Resident MMA Junkie

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Fedor Emelianenko wanted Strikeforce bout to continue, hints at future fights

Fedor Emelianenko wanted Strikeforce bout to continue, hints at future fights

Fedor Emelianenko apparently has had a change of heart.

After suggesting an imminent retirement following Saturday's doctor's-stoppage loss to Antonio Silva in the opening round of Strikeforce's eight-man heavyweight grand prix, the fighter today changed his tune.

In a series of Twitter messages, Emelianenko stated he wanted the fight to continue and said he hasn't decided whether he's going to retire.

The 34-year-old Russian headlined Saturday's Showtime-televised "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva" event at IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J. After a close first round that Emelianenko won on two of the three judges' cards, the much-heavier Silva got him to the mat and unloaded a vicious ground-and-pound assault. Emelianenko's right eye became badly swollen during the exchanges, and prior to the third round, the cageside physician declared the fighter unable to continue.

As a result, Silva earned a TKO win and now advances to the semifinals with fellow weekend winner Sergei Kharitonov.

Conflicting reports then surfaced as to whether Emelianenko called for the fight to be stopped.

"I would have liked to continue to fight," Emelianenko stated in Russian via Twitter. "The doctor did everything possible, but it did not (continue) unfortunately."

He said a decision about whether to continue fighting or instead retire "will be resolved in the near future."

Emelianenko went unbeaten from 2000 to 2010 with a perfect 27-0 record against many of MMA's elite. However, the former PRIDE champion suffered a June 2010 submission loss to Fabricio Werdum, and with the defeat to Silva, now has suffered back-to-back losses. They're the only two legitimate losses of his 11-year pro career.

Despite his opening-round loss, Emelianenko could re-enter the grand prix as an alternate. Although three fighters earned wins in tourney-reserve fights, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) Emelianenko could be the top alternate if a spot does open.

Credit: mmajunkie.com
    So the reports are untrue of him saying h could not continue. I'm actually really glad they are false. I'm also glad he will continue fighting. I do not think he should be given an alternate spot. It is really not fair to the fighters who have not been eliminated and especially to the alternates that have won their fights.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Fedor Emelianenko wanted Strikeforce bout to continue, hints at future fights

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    So the reports are untrue of him saying h could not continue. I'm actually really glad they are false. I'm also glad he will continue fighting. I do not think he should be given an alternate spot. It is really not fair to the fighters who have not been eliminated and especially to the alternates that have won their fights.
    I can see where you are coming from and you have to respect the Doctor I guess but many people thought the stoppage was not necessary.

My only problem with bringing Fedor in as an alternate would be all the whiners whining about Fedor getting another chance.

For that reason, I hope they don't use him as an alternate.

They laid waste to our land, they took it from our hand
    From Atlanta to Savannah, they scorched our earth
    They stole our corn and wheat, they left no food to eat
    They slaughtered all the cattle, took the things of worth
    Well, we got women and children too
    Just the same as you
    Ain't it enough just to know that you got us beat

The hatred will never cease, even now that there's peace
    The feelings will run as deep as the scars we bear
    This ain't cloth we wear it's a rag, we're at the mercy of the carpetbag
    What you call justice is plain unfair
    How the hell can you ever claim
    It's been worth all of the pain
    Just to have us live together under one flag

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

Re: Fedor Emelianenko wanted Strikeforce bout to continue, hints at future fights

You don't think it's unfair to the other people in the tournament? I mean whats the point of it if anyone can loose and just come right back in?

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

You don't think it's unfair to the other people in the tournament? I mean whats the point of it if anyone can loose and just come right back in?
    It would be unfair to them.

But would it not be unfair to Fedor that the match was stopped when it shouldn't have been?

Even Coker hinted that it was.

Just the same as you

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

But it should have been stopped. It was a legit stoppage. This isn't like his first "loss" (not the Werdum one). This was legit stoppage with a legitimate reason.

Every time a fight gets stopped now we have to give the suffering guy a second chance, or just Fedor?

And no offense to anyone but Coker is an idiot.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

But it should have been stopped. It was a legit stoppage. This isn't like his first "loss" (not the Werdum one). This was legit stoppage with a legitimate reason.

Every time a fight gets stopped now we have to give the suffering guy a second chance, or just Fedor?

And no offense to anyone but Coker is an idiot.
    Like I said, I hope they don't make him an alternate although I believe he deserves to be.

I don't want to hear people whining about it.

Just the same as you

Status

I can't say I have too much issue with Fedor being put in as an alternate. Not so much as a Fedor fan, but rather because the alternates they have are pretty weak. For a field of 8 proven, top-level heavyweights (for the most part, at least), its a huge step down when you look at the three alternates they have. Valentin Overeem might be Alistar's brother but he hasn't been really relevant as an MMA fighter in a long time... if ever. Del Rosario is a great propsect but he has no wins of note at this point. He hasn't beaten anyone to elevate him to the point where he "belongs" in that group. Griggs has two sorta notable wins, but he was a big-time underdog in both.

I don't find Fedor being pushed past them as being "disrespectful" to the alternates, because I think the alternates aren't really that deserving of being there in the first place. I think its a better move to put a top-level fighter back in there than potentially have someone like De Rosario or Griggs stepping into the semi final or final....

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

I didn't really think about it like that. While I think it would be unfair, you are correct it would almost be unfair to throw one of those guys in to get eaten and it would definitely be a better night for the fans with him in then one of the other alternates.

Status

I didn't really think about it like that. While I think it would be unfair, you are correct it would almost be unfair to throw one of those guys in to get eaten and it would definitely be a better night for the fans with him in then one of the other alternates.
    I think I'm taking a really pesimistic view of this tournament. I just expect things to fall apart for some reason. So far, so good... but worst case scenario is SF getting through the to finals and having both guys not be able to go due to injuries. So they would either need to bump the Finals show several months or have a finale of two replacements... Would anything be worse than De Resario versus Griggs in the final of this tournament? It would destroy it, no matter how good the rest of the tournament was.

Cult of Personality
    Sawyer

Status
    Well, I guess I better put my pants on!!!
      Country                    ca=Canada

I really dont like replacements. This is not wrestling. Let the original fighters fight and if they get an injury, just wait.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    I really dont like replacements. This is not wrestling. Let the original fighters fight and if they get an injury, just wait.
    Ideally, yes. The problem is with Strikeforce itself and the fact that they allow open contracts. That's great for attracting fighters, but it can cause real problems with trying to plan events. If they plan to have the finale in the late summer or early fall but have to move it back a few months for an injury, they run up against the K1 Grand Prix season, which is likely going to take Overeem away and possibly Kharitonov as well. Bumping a show a few months should seem like a relatively easy solution, but because of SF's situation, its really not.

As for the "fair" question, I do believe the allowance for alternates or re-entry for eliminated fighters was laid out at the beginning of the tournament. So if Fedor is allowed back in, I don't think its them changing the rules mid-tournament but following stuff they laid out from the beginning.

Resident MMA Junkie

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I think I'm taking a really pesimistic view of this tournament. I just expect things to fall apart for some reason. So far, so good... but worst case scenario is SF getting through the to finals and having both guys not be able to go due to injuries. So they would either need to bump the Finals show several months or have a finale of two replacements... Would anything be worse than De Resario versus Griggs in the final of this tournament? It would destroy it, no matter how good the rest of the tournament was.

Agreed, it would make all the action, waiting, and anticipation not worth it at all.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

With so many threads all ready posted about the Fedor fight, I figured I would just post this here. If it should be moved, go ahead and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by fightline.com
    Rashad Evans appeared on last night's edition of PRO MMA Radio, the official radio show of FightLine.com, and gave an interesting theory as to why Russian heavyweight great Fedor Emelianenko lost for the second straight time this past Saturday night at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva to Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva. According to Evans, Emelianenko was upset before the fight because his priest had not yet arrived.

"I have someone close to the situation who was working with Bigfoot," said Evans. "They said that Fedor was all upset because his priest didn't come in. You know, he always has a priest for every one of his fights, and the priest didn't come in or came in late, and it really messed him up mentally.

"When he came out, he seemed to be showing more emotion than he normally does. Normally he has a straight face, but he looked like he was mad, not like the typical Fedor we see."

While Fedor was able to secure the first round on two of the judges scorecards, Silva was able to dominate the last holder of the PRIDE heavyweight championship in the second round. The contest was stopped at the conclusion of the round due to damage Fedor had suffered to his right eye, which was swollen shut.

"That second round, when he [Fedor] broke, I would have never imagined," said Evans. "I would have never imaging that it would have happened to Fedor, but this is the fight business, anything can happen."

Meanwhile, the career of the Russian legend remains unclear after he hinted after the fight that his career as a fighter may be over.

"I want to thank for you for your support," said Fedor after the fight. "Something was wrong from the beginning. I didn't adjust. Maybe it is time to leave."

When pressed in the cage afterward by Showtime announcer, Gus Johnson, whether this was indeed the last time he would fight, the revered Fedor said, "Yes, maybe this is last time, maybe it's high time [to retire]. I had a great, beautiful sporting life. Yes, maybe it's time. Thank you very much for the support. Thank God for everything."
    Fedor Distraught Before Bout With Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva - FightLine.com

Just the same as you

Intercontinental Champion

Status

I think this fight is evidence that the heavyweight division needs to end at around 235-45lb.

Get Ready To Fly

Status

I said it in the tourney thread, and I'll repeat it here, even if the fight would of continued Fedor would of still lost, whether it would of been a decision, stoppage, or KO. He was gased and Big Foot was just overpowering him on the mat.

As for Fedor being a alt for the tourney that's fine, as long as he doesn't jump ahead of the handful of guys that where already announced as alternative fighters for the tourney if was needed. Still don't think it's going to come into play with them needing a fighter to come in unless Barnett is juiced up again and fails a drug test.

Going into the tourney I was a strong believer in anyone but Fedor winning this tourney being the best thing for SF. M1 is a pain in the ass to deal with, and SF needs a young guy that's easy to manage to build up as there #1 HW and the face of the company.

Thread Information